• 1 month later...

Buffalo Sabres

Buffalo.gif

Conference: East Division:North East

Arena: First Niagara Center

Captain: TBD Headcoach: Lindy Ruff

2010-2011 Season Results: 49-29-10-96 Rank:7th in the East

2010-2011 Playoffs: Eliminated in 7 games - 1st round Stanley Cups:None

Buffalo's fortunes as a franchise seemingly turned on a dime when businessman Terry Pegula acquired control of his beloved Sabres. Not only did it mean the team finally had solid financial backing, but a passionate owner (who even wept at the sight of the club's greatest icon, Gilbert Perreault).

The team responded in kind to the newfound love affair, losing in regulation only four times over the season's remaining 24 games and moving from 10th in the Eastern Conference to seventh. The team also came within one game of knocking off the defending Eastern Conference Champions, losing to the Philadelphia Flyers in seven games.

So with a big bankroll and a fresh start, what will the 2011-12 season hold for the Sabres?

Here's a look at what's in store for this season.

Additions: D Christian Ehrhoff, LW Ales Kotalik, RW Ville Leino, G Drew McIntyre, D Robyn Regehr.

Subtractions: D Chris Butler, F Paul Byron, D Tim Conboy, C Tim Connolly, G Patrick Lalime, RW Mark Mancari, D Steve Montador, RW Mark Parrish.

Prospect Report: After getting full seasons out of diminutive rookies Tyler Ennis and Nathan Gerbe, the time may be right for the Sabres to promote some muscle in the form of Zack Kassian. Though the forward ranks are crowded, Kassian's body might be better suited to throwing his weight around the NHL instead of the American Hockey League.

Luke Adam could be ahead of him in the queue after a 19-game stint with the Sabres last season. However, it might come down to who impresses more in training camp and the position they play (Adam being a centre and Kassian playing the wing).

The team will also be keeping a close eye on Marcus Foligno as he jumps to the AHL, as well as Mark Pysyk and 2011 first-rounder Joel Armia who should garner some attention at the World Juniors.

Breakout Player to Watch: Nathan Gerbe is a small man that plays a big man's game. He proved last season that he had a penchant for streaky scoring, as evidenced by the eight goals he scored in the season's final 14 games to double his output for the year.

If he can put it together for a full season, he could become a key part of the Sabres' attack. Tim Connolly's departure also opens up some power play minutes that could go Gerbe's way should he produce early in the season.

Marquee Match-Up: Nov. 4 vs. Calgary - Baptism by Fire. Less than a month into the NHL season, Robyn Regehr will line up against his former Flames teammates for the first time ever. If the Sabres hope to neutralize Jarome Iginla and the Flames' attack, Regehr and any tricks he's learned practicing against them for the last 12 years may prove useful.

Other Dates To Watch: Oct. 7 and 8 - Sabres kick off the NHL season in Helsinki and Stockholm. Feb. 16 - the Sabres return to Philadelphia, scene of their 2011 playoff demise and a homecoming for Ville Leino. Mar. 3 - Christian Ehrhoff returns to Vancouver for the first time since he saw the Bruins hoist the Cup.

Reason to Get Excited: Hope. There finally seems to be some of it in Buffalo and Pegula is the primary catalyst behind that. After years of putting together competitive teams on a shoe-string budget only to see players leave for more cash, Pegula has beefed up the team's roster and payroll significantly. If the team prospers from the new acquisitions, the city could become a destination of choice instead of a launching pad.

Home Hardware: Strong goaltending is the key to any competitive NHL season and the Sabres have just that in veteran netminder Ryan Miller. With new arrivials Regehr and Ehrhoff bolstering the blueline, it will be that much more difficult to beat Miller and his second Vezina Trophy in three seasons could be in the cards.

On The Hot Seat: General Manager Darcy Regier (who signed a two-year contract extenstion last fall) was given the green light to spend money on improving the team and the Sabres were more than $3 million over the salary cap in the middle of the off-season. If Regier can't make the Sabres contenders in the East, could his long-standing tenure be the first casualty of the new regime?

Regier is well-respected around the league and obviously trusted by Pegula, but if the new high-priced additions don't produce, the Sabres might find the GM easier to replace than long-time head coach Lindy Ruff.

It's Your! Call: How will the new-look Sabres fare in one of the league's least predictable divisions?

Few would argue that the defending champion Bruins are the team to beat in the Northeast, but with the Sabres having spent a large part of the 2010-11 season out of the playoff picture, can they be expected to immediately contend for the division title or even home-ice advantage?

The Senators are looking at a rebuilding year, but with the Canadiens and Leafs both looking for drastic improvements over last year, the Sabres could be hard-pressed for easy points within the division.

The team got a spark last season from the ownership change, but a long summer could have diminished that spark a bit.

So will an increase in team spending mean a rise in the standings?

Buffalo Sabres defenceman Tyler Myers agreed to terms on a seven-year, 38.5 million contract extension on Thursday.

The contract includes a $10 million signing bonus on July 1, 2012, the first day of the new contract. Myers will be paid $2 million in the first year of the deal, followed by $6 million in the second year before declining annually to $3 million in the final year.

Myers, who has one year remaining on the entry-level deal he signed in 2009, won the Calder Trophy in 2010 after putting up 11 goals and 37 assists in his rookie season.

Last season, he scored 10 goals and added 27 assists and 40 penalty minutes. Myers was selected in the first round, 12th overall, by the Sabres in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.

They still need to make a big move to get under the Cap. Currently 3.5 mill over the limit with a 23 man roster (as per cap geek).

Depends on how much of that is bonus money. I can't remember if they need to hit the 23-man number of if that is only a maximum, but if they don't, then that number is also technically with an extra forward and extra defenseman - they could send one of each down to the minors (or waive them, depending on who it is) to lower that number

Depends on how much of that is bonus money. I can't remember if they need to hit the 23-man number of if that is only a maximum, but if they don't, then that number is also technically with an extra forward and extra defenseman - they could send one of each down to the minors (or waive them, depending on who it is) to lower that number

Unfortunately for them, all bonus money counts directly against the cap this year since it's the last year of this CBA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two games too few. <_<

Yea,but I'm actually kinda surprised he got that......not that I'm complaining about it.;)

GO SHANNY!

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty classless move by Tootoo. But then again, I don't expect much from him. Nice to see Miller stand up for himself and start punching the dummy.

Tootoo drove hard to the net. There's no doubt he decided he was going in regardless of whether he hit the goalie, but I actually believe that he makes as much of an effort to avoid Miller as he can. The D man blocks off any chance he has of cutting to the middle and if Tootoo wants to finish his play, he either has to run himself into the post or there's going to be a collision with the goalie. Without a doubt, it's a penalty. But if we want to use the NHL's favorite expression, it actually applies here because this one IS a hockey play.

The whole reason there is even a debate about suspension here is because of the Lucic hit. If that hadn't happened, Tootoo would have gotten 2 minutes and that would have been the end of it. Just look at what happened in the LA-Mtl game: Penner ran Price just as hard and even clips him in the mask. Yet all it yields is a 2 minute penalty. Why? Because the refs in the Buffalo game over-reacted knowing the league had blown the Lucic call and wanted to make amends to the Sabres. The bottom line is that Lucic should have been suspended for 5 games, for a flagrant, intentional headshot. Tootoo should not be suspended, and if he is, it speaks only to Shanahan's attempt to appease the Sabres' clamoring for justice. Buffalo has every right to be upset, but what Tootoo did was a penalty and not suspension worthy; the Sabres should instead be upset with Lucic and especially with Shanahan for dropping the ball, and as Lindy stated, bringing about open season on goaltenders.

Tootoo drove hard to the net. There's no doubt he decided he was going in regardless of whether he hit the goalie, but I actually believe that he makes as much of an effort to avoid Miller as he can. The D man blocks off any chance he has of cutting to the middle and if Tootoo wants to finish his play, he either has to run himself into the post or there's going to be a collision with the goalie. Without a doubt, it's a penalty. But if we want to use the NHL's favorite expression, it actually applies here because this one IS a hockey play.

The whole reason there is even a debate about suspension here is because of the Lucic hit. If that hadn't happened, Tootoo would have gotten 2 minutes and that would have been the end of it. Just look at what happened in the LA-Mtl game: Penner ran Price just as hard and even clips him in the mask. Yet all it yields is a 2 minute penalty. Why? Because the refs in the Buffalo game over-reacted knowing the league had blown the Lucic call and wanted to make amends to the Sabres. The bottom line is that Lucic should have been suspended for 5 games, for a flagrant, intentional headshot. Tootoo should not be suspended, and if he is, it speaks only to Shanahan's attempt to appease the Sabres' clamoring for justice. Buffalo has every right to be upset, but what Tootoo did was a penalty and not suspension worthy; the Sabres should instead be upset with Lucic and especially with Shanahan for dropping the ball, and as Lindy stated, bringing about open season on goaltenders.

Agreed. I don't think Tootoo should be suspended, but I think he was pretty aware of what he was doing. 9/10 players can avoid the collision with the goaltender in this situation by stopping or by going around the net. Okay, sure... Going around the net is not seen as a "hard" play, and maybe Tootoo is expected to make the "hard" play when it's available, but I think you can have enough respect for a someone who's just getting back from suffering a concussion to not flagrantly jump into them. Tootoo is a terrible player, IMO. All diving/drama and being a huge pest. Part of me disliking this play is, indeed, his reputation.

Agreed. I don't think Tootoo should be suspended, but I think he was pretty aware of what he was doing. 9/10 players can avoid the collision with the goaltender in this situation by stopping or by going around the net. Okay, sure... Going around the net is not seen as a "hard" play, and maybe Tootoo is expected to make the "hard" play when it's available, but I think you can have enough respect for a someone who's just getting back from suffering a concussion to not flagrantly jump into them. Tootoo is a terrible player, IMO. All diving/drama and being a huge pest. Part of me disliking this play is, indeed, his reputation.

Don't disagree with you on Tootoo. I've seen what he's done on other occasions and he's thrown his share of dirty hits. But I still don't think it's right to make him a scapegoat and suspend him in place of the guy who really should have been suspended... Lucic. Tootoo is simply the guy who it's convenient for the NHL to suspend because it helps them save face with the Sabres and goalies. But that's not justice. I'm fairly certain that Max Pacioretty's suspension was also heavier because of the backlash Shanny got over the non-call on Lucic too. Yet it's ridiculous to see Shanahan trying to cover up one mistake with another every second week. To hear that he told Max his hit was similar to Cooke-on-Savard, then deny it after the fact also lessens Shanny's credibility further. Max has no reason to make this up. Stephane Quintal had to come in as a public relations stop-gap and try to pass off that it was a misunderstanding... the league's office has been a joke since the day Bettman took office and it's only getting worse. A suspension to Tootoo would be another embarrassment for the NHL to try to explain.

Don't disagree with you on Tootoo. I've seen what he's done on other occasions and he's thrown his share of dirty hits. But I still don't think it's right to make him a scapegoat and suspend him in place of the guy who really should have been suspended... Lucic. Tootoo is simply the guy who it's convenient for the NHL to suspend because it helps them save face with the Sabres and goalies. But that's not justice. I'm fairly certain that Max Pacioretty's suspension was also heavier because of the backlash Shanny got over the non-call on Lucic too. Yet it's ridiculous to see Shanahan trying to cover up one mistake with another every second week. To hear that he told Max his hit was similar to Cooke-on-Savard, then deny it after the fact also lessens Shanny's credibility further. Max has no reason to make this up. Stephane Quintal had to come in as a public relations stop-gap and try to pass off that it was a misunderstanding... the league's office has been a joke since the day Bettman took office and it's only getting worse. A suspension to Tootoo would be another embarrassment for the NHL to try to explain.

Agreed. I really don't think you can suspend Tootoo. It would be as if the league had just decided, "Wow! Check out this new rule we have concerning players hitting goaltenders and the suspensions that are warranted as a result!" If that hit is suspended, I'm sorry, but the league is going to have to suspend 150 other players over the remainder of the year. The proper call was made on the ice. A 5 minute major and a game misconduct. It's sort of a shame Gaustad got 4 minutes in penalties though.

Archived