The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

#53 Ryan White 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

• 2 weeks later...

why are "they" saying White is on trading block ???

big mistake ! one of the few players that play with heart and grit !

Ask our GM

“I think the fact that we’re sticking up for someone who whacks our goaltender a couple of times, that’s appropriate,” said Cunneyworth. “That’s a team that comes at you pretty hard and they kept coming and that’s a positive lesson for us to see how hard you have to work.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Habs+wild+affair+shootout/6237752/story.html#ixzz1nxjtxNps

Good lord. The coach actually endorsed him blindsiding a player in a melee and throwing punches, in response to a completely borderline 'slash' on Price.

“I think the fact that we’re sticking up for someone who whacks our goaltender a couple of times, that’s appropriate,” said Cunneyworth. “That’s a team that comes at you pretty hard and they kept coming and that’s a positive lesson for us to see how hard you have to work.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/Habs+wild+affair+shootout/6237752/story.html#ixzz1nxjtxNps

Good lord. The coach actually endorsed him blindsiding a player in a melee and throwing punches, in response to a completely borderline 'slash' on Price.

What are you talking about, Weeps? That's just good ol' fashioned hard work. Obviously.

I by no means condone what White did last night. I thought it was a cheap shot to hit a guy who couldn't defend himself because he was being held and I thought White should have been kicked out of the game. That said, I also think the refs were soft on calls against Minny too.

But as wrong as it was of White, the fact is that the Habs have a team have been soft for years when it comes to things like this. We have some guys who can hit, but we haven't had anyone willing to drop the gloves regularly and make the other team think twice (and no, neither Moen nor BGL has been successful at that). So while I disapprove of the way White did things, I can understand why the coach would be willing to take a penalty in that case to show that we're not going to lay down and take hits and jabs after the whistle. We've seen many times this season that our guys have been sucker-punched or slashed after the play and there has been very little in retribution. So while White should not have hit a defenseless player, it's just as bad to see guys stand around and do nothing when our goalie or another teammate takes shots. Most successful teams don't let that happen, and White's been the first guy in a while who seems serious about trying to do something about it. I guarantee you that if teams are scouting us and see that, they'll keep their heads up a bit more and jab a little less if they think White's going to come after them.

I by no means condone what White did last night. I thought it was a cheap shot to hit a guy who couldn't defend himself because he was being held and I thought White should have been kicked out of the game. That said, I also think the refs were soft on calls against Minny too.

But as wrong as it was of White, the fact is that the Habs have a team have been soft for years when it comes to things like this. We have some guys who can hit, but we haven't had anyone willing to drop the gloves regularly and make the other team think twice (and no, neither Moen nor BGL has been successful at that). So while I disapprove of the way White did things, I can understand why the coach would be willing to take a penalty in that case to show that we're not going to lay down and take hits and jabs after the whistle. We've seen many times this season that our guys have been sucker-punched or slashed after the play and there has been very little in retribution. So while White should not have hit a defenseless player, it's just as bad to see guys stand around and do nothing when our goalie or another teammate takes shots. Most successful teams don't let that happen, and White's been the first guy in a while who seems serious about trying to do something about it. I guarantee you that if teams are scouting us and see that, they'll keep their heads up a bit more and jab a little less if they think White's going to come after them.

I've always held that the best way to make a team think twice about shenannigans after the whistle is to bury them with power-play goals. Stuff like what White did is feel-good for the fans in the moment, but I honestly can live with being percieved as a weak team if we can come away with a few extra PPs which lead to a better result in the game.

I do get it from a team morale standpoint, though, but I still say that the best way to build morale is to win games. If an extra PP can help us do that, I'm all for it.

Edit: I want to add that I'm all for physical play between the whistles, and also that I generally like White's gumption. I think this one act was crossing the line, but in general I like that he stands up for his teammates when he does it within the rules.

I'm glad he did what he did. It lets other teams know that MTL will not be a pushover anymore.

Beautiful!!! Shoot first ask questions later. I'm so glad that White didn't hire a lawyer to discuss the slash for him! It might take Canadiens fans a while to get used to this alternative method?

Great post Ted.

I agree with most of it. Except I looooved the cheap shots white delivered :lol:

I hope he keeps them coming. I watch every other team do this to us every year. Then I come on here and see people saying, no fair no fair. Well the refs think it's fair, so that means it is fair.

I like the way a caller on 990am put it. He said that what White did may not be right but I watch other teams do this to us every night and it felt really good to see the shoe on the other foot for once.

Well it sure did! :P

I know this is old, but I don't think what White did was wrong at all. You jab at the goalie, expect to pay a price.

Teams will think otherwise if MTL uses White, Staubitz and a few more guys who will stand up for their teammates. White alone, is not enough of a deterrent.

I like this dude.;)

I know this is old, but I don't think what White did was wrong at all. You jab at the goalie, expect to pay a price.

Teams will think otherwise if MTL uses White, Staubitz and a few more guys who will stand up for their teammates. White alone, is not enough of a deterrent.

No, I fully agree that you defend your goalie and teammates and that we don't have enough of that on the team. But punching a guy in the face who's being held by a teammate is low. It's what some of our rivals would do, but there's no reason to stoop to that level.

No, I fully agree that you defend your goalie and teammates and that we don't have enough of that on the team. But punching a guy in the face who's being held by a teammate is low. It's what some of our rivals would do, but there's no reason to stoop to that level.

If you're not ready to face some sort of repercussion(s) for jabbing at a goalie, then too bad for you. How many years can a guy be in hockey and not expect this sort of thing?

If you're not ready to face some sort of repercussion(s) for jabbing at a goalie, then too bad for you. How many years can a guy be in hockey and not expect this sort of thing?

I don't think it's whether or not repercussions are merited, it's, was what he did OK? I found it pretty cowardly to start throwing punches at a player being held by another guy, why not just drop the gloves the right way?

I don't think it's whether or not repercussions are merited, it's, was what he did OK? I found it pretty cowardly to start throwing punches at a player being held by another guy, why not just drop the gloves the right way?

Again, he shoulda seen it coming. In the heat of the moment stuff happens in games. White dealt with it the way he thought it had to be done. I have no problems with it. Its called good enforcing.

Again, he shoulda seen it coming. In the heat of the moment stuff happens in games. White dealt with it the way he thought it had to be done. I have no problems with it. Its called good enforcing.

Then Campoli should have seen White coming and let go. If anything, our retaliation was worse than the initial infraction and when Matt Kassian challenged White he refused to fight him. Teaming up on a guy with 1 man holding down the guy's arms and the other guy throwing punches is cowardly, if you want to step up and make him "pay", do it the right way.

Then Campoli should have seen White coming and let go. If anything, our retaliation was worse than the initial infraction and when Matt Kassian challenged White he refused to fight him. Teaming up on a guy with 1 man holding down the guy's arms and the other guy throwing punches is cowardly, if you want to step up and make him "pay", do it the right way.

Yah, except BGL and his code are gone from this league. White did it the right way. There is so much video evidence of guys doing this, its ridiculous.

As for Campoli, who knows what he was thinking. Again, White did what had to be done.

Archived