The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Boston Bruins 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From what i've read, and from some of your usernames, i gather we have a big rivalry with the bruins....any chance of someone telling me how this rivalry came about, and of any notable incidents between the teams over the years, what do their supporters feel about the Habs and what your feelings are about the Bruins?

Personally, I can't stand the Bruins with any molecule of my body because of what happened this past March, and two players: Zdeno Chara and Greg Campbell. Chara, in my opinion, intentionally shoved Max Pacioretty's head into a stanchion, long after he'd gave up possession of the puck, and went completely unpunished. Why was he unpunished? I suppose nobody can really know... Apart from Colin Campbell, at the time the VP of hockey ops and sole disciplinarian. Who just happens to be Greg Campbell's father. But I'm sure that has nothing to do with anything. There are other historical reasons, of course, but I'm not old enough to remember most of them apart from another cheapshot on Richard Zednik by Kyle McLaren. I just can't stand the team, the city, the arena, the fans, the fact that any of it exists, etc. I've met one or two reasonable Bruins fans who can carry on a human conversation without guttural grunts or screeches, but not too many.

I can't tolerate a team that acts like that as a matter of policy. They're just a classless thug team through and through, and they play a style appealing to a depraved audience that I don't find tasteful.

I'm sure some others here could elucidate on historical incidents and other reasons. Perhaps more reasonable and well-phrased reasons, too, as I find it hard not to be emotional about it. And of course there's people who are ambivalent about the whole thing, or fans of both teams simultaneously. But I think those people are weird. :lol:

Rivalries in hockey are usually born from playoffs history or from geographic closeness. IN the case of the Bruins, it's the playoffs. They are one of the original 6 teams of the league and this year was the 33th time the Habs faced the Bruins in the playoffs, winning 24 of the series. It's sort of a battle of toughness vs finess , the black & gold bad guys vs the red white and blue knights in shining armor :lol: . Obviously, speed, skill and physical play is present in all the teams but repeated confrontations brings out the competitive spirit and since both teams are so old, if you're brought up fan of one team, it comes with being brought up to hate the other.

Thanks for the insight guys. Habs 93, i watched the videos you posted, and i've got to say they were brutal hits. The boy injured in the first video, am I correct in thinking that he is known as Patches? I read that he sustained a very serious injury, and thankfully his rehab is going well. Hopefully he can return and be the player he was, and fulfill the potential he has, but with the nature of the incident and injury it will be no surprise if it takes time to overcome the massive psychological barrier that'll be there. I watched all seven of the play off final games and the Bruins, imo, didn't endear themselves to the neutral, to my 'untrained' eye they looked as if they wanted to bully and intimidate their way to the cup, Vancouver to me didn't appear as if they could match the physical play and seemed to lose focus because of this. ColRouleBleu, you paint a great picture of the rivalry, good guys v bad, skill versus physical, and I for one can't wait for them to lock horns again. I've been fortunate to have attended many sporting fixtures with massive rivalries and I love the intensity and passion of it all. Similar to hockey, these rivalries have been built up over many years and mean so much to those involved.

Thanks for the insight guys. Habs 93, i watched the videos you posted, and i've got to say they were brutal hits. The boy injured in the first video, am I correct in thinking that he is known as Patches? I read that he sustained a very serious injury, and thankfully his rehab is going well. Hopefully he can return and be the player he was, and fulfill the potential he has, but with the nature of the incident and injury it will be no surprise if it takes time to overcome the massive psychological barrier that'll be there.

Indeed he is. :) He's a tough kid, though, and he gets involved in really advanced physical training. He went through a bunch of weird injuries last season. Nothing as serious as this, of course, but I think he'll be alright, especially considering we picked up Erik Cole. Cole's a seasoned veteran who had a similar serious injury, who might be able to impart some useful knowledge to him.

• 3 weeks later...

TSN is reporting that:

"Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli delivered some bleak news to a Boston newspaper on Wednesday.

"Marc Savard won't play this year," Chiarelli told the Boston Globe. "Nothing has changed in our monitoring. He'll be examined and he'll be declared unfit to play.

"Based on what I see, what I hear, what I read, and what I'm told, it's very unlikely Marc will play again," Chiarelli said."

Boston Bruins

bruins.gif

Conference: East Division:North East

Arena: TD Northbank Garden

Captain: Zdeno Chara Headcoach: Claude Julien

2010-2011 Season Results: 46-25-11-103 Rank:3rd in the East

2010-2011 Playoffs: Champions Stanley Cups:1929 1939 1941 1970 1972 2011

With three of their four playoff series going to seven games, the Bruins traveled a long, but fulfilling road to capture the Stanley Cup. Conn Smythe Trophy winner Tim Thomas was a steadying influence between the pipes, posting a 1.98 goals-against average and a .940 save percentage in the post-season, along with four shutouts.

The 37-year-old is fresh off collecting his second Vezina Trophy and will give Boston a solid chance to defend their crown in 2011-2012.

Here's a look at what's in store for this season.

Additions: D Joe Corvo, LW Benoit Pouliot

Subtractions: RW Michael Ryder, D Tomas Kaberle, RW Mark Recchi

Prospect Report: With youngsters like Tyler Seguin, Brad Marchand and Adam McQuaid already contributing for the big club, the Bruins' system played a big role in their recent success. And there's more where that came from as Dougie Hamilton and Ryan Spooner will look to make an impact in the near future.

Hamilton, another asset from the trade that sent Phil Kessel to Toronto two year ago, was the ninth overall pick in this year's draft and has the ability to provide toughness and scoring on the blueline. Spooner, 19, is undersized for a forward but what he lacks in bulk he makes up for in creativity, which he showcased by netting 62 points in 50 games last season in the OHL.

Breakout Player To Watch: Tyler Seguin may have seen action in 74 games during last year's regular season, but it was his post-season play that gave Bruins fans a real taste of what's to come. After scoring 11 goals and 11 assists in the regular season, Seguin filled in for an injured Patrice Bergeron in the playoffs and provided an instant spark with three goals and seven points in 13 appearances. With a full season under his belt, we can expect to see an even bigger contribution from the young centre.

Marquee Matchup: Jan. 7 vs. Canucks - The Vancouver Canucks will be looking for a small measure of revenge when they travel to Boston for a rematch of last year's Stanley Cup Final. Their seven-game series had plenty of bad blood, which should make for a very interesting mid-season matchup between two of the NHL's best clubs.

Other Dates To Watch: Oct. 12 at Hurricanes - Tomas Kaberle left Boston for Carolina as a free agent, and in a separate move Joe Corvo was shipped from Carolina to Boston via trade. The two defenceman who swapped addresses in the summer will take the ice against each other early in the season. Oct. 27 and 29 vs. Canadiens - The Habs and Bruins had some epic battles last season, highlighted by their slugfest in Boston in February and the Pacioretty-Chara incident the following month. With so much emotion and intensity between the two teams, this home-and-home series should kick off another great rivalry for the upcoming season.

Reason To Get Excited: It will be a tough act to follow as the Bruins try to hoist the Stanley Cup once again. For a championship team, the Bruins did well not to lose any key parts of their core and their younger players will benefit from the experience they gained in the playoffs. Boston isn't going away anytime soon.

Home Hardware: Tim Thomas has taken home the Vezina in two of the last three seasons and unless Father Time catches up to him suddenly, he very well could be in line to repeat that feat in the coming year. He notched 35 wins while posting a 2.00 goals-against average and a .938 save percentage and nine shutouts during the 2010-11 campaign.

On The Hot Seat: Capturing the Stanley Cup cures all ills. Heading into the season, the Bruins don't have any players under fire. Whether they will be able to deliver another powerful performance remains to be seen, but the pressure is off at least for the time being.

It's Your! Call: Can the Bruins stand strong atop the NHL and repeat as Stanley Cup champions?

The Bruins won their division last year with a comfortable seven points separating them and the second-place Canadiens and they entered the playoffs ranked third in the Eastern Conference. But the road to glory was not an easy one. Three times the Bruins were pushed to a deciding Game 7 and while they emerged victorious, the margin for error was slim.

With little change to their lineup, you can expect the Bruins to be in the mix at the top of the Eastern Conference and return to the post-season as they attempt to defend what is currently theirs.

Can Tim Thomas continue to perform at an elite level at 37-years-old? How will Tyler Seguin fare in his second season in Boston? Can the Bruins' depth continue to help them overcome any challenge put their way?

• 2 weeks later...

Read in the paper today that Marc Savard will get his name on the cup. I have nothing against Savard and hope he recovers from his post concussive syndrome. That being said the rules state that to get your name on the cup you have to play in 41 games in the regular season or 1 in the finals.

It seems that the league bends over backwards for the Bruins, so much so that it disgusts me. How many other players have failed to get their names on the cup due to lengthy injuries? The league sure didn't step in in their case. It cheapens the honor of having your name engraved on the cup if the league is just willing to put any player's name on it regardless of the fact that he didn't earn it.

Read in the paper today that Marc Savard will get his name on the cup. I have nothing against Savard and hope he recovers from his post concussive syndrome. That being said the rules state that to get your name on the cup you have to play in 41 games in the regular season or 1 in the finals.

It seems that the league bends over backwards for the Bruins, so much so that it disgusts me. How many other players have failed to get their names on the cup due to lengthy injuries? The league sure didn't step in in their case. It cheapens the honor of having your name engraved on the cup if the league is just willing to put any player's name on it regardless of the fact that he didn't earn it.

I'm ok with it, savard is great, he shouldn't be penalized because some <edit> ruined his career.

I have no problem with Savard getting his name on the cup. The old rules would've never allowed it, but the league has since revised the rules.

What bothers me, is that the b's are one team who have lost a player-for a significant amount of time-due to concussions. Yet Chara can plow Patches into a stanchion without any guilt.

You'd think a team that lost a key player to that type of injury, would be a lil more aware. Imo just goes to show the b's character.

To me, Savard has been a key player for the b's and would've been on the ice had his health allowed it.

I have no problem with Savard getting his name on the cup. The old rules would've never allowed it, but the league has since revised the rules.

What bothers me, is that the b's are one team who have lost a player-for a significant amount of time-due to concussions. Yet Chara can plow Patches into a stanchion without any guilt.

You'd think a team that lost a key player to that type of injury, would be a lil more aware. Imo just goes to show the b's character.

To me, Savard has been a key player for the b's and would've been on the ice had his health allowed it.

Yeah the Bruins are nothing if not hypocritical when it comes to the Savard issue calling for Cooke's head yet take no responsibility for the Chara hit on Max. I have no real issue about Savard getting his name on the cup it just irks me that Boston seems to be favored by the league and gets whatever they want all they have to do is ask.

I'm sure Savard would have played in the playoffs given the opportunity but this is a slippery slope if you ask me. I think the Savard case should be an exception not the rule due to his injury.

Yeah the Bruins are nothing if not hypocritical when it comes to the Savard issue calling for Cooke's head yet take no responsibility for the Chara hit on Max. I have no real issue about Savard getting his name on the cup it just irks me that Boston seems to be favored by the league and gets whatever they want all they have to do is ask.

I'm sure Savard would have played in the playoffs given the opportunity but this is a slippery slope if you ask me. I think the Savard case should be an exception not the rule due to his injury.

I have nothing against Savard either. He was one of the more talented players on the B's. But frankly, the guy did nothing to contribute to the Bruins winning the Cup last year. It's not like he played 20-25 games and then got knocked out for the year. So while I'm happy for Savard that he gets his name on the Cup, I think it's a little bit of a slap in the face to guys who worked really hard to get their names there or to guys in the past whose names have been omitted previously because they fell a game or two short of the cut-off. I don't think this has much to do with it being the Bruins though. I think Crosby or Markov would have been given the same honor, for example, if the Pens or Habs had won the Cup.

As far as a lack of respect goes, I've said many time before that the Bruins are hypocrites for how they act on the ice. But it's not just Chara. It's a complete team mentality of lacking any amount of respect for the opposition's safety. It starts with Julien and it goes down through Chara, Marchand, Thornton, Ference, Campbell, Horton, Lucic, Paille, Boychuk, and even Thomas. There's an attitude of being above the rulebook in Boston, which hopefully will change if the league finally decides to crack down on their reckless play.

I have nothing against Savard either. He was one of the more talented players on the B's. But frankly, the guy did nothing to contribute to the Bruins winning the Cup last year. It's not like he played 20-25 games and then got knocked out for the year. So while I'm happy for Savard that he gets his name on the Cup, I think it's a little bit of a slap in the face to guys who worked really hard to get their names there or to guys in the past whose names have been omitted previously because they fell a game or two short of the cut-off. I don't think this has much to do with it being the Bruins though. I think Crosby or Markov would have been given the same honor, for example, if the Pens or Habs had won the Cup.

As far as a lack of respect goes, I've said many time before that the Bruins are hypocrites for how they act on the ice. But it's not just Chara. It's a complete team mentality of lacking any amount of respect for the opposition's safety. It starts with Julien and it goes down through Chara, Marchand, Thornton, Ference, Campbell, Horton, Lucic, Paille, Boychuk, and even Thomas. There's an attitude of being above the rulebook in Boston, which hopefully will change if the league finally decides to crack down on their reckless play.

Exactly my point, though said much better than I did :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

There's more to the rings than just what's on the outside. The inside features intricate custom engraving. On one side is engraved the team's playoff slogan that decorated the locker room during the playoff run, "Full 60+ to History." The logo of the Bruins' playoff opponents and the score of each of those series also decorate the interior. -NHL.com article about the Bruins rings...

Honestly...I hate this more and more every time I hear or read about them.

There's more to the rings than just what's on the outside. The inside features intricate custom engraving. On one side is engraved the team's playoff slogan that decorated the locker room during the playoff run, "Full 60+ to History." The logo of the Bruins' playoff opponents and the score of each of those series also decorate the interior. -NHL.com article about the Bruins rings...

Honestly...I hate this more and more every time I hear or read about them.

Do what I do,,,don't read about them unless something bad happens to them. :)

Archived