The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#74 Alexei Emelin 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

#74 Alexei Emelin

8471296.jpg

QUOTE LIBRARY

"I think the one area where we wanted to get younger and quicker was on defence and we added two defencemen who bring those elements. They have some youth, but they also have experience at the pro level and a skill level, which is important going forward." - Jacques Martin - Windsor Star June 9 2011

even with signing cole this is still my biggest curiosity going into this season. ive been hearing this guys name forever, i cant believe hes actually on the team. might be a very nice surprise

His spot on the roster of the big team is far from confirmed but considering his contract (going back to KHL instead of going to Hamilton if he doesn't make the cut) I thought I'd put his thread in the players section.

His spot on the roster of the big team is far from confirmed but considering his contract (going back to KHL instead of going to Hamilton if he doesn't make the cut) I thought I'd put his thread in the players section.

I'm a firm believer of Yemelin's ability as a defenceman,given the opportunity without criticism to adjust to the NHL game.He has already proven himself at World Championships playing in the top four for Russia and given time he will do the same in the NHL.Do not expect him to be an offensive power but,a steady defenceman in the mold of Hamrlik, while remembering he's still a rookie in the NA game.

Alexei you are an enigma to us

That for you should be a plus

Nobody knows what to expect

So you will have to earn our respect

We didn't see what you did before

So no one here can expect more

Hope you can settle in nice and easy

But at first you are bound to be queasy

So we extend a welcome to our HABS nation

Here's hoping you fit into the equation

GO ALEXEI GO :lol: :lol:

I'm a firm believer of Yemelin's ability as a defenceman,given the opportunity without criticism to adjust to the NHL game.He has already proven himself at World Championships playing in the top four for Russia and given time he will do the same in the NHL.

I agree. i think he will adapt quicker than we think too, given his age & time in the Pro russian leagues. I dont think that scoring touch always translates between the leagues, but defensive prowess and sound positional play usually does.

Do not expect him to be an offensive power but,a steady defenceman in the mold of Hamrlik, while remembering he's still a rookie in the NA game.

I agree with the first part, but not the part about Hamrlik. Hammer actually was an offensive powerhouse for much of his career & even in montreal could be counted on to score 30-35pts. Yemelin will (most likely) be a very low scoring dman but could bring a substantial edge, physically, with a mean-streak we havent seen on our blue-line in some time.

Its still very much a question mark at this point, but I like the potential with Yemelin to be sure.

I'm really anxious to see the young man play and hope he can move up the depth chart quickly.

I'm really curious about this kid and anxious to see him in pre-season action as well. Like I said in other threads, he has yet to play a game at this level, we have to be realistic with our expectations.

We don't want to turn into leafs fans. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would think that as a stay at home defenseman, he would have an easier time adapting to the NHL. A smaller ice surface means he has less area to patrol. Players aren't any faster here, the game just transitions more quickly.

Are there any other d-men that came over from the KHL we could possibly compare him to?

I would be surprised if Yemelin does not make our top 6 out of training camp. He did play for Russia this past season at the World's. The real question will be limiting penalties and how much offense. I think that it is very likely that Yemelin will be paired with Markov. Both for language reasons and to bring balance. One offensive D and one defensive D. Could be a great pairing that gives Montreal a huge upgrade on defense?

I would be surprised if Yemelin does not make our top 6 out of training camp. He did play for Russia this past season at the World's. The real question will be limiting penalties and how much offense. I think that it is very likely that Yemelin will be paired with Markov. Both for language reasons and to bring balance. One offensive D and one defensive D. Could be a great pairing that gives Montreal a huge upgrade on defense?

Hopefully. It all depends on how long it takes for him to adapt to the NHL as well. We don't want to make Yemelin play 22 mins per night, while at the same time we don't want Markov playing 12 mins a night. Theres alot of variables here, but as the season progresses so will Yemelins ability to play in the NHL.

I think he should start the year with spacek on the the 3rd pairing and see where he goes I still think the only 2 guys we want playing over 20 a game is markov and subban

Bingo. I doubt anyone expects him to come over and play 20 mins a game, but we need to ease him in to that role so we don't hurt his development.

I can't wait to see this guy play,hope he fits in well

Go EMLIN GO :lol: :lol:

It will be good to finally find out how the 'draft a player and let him play in Russia for three or four years before bringing him to the NHL' strategy works. :lol: I honestly never thought he would come over. It's still kind of shocking that he has made the decision to come.

We need to be patient. Defense is the hardest position to mature into at the NHL level, particularly when you're supposed to be a defensive defenseman and you're facing all-world forwards for the first time without any profile on their tendencies. I expect Yemelin to struggle out the gate, but I'm also confident that he can adapt.

We need to be patient. Defense is the hardest position to mature into at the NHL level, particularly when you're supposed to be a defensive defenseman and you're facing all-world forwards for the first time without any profile on their tendencies. I expect Yemelin to struggle out the gate, but I'm also confident that he can adapt.

Bang on weep, I bring this up a lot, but it's true and I believe a lot of fans forget... Komi signed in TO for 4.5 mil/season. But his first few seasons in Montreal weren't great seasons for him.

I think Yemelin will be able to adapt, the only question is, how long will it take. He has yet to play an NHL game, he has to get use to the speed and the smaller ice surface. Being a big, physical dman, the smaller ice surface could play in his favour. I think his biggest hurdle will be getting use to the speed.

And fill Hamrlik's role?

Love him to fill Hammer's role, but it's unrealistic at this point. I've never really seen Yemelin play, not any more than anyone around here, but my gut feeling is he'll be more along the lines of a Komi.

This is just speculation, but I see him playing like PK, without the offensive side and a better defensive game. I think we're in for some good hits from this kid this season. In a perfect world, I'd like to see him play-at the very least-1/2 a season in Hamilton just to get use to the ice smaller ice surface. But with the holes left by Hammer and Wiz and questions surrounding Gorges and Markov's health, I pretty sure he'll crack the line up out of training camp.

Agreed, and its what concerns me about us not getting a 1 or 2 year 'insurance policy' like a Hamrlik or Hannan.

There is a definitely possibility that Yemelin could one day slot well into a #2 or 3 defensman type role. There is even a remote chance that that will happen this year. But to expect it to happen, now or in the immediate future....that is not prudent, imho. My hope is that Gauthier is either trying to make a trade happen to get us a proven top 4 dman, or still trying his best to sign an UFA guy like Hannan. Im still willing to give pierre the benefit of the doubt as he has shown he is capable of identifying our needs & addressing them.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see him play-at the very least-1/2 a season in Hamilton just to get use to the ice smaller ice surface.

I thought he had a clause that let him go back to the KHL if he didn't make the team? I would think it would be very hard to convince him not to exercise that option with the promise of being brought up partway through the year.

Agreed, and its what concerns me about us not getting a 1 or 2 year 'insurance policy' like a Hamrlik or Hannan.

There is a definitely possibility that Yemelin could one day slot well into a #2 or 3 defensman type role. There is even a remote chance that that will happen this year. But to expect it to happen, now or in the immediate future....that is not prudent, imho. My hope is that Gauthier is either trying to make a trade happen to get us a proven top 4 dman, or still trying his best to sign an UFA guy like Hannan. Im still willing to give pierre the benefit of the doubt as he has shown he is capable of identifying our needs & addressing them.

Good post. I will look it at it a little bit differently. IMO, PG does have an 'insurance policy' in his mind, Jaroslav Spacek. When Josh Signs, I feel PG thinks his top 5 is : Markov, Subban, Gorges, Gill and Spacek in that order. I am not a believer in Gorges and Gill both being in the top 4. They are solid NHL defenceman and great veterans to have no doubt but I think we're extending their roles outside of their capabilities. From the outside perspective, it appears as though PG is going to let Emelin, Weber and Diaz battle for the number 6 and 7 slots. Which is fine but I think we all agree Emelin is already on the team due to his contract. Which means Weber will likely be number 7/13th forward. Also, not a bad thing.

The issue I have is the steep drop-off from Markov and Subban compared to number 3,4 and 5 in the rotation. Emelin and Weber being at the bottom of the depth chart is very appropriate because they are both low risk high reward. Gill and Spacek are both high age high risk low speed low reward. We should only have 1 of them. This is not a knock against them but if one of the top 3 goes out, both of them cannot play 22 minutes per night.

IMO, Scott Hannan is the perfect signing but only if that leads to us getting rid of Spacek. I would rather roll the dice on either Emelin or Weber progressing instead of betting against Spacek further regressing.

This is a solid D corps:

Markov

Subban

Hannan

Gorges

Gil

Emelin

Weber

This kid has done well in Europe and in international play, seems very promising. But, we must be realistic with our expectations, just like PK last season, there will be growing pains.

2 things that will be an adjustment, the smaller ice surface and the speed. Being a good size and a physical dman, the smaller ice surface may play in his favour, the speed of the NHL will take some adjusting.

Archived