The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

#53 Ryan White 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

Yah, except BGL and his code are gone from this league. White did it the right way. There is so much video evidence of guys doing this, its ridiculous.

As for Campoli, who knows what he was thinking. Again, White did what had to be done.

There likely isn't a lot of video evidence of teams holding down a guys arms while another guy throws punches in his face because it's completely cowardly.

Yah, except BGL and his code are gone from this league. White did it the right way. There is so much video evidence of guys doing this, its ridiculous.

As for Campoli, who knows what he was thinking. Again, White did what had to be done.

I like White. He's a good kid who plays hard and adds energy that we don't get from many other guys. This one play, I didn't care for because of the reason we've gone over. You're right that other teams have gotten away with cheap shots more often than us, but this is an issue with the league and the inconsistency with which it handles such gestures. It doesn't make things any better for us to undertake the same behavior.

I like White. He's a good kid who plays hard and adds energy that we don't get from many other guys. This one play, I didn't care for because of the reason we've gone over. You're right that other teams have gotten away with cheap shots more often than us, but this is an issue with the league and the inconsistency with which it handles such gestures. It doesn't make things any better for us to undertake the same behavior.

If the league is going to keep allowing it, then I'm all for White or some other player to do the same. Word will get around the league that MTL is not a push over anymore. I see this as a good thing.

He's dead weight on the Plekanec line. When used as a proper fourth-line energy guy, he can be effective, but playing with top-six forwards is pointless. He can't create offensively, can't get open or find his linemates with good passes, and can't cycle the puck properly. In the defensive zone, he just chases the play, creating gaps in our zone coverage and forcing his linemates to pick up his slack. I cannot fathom why RC keeps him on the Plekanec line when there are any number of players (Eller, Leblanc, Palushaj, Geoffrion, heck, just about any top-nine forward from Hamilton) who could provide some value.

He's dead weight on the Plekanec line. When used as a proper fourth-line energy guy, he can be effective, but playing with top-six forwards is pointless. He can't create offensively, can't get open or find his linemates with good passes, and can't cycle the puck properly. In the defensive zone, he just chases the play, creating gaps in our zone coverage and forcing his linemates to pick up his slack. I cannot fathom why RC keeps him on the Plekanec line when there are any number of players (Eller, Leblanc, Palushaj, Geoffrion, heck, just about any top-nine forward from Hamilton) who could provide some value.

And to make matters worse, Bourque like Kostitsyn before him is asked to play the left-side (listed as right-winger) which is not where he has likely been most effective in the past. Notice that Cole also struggled on the left side early on but now plays the right wing. Al the players listed are left-hand shots, but that doesn't mean it is the best position for them.

I think White is in some ways over-valued by some.

Perhaps RC's is thinking toward the future when/if Gionta returns as the right-wing for the second line. But I agree, there are better options than White even now.

And to make matters worse, Bourque like Kostitsyn before him is asked to play the left-side (listed as right-winger) which is not where he has likely been most effective in the past. Notice that Cole also struggled on the left side early on but now plays the right wing. Al the players listed are left-hand shots, but that doesn't mean it is the best position for them.

I think White is in some ways over-valued by some.

Perhaps RC's is thinking toward the future when/if Gionta returns as the right-wing for the second line. But I agree, there are better options than White even now.

Agreed. White needs to be moved back to the 4th line. He is not playing with the usual spark he has, and certainly offers nothing to Plekanec in terms of scoring or playmaking.

Agreed. White needs to be moved back to the 4th line. He is not playing with the usual spark he has, and certainly offers nothing to Plekanec in terms of scoring or playmaking.

Yep. I think that the lack of spark is probably closely related to the job he's being given and to the amount of minutes that he's being asked to play. When you've been sitting on the bench for the last five minutes you can step out on the ice with lots of energy and the desire to run around hitting people. When you're tired, not so much.

His ice time is bordering on ridiculous. RC is delusional if he thinks White is a better linemate for Bourque-Plekanec than Eller. I'd rather have Geoffrion, Leblanc, Palushaj, even Darche.

He was not on Pleki's line tonight. Played with him on the PK only, which I'm OK with while Moen/Darche are unavailable.

What a waste of time fighting is,just breaks up the game it really spoils it for me,if players want to fight,they should start boxing,when you see White going to the box,grinning like an idiot, I wander what I am doing watching this game we didn't fight so much before,Whites place is on the 4th line giving it some energy,not in the box you win nothing in the box.

GO HABS GO <_< <_<

What a waste of time fighting is,just breaks up the game it really spoils it for me,if players want to fight,they should start boxing,when you see White going to the box,grinning like an idiot, I wander what I am doing watching this game we didn't fight so much before,Whites place is on the 4th line giving it some energy,not in the box you win nothing in the box.

GO HABS GO <_< <_<

This.

GO HABS GO <_< <_<

I don't mind the scrapping. I also don't the smiling. It brings a little bit of personality to the game. He's certainly not a malicious player and I think the smiling is just a bit of gamesmanship amongst combatants. I'm more interested to see if other aspects of White's game come along. That will be more important for his future with the club than whether or not he drops the gloves.

I dunno, I just couldn't care less about fighting anymore. If the NHL were to ban fighting tomorrow I wouldn't bat an eye. It's kinda fun to watch a good fight every now and then but it's just silly now, it's just a bunch of staged fights, and it makes me rather uneasy that goons in the NHL make at least $525k a year. I see value in White as an energy guy, and right now he's been good on the PK with Darche and Moen out. If he can keep developing defensively I'll be happy. I don't care if he ever fights again.

Just wish they would it does nothing for the game,and just hurts people

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

Is this like the anti-fighting forum?

I'd swear most if not all of you would rather have a team full of smurfs who skate like the wind, but will never be able to lead the team to the glory land, the Stanley Cup.

How many people sit on their hands when a fight happens? Take a look at the teams bench when a fight happens. Ask a player what they think of a guy who fights and sticks up for his mates.

Edited for use of symbols

Is this like the anti-fighting forum?

I'd swear most if not all of you would rather have a team full of smurfs who skate like the wind, but will never be able to lead the team to the glory land, the Stanley Cup.

How many people sit on their hands when a fight happens? Take a look at the teams bench when a fight happens. Ask a player what they think of a guy who fights and sticks up for his mates.

No it's the we are all entitled to our opinion forum.

A player that doesn't drop the gloves does not equal a smurf. Far from it. Also, you don't need to fight to win the stanley cup. That may have been part of the recipe years ago but that itsn't now. You need to be tough, yes. You need to be strong, yes, and you need to be mean but that doesn't equate to fightting. There are numerous ways in which a team can carry out toughness and none of them include fighting.

Personally, I actually don't mind a fight here and there. Do I like the fact that they may be less common? Yes, I do. But it's not something I feel should be 'ruled' out.

Sure it gets people on their feet but it has become such a minor component in the grand scheme of a team and in relation to their sucess.

Sorry this is veering off topic. To bring it back, I'm along the same lines as what Noob posted. Seeing the value he has in a certain role - even if the role does not include fighting. And if he can develop there, then that's good thing.

Ryan offers more to the team then just fighting. He can play the PK and is a capable 4th line energy guy that can even play the 3rd line on occasion. These type of players are good commodities to have on your bottom six. Having the same type of player with more offensive skills would be nice to have in the top six,,, but obviously are a little harder to acquire.

I, personally, like having a guy who fights on the team. I've also made it clear that I would like Montreal to inquire into Aaron Asham's services this summer if he becomes a free agent. I like having the added dimension on the team. I understand some people do not like it. I respect that. I see no problem when two willing participants engage in a fight. Ryan's attack on the Minnesota players earlier this month was uncalled for, and I hope we will not see that again.

I, personally, like having a guy who fights on the team. I've also made it clear that I would like Montreal to inquire into Aaron Asham's services this summer if he becomes a free agent. I like having the added dimension on the team. I understand some people do not like it. I respect that. I see no problem when two willing participants engage in a fight. Ryan's attack on the Minnesota players earlier this month was uncalled for, and I hope we will not see that again.

Agreed all around. I enjoy a good scrap. I think it's a mistake to allocate a roster spot to someone who can't do much else asside from fight, but fighting as an added element to other hockey skills a competent fourth liner can bring to the table is a plus in my books.

Agreed all around. I enjoy a good scrap. I think it's a mistake to allocate a roster spot to someone who can't do much else asside from fight, but fighting as an added element to other hockey skills a competent fourth liner can bring to the table is a plus in my books.

Agree 100%. I wasn't a big fan of, say... Georges Laraque when we had him. His overall performance level was way down from what I expected and he seemed injured more often than not. However, I think Ryan has the potential to become a regular fourth line player at the NHL level. He's already been killing penalties with Montreal and I see no reason why that wouldn't continue next season. He's certainly not a lumbering, dangerous, goon type player, and I enjoy watching him drop the gloves every few games for a spirited affair.

I thought last night was a good show of how Ryan White can be effective. 1:44 penalty killing, and took the young Gudbranson off of the ice for five minutes.

That brings up a good point that hasn't been mentioned in this whole value of fighting debate - the tradeoff. It's no big deal if two enforcers go at it, but White gets in a fight with a Gudbranson (or better yet a Chara) the other team will miss their player for five minutes a lot more than we will.

That brings up a good point that hasn't been mentioned in this whole value of fighting debate - the tradeoff. It's no big deal if two enforcers go at it, but White gets in a fight with a Gudbranson (or better yet a Chara) the other team will miss their player for five minutes a lot more than we will.

Those are the tangible things an effective 4th line player can do. Getting better players off their game, forcing them to take a dumb penalty, or best case scenario, having them sit for 5 minutes. The "momentum" or "motivation" created by a good fight is hard to measure, but a trade off with a better player is a pretty clear cut benefit.

Archived