The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#53 Ryan White 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

I just prefer summarized words instead of walls of texts that sums to nothing much, but that's just me. Theorizing about what hard work means and whatnot is pretty useless. We know which players gives the extra mile (not all do), White does.

As for puck retrieval and whatnot, as long as the 4th line does not cost you goals, they're fine. If they can give you good hits and some energy, that's why they're there. Doesn't matter much if they circle the puck for 50 seconds along the boards for nothing.

As for PK, he was really good and effective when paired with Tom Pyatt, for instance. People who watched him will remember.

As for the overrated, he's not. Why? Because he belongs in the NHL on a 4th line, hence he is not overrated, simple. We're not saying he's the savior, we're just saying he does a good job of fitting in that role, a type of player that we need on a 4th line here in Montreal.

If you don't like walls of text and don't want to take the time to properly read them, why reply? Everything posted on this forum is useless, that's the point of a message board. I replied to someone saying he should play basically BECAUSE he works hard it was relevant to an argument that you weren't involved in, that you chose to involve yourself in that's apparently too useless for you. Knowing which players work hard is irrelevant anyway.

I did watch him, and he was seldom paired with Tom Pyatt on the PK in 09-10. The fact is, neither actually played enough PK time in 09-10 to actually gauge their PK ability at all at this level. That was my point. White played like 20 minutes of PK time all season. Last year he played under 10 seconds a game. His actual PK value, at this point, is very much in question.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the ETA on this guy? Would be an upgrade over Darche right now.

None given yet. Still skating on his own with no contact. But keep in mind, he hasn't played since last spring, so he'll need some time to get into shape. And right now, most guys would be an upgrade on Darche... as I've said, I'd rather see Conboy, Blunden, or Dumont in right now.

None given yet. Still skating on his own with no contact. But keep in mind, he hasn't played since last spring, so he'll need some time to get into shape. And right now, most guys would be an upgrade on Darche... as I've said, I'd rather see Conboy, Blunden, or Dumont in right now.

I would think White will be returned to Hamilton for conditioning first, as well.

Has anyone heard when Ryan White is expected back?

I thought he would have been back weeks ago. Obviously the injury must take longer to recover then I assumed.

I think White will help the 4th line which should help Pleks who is our best forward IMHO. But however I think Pleks is getting tired. PP ice time, PK ice time, and 5 on 5. Kaberle should replace Pleks on the point essentially which will help Pleks and White should help on the PK that will help Pleks.

Has anyone heard when Ryan White is expected back?

I thought he would have been back weeks ago. Obviously the injury must take longer to recover then I assumed.

I think White will help the 4th line which should help Pleks who is our best forward IMHO. But however I think Pleks is getting tired. PP ice time, PK ice time, and 5 on 5. Kaberle should replace Pleks on the point essentially which will help Pleks and White should help on the PK that will help Pleks.

I thought it wasnt until early january.

Of all the players out right now (with the exception of Markov), I actually feel like White might be the guy whose return could give us the biggest boost. He's not a savior by any means, but I think his energy could really motivate the troops a little right now.

I have an INCREDIBLY hard time imaging he will provide more, or even close to, what Gionta brings.

I have an INCREDIBLY hard time imaging he will provide more, or even close to, what Gionta brings.

Head to head, there's no question Gionta's the better player. But he hasn't been overly fantastic this season, much like a lot of our other small forward group. At this point, I think this group could use an injection of energy and heart more than it can use another 25-goal scorer. I think seeing a guy running up and down the ice throwing hits and getting after the other team could be more of a pick-up right now. We have no shortage of marginal goal scorers and in the short term, I see White as bringing something we don't have and helping that way.

Head to head, there's no question Gionta's the better player. But he hasn't been overly fantastic this season, much like a lot of our other small forward group. At this point, I think this group could use an injection of energy and heart more than it can use another 25-goal scorer. I think seeing a guy running up and down the ice throwing hits and getting after the other team could be more of a pick-up right now. We have no shortage of marginal goal scorers and in the short term, I see White as bringing something we don't have and helping that way.

Gionta is also the captain, works his tail off, plays well defensively and huge minutes.

If this team is waiting for guy with 43 career NHL games and 7 pts over 2 yrs to make a difference then they've got more problems than I thought :P

Gionta is also the captain, works his tail off, plays well defensively and huge minutes.

I'm by no means saying I wouldn't like to have Gionta or Gomez back too. I would. But right now, I think this team is missing some spark and an energy guy helps to bring the team together. Moen, Blunden, Darche... they all hit to some extent but none of them really get the fans up and the team going. I'm aware White's abilities are more limited than other players on the team, but to me, it's a question of what's missing in the line-up right now. It's not another smallish 25-goal scorer. And while Gio is the captain and decent defensively, he hasn't done anything this year to distinguish himself from the other slumping scorers. In the long term, yes, we need him more than White. But right now, I see us needing a kick in the pants more than anything (outside of an improvement to our D, which is why Markov's return is to me, more valuable than anyone else's).

• 2 weeks later...

i dont know how great he is in the dot but would any of you put him in instead of noks?

If it came down to it, yes. I like White better on the wing, so I'd sit someone else first, but as I said earlier, I really feel that this team is missing an energy guy like White. He would have helped to get the rest of the guys going, and I place more value in White than Noke, who to me has been a bit of a bust. With Gomez back, Noke's only purpose is that he is a right-handed center. Otherwise, he is replaceable.

If it came down to it, yes. I like White better on the wing, so I'd sit someone else first, but as I said earlier, I really feel that this team is missing an energy guy like White. He would have helped to get the rest of the guys going, and I place more value in White than Noke, who to me has been a bit of a bust. With Gomez back, Noke's only purpose is that he is a right-handed center. Otherwise, he is replaceable.

at the very least it will proved some competetion for white or nokes to know they arent a for sure. ATM theres nobody really who can challenge nokes for that slot IMO anyways.

This might not be a popular response but if and when he Gomez and Gio are ready to come back I'd like to see the following:

Pleks - Cammi - Cole

Desharnai - Pacs - AK46

Gomez - Gio - Eller

Noks - White - Moen

(Darche)

Subs - Gorges

Gill - Emilin

Camps - Kabs

(Diaz)

If Markie ever comes back Camps probably gets shipped out. Too bad cuz I really like this guy.

• 2 weeks later...

John Lu

#Habs White (sports hernia surgery) is getting closer to a return after All Star break. No news on Markov who has not resumed skating.

I think White will bring a lot to the 4th line. I think that Darche, Gomez, and Nok are the players that have to worry that they will be in the press box. I would like Moen and White to both be on the 4th line as they would be a handful to play against plus they are good defensively. Not sure if Gomez or Nok is the best choice for the 4th line center.

Archived