The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Vancouver Canucks 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CANUCKS CENTRE KESLER UNDERGOES HIP SURGERY

VANCOUVER -- Vancouver Canuck centre Ryan Kesler has undergone hip surgery, the NHL team said in a release Tuesday.

The Selke Trophy winner is expected to make a full recovery in 10-to-12 weeks.

Kesler needed the operation to repair his labrum, which is a type of cartilage that surrounds the socket of ball-and-socket joints. It helps to provide stability to the joint while allowing flexibility and motion.

"After consultation with our team physicians following the playoffs, it was deemed that Ryan would require a procedure on his hip," GM Mike Gillis said in a release. "We expect a full recovery and determined this procedure would best serve both Ryan and the team's long-term goals."

Kesler had a career-high 41 goals and added 32 assists in 82 games with the Canucks last year. In 25 playoff games he added seven goals and 12 assists.

The Vancouver Canucks have signed veteran forwards Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to professional tryout contracts.

The 39-year-old Nolan played for Zurich in the Swiss League last season and had seven goals and 19 assists in 24 games. He last appeared in the NHL in 2009-10 with the Minnesota Wild, and has 422 goals and 885 points over 18 seasons in the league.

After being chosen first overall by Quebec in 1990, Nolan has also skated for Colorado, San Jose, Toronto, Phoenix, and Calgary.

Fedoruk, 32, has 97 points and 1,050 penalty minutes in 545 NHL contests. A veteran of nine NHL seasons, his last appearance in the league was also in 2009-10, when he played 50 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

and I thought Nolan retired yrs ago.<_<

• 2 weeks later...

The Vancouver Canucks have signed veteran forwards Owen Nolan and Todd Fedoruk to professional tryout contracts.

The 39-year-old Nolan played for Zurich in the Swiss League last season and had seven goals and 19 assists in 24 games. He last appeared in the NHL in 2009-10 with the Minnesota Wild, and has 422 goals and 885 points over 18 seasons in the league.

After being chosen first overall by Quebec in 1990, Nolan has also skated for Colorado, San Jose, Toronto, Phoenix, and Calgary.

Fedoruk, 32, has 97 points and 1,050 penalty minutes in 545 NHL contests. A veteran of nine NHL seasons, his last appearance in the league was also in 2009-10, when he played 50 games for the Tampa Bay Lightning.

and I thought Nolan retired yrs ago.<_<

Past their prime IMO.

In your opinion, why did this happen?

Next time,they better damm score the 1st goal.......*the team that scored 1st in every game in that series hoisted the cup.

And where the heck did Thomas find the huge horseshoe.....you know,the one stuck up his B)

From what I read the Canucks were seen by many as the best hockey team last year but lost in the finals (heavily in a couple of games). In your opinion, why did this happen?

In my opinion they lost because instead of playing the style of game that got them to the finals they tried to "out-Bruin" the Bruins. Vancouver fell into the trap of trying to win with agressiveness and intimidation instead of trying to win with their superior hockey talents. Needless to say, it didn't work very well.

To be honest they should have taken a page out of Montreal's book. We pushed the Bruins farther than anyone else, and we did it with a less skilled team than what Vancouver had.

In my opinion they lost because instead of playing the style of game that got them to the finals they tried to "out-Bruin" the Bruins. Vancouver fell into the trap of trying to win with agressiveness and intimidation instead of trying to win with their superior hockey talents. Needless to say, it didn't work very well.

To be honest they should have taken a page out of Montreal's book. We pushed the Bruins farther than anyone else, and we did it with a less skilled team than what Vancouver had.

Actually I do recall Nucks winning a game where they just kept hitting boston nonstop.

I have to agree. I just don't think it was possible, in 2010-2011, to out-Bruin the Bruins. Anyone who tried to play a physical game against them got steamrolled. It always turned into a war of the retaliatory penalties, and nobody drew them better than Boston. The implication, with what Boston was getting away with, was that the refs were going to put away their whistle and essentially allow almost anything. It didn't quite work out that way in some critical junctures.

Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

CANUCKS SIGN LEGACE, BEGIN TO PROFESSIONAL TRYOUTS

The Vancouver Canucks have signed veteran goalie Manny Legace and forward Steve Begin to professional tryouts.

Legace, has spent 11 seasons in the NHL, most notably with the Detroit Red Wings, where he won a Stanley Cup as a backup in 2002, and the St. Louis Blues, where he was an NHL All-Star during the 2007-08 season.

The 38-year-old spent last season with the Iserlohn Roosters in Germany.

In 365 career games in the NHL, Legace compiled 187 wins, 24 shutouts, a 2.41 goals against average, and a .912 save percentage.

Begin spent last season with the Nashville Predators, playing predominately in the AHL.

Begin, 33, has played in 12 seasons in the NHL with the Calgary Flames, Montreal Canadiens, Dallas Stars, Boston Bruins, and Predators where he amassed 100 points and 539 penalty minutes in 488 games.

* One of OUR former players that I liked & miss...Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

rloo-big_65443.jpg

An injury will keep goaltender Roberto Luongo out of the Vancouver Canucks' NHL game against the Chicago Blackhawks on Wednesday night. Luongo has been listed as day-to-day due to what coach Alain Vigneault called an upper-body injury.

"It's nothing serious," Vigneault told reporters Tuesday.

Backup Cory Schneider will start against Chicago.

Luongo had missed practice both Monday and Tuesday. He made 23 stops in Sunday's 4-1 victory over the New York Islanders.

Luongo was hit in the mask by a Mark Streit slapshot during the win over the Islanders. He said later the shot bent the cage of his mask but didn't hurt him.

The Canucks goaltender is 7-5-1 this season, has a 2.87 goals-against average and a .896 save percentage. Luongo has started Vancouver's last five games, including a 6-2 win over Chicago on Nov. 6 when he made 38 saves.

Schneider has a 2-3-0 record, a 2.38 goals-against average and .918 save percentage.

• 4 weeks later...

Man...booth sure has had his run of bad luck during his NHL career.....injuries & all.

• 1 month later...

The Vancouver Canucks are serious contenders to capture the Stanley Cup. What might not be so clear, however, is who will be in net to guide them on their playoff run. If the regular season ended tomorrow, who should be the Canucks' starting goalie for the playoffs - Roberto Luongo or Cory Schneider?

H.SEDIN MISSES PRACTICE; WILL HAVE CT SCAN ON INJURED ANKLE

138490095-430x296.jpg

The Vancouver Canucks' current ironman could see his streak come to an end.

Captain Henrik Sedin was not at the Xcel Energy Center in Minnesota for Wednesday's practice and was seen at the team's hotel limping around in a large walking boot.

X-rays on Sedin's ankle were inconclusive so he is having a CT scan in Minnesota today. His playing status won't be known until after the scan.

Sedin was injured in Tuesday's win over the Nashville Predators, when a point shot by defenceman Kevin Klein struck him in the right ankle early in the first period.

Sedin dropped to the ice and had to be helped to the dressing room.

He returned to the game and proceeded to assist on the Canucks' first two goals.

Sedin has appeared in 552 consecutive games, the second-longest active streak in the NHL. Jay Bouwmeester of the Calgary Flames sits atop the list at 559 consecutive games.

Dale Weiss will also have a CT scan after blocking a shot in last night's game.

Hey Habs fans, couldn't find a good place for this and I can't start a topic so this will have to do.

I write a blog on the Vancouver Canucks, and over the past couple years there's been a lot going around about the Canucks being the most hated team in hockey.

Our blog is doing a 29 part series on exactly why fans of the other teams hate the Canucks and their fans and we are looking to interview one fan from each team via email or IM and find out why or if you do at all.

If any of you are interested shoot me a message, or get to us on our twitter @browntobure.

Thanks

BrowntoBure

• 2 weeks later...

23 game streak at home on the line tonight vs Detroit

Archived