The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#76 Pernell Karl Subban 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

Mike Richards first post game interview after playiong against mtl:

Reporter: what do you think of PK Subbans amazing season so far?

Mike Richards: "PK thinks he can just come into this league as a sophomore and lead defenseman in points he has no respect for the game doesn't he know sophomores are supposed to play bad so old guys like my buddy Pronger have a chance to win trophys."

Mike Richards first post game interview after playiong against mtl:

Reporter: what do you think of PK Subbans amazing season so far?

Mike Richards: "PK thinks he can just come into this league as a sophomore and lead defenseman in points he has no respect for the game doesn't he know sophomores are supposed to play bad so old guys like my buddy Pronger have a chance to win trophys."

Yep sounds about right

I used to like Tim Thomas even though he played for the Gooins,but not any more not after he said that PK was a travesty to the game,how can he say that when Marchand says he punched one of the twins 3or4 times because he felt like it,there is nothing about the Gooins that is any good now.

But of course it doesn't help when the media keep asking after every game we play what the opposition thinks about PK,if they lose to us they are not going to have anything good to say about any of our team.

GO PK GO :lol: :lol:

I used to like Tim Thomas even though he played for the Gooins,but not any more not after he said that PK was a travesty to the game,how can he say that when Marchand says he punched one of the twins 3or4 times because he felt like it,there is nothing about the Gooins that is any good now.

But of course it doesn't help when the media keep asking after every game we play what the opposition thinks about PK,if they lose to us they are not going to have anything good to say about any of our team.

GO PK GO :lol: :lol:

Its just because its Boston

the PK respect issue is so transparently racist it just sickens me. id ANYONE call Marchand on lack of respect? I suppose it might also related to the fact that the Habs have become something of a league punching bag at this point. You can say/do anything to them and even the coach will say and do nothing

the PK respect issue is so transparently racist it just sickens me. id ANYONE call Marchand on lack of respect? I suppose it might also related to the fact that the Habs have become something of a league punching bag at this point. You can say/do anything to them and even the coach will say and do nothing

What makes me interested, is PK tends to leave things on the ice. Marchand goes to the media and whines like a baby.

The wife and I got our pictures taken with him and O'Byrne last season.

Really hope he has a good sophomore season... A lot of teams/players-imo-didn't take him seriously last season. I think they'll be prepared this year.

Go PK, prove em wrong again this season.

Still surprised that after being one of the leading scorers (among rookie dmen), that he wasn't even considered for the calder. <_<

Markov has been a shoe-in to represent the habs at the all-star weekends. Have this gut feeling that PK will be taking over.

With his recent injuries, Markov's no longer a guarantee to play in the all-star games. But we do have have two youngins who should represent our habs for years to come... Price and Subban-provided they continue to play as they did last season.

The wife and I got our pictures taken with him and O'Byrne last season.

Really hope he has a good sophomore season... A lot of teams/players-imo-didn't take him seriously last season. I think they'll be prepared this year.

Go PK, prove em wrong again this season.

Still surprised that after being one of the leading scorers (among rookie dmen), that he wasn't even considered for the calder. <_<

Markov has been a shoe-in to represent the habs at the all-star weekends. Have this gut feeling that PK will be taking over.

With his recent injuries, Markov's no longer a guarantee to play in the all-star games. But we do have have two youngins who should represent our habs for years to come... Price and Subban-provided they continue to play as they did last season.

With his style of play, PK is going to have a shot at All-Star games, I agree... maybe this year, maybe only in the future. Price will likely be in the mix most years too, and I wouldn't put it past the Habs to champion Tomas Plekanec's inclusion in the game sometime soon. For me, Pleks has been a guy whose work has never been fully recognized by the pundits around the league, but people are starting to take notice more and more every year.

As for PK, the Habs have given him three years to become the #1 guy here with the signing of Markov. I believe the organization expects PK to become that player before the 3 years on Markov's contract are up, and it will be nice to be able to count on two homegrown legit top pairing D men for a couple of seasons.

PK Subban was our best D last season. IMHO. And our team is one of the better defensive teams in the NHL. PK Subban had a rough start offensively to his season. However his final half of the season was extremely good. I am looking for PK Subban to be in the high 20's in goals and be our best D for this season. I don't see any slump for this season. Two really good playoffs. No indication that PK Subban will have a slump.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no way our PK will slump

You won't even notice a bump

He has too much talent and too much will

So much speed and so much skill

This young man will be on every ones lips

Unless his good humor slips

He will always be good whatever he tries

He is the kind that fate defies

He will play as hard as always

Lets just hope he always stays

GO PK GO :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PK Subban was our best D last season. IMHO. And our team is one of the better defensive teams in the NHL. PK Subban had a rough start offensively to his season. However his final half of the season was extremely good. I am looking for PK Subban to be in the high 20's in goals and be our best D for this season. I don't see any slump for this season. Two really good playoffs. No indication that PK Subban will have a slump.

Hmm... I don't know if I'd consider him to have been our best defenseman last year. That honour is Hamrlik's. Hammer was a rock for us, played admirably in every situation, played solid the entire year (faded a tad down the stretch because he and Subban were the only legit top 4 guys we had), and played far too many minutes for his age. Subban had a fantastic year, but the start of the season was a little rough, and there were some costly rookie mistakes he made in the year. I think he was our second best defenseman because of this, and will likely be our second best defenseman again, assuming Markov can return to form. I agree with you on the slump, I doubt PK will go into a sophomore slump. If anything, he'll play even better after a year of experience and mentoring in the NHL.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how well he will pair up with Markov. On paper it's an odd pairing, an offensively praised veteran russian and a young black two way star in the making. All of that aside however, you have two defenseman with wicked shots and amazing passing skills, a potentially lethal power-play combo and a unit that hopefully spends a lot of time in the other teams zone. I think spectators could consider Andrei more offensive at this point, although we cannot yet judge PK's full capabilities or even tell right now if he will digress in his progress this year. The thing everyone has always liked about Markov besides his big point totals has been his fluent defensive game however, and so I don't think Markov will hamper PK's defensive game which has to keep devolping positively if he wants to be a first pairing D guy his whole career.

I wonder how well he will pair up with Markov. On paper it's an odd pairing, an offensively praised veteran russian and a young black two way star in the making. All of that aside however, you have two defenseman with wicked shots and amazing passing skills, a potentially lethal power-play combo and a unit that hopefully spends a lot of time in the other teams zone. I think spectators could consider Andrei more offensive at this point, although we cannot yet judge PK's full capabilities or even tell right now if he will digress in his progress this year. The thing everyone has always liked about Markov besides his big point totals has been his fluent defensive game however, and so I don't think Markov will hamper PK's defensive game which has to keep devolping positively if he wants to be a first pairing D guy his whole career.

It's not so much about whether they could work as a pairing, but rather it's about what would pass for a #2 pairing if they were put together. I'm sure that a Markov and Subban pairing could play well together if we had offensive D-men up and down the roster, but at present we only have two: Markov and Subban :P.

By putting the two together we'd be putting all our hope on one line, which would be tough. Moreover, though, we'd also be limiting their individual effectiveness by putting them together. If Markov is making a great first pass out of the zone, Subban won't be (and vice versa). Why not split them up so that they can both be on a line where they know that they're the go-to offensive guy?

It's not so much about whether they could work as a pairing, but rather it's about what would pass for a #2 pairing if they were put together. I'm sure that a Markov and Subban pairing could play well together if we had offensive D-men up and down the roster, but at present we only have two: Markov and Subban :P.

By putting the two together we'd be putting all our hope on one line, which would be tough. Moreover, though, we'd also be limiting their individual effectiveness by putting them together. If Markov is making a great first pass out of the zone, Subban won't be (and vice versa). Why not split them up so that they can both be on a line where they know that they're the go-to offensive guy?

Id say their both two way. Weber is also an offensive D-man, Diaz sounds like one

Id say their both two way. Weber is also an offensive D-man, Diaz sounds like one

Well it doesn't really matter whether we label PK and Markie as "offensive" or "two-way", the fact remains that they're the only two defencemen on our roster who have shown that they are offensively capable, especially when exiting our zone. Weber hasn't really shown anything spectacular in any of his chances with the big club, and realistically Diaz may not even make the team. In any case, they're certainly not going to be relied upon to provide offense on either of the top two pariings.

Well it doesn't really matter whether we label PK and Markie as "offensive" or "two-way", the fact remains that they're the only two defencemen on our roster who have shown that they are offensively capable, especially when exiting our zone. Weber hasn't really shown anything spectacular in any of his chances with the big club, and realistically Diaz may not even make the team. In any case, they're certainly not going to be relied upon to provide offense on either of the top two pariings.

Weber hasn't proven anything yet but I think he showed some more promise towards the end of the year last season. This is his make or break year. Either he proves some worth offensively and on the PP or there's a decent chance he'll be written off like OB, Carle, etc. He doesn't have to have a great season, but there has to be some development there, since he's not a blue chip prospect the way Subban is considered to be. In all likelihood we'll see Weber rotate in and out of the line-up with Spacek, but if he and Emelin play well, Spacek will find himself in the press box more often.

The test for the young D this year is going to be whether they can run the PP effectively. PK did a nice job towards the end of the year, but the question is whether he can do it without Wisniewski. And can Weber be the shooter who partners Markov or Subban effectively? Can Emelin contribute on the PP too? None of the vets other than Markov has shown anything on the PP here, so those 3 young guys (+/- Diaz if he makes the team) are going to have to step up to make the PP tick. The good news is that we have some bigger bodies (Cole, Pacioretty, White) who weren't with us all of last year and who can help add a dimension to the PP in front of the net that wasn't present consistently last season. I'm excited to see what Subban and Weber can do with more traffic in their way.

You may not like this, but what about Spacek?

I don't know why I find myself championning this guy in every thread, just a gut feeling I guess. :P

Guest habs1952

Power play aside, I doubt you'll see PK and Markov on the same pairing. Doesn't make sense to put all your offensive D-men on one pairing.

Power play aside, I doubt you'll see PK and Markov on the same pairing. Doesn't make sense to put all your offensive D-men on one pairing.

If Yemelin advances and surprises this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him paired with Marky.

I agree, no point in putting all our eggs in one basket.

If Yemelin advances and surprises this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him paired with Marky.

I agree, no point in putting all our eggs in one basket.

Fair enough. I think you will see the two paired up at points throughout the season for sure though, if not right from the get go. A-lot of people prefer an offensive defenseman always to be paired with a defensive one, but in our case I think it makes the most sense to use Andrei and PK as the first unit and Gill and Gorges as the second. Would Markov and Gill fair well together, and be an intimidating top tandem? Seems un-likely, does it not. Gorges and Marky isn't much better. Really if we want a dominant premier pairing it has to be PK and Andrei, in which case the team takes a gamble on Gill and Gorges regaining that defensive equality from the 2010 playoffs.

Totally agree that Yemelin may get the chance to play with Marky. There is a pairing that makes sense. The organization seems optimistic about Alexei so we'll see. It's hard to really estimate who's going to be playing where on D, unlike our forward lines which are more or less set. Woywitka is a question mark, Spacek is a question mark, Weber is a question mark and so is Yemelin.

Fair enough. I think you will see the two paired up at points throughout the season for sure though, if not right from the get go. A-lot of people prefer an offensive defenseman always to be paired with a defensive one, but in our case I think it makes the most sense to use Andrei and PK as the first unit and Gill and Gorges as the second. I don't think Markov and Gill would fair well together and Gorges and Marky doesn't sound much better on the first unit. Really if we want a dominant premier pairing it has to be PK and Andrei, in which place the team takes a gamble on Gill and Gorges regaining that defensive equality from the 2010 playoffs.

Totally agree that Yemelin may get the chance to play with Marky. There is a pairing that makes sense. The organization seems optimistic about Alexei so we'll see.

You also want experience on your top pairing. If we ever need an offensive boost, then yes, I can see JM putting Marky and PK together. Logically we want to spread out our talent.

Given his size and experience in Europe, for some reason I have a feeling we'll see Yemelin paired with Marky(eventually). Kinda like the Komi/Marky pairing... Plus being from Russia, I can see JM putting Marky with Yemelin to help him with the transition (smaller ice surface, faster game, etc...).

Archived