The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Brian Gionta 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

#21 Brian Gionta

8467407.jpg

QUOTE LIBRARY

"When you battle that hard and you know you have a team that could’ve won the series, it definitely hurts. I thought we played hard and we showed a lot of character." - Brian Gionta - canadiens.com April 28 2011

From the 2010-2011 thread:

A plus for the former Devils is that they flourished with a defence-oriented club in New Jersey, which is how the Canadiens are expected to play under new coach Jacques Martin. "I have a lot of respect for him and the way he handles his team," said Gionta. - thehockeynews.com

“I’ve known Brian for a long time and he sets an example with his work ethic,” Gill said. “He’s the smallest guy out there, but he plays big and he commands respect by winning battles and scoring key goals.” - Montreal Gazette, 29 September 2010

“He’s fearless, he goes to the net like few other guys I’ve seen,” defenceman Josh Gorges said recently of Gionta, who led the Habs with 28 goals last year despite missing 21 games through injury. “He doesn’t care how much traffic there is or how big guys are.” - The Globe and Mail, 29 September 2010

With a skilled center and a big winger he can score 30 goals.

He came so close to doing it last year and that was with Gomez posting the worst #'s of his career as his centre. Gio doesn't get enough credit, realistically, he's been our most consistent winger.

He is what he is... A speedy, small winger, who's consistently put up between 20-27 goals a season. Hope he can finally hit the 30 goal mark.

He came so close to doing it last year and that was with Gomez posting the worst #'s of his career as his centre. Gio doesn't get enough credit, realistically, he's been our most consistent winger.

He is what he is... A speedy, small winger, who's consistently put up between 20-27 goals a season. Hope he can finally hit the 30 goal mark.

He almost did it last year with Gomez struggling yes, and the year before when Gomez was above average he scored 28 goals in 61 games, a 37 goal pace. He's been great for us, actually worth what I thought at the time was a very bad contract. The cap continuing to rise doesn't hurt the value either. Very good player.

gomez can not possibly have a worse year, and patches rounding out that line was working out very nicely. it makes such a difference when we have a second line going strong. at any rate you know what your going to get from the captain, it can only get better if his whole line is going

He almost did it last year with Gomez struggling yes, and the year before when Gomez was above average he scored 28 goals in 61 games, a 37 goal pace. He's been great for us, actually worth what I thought at the time was a very bad contract. The cap continuing to rise doesn't hurt the value either. Very good player.

Absolutely. He's been really solid value on that contract which I did not expect at all. I know year 4 and 5 were the concern, but he hasn't shown any signs of slowing down yet. B)

Gio I may not be your number one fan

But I know you always do as much as you can

Last season wasn't easy for you

What with Gomez,injuries,and captaincy too

We know as always you will give of your all

Your guts and determination never fall

So lets hope next season will

Your best season we will ever see

GO GIO GO :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Good point Roy, I forgot that Gio broke his foot in his first season with us. Fans were excited about Cammy, but imo Gio been our best acquisition of that summer.

If Gomez can find some consistency, Gio's goal totals should rise. I'm not expecting him to score 40 or 50 goals, but anything above 30 would be great. We also have Patches coming back and he was a big help in the 40 odd games he played.

I'm not satisfied with out forwards, could always improve. Provided we stay healthy, we should see more goals than we did last season.

Once again, defense is a concern. Too many unknowns... PK entering his sophomore season (hope he doesn't have the sophomore jinx), Yemelin(could go either way), Markov's health, Gorges' health and our vets are a year older.

Good point Roy, I forgot that Gio broke his foot in his first season with us. Fans were excited about Cammy, but imo Gio been our best acquisition of that summer.

If Gomez can find some consistency, Gio's goal totals should rise. I'm not expecting him to score 40 or 50 goals, but anything above 30 would be great. We also have Patches coming back and he was a big help in the 40 odd games he played.

I'm not satisfied with out forwards, could always improve. Provided we stay healthy, we should see more goals than we did last season.

Once again, defense is a concern. Too many unknowns... PK entering his sophomore season (hope he doesn't have the sophomore jinx), Yemelin(could go either way), Markov's health, Gorges' health and our vets are a year older.

I don't think that Gio will score 40/50 goals either, but I would be happy if he can nab 30+. With Patches back I think thats very well possible for Captain Gionta this year.

• 4 weeks later...

You're probably right but that doesn't mean that Gio! will score less, in my mind it only means that he'll repeat his production and Cammy will score more :D

The better one line plays, the more it benefits everyone else. The fact is that players like Gio or Cammy are not going to have their ice time cut down by JM, so if other players are playing well, it only helps to take the pressure off of them and spread out the other team's defensive coverage.

• 1 month later...

I find it fitting that Gionta and Darche are the only player pages still stuck at one. They are so solid that they don't leave much room for concern or discussion.

Well that certainly applies to 1 of the 2.

I don't think 30 goals is the target. I think that 40 should be the target. With three big wingers possible for the Gomez - Gionta line. Lots of opportunity for Gionta to have a big season. Personally I think that Cole would be the best winger for their line even though Max Pac played well with their line last season.

From what Gomez has displayed in the pre-season there is every reason to believe that our #1 line will be our #1 line.

I don't think 30 goals is the target. I think that 40 should be the target. With three big wingers possible for the Gomez - Gionta line. Lots of opportunity for Gionta to have a big season. Personally I think that Cole would be the best winger for their line even though Max Pac played well with their line last season.

From what Gomez has displayed in the pre-season there is every reason to believe that our #1 line will be our #1 line.

Gionta. 40 goals. :unsure: I doubt it. There's no harm in setting the bar that high, but I don't think Gionta will achieve it. He has only once scored 40. Every other year he's played in the NHL he's scored under 30 goals. And that 40 goal year was with Gomez and Elias, I believe. Neither of who is a big winger.

Archived