The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Erik Cole

ColRouleBleu

Moen, Darche, and DD can all fill in that ???? slot. Moen did it last year with good results. Darche if we want a little more scoring but still have physicality, and DD if we want to emphasize getting goals.

Agreed. I suspect we'll see Gauthier land another bottom 6 guy, and then hopefully 1 solid (true top 4) dman.

I was really pleased when i got word (at work) that we signed EC. Always loved his style of play. Great addition in my books. Well done PG. ;)

The more I think about this the more I like it. He's big and can hit and play as a power forward. But he is fast enough that he can score on transition like everyone else on our team can. He is a perfect fit-you can't ask for better. And hearing him talk on TSN today it seems like he really wants to play in a real hockey city for the latter part of his career. With all of that in mind, 4.5 M for 4 years doesn't sound as bad as it did at first.

Welcome to Mr Cole to our HABS team

I hear you can skate and be a bit mean

That is just what we need to make us better

As long as you are a real go getter

I understand you are very happy to be coming here

And we will love you,but I must make it clear

As long as you work hard every day

We will be very happy to see you play

I hope you love us and really do well

Co's if you don't we will give you hell

I am sorry to say that this is true

But I'm sure it won't happen, it's up to you

GO ERIK GO ;) ;)

Welcome to the HABS family

Its really great news when an established veteran of Erik Cole's status signs to play for our team.A player with the same passion that has been the lifeblood of the organization for as long as I've been a fan(50+years).I can't wait to see him playing in the red,white and blue this pre-season and for the next four years.Welcome Erik Cole and family I hope you enjoy your new team and city.

Dislike the term, don't mind the cap hit, love the signing. Sure, Cole is a bit of a risk due to his health, but we need to start taking calculated, sensible risks (if there is such a term) if we want to turn the corner and become a real playoff contender. We could have passed on Cole, played it safe, and endured another season of perimeter play, scoring struggles, and relying on Carey to bail us out night after night. Me? I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. If Cole can stay healthy and productive for even 70 games, he'll be a huge boost to our top six. A secondary benefit of the signing is the possibility of Kostitsyn moving down to the third line to play with Eller, with whom he clicked last season -- take the heat off Andrei and make us less reliant on his (massively streaky) goalscoring. Anything Andrei produces from the third line (roughly 40 points and 20 goals, hopefully) will be a nice bonus, not underachievement from a top-six winger.

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Kostitsyn-Eller-Moen

Suddenly, we've got some beef in our top nine. :)

I'm away on vacation and didn't hear about this until just now, but I've got to say that on first impression I'm again pretty impressed with Mr. Gauthier. Health is obviously a concern, but he did play a full season last year. I'll make the same argument for him that I made for signing Markov, which is that if we're going to win a cup we're going to need to get the best players available and hope for the best as far as injuries go.

As far as the term goes, the general consensus here seems to be that the fourth year on the contract is too much but I really don't mind it. Assuming that he doesn't turn into a complete dud, that extra year should help bring some stability to the team when some of our other big contracts (gomez, gionta) expire. Unlike a few years ago when we basically had to rebuild our whole team at once through free agency, this time we'll be shedding our veterans a few at a time in a more natural way.

All in all, I must say that I'm pretty thrilled. Welcome to the team, Erik!

I am of the opinion that this was slight over-payment by about $500K, but I guess that's what happens on July 1st. :lol: Cole was damn difficult to play against when he with Carolina. Let's hope he brings that same effort and determination to Montreal and inflicts punishment on the opposition. 25 goals, 25 assists, and I will be a happy camper!

I am of the opinion that this was slight over-payment by about $500K, but I guess that's what happens on July 1st. :lol:

That's what happens if you're Montreal, no matter which day of the year. Very convenient for me that your amount of overpayment is 500k because there's an explanation for exactly that amount already all written by Arpon Basu and readily available so I dont have to work very hard to reply to your post :lol:

When it comes to Cole, he mentioned that the Capitals, Bruins, Sabres, Flyers and obviously the Hurricanes had varying degrees of interest in his services Friday. Again, using this La Presse chart, Cole's annual average take home pay for the Canadiens will be roughly $2.3 million.

Had each of those five interested teams offered Cole $4 million annually, or $500,000 less than Montreal, his take home pay would have been: Philadelphia – $2,476,000; Boston – $2,388,000; Carolina – $2,288,000; Washington – $2,260,000; Buffalo – $2,240,000.

So two of those teams would have provided Cole with a better net income than the Canadiens with an offer that was $500,000 lower, and the other three would have come within $60,000 of matching it. If that doesn't illustrate the degree of disadvantage the Canadiens are working under, I'm not sure what will.

Source: CTV Montreal Daily Habit

i was so sad when jagr ended up in philly, but i wasn't last long, because cole might be even better fit!

5on5 performer (22 goals on even strength), big hitter (225 hits 10th in league), defensively responsible (65 takeways 15th in league), good skater, net presence... couldn't be happier!

stay healthy erik, and good luck!

When you consider we didn't have Patches for most of the year, it almost feels like we've added two big power-forward type players to our top 6 this off-season. One a young up-and-comer, the other a consistent veteran. Throw AK in the mix, who while still inconsistent improved in that respect last year, and I haven't felt this good about the mix in our top 6-9 forwards in quite a while. We finally have some skilled size to mix in with our smaller players.

If Cole scores 25 and 25 that would be great. But his true value might be helping Cammy score 30+ goals because he finally has a big north-south player to create space for him.

When you consider we didn't have Patches for most of the year, it almost feels like we've added two big power-forward type players to our top 6 this off-season. One a young up-and-comer, the other a consistent veteran. Throw AK in the mix, who while still inconsistent improved in that respect last year, and I haven't felt this good about the mix in our top 6-9 forwards in quite a while. We finally have some skilled size to mix in with our smaller players.

If Cole scores 25 and 25 that would be great. But his true value might be helping Cammy score 30+ goals because he finally has a big north-south player to create space for him.

Agreed, 100%. I am just excited to see what our top-six can do with a few big bodies in the lineup for an entire season. Let's hope everyone stays healthy (fingers crossed)!

i was so sad when jagr ended up in philly, but i wasn't last long, because cole might be even better fit!

5on5 performer (22 goals on even strength), big hitter (225 hits 10th in league), defensively responsible (65 takeways 15th in league), good skater, net presence... couldn't be happier!

stay healthy erik, and good luck!

Hello from Carolina (again). What you've missed is that he is a GREAT teammate, and sticks up for the young guys. He played with Skinner early last year, and mentored him through his introduction to the NHL. Cole is that kind of guy, and one you want in your locker room. He's also quirky funny with a very good sense of humour.

Hello from Carolina (again). What you've missed is that he is a GREAT teammate, and sticks up for the young guys. He played with Skinner early last year, and mentored him through his introduction to the NHL. Cole is that kind of guy, and one you want in your locker room. He's also quirky funny with a very good sense of humour.

Hey thanks for visiting, I am very excited to see him playing in a Habs jersey. It will be nice to see him score for us instead of so many times against us.

I wasn't particularly happy about this signing when it was announced, but after sleeping on it, I think I'm gonna love this deal...especially after watching some highlights from the past year. Welcome to the team, Erik.:)

Welcome aboard Erik. I wish you the best and i hope you will have the honor to rise a Stanley Cup at the Bell Center. For the coming season i don't mind your goal and point stats, just make your linemates better and stay healthy. Of course i wouldn't mind you pop 25 goals and even better 10 against the Leafs and 10 against the Bruins. The rest you can chose yourself...

Archived