The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#53 Ryan White 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

Right. Even 10 goals for this type of player is a high-water mark. A great season for a gritty 4th liner is more fights > Points and 2-4 hits per game.

With this stat line:

80gp 8g 12a 20pts 120PIM 250Hits 15+ fights

He would secure a long term contract with the Habs. IMO, Ryan White should try to emulate Steve Ott, they are of similar build and I think if Ryan works hard he could develop a similar skillset.

I don't know, Ott's a prety high standard for White to attain. They may be similar in build, but Ott is first round pick (albeit late) who came in with a decently higher skill set and has already shown he can be a 20 goal scorer in this league.

Why do people constantly say what players are capable of,we don't know,Ryan said he felt himself get better as his confidence grew,well he should be even more confident this season getting a one way contract,so he should get even better,fighting is not the only thing he does well,come on people give the guy a chance.I really dislike that people are so sure of what others can do,nobody knows not even Ryan.

GO RYAN GO :lol: :lol:

Why do people constantly say what players are capable of,we don't know,Ryan said he felt himself get better as his confidence grew,well he should be even more confident this season getting a one way contract,so he should get even better,fighting is not the only thing he does well,come on people give the guy a chance.I really dislike that people are so sure of what others can do,nobody knows not even Ryan.

GO RYAN GO :lol: :lol:

ITs just an assumption maddie, it is true for all we know ryan can completely turn his game around and explode on offense... :P :P

I don't know, Ott's a prety high standard for White to attain. They may be similar in build, but Ott is first round pick (albeit late) who came in with a decently higher skill set and has already shown he can be a 20 goal scorer in this league.

True Ott is a well-established player but I don't think there is anything wrong with setting the bar high for a young player. I also think showing players videotape of guys that play the time of role the team envisions for them is a great way to help players develop. That's just my two cents, you are welcome to throw it back.

True Ott is a well-established player but I don't think there is anything wrong with setting the bar high for a young player. I also think showing players videotape of guys that play the time of role the team envisions for them is a great way to help players develop. That's just my two cents, you are welcome to throw it back.

Theres nothing wrong with setting the bar high, but I think we should gradually set it higher, not start with 20 goals in his first full (likely) NHL season. If we did that with all our young players (like we have) they'd be ruined. Look at what we did with Price, everyone got all excited over the possibility of having another great goal tender, and when he faltered it became so intense we almost traded him over a goalie who had bursts of hot streaks.

My thoughts is that he will score 8-10 goals this year, and continue to build on those totals next year.

Theres nothing wrong with setting the bar high, but I think we should gradually set it higher, not start with 20 goals in his first full (likely) NHL season. If we did that with all our young players (like we have) they'd be ruined. Look at what we did with Price, everyone got all excited over the possibility of having another great goal tender, and when he faltered it became so intense we almost traded him over a goalie who had bursts of hot streaks.

My thoughts is that he will score 8-10 goals this year, and continue to build on those totals next year.

To be fair, MIASUN did set the bar at 8 goals if you read his earlier post which is a fairly reasonable goal to set. Still, as long as Ryan is playing sound defensively and hitting like a freight train with a fight here and there I'll be happy with the job he's doing.

To be fair, MIASUN did set the bar at 8 goals if you read his earlier post which is a fairly reasonable goal to set. Still, as long as Ryan is playing sound defensively and hitting like a freight train with a fight here and there I'll be happy with the job he's doing.

Thank you BCH, I think very realistic expectations for his type of play and role on the team is more fights > goals and 3 hits a game. With that, he'd be playing his role at an extremely high level. Eventually, he should set the bar at one of the best in his mold and IMO Steve Ott is an attainable bar in the coming years. I didn't say I expect him to be Steve Ott right away but it's certainly a target the team should set for him to ensure a long and prosperous NHL career.

Thank you BCH, I think very realistic expectations for his type of play and role on the team is more fights > goals and 3 hits a game. With that, he'd be playing his role at an extremely high level. Eventually, he should set the bar at one of the best in his mold and IMO Steve Ott is an attainable bar in the coming years. I didn't say I expect him to be Steve Ott right away but it's certainly a target the team should set for him to ensure a long and prosperous NHL career.

Fair enough. I thought you meant he should be netting 20 goals this season, silly me :lol:

I think White's production is going to mirror the usage he gets from JM. If he's playing purely a 4th line role with 6-10 minutes a game, he's not going to score much. But if you look at a guy who plays a gritty game like Mathieu Darche, the guy capitalized on his opportunities last year to play a few shifts here and there with better players and he banged the puck in from the front of the net. A guy like White's not afraid to go to the net either and there will be pucks for him to put home so long as he's playing with guys who can get the puck at the net. I don't think we'll see more than 5-10 goals for him this year, but I think that range is reasonable to shoot for. I also wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Darche or White thrown out on the PP every so often; maybe not as a regular first-wave thing, but if the PP seems like it's struggling in a given game, a nice change of pace is always to get a guy with hustle out on the ice, tell him to annoy the goalie and let the other guys shoot away from anywhere they can get a good look. Would be a nice change of pace from always being a perimeter-passing-based PP.

I think White's production is going to mirror the usage he gets from JM. If he's playing purely a 4th line role with 6-10 minutes a game, he's not going to score much. But if you look at a guy who plays a gritty game like Mathieu Darche, the guy capitalized on his opportunities last year to play a few shifts here and there with better players and he banged the puck in from the front of the net. A guy like White's not afraid to go to the net either and there will be pucks for him to put home so long as he's playing with guys who can get the puck at the net. I don't think we'll see more than 5-10 goals for him this year, but I think that range is reasonable to shoot for. I also wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Darche or White thrown out on the PP every so often; maybe not as a regular first-wave thing, but if the PP seems like it's struggling in a given game, a nice change of pace is always to get a guy with hustle out on the ice, tell him to annoy the goalie and let the other guys shoot away from anywhere they can get a good look. Would be a nice change of pace from always being a perimeter-passing-based PP.

That is a very good idea,it gets you sometimes when you want them to shoot and all they do is pass,but of course I have a very different perspective to what the players have on the ice,I can only see it on Tv, but JM really does need to try some different things this year

and I wouldn't mind seeing White on the PP at all in front of the net or even Darche for that matter.When you listen to the commentators they seem to know every move we make on the PP so must the other teams.

GO WHITE GO :lol: :lol:

That is a very good idea,it gets you sometimes when you want them to shoot and all they do is pass,but of course I have a very different perspective to what the players have on the ice,I can only see it on Tv, but JM really does need to try some different things this year

and I wouldn't mind seeing White on the PP at all in front of the net or even Darche for that matter.When you listen to the commentators they seem to know every move we make on the PP so must the other teams.

GO WHITE GO :lol: :lol:

Having white on the PP for a few games could give us a reward, if he excels he would be excellent at getting infront of the net and clearing space seeing as we shoot from the perimeter/point so often.

Who else thinks that Ryan White will replace Moen role in 2012-13?

I wonder how much PG will need to pay White when his one year contract expires! My guess $1.1 to $1.25 million cap hit.

I can see that happening, but I'd like another experienced tough guy on the team to replace Moen and play on the 4th line with White. Now if he scores 20 goals, he might be asking for a little more dollars.

Who else thinks that Ryan White will replace Moen role in 2012-13?

I wonder how much PG will need to pay White when his one year contract expires! My guess $1.1 to $1.25 million cap hit.

I could see White replacing Moen after this season. I could also see him replacing Pyatt after this season (i.e. not in our plans). It really depends on how he plays this year, but moreso on what kind of contract he asks for.

Its possible. He's a good, solid character guy. Moen, for his shortcomings, does have a strong defensive game though. Its yet to be determined if White's is as strong (positionally at least) but its possible. He is 2" and about 25lbs smaller than Moen too - not that you'd know it based on his tenacity and desire to stick up for his teammates.

Its possible. He's a good, solid character guy. Moen, for his shortcomings, does have a strong defensive game though. Its yet to be determined if White's is as strong (positionally at least) but its possible. He is 2" and about 25lbs smaller than Moen too - not that you'd know it based on his tenacity and desire to stick up for his teammates.

This is what I like about him so much,his tenacity,this is a trait not many people give a lot of credit for but if it used in the right way,there will be no stopping some one like that.

GO WHITEY GO :lol: :lol:

This is what I like about him so much,his tenacity,this is a trait not many people give a lot of credit for but if it used in the right way,there will be no stopping some one like that.

GO WHITEY GO :lol: :lol:

Agreed and as Carey Price says "that kid has balls of steel" a one way contract that was definitely earned the hard way.Go Ryan Go!

• 2 weeks later...

Having white on the PP for a few games could give us a reward, if he excels he would be excellent at getting infront of the net and clearing space seeing as we shoot from the perimeter/point so often.

I hope that's a joke... Pacioretty, Cole, Darche, Moen, and AK are all players who would be better at getting in front than White.

I hope that's a joke... Pacioretty, Cole, Darche, Moen, and AK are all players who would be better at getting in front than White.

In theory, they should be. But I actually don't hate the idea of White on the PP every now and then and have brought it up a few times before. If you look at the other players on the PP...

- Pacioretty went to the net as the year went on, but we'll have to assess his willingness to get into the trenches after his injuries

- Cole is new here and it will remain to be seen how he fits in before we say how good a job he does in front

- Darche does a great job getting to the net but he's not a scorer either, so if you're ok with Darche being there (which I am too), then I don't see how you can be against White

- Moen goes to the net sometimes but even when he's got an open net from 5 feet away, he can't score, so it's useless having him there

- AK doesn't go to the net consistently and his best attribute is actually his shot, so it doesn't help us to stick him there if he won't battle more

- White isn't a scoring machine by any means but if you remember the pre-season last year, he had PP time and did a great job screening the goalie and deflecting pucks. So he does actually have some skill in that role and the guy had decent offensive numbers in junior. I don't see him as a pure goon by any means and I think if he had a chance like Metropolit got two years ago or Darche got last year, we could see White be a real contributor to the PP. He's fearless and he's willing to do whatever's asked of him. Personally I'd give Pacman and Cole first crack at doing this job, but if the PP's tanking for a game or two, throwing Darche or White in front is not a horrible idea.

- Darche does a great job getting to the net but he's not a scorer either, so if you're ok with Darche being there (which I am too), then I don't see how you can be against White

- Moen goes to the net sometimes but even when he's got an open net from 5 feet away, he can't score, so it's useless having him there

Moen has hands of stone, for sure, but I still think he has better hockey sense in the offensive zone. And Darche has far more offensive talent than White. I think the only way I'd like to see White on the PP is if we were winning 6-0 with 5 minutes left, or if we are absolutely decimated with injuries.

Moen has hands of stone, for sure, but I still think he has better hockey sense in the offensive zone. And Darche has far more offensive talent than White. I think the only way I'd like to see White on the PP is if we were winning 6-0 with 5 minutes left, or if we are absolutely decimated with injuries.

agree, the reason we all groan at moen's hands is because he's always in position it seems blah

agree, the reason we all groan at moen's hands is because he's always in position it seems blah

Moen's positioning is not bad, I'll give you both that. But it's pretty useless to us if he can't finish more than he has. And at his age, he's not likely to learn new skills. Moen's best goal output was 11 with Anaheim a number of yeas ago and he needed a full 82 games to achieve that. Even in junior, he never scored more than 10 goals in a season. White, on the other hand, did score 20-35 goals a year fairly consistently as a junior, so he has some scoring touch and he potted a couple of decent goals in last year's pre-season. As I've said, he's proven nothing at the NHL level yet but I personally believe he has the ability to surprise people offensively if he finally gets the chance. I used the comparisons of Metropolit and Darche because you have two guys there who managed to come up with offensive production well above their career averages when they were over the age of 30 because they were given a chance to play the PP and get some ice time with decent linemates (as opposed to Moen, whose had the same chances and done nothing with them offensively). I too really like Darche as a player, but what I'm saying is that I believe Ryan White can put up 12-15 goals if he gets to play bigger minutes, gets some stretches on the top 2 lines, and is used as the man in front of the net on the PP. This season, we actually have a lot of players with offensive talent sitting ahead of him in the pecking order, but regardless, I feel like White is a capable player who could very easily show the kind of offensive output a guy like Chris Neil or Sean Avery puts up in the role of an agitator.

Archived