The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#26 Josh Gorges 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

I love Gorges, and I think his new contract at 3.9M is a fair price, and there's probably nobody else on the roster I'd want to give a 6 year deal to who isn't named Subban or Price. That being said, I think it's clear that he isn't a top pairing defenseman. He is a legit top-4, second pairing guy, but we saw this year what happens when you give him first pairing minutes over an 82 game season. He wears down, and as much as CBC and the media lemmings want to preach about him being a "hard worker", and blocking shots, he definitely regressed in the past 20 games of the year or so. The problem was that we were trying to get him to be Roman Hamrlik from last season, when he's not Roman Hamrlik. There's a reason Hammer got 5.5 and Gorges is being paid 3.9. He's not a top pairing D, and that's OK, I just hope he doesn't get put in that role again.

I'd like to see us sign a big physical shut down UFA guy to play on the 1st pairing with Subban (Suter would be amazing but that's a pipe dream), and have Markov-Gorges as our second pairing. I feel absolutely confident in Josh on the 2nd pairing, getting roughly 20 minutes a night, he can absolutely fill that role. I just don't want to see him having to play above his head and be a top pairing guy playing 25+ mins a night against the best players on opposing teams.

The only problem is, who will be available? The only players I can think of who could fit into this role are Stuart, Jackman and Suter. These players will likely stay with their current teams or we have no realistic chance of signing them. I agree with you that we need to sign someone to play with Subban, and Gorges shouldnt have to play over his head in that role, but I think we may see him in that role again for one more year.

I guess you're right. Unless Emelin takes big strides there's nobody else to take that spot. Maybe we could go Markov-Subban, and then Emelin-Gorges? I mean, it's a waste of puck moving capability to have both Markov and Subban together, but if he's healthy I like Markov better as Subban's partner taking the big matchups than Gorges.

Marky is a worse option than Gorges unless he becomes at least close to what he was before. If we get the Marky we saw for 13 games then no way he will be able to go against the top lines.

Neither of them is a viable top-pairing option. Markov is no longer a no. 1 guy; Gorges never was and wears down over a full 82-game season playing top-pairing minutes. The last month of the 11-12 regular season was probably the worst hockey I've seen Gorges play in two years.

As I've said elsewhere, I believe our top priority over the summer should be finding a physical, stay-at-home d-man to partner Subban on the top pairing, which would let us play Markov-Gorges in a suitable second-pairing role.

Neither of them is a viable top-pairing option. Markov is no longer a no. 1 guy; Gorges never was and wears down over a full 82-game season playing top-pairing minutes. The last month of the 11-12 regular season was probably the worst hockey I've seen Gorges play in two years.

As I've said elsewhere, I believe our top priority over the summer should be finding a physical, stay-at-home d-man to partner Subban on the top pairing, which would let us play Markov-Gorges in a suitable second-pairing role.

Absolutely, and if we're unable to obtain that guy, I think we roll the dice and try to fast track Emelin. You can start Gorges on that top pairing if necessary (he's proven he can be effective there for a decent amount of games as least) and try to transition Emelin into that spot.

It's certainly not my first choice, but looking at the UFA list I think we might be forced to go that route. The last thing I want to see is us lock up an average veteran defenseman to a long-term contract.

• 1 month later...

I love Gorges, and I think his new contract at 3.9M is a fair price, and there's probably nobody else on the roster I'd want to give a 6 year deal to who isn't named Subban or Price. That being said, I think it's clear that he isn't a top pairing defenseman. He is a legit top-4, second pairing guy, but we saw this year what happens when you give him first pairing minutes over an 82 game season. He wears down, and as much as CBC and the media lemmings want to preach about him being a "hard worker", and blocking shots, he definitely regressed in the past 20 games of the year or so. The problem was that we were trying to get him to be Roman Hamrlik from last season, when he's not Roman Hamrlik. There's a reason Hammer got 5.5 and Gorges is being paid 3.9. He's not a top pairing D, and that's OK, I just hope he doesn't get put in that role again.

I'd like to see us sign a big physical shut down UFA guy to play on the 1st pairing with Subban (Suter would be amazing but that's a pipe dream), and have Markov-Gorges as our second pairing. I feel absolutely confident in Josh on the 2nd pairing, getting roughly 20 minutes a night, he can absolutely fill that role. I just don't want to see him having to play above his head and be a top pairing guy playing 25+ mins a night against the best players on opposing teams.

In defense of Gorges many games he had more games played than the other five combined. He is a high character guy and probably captain some day. He was undrafted by the Kelowna rockets but captained them in winning the Memorial Cup. Undrafted by the NHL, but i bet there isn't a team in the where he wouldn,t be a top 4.

As a little personal experience a while back i took the bus from Kelowna to see the HABS in Van. Riding that same bus was Josh's Mom and some family and friends. they could have flown, but no, they spent 5 hours on a bus. That's the kind of stock he comes from. The HABS need those kind of players. They are not easily found. i would take 20 Gorges type players over 20 Kostitsyn types. I know we would always be battling.

In defense of Gorges many games he had more games played than the other five combined. He is a high character guy and probably captain some day. He was undrafted by the Kelowna rockets but captained them in winning the Memorial Cup. Undrafted by the NHL, but i bet there isn't a team in the where he wouldn,t be a top 4.

As a little personal experience a while back i took the bus from Kelowna to see the HABS in Van. Riding that same bus was Josh's Mom and some family and friends. they could have flown, but no, they spent 5 hours on a bus. That's the kind of stock he comes from. The HABS need those kind of players. They are not easily found. i would take 20 Gorges type players over 20 Kostitsyn types. I know we would always be battling.

Oh of course, I'm not saying he's a bad player, nor am I discounting his character or work ethic. I'm just saying he's not a first pairing D.

Oh of course, I'm not saying he's a bad player, nor am I discounting his character or work ethic. I'm just saying he's not a first pairing D.

Yeah. He is one guy I would hate to lose. Guys like him and Moen help keep the team's feet on the ground.

Yeah. He is one guy I would hate to lose. Guys like him and Moen help keep the team's feet on the ground.

And now that we have white and Staubitz(if we resign him), Moen will have backup. We need to get tougher. Not sure if Staubitz will be resigned, he's not the greatest enforcer, wild let him go cos they had a better enforcer. He's along the lines of Domi, on the small side, but not afraid to drop the gloves.

Ideally, I'd like to get another guy like Moen, tough, gritty, knows his role (a true grinder) and can drop the gloves when needed.

And now that we have white and Staubitz(if we resign him), Moen will have backup. We need to get tougher. Not sure if Staubitz will be resigned, he's not the greatest enforcer, wild let him go cos they had a better enforcer. He's along the lines of Domi, on the small side, but not afraid to drop the gloves.

Ideally, I'd like to get another guy like Moen, tough, gritty, knows his role (a true grinder) and can drop the gloves when needed.

I'm OK with these guys as I believe if we have guys willing to standup it cools the other team down. Sutters weren't great fighters but were extremely tough. just show-up for eac other.

I'm OK with these guys as I believe if we have guys willing to standup it cools the other team down. Sutters weren't great fighters but were extremely tough. just show-up for eac other.

That's just it, when you have guys who are under 6' or over 6' and soft (like Pouliot), there's not much standing up for each other. That one game against the bruins we had our butts handed to us, Pyatt was pushed around, Patches was double teamed by chara and another (chara should've been ejected, Patches was already fighting a bruin when chara skated up and started punching him in the back of the head) and our other guys were much help either.

Guys like the sutters knew their roles and did what they had to do for the team. Pyatt tried, but was simply too small to do anything but stop a fist with his face.

One of the reason why the Kings have done so well this post season (apart from quick) is their size and grit. None of them are really fighters, but they're big, physical and can hold their own. Brown isn't overly big (kinda average), but he has grit, Kops is a big guy, so is penner, both Richards and Carter learned to be physical playing in Philly.

Truth be told, they're not a high scoring team, but they play as a team and will match just about any team in the physical department. Similar team to the b's who won the cup last season... Stellar tender, no real stars, but a well balanced and physical team. Despite having a horrible PP, the b's FO's, tending and physicality was too much for the nucks.

Gorges isn't a big guy, but he's tough as nails. Can take a hit, give one and has thrown down and stood up for a teammate when needed. Fighting is not his strong suit, but isn't afraid to take a few punches to come to a teammates aid.

Truth be told, they're not a high scoring team, but they play as a team and will match just about any team in the physical department. Similar team to the b's who won the cup last season... Stellar tender, no real stars, but a well balanced and physical team. Despite having a horrible PP, the b's FO's, tending and physicality was too much for the nucks.

Well, I agree that the B's don't have stars up front (although Bergeron is an incredibly valuable two way guy). But as you said, they got a once in a lifetime performance from Thomas (which is a big part of their win), and Chara is arguably the best shutdown defenseman in the game. They might not have offensive star power (although Seguin might change that), but Chara is just so good, and he is a true top tier superstar.

Well, I agree that the B's don't have stars up front (although Bergeron is an incredibly valuable two way guy). But as you said, they got a once in a lifetime performance from Thomas (which is a big part of their win), and Chara is arguably the best shutdown defenseman in the game. They might not have offensive star power (although Seguin might change that), but Chara is just so good, and he is a true top tier superstar.

Don't get me wrong, Chara and Thomas are both excellent players, but both are quite overrated in my opinion. Thomas has some of the worst rebound control in the league and his positioning is not great either. He's acrobatic and that saves him, but he hardly impresses me. As for Chara, he has the size and he has he shot and he plays big minutes. But if you watch him, he gets beat quite a bit down low in his own zone and he frequently loses pucks in his own feet. He relies a lot on intimidation but his actual defensive skill is quite poor. I believe Boston benefits from a deep line-up and a bunch of guys who have gelled well together and bought into Julien's system. This is one team where I really feel coaching is helping to get the best out of each player.

Getting back to Gorges, I've always been of the mindset that in the event you don't have one of the top 5-10 players to lean on, you need to build a team with guys who fulfill certain roles. You need guys who can play the penalty kill and block shots, you need players who can win face-offs, and you need ones who can hit and fight in addition to the guys with scoring fire-power. Gorges is a guy who fulfills a nice on the team and who does his job well. They aren't the Big 3 by any means, but I like Subban, Gorges, and Emelin as 3 cogs around whom you can build a defence. If we can develop Tinordi into a shutdown bruiser and Beaulieu into an offensive catalyst, then we'd really only be one good defenceman away from building a very nice top 6 long-term.

Yeah, Gorges is definitely a good piece to have. 3.9M is a very good price and we have him long term. I just don't believe we'll get anywhere with a team if we can't find a better 1st pairing D-man. Gorges just isn't that guy, and he, Subban, and Emelin definitely make a good core, but we need another top pairing guy (I believe Subban already is one). A pre-injury Markov type player.

Yeah, Gorges is definitely a good piece to have. 3.9M is a very good price and we have him long term. I just don't believe we'll get anywhere with a team if we can't find a better 1st pairing D-man. Gorges just isn't that guy, and he, Subban, and Emelin definitely make a good core, but we need another top pairing guy (I believe Subban already is one). A pre-injury Markov type player.

Completely agreed about needing another top 2-3 guy, Noob. All I'm saying is that if I was going to build a team (under cap constraints) and needed to find a #4 guy and a #5 guy, Gorges and Emelin stack up reasonably well against whatever other teams can offer up in those slots. It's pretty easy to find a passable #6 guy, so if we can get markov back up to top 3 form, then we're really just one top D man away from having a pretty solid D corps.

I like the idea of signing Matt Carle.

Carle-Subban

Markov-Gorges (probably one of the best #2 pairings in the NHL)

Emelin-Diaz

Weber/UFA goon D-man (Paul Mara type).

That looks like a far better D corps to me, Carle may not be quite a top pairing D like we want, but I think maybe we could do a top 4 by comittee, and go with the hot pairing as our functional number 1. I just see Carle as a good complement to Subban, and Gorges with Markov would be awesome.

I like the idea of signing Matt Carle.

Carle-Subban

Markov-Gorges (probably one of the best #2 pairings in the NHL)

Emelin-Diaz

Weber/UFA goon D-man (Paul Mara type).

That looks like a far better D corps to me, Carle may not be quite a top pairing D like we want, but I think maybe we could do a top 4 by comittee, and go with the hot pairing as our functional number 1. I just see Carle as a good complement to Subban, and Gorges with Markov would be awesome.

Weber is more likely to be pushed around by a goon.

I think we need to find another vet top 4 guy (jackman is who i want) and sign him for a few years. Then as he ages and Tinordi is ready to take on that top shutdown role, you have a defense of

Tinordi-Subban

Gorges-Beaulieu/Emelin

Jackman-Whoever from up there

From what I've read and heard on TSN Jackman's game took a decline this year which made way for some of the younger blue's D men. I like the guy and the way he plays but I would be wary of him wearing down he is still going to get a pretty good wage so if I was to sign him I would look for something around 2 years so his age doesn't catch up with him and he isn't worth the contract. That being said he is one of the only ufa's available who could jump right into a top 4 role.

I wouldn't mind looking for a guy like Shane O'brien for our bottom paring either, he would come at a decent price and could give a veteran/tough presence for a few seasons and if he plays well and there is an injury he should be capable in the top 4.

From what I've read and heard on TSN Jackman's game took a decline this year which made way for some of the younger blue's D men. I like the guy and the way he plays but I would be wary of him wearing down he is still going to get a pretty good wage so if I was to sign him I would look for something around 2 years so his age doesn't catch up with him and he isn't worth the contract. That being said he is one of the only ufa's available who could jump right into a top 4 role.

I wouldn't mind looking for a guy like Shane O'brien for our bottom paring either, he would come at a decent price and could give a veteran/tough presence for a few seasons and if he plays well and there is an injury he should be capable in the top 4.

Sometimes players have loosy years. Maybe get a discount because they are out to prove that the last season isn't the norm. just a thought.

Archived