The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Andrei Kostitsyn

#46 Andrei Kostitsyn

8470603.jpg

QUOTE LIBRARY

“ Andrei Kostitsyn is an important part of our group of forwards, and we are happy to have agreed to a contract extension with him. As a player drafted and developed by the Canadiens organization, Andrei ranks year after year amongst our point leaders” - Pierre Gauthier - hockeyinsideout.com June 9, 2011

From the 2010-2011 thread:

"I really believe he's a player that's going to help us, who we need," said Martin. "No different from some other players." - nhl.com

"Even on the bench, I feel he's very interested in the game,"" said Plekanec. ""He's talking and he's into it. He wants to play well. Hopefully he can keep it up and we'll have a strong line."" - TSN.ca preseason game recap, Habs-Islanders 2 October 2010"

"He has a lot of tools. He can beat you with his speed, his shot, his strength. He's got a great overall game."" - Brian Gionta

"Andrei is playing great. He's way more involved, driving to the net so hard. He's a big part of our line this year and you can tell our line is much stronger with him playing the way he is." - Tomas Plekanec - The Gazette, 18 October 2010

“He’s got such a dynamic skill set and he’s doing things right all over the ice, it’s paying off and that’s nice to see. I think we all know what he’s capable of and his level of focus is where it needs to be. He’s been consistently good, he’s playing at the top of his game and it’s fun playing with him.” - Michael Cammalleri - canadiens.com 23 october 2010

Can't wait to see how he will play this year. At least we know that he'll win us 5-10 games when he plays like an elite forward xD

Yup, I think he gets around 40 points this season. With Patches and Cole here, I expect his PP time to drop significantly; however, I think on the Power Play he'd be more effective than gomez.

Yup, I think he gets around 40 points this season. With Patches and Cole here, I expect his PP time to drop significantly; however, I think on the Power Play he'd be more effective than gomez.

Maybe with the pressure off, he'll light it up. Who knows?

Maybe with the pressure off, he'll light it up. Who knows?

The pressure imo, was only part of AK's struggles. In years past, when he wasn't scoring, he'd disappear. Last season he got off to a good start, it didn't take 15+ games to get going. And when he struggled to score(which happened when PG put him with Gomez), he didn't regress, when he was demoted, he didn't sulk. He started to throw his weight around, continued to shoot on net, drove to the net and made those 2nd and 3rd efforts we didn't see from him in previous years.

His hard work payed off and it kept him on the team for one more season.

Cole is pretty bad on the PP, he may initially be up on the 2nd unit but I wouldn't be surprised if he lost some time. Kostitsyn isn't exactly great on the PP either though so that should be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw Desharnais and Gomez both playing together on the PP leaving Kostitsyn AND Cole with less minutes.

As for him or Gomez, Gomez is better PP producer, there's no doubt. His PP production last year actually wasn't too bad, it was mostly 5 on 5 issues.

Cole is pretty bad on the PP, he may initially be up on the 2nd unit but I wouldn't be surprised if he lost some time. Kostitsyn isn't exactly great on the PP either though so that should be interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw Desharnais and Gomez both playing together on the PP leaving Kostitsyn AND Cole with less minutes.

As for him or Gomez, Gomez is better PP producer, there's no doubt. His PP production last year actually wasn't too bad, it was mostly 5 on 5 issues.

ahh ok lol

Can't wait to see how he will play this year. At least we know that he'll win us 5-10 games when he plays like an elite forward xD

lol

hes kind of an ace in the hole in that regard. im happy hes back, i want to see continued improvement in his shift by shift game...i.e away from the puck, and his decision making with it that isnt directly related to pure offense

There's no real pressure on Kostitysn this season, is there? :blink: I think fans will finally give up on the "Maybe this year he will breakout for 80 points" mentality and just accept that he's a 40-50 point guy. I really enjoyed that he added a nice, reliable, physical element to his game last season, though. When he hits a scoring slump this season we know he will still contribute on the lower lines!

Ak you know you have it made

To get us to next seasons parade

If you can play every game that you can

You will always be the man

Who gave that little extra push and shove

With a little help from above

If every game your the best you can be

I think this season a cup we shall see

GO AK GO :lol: :lol:

There's no real pressure on Kostitysn this season, is there? :blink: I think fans will finally give up on the "Maybe this year he will breakout for 80 points" mentality and just accept that he's a 40-50 point guy.

True, but if everything goes well & he starts off strong, maybe this year he will breakout for 80 points!!

tee hee.

Another thing that was different from year's past, is when he was in that funk in December/January, he took it upon himself to go talk things out with Jacques Martin rather than keep to himself. I think, as I've said in his old thread, he's starting to feel like an integral part of the team and not someone who will get ditched once his RFA years are over. He may also be feeling a little bit more comfortable than the past few seasons.

Another thing that was different from year's past, is when he was in that funk in December/January, he took it upon himself to go talk things out with Jacques Martin rather than keep to himself. I think, as I've said in his old thread, he's starting to feel like an integral part of the team and not someone who will get ditched once his RFA years are over. He may also be feeling a little bit more comfortable than the past few seasons.

Very good post. Exactly, He's smiling more too. He brings something that a lot of our players don't bring.

Now that his brother is gone, he has no choice to try and fit in. His brother leaving (imo) did a world of good. Plus, seeing his brother do well in Nashville, he's going to want to match it.

I always said that being with his brother was bad for him,now I think he feels much happier has no divided loyalties and he seemed to enjoy his hockey last season,that was what was making a difference,I think we will see a much more consistent AK this season where ever he plays,I think too he has lost some fat and gained muscle his face looked thinner especially to wards the end of the season,I don't think we have to worry about AK,I think he has grown into himself at last.I think he will be a big suprise and I can't wait to see him on the ice.

GO AK GO :lol: :lol:

I dunno about this brother thing. Let's not forget that Andrei enjoyed his best season production-wise (07-08) when Sergei was still a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization. I'm more inclined to attribute his improvement to Martin working with him and getting him to buy into improving his play without the puck. Playing long stints on the third line with Eller also helped him as well. I mean, I'm not saying SK leaving couldn't have affected Andrei positively, but it's the kind of impact that's nearly impossible for us to gauge without corroboration from Andrei himself (if someone finds an interview where Andrei explicitly states that he feels better now that his brother is gone, I'll happily retract my words).

Looking forward to a big season for AK46. Not sure which line AK46 will play on. But with four centers that can pass like Pleks, DD, Eller, and Gomez there should be plenty of opportunity for AK46 to score goals. I think that 30 - 35 goals is realistic.

I stand by my assessment from last season.

I think that Andrei is never going to develop to be the player we wanted him to be. I do however, feel that he has developed into a very good 3rd liner (think AK-Eller-Moen) and a decent top 6 winger. This past season, he dramatically improved his play, he was becoming more of a hitter, and I did notice some improvement to his defensive play. He still had the odd game where it looked like the old AK, I noticed in playoffs when he had one. With more time playing beside Eller this year I think we will see one of AK's best seasons, hopefully more productive than his 07-08 year. I think after this season, if he does play better with Eller, we should lock up Andrei to a 2-3 year deal at or around his current salary.

It's all very well that we're happy to have a legitimate top 6 and have AK46 fill out a decent third line now. But from AK46's point of view, the Eric Cole signing may have just made this his last season here in Montreal. Andrei's not a defensive talent. His job is to score goals and create offense, and he now finds himself quite low on the depth chart in that regard. With 6 forwards ahead of him here long-term, AK46 is going to need an injury or huge slump from one of the players ahead of him to break back into the top 6 and frankly, when it comes time to sign a new contract, I can't see him opting to play with a club that has him slotted into the third line for several years. Unless the Habs make a move to ship out Gionta or Cammalleri, I expect the odds AK46 is traded at the deadline or walks at the end of the year are quite high.

Hard to say. Alot will depend on AK himself. It's unlikely he unseats Cole, Cammy or Gionta, but Patches is still young and would be effective on an offensive 3rd line as well, so there's no reason to believe those two couldn't have some healthy competition for a top 6 spot.

It's also very possible he still sees some PP time if he's playing well. I think the offensive opportunities are still there for him if he takes them. What's nice is, we're not as screwed this year if he doesn't take them. B)

Hard to say. Alot will depend on AK himself. It's unlikely he unseats Cole, Cammy or Gionta, but Patches is still young and would be effective on an offensive 3rd line as well, so there's no reason to believe those two couldn't have some healthy competition for a top 6 spot.

It's also very possible he still sees some PP time if he's playing well. I think the offensive opportunities are still there for him if he takes them. What's nice is, we're not as screwed this year if he doesn't take them. B)

Unless Pacioretty regresses, the spot is his to lose. Pacman single-handedly got the Gomez line going last year, after many players including AK himself failed in that role. The Habs have much more invested in Pacioretty succeeding than they do in AK having a career year.

As for the PP, the only way I see AK getting first crack there is if the Habs decide to use a forward at the point, which might happen if Weber doesn't find a way into the line-up. But the Habs are going to use Pacioretty and Cole as the big men on the PP and like you said, I don't see AK unseating Cammy or Gio. The season is long, so there's no doubt AK will have some chances to play the top 6 and get some PP time. But my main point is that he's going to get those chances by virtue of one of the players ahead of him falling off the depth chart and no longer by virtue of his being considered one of the top 6 to start the year. Barring a trade, I can't see AK willingly re-signing into a situation where he's number 7 and has to work his way back up the depth chart when there are lots of other teams with holes to fill in their top 6.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless Pacioretty regresses, the spot is his to lose. Pacman single-handedly got the Gomez line going last year, after many players including AK himself failed in that role. The Habs have much more invested in Pacioretty succeeding than they do in AK having a career year.

As for the PP, the only way I see AK getting first crack there is if the Habs decide to use a forward at the point, which might happen if Weber doesn't find a way into the line-up. But the Habs are going to use Pacioretty and Cole as the big men on the PP and like you said, I don't see AK unseating Cammy or Gio. The season is long, so there's no doubt AK will have some chances to play the top 6 and get some PP time. But my main point is that he's going to get those chances by virtue of one of the players ahead of him falling off the depth chart and no longer by virtue of his being considered one of the top 6 to start the year. Barring a trade, I can't see AK willingly re-signing into a situation where he's number 7 and has to work his way back up the depth chart when there are lots of other teams with holes to fill in their top 6.

Personally, I am fine with AK being on the 3rd line. I think that he plays best there with Eller, and if he eventually does outseat someone on the top 6 then thats great. But I won't be complaining if he doesn't. The addition of Cole and moving AK to play with Eller really gives us a good top 9.