The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Peter Budaj

ColRouleBleu

How well did he do with Colorado last season?

Not the greatest...I think he had a sub .900 save %, but he wasn't exactly playing on the greatest of teams. He seems like the kind of guy who is reliable as a back up, but who struggles when called on to do too much.

Not the greatest...I think he had a sub .900 save %, but he wasn't exactly playing on the greatest of teams. He seems like the kind of guy who is reliable as a back up, but who struggles when called on to do too much.

That's my perception too. Then again, I dont know him that well.

Being a Slovak I've been following Peter's career a bit and I can say this: he's quite inconsistent, capable of letting in couple of softies in one game and then playing stellar making 40+ saves the next. He was great for Avalanche as a backup to Theodore but when given a chance as number one he failed (probably to great extent due to very poor defense but nevertheless) However, all his teammates say he's a great guy (and he really does look like one when you watch any of his interviews) so I think even though he probably won't play much he's still a great addition to the locker room.

I won't complain about this signing. Always saw some potential star qualities from him but he can play the odd stinker too. Welcome to the Habs PB.

My brother is an Avalanche fan, and I hate to be a power downer (like what I did there?), but I think Auld for 2 years at 1 M per year is a lot better. He is horribly inconsistent and seems to be rattled easily. While I know he is only a backup, he can't be a good one that can take a load off of Carey.

Oh, and when my brother heard about the deal, he said "Cool. Your problem now, sucker."

But hey, a cheap backup is a cheap backup. It could be worse.

I think we have to give Peter a chance

We have never given him more than a glance

He will have some D to help him there

Didn't have one before, so we must be fair

PG wouldn't have signed him,if he couldn't play

So lets reserve our judgment until the first day

That he goes out on the ice

As backup to our Jesus Price

GO PETER GO :D :D

Welcome Peter

Ive learned enough from Gauthier & his team to not get too worried about a signing like this.

Budaj seems like an odd choice (has been inconsistent at times in the past & looked to be trying to prove he was a starter, not a backup to a guy who plays 70 games a year) but the way i look at it is this:

if Gauthier and Pierre Groulx are so keen on Budaj to sign him - and on the first day of free agency, no less - im confident there must be something there to warrant it.

Best of luck in Montreal, Peter - I have a good feeling about this signing.

Ive learned enough from Gauthier & his team to not get too worried about a signing like this.

Budaj seems like an odd choice (has been inconsistent at times in the past & looked to be trying to prove he was a starter, not a backup to a guy who plays 70 games a year) but the way i look at it is this:

if Gauthier and Pierre Groulx are so keen on Budaj to sign him - and on the first day of free agency, no less - im confident there must be something there to warrant it.

Best of luck in Montreal, Peter - I have a good feeling about this signing.

PG was right about Price vs. Halak, after all.

I have watched Peter Budaj win games for Colorado and play outstanding.As he says he's been a fan of the Habs since he was a child,I would expect he will enjoy playing and excelling,fulfilling a childhood dream.Welcome Peter Budaj to Montreal and with your attitude (practicing in the Mile High city)you should thrive with that kind of enthusiasm and work ethic.The camaraderie of our team,should help the transition here to be smooth and the fans are extraordinary.

I dont know him that well.

Neither do I...sorry to see Alex leave....but anyways,welcome aboard Pete.

he says he's been a fan of the Habs since he was a child,

Me too.;)

Okay, okay. At first it was being reported that he signed for two years at over $3 million and I was a little freaked out. I see Capgeek has him at $1.15 per season. That seems reasonable for a backup, I s'pose. He is coming off a pretty terrible season in Colorado, though. Hopefully that had more to do with the terrible Avalanche team and less to do with his poor goaltending skills. Did anyone follow Colorado last season?

Okay, okay. At first it was being reported that he signed for two years at over $3 million and I was a little freaked out. I see Capgeek has him at $1.15 per season. That seems reasonable for a backup, I s'pose. He is coming off a pretty terrible season in Colorado, though. Hopefully that had more to do with the terrible Avalanche team and less to do with his poor goaltending skills. Did anyone follow Colorado last season?

I followed them a bit (had Liles & Shattenkirk in my pool). They started pretty well as a team then they collectively collapsed. They went from offensive powerhouse to struggling to score and had many injuries (when we sent OB to them, he was slotted on the 1st pairing immediately). I dont know exactly what started to go wrong with them but it was not a matter of goaltending specifically. The whole team crumbled and this was accelerated when they started to trade guys.

It had a lot to do with the terrible D in front of him. I saw a few games (or periods I guess). He got the first two shots but the third went in as the d couldn't clear the puck or anybody from in front of the net or slot.

My friends been following Colorado all his life. He never had nice things to say about Budaj, especially when he was their #1 option a few years ago.

I followed them a bit (had Liles & Shattenkirk in my pool). They started pretty well as a team then they collectively collapsed. They went from offensive powerhouse to struggling to score and had many injuries (when we sent OB to them, he was slotted on the 1st pairing immediately). I dont know exactly what started to go wrong with them but it was not a matter of goaltending specifically. The whole team crumbled and this was accelerated when they started to trade guys.

Happened with St. Louis too, especially when Halak went down, but now they have Shattenkirk

Archived