The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Toronto Maple Leafs 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

Just on a side note, my wife is a very determined and strong minded lady, I have tried to sway her towards the Habs, but alas she still backs the leafs :( sorry folks haha!!!!

ah well... your evenings watching hockey will become umm...shall we say animated? :lol:

Ahhh,,, where do i begin. :lol:

I could write a book but i'll keep it short.

The Habs and Leafs are the two oldest franchises in the League and represent the two largest cities in Canada. We've met many times in the playoffs over our histories.

Leaf fans like to refer to themselves as Leaf Nation and having the best fans in the world. You can see why that attitude would get under our skin.

My personal dislike has much to do with their tainted history and the fact that we're force fed the bias that our National broadcasting station likes to impose upon us. Hockey night in Canada is often referred to as Hockey night in Toronto by rival fans.

The rivalry has eased of late, because it's been quite awhile since we've met each other in the playoffs.It seems like the Bruins have displaced the Leafs as our most hated rival of late. This is especially true of our younger fans. Us old dogs with the long memories think differently. :lol:

Gee thanks CRB. Your always thinking of me. :D

Also I believe there was this fact: Toronto was the largest English speaking language city in canada, while Montreal Francophones felt opressed by English speakers. Take a look at the film "The Rocket: The Maurice Richard Story" as it goes in further detail on the whole English VS. French era, and even shows Toronto president calling Richard "pea soup", only to then go right up to his wife and say he will pay Richard 5 million to play in toronto.

Also I believe there was this fact: Toronto was the largest English speaking language city in canada, while Montreal Francophones felt opressed by English speakers. Take a look at the film "The Rocket: The Maurice Richard Story" as it goes in further detail on the whole English VS. French era, and even shows Toronto president calling Richard "pea soup", only to then go right up to his wife and say he will pay Richard 5 million to play in toronto.

they just mad jealous

also

the movie also shows what a little edit: annoying player sean avery is :P

didnt know the word i used was bad sorry :D

Actually Montréal was the largest city in Canada... period. Then because of language issues and other various reasons, people and businesses (read better jobs) started to move to Toronto. There's always been a rivalry between to two cities that goes beyond hockey but hockey was used to express it. Less so today.

I'll look out for this film, in your opinion is it a fairly accurate representation of that period of the sport? For me it will be a good watch, if only to get a bit of an idea of what the man achieved. With regards to the Leafs, do they have a larger supporter base than the Habs, what kind of attendance do they get at home games?

With regards to the Leafs, do they have a larger supporter base than the Habs

Potentially, but I think a lot of their popularity is overstated due to CBC's infatuation with them. As well, there's a lot of older people (and their families) who are Leafs fans despite living in the markets of other teams (Basically, every Canadian NHL city except for Montreal :P) because from 1938 until 1970 there was only the Leafs and the Habs. A whole lot of people picked the Leafs, and some stuck with them even after their cities got teams.

what kind of attendance do they get at home games?

Always sold out. Thing is, though, Air Canada Centre is notorious for the crowd it attracts. It's very "corporate", for lack of a better word. If you can, check out a recent Leafs home game (NHL Vault might be a way to do that for not too much money, but I'm not sure if it'll work in NZ), and look at the lower bowl. Particularly the seats right on the glass. You'll usually see a lot of people in suits, that sort of thing. The Leafs' ownership group, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, is widely regarded (especially by Leafs fans) of being a money-grubbing, cheap organization that runs the Leafs purely to sell merchandise and luxury box tickets.

Potentially, but I think a lot of their popularity is overstated due to CBC's infatuation with them. As well, there's a lot of older people (and their families) who are Leafs fans despite living in the markets of other teams (Basically, every Canadian NHL city except for Montreal :P) because from 1938 until 1970 there was only the Leafs and the Habs. A whole lot of people picked the Leafs, and some stuck with them even after their cities got teams.

Always sold out. Thing is, though, Air Canada Centre is notorious for the crowd it attracts. It's very "corporate", for lack of a better word. If you can, check out a recent Leafs home game (NHL Vault might be a way to do that for not too much money, but I'm not sure if it'll work in NZ), and look at the lower bowl. Particularly the seats right on the glass. You'll usually see a lot of people in suits, that sort of thing. The Leafs' ownership group, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, is widely regarded (especially by Leafs fans) of being a money-grubbing, cheap organization that runs the Leafs purely to sell merchandise and luxury box tickets.

leafs suck.

• 2 weeks later...

GUSTAVSSON FEELING HEALTHY, SEES POSITIVE THINGS FOR LEAFS

gus_0817a_64231.jpg

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=373973

That will end after they play they're first regular season game.

:lol: +1

Haven't we been hearing this for a decade now?

I feel sort of bad for him. I remember the hype that he was some huge top prospect everyone should watch out for. (I didn't understand how he went undrafted). And then he makes the NHL only to have heart problems and injuries every other game. Worst of all hes in Toronto.

I feel sort of bad for him. I remember the hype that he was some huge top prospect everyone should watch out for. (I didn't understand how he went undrafted). And then he makes the NHL only to have heart problems and injuries every other game. Worst of all hes in Toronto.

When Gustavsson gets into a rhythm, his heart plays up or the Leafs defence desert him

• 4 weeks later...

But they're still going to miss the playoffs.

When the Toronto Maple Leafs open training camp on Friday, they will have Luke Schenn ready to report on the blue line.

Schenn agreed to a five-year contract with the club on Thursday night. While exact details of the deal have not been made official, It's believed that the deal is worth $3.6 million per season.

Schenn, 21, played all 82 games last season and scored five goals and 17 assists. The Saskatoon native is entering his fourth season with the Maple Leafs.

The 6'2, 215-pound rearguard finished his three-year, $2.625 million entry level contract at the end of last season. He was Toronto's first round pick, fifth overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

But they're still going to miss the playoffs.

When the Toronto Maple Leafs open training camp on Friday, they will have Luke Schenn ready to report on the blue line.

Schenn agreed to a five-year contract with the club on Thursday night. While exact details of the deal have not been made official, It's believed that the deal is worth $3.6 million per season.

Schenn, 21, played all 82 games last season and scored five goals and 17 assists. The Saskatoon native is entering his fourth season with the Maple Leafs.

The 6'2, 215-pound rearguard finished his three-year, $2.625 million entry level contract at the end of last season. He was Toronto's first round pick, fifth overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

they might but tthey will give us some presure, lombardi, franson, and liles, are going to help that team out a lot.. blah

they might but tthey will give us some presure, lombardi, franson, and liles, are going to help that team out a lot.. blah

You're new to this, so I don't blame you. :lol: But you must always remember that the hockey media is almost entirely based in Toronto. They live and die Toronto. To get the ratings, views, and ad sales they need to survive, they cater to these guys:

The shining hope that wafts from TO turns to a bitter wind of failure and heartbreak. Mere weeks from now, the first waffles will start flying. ;)

Archived