The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#32 Travis Moen 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

#32 Travis Moen

8468635.jpg

QUOTE LIBRARY

“Priority number one for us is we don’t want to get scored on when we’re out there. We’re all big guys and Larry (Lars Eller) and Kush (Adrei Kostitsyn) are such skilled guys that when they get a chance, they’re going to put the puck in the net. Every line’s first priority is to take care of our end and good things come from that. We go out there and do the little things and we’ve been getting rewarded with a few goals for that lately.” - Travis Moen - canadiens.com March 4 2011

From the 2010-2011 thread:

"I'm a physical guy, finish my checks, stick up for teammates, am good defensively, do a lot of (penalty-killing) and try to chip in offensively when I can." - Travis Moen, Bleacher Report

Moen you may not be the best scorer here

But you give so much, that is clear

You have never been heard to complain

You never will as long as you remain

A HAB which may not be for long

But for you there is a song

A universal soldier you have always been

Even when our years were lean

We don't know what will happen next

But you have earned our undying respect

GO MOEN GO :lol: :lol:

should excel in a checking role, and be good on the PK. Also, having White around helps, so he's not the only fighter.

Moen's not really a fighter, anyway. I mean, sure, he can drop the gloves... But, how many fighting majors did he have last year? Five, six? :unsure: I just hope he maintains a decent defensive game in a limited role.

• 2 weeks later...

Moen you may not be the best scorer here

But you give so much, that is clear

You have never been heard to complain

You never will as long as you remain

A HAB which may not be for long

But for you there is a song

A universal soldier you have always been

Even when our years were lean

We don't know what will happen next

But you have earned our undying respect

GO MOEN GO :lol: :lol:

Amen to that! :D

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=371723

Interesting to see that Moen was one of the top players hitting the net the most frequently (percentage wise). That surprised me a little.

He was always in great position to get a goal, always at the net when he was playing with G2 line. Only problem was he has cement hands and couldn't bury the one timer off the rush.

Nice to see Gorges missed all but one shots, better work on that a little Josh <_<

Interesting to see that Moen was one of the top players hitting the net the most frequently (percentage wise). That surprised me a little.

Another surprising thing was that Ryan White was 2nd in terms of hitting the net(percentage wise).

The problem with Moen is not that he can't hit the net, it's that he does one of two things with the puck: either he buries it right into the goaltender's chest or else he whiffs on the puck completely. That stat doesn't reflect all the times he's been set up alone in front and completely missed the puck on an open-net chance. The other point I'll make is that most of Moen's chances to shoot come from in close, so it's harder to miss for him than a guy like Cammalleri or Gomez, who is always shooting from the outside. On the one hand, it's nice that Moen gets to the net sometimes but he's got zero finish. Ultimately, Travis has some of the worst hands on the team, so to me, that stat is pretty useless.

I remember some where he even found great chances on the PK but couldn't finish.

But I think next year with a 3rd/4th line role full time, he will be an excellent pk man and forechecker. Good luck Travis

Moen is the type of guy who'll get you the odd goal throughout a season. Expecting anything more from him is unrealistic. Metro was a grinder, but from time to time he'd surprise you with a nice play and you could see the guy had hands. This is NOT the case for Moen.

He is what he is, heart and soul player, who brings size. But he can't be expected to do it all. We need to add another player to our lower lines to take some of the pressure off him a lil.

It's like taking a 50 goal scorer and expecting him to win every game for his team... It isn't going to happen. One tough guy, does not make a team tougher. He's not even a fighter, he can drop the gloves if he's asked too, but in no way is he an enforcer and he shouldn't be asked to be one.

Sure Moen has decent size, likes to play physical, but up against a team like the b's/flyers, he can't be expected to take on the whole team. He needs some sort of support.

Moen is the type of guy who'll get you the odd goal throughout a season. Expecting anything more from him is unrealistic. Metro was a grinder, but from time to time he'd surprise you with a nice play and you could see the guy had hands. This is NOT the case for Moen.

He is what he is, heart and soul player, who brings size. But he can't be expected to do it all. We need to add another player to our lower lines to take some of the pressure off him a lil.

It's like taking a 50 goal scorer and expecting him to win every game for his team... It isn't going to happen. One tough guy, does not make a team tougher. He's not even a fighter, he can drop the gloves if he's asked too, but in no way is he an enforcer and he shouldn't be asked to be one.

Sure Moen has decent size, likes to play physical, but up against a team like the b's/flyers, he can't be expected to take on the whole team. He needs some sort of support.

Only problem is who would we have in mind? I know BGL was next to no help, but could a player like white give him the support needed? White also likes to play physical, fights more often than Travis, and is a heart and soul player who gives 100% each shift.

• 2 weeks later...

Travis Moen will continue to do what he does. He plays excellent defense and is very sound positionally. He seems to have a knack for getting the puck on net, but with out the hands to finish. He should be on the third line playing with Eller and AK, as they all have chemistry together and play a solid north south game, and can win battles. Should he get some lucky bounces this year, he should get 10 goals. I believe he has it in him. He will also be playing on the #1 PK as he should be.

stat predictions

78 Games Played 11 Goals 18 Points 29 (May be a bit high.)

I think Travis will have a great year. We have enough scoring depth that he can do what he does best, and that's playing on an energy line, being physical, playing good defense, and killing penalties like a boss.

Lets hope we never see Moen on a top 6 wing ever again

Not to be mean, he just doesn't have the hands

Lets hope we never see Moen on a top 6 wing ever again

Not to be mean, he just doesn't have the hands

Exactly, and I don't think we'll have to. Moen is a very good checking forward, he's good defensively, tough, and hits like a ton of bricks. He's a great energy guy, but the Moen top 6 experiment is thankfully over. Pacioretty and Cole should provide physicality for the top 2 lines, as well as speed and offensive skill.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont't think so. He is a good PK guy, but that is all he brings and is slowly losing his job to White, IMO. There will most likely be much better options available through fee agency and he will not be worth signing.

I agree with this. Moen doesn't bring enough to the table to be able to keep in the line-up when there are younger, cheaper options available. We signed Moen for

1. His size

2. His veteran presence

3. His defensive ability

Unfortunately for him, his value only comes in the last category. We have a wealth of vets up front without him and he just doesn't hit or fight enough to make up for how bad his hands are. White is a much better energy guy with a better offensive upside (albeit a small one) and there are guys like Conboy and Schultz and Blunden who might be able to make the jump at some point in the next 2-3 years and bring size too. As a defensive forward, we have Engqvist ready to make a push for the big club, and Palushaj, Trotter, and Dumont are going to vie for spots on the lower lines too. All that to say that with a good 8-9 forwards already with the club in our long-term plans, I doubt there is much room to keep Moen too.

Hmm... I think Moen is better defensively than he gets credit for. Outside of Halpern and Plekanec, I think he was probably our best defensive forward last year. I don't know if he'll lose his spot to White, I think White's become very overrated really quick because he hits and fights. White is a great energy guy, he skates and hits and fights....and that's it. His offensive talents are a non factor at this level, and his defensive game is average at best. Moen is a far above average defensive forward, and I think on a third line he'll excel, as the pressure will be off him (not on the Gomez line).

Plekanec-Moen seems like a good 1st PK unit to me.

Archived