The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#14 Tomas Plekanec 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

#14 Tomas Plekanec

8469521.jpg

QUOTE LIBRARY

“I’m not trying to do anything special. I’m just trying to play my game and if (Chara) doesn’t like it, that’s his problem.” - Tomas Plekanec - Dave Stubbs faceoff.com April 15 2011

“Over the years I’ve always thought I’ve played tons of minutes and I got used to it. For me, the most important part was the mental side of the game.” - Tomas Plekanec - Dave Stubbs faceoff.com April 15 2011

From the 2010-2011 thread:

"Playing in Montreal is special – ask any player in the League and he's going to tell you that playing in Montreal, whether you're playing for Montreal or against Montreal is special. I have a chance to be a part of the Montreal organization for another six years. I've been part of the organization for eight years already, so I know what it's all about. The city of Montreal – I love it." - Tomas Plakanec, nhl.com

Excited for another awesome year.

Me too, curious to see where JM puts Cole. I have a feeling he'll be on the pleks line, could help cammy find his touch again. Cammy found success until the rest of the league figured out that Pleks was feeding cammy. Having 2 dangerous scorers on one line should do wonders for all of them.

Could this be the year that Pleks surpasses his career best of 70 points?

Me too, curious to see where JM puts Cole. I have a feeling he'll be on the pleks line, could help cammy find his touch again. Cammy found success until the rest of the league figured out that Pleks was feeding cammy. Having 2 dangerous scorers on one line should do wonders for all of them.

Could this be the year that Pleks surpasses his career best of 70 points?

He will unless he gets injured.

Assuming everyone stays reasonably healthy, Plekanec should hit 70 points centering Cammalleri and Cole. And if the Gomez line can provide consistent second-line production, it will take a lot of the heat off Tomas and maybe even create some favorable matchups for him, as teams realize they can't just key in on his line.

Assuming everyone stays reasonably healthy, Plekanec should hit 70 points centering Cammalleri and Cole. And if the Gomez line can provide consistent second-line production, it will take a lot of the heat off Tomas and maybe even create some favorable matchups for him, as teams realize they can't just key in on his line.

Health is the big concern for the Pleks line. Cammy has had his share of injuries since joining the HABS and we're all well aware of Cole's long list of injuries.

This could be a very good line, provided they stay healthy.

The Gomez line has to start producing. Pleks numbers have always tapered off in the 2nd half of the season. And I in no way blame Pleks for this. C'mon, the guy does everything for us, scores, sets up, back checks, kills penalties and has to make up for the lack of production from our 2nd line(excluding Gio). It's a lot to put on his shoulders, he's not a big guy and with all his responsibilities, it's no wonder he slows down at the end of the season.

Having Patches on the 2nd line to start the season, should help relieve some pressure.

the exact 2 things i had in mind. im excited not only to see what he can do with an improved line, but also with an improved second line

This season we will see Pleks even better

Might get the chance to be a netter

Instead of playing every role

Can concentrate on the goal

Will always give as much as he can

Will always try to be the man

That helps everybody in his play

He's so good, he's made that way

So unassuming but so very great

For next season I can't wait

GO PLEKS GO :lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming Scott Gomez has SOME sort of bounce-back this year from his abysmal 2010-2011 performance :unsure: , I think it's safe to hope that Plekanec should score a few more points, as well. Anytime more than one center on the team is an offensive threat, we can only assume that space would open up for the other offensive players, too! So, if Scott bounces back, does that mean Tomas has some better match-ups, some better scoring chances, some more open ice? I hope so!

We all know that Pleks will just do everything he can to help the team win,whatever it takes,if the rest of the team has improved it will just give him a chance to play his game,instead of doing everything.

GO PLEKS GO :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think what slows him down is that he gets injured in the second half of the season like clock work. It starts to happen in about February and March. He tries to play through it and it never ends good. lol.

If you believe that then it brings other questions, why is he getting hurt right around the same time of the season every year, like clock work? It can't just be a coincidence, it could be because he's playing more than he should be (he plays normal 1st line center minutes, nothing insane, same amount as Gio) or he plays a style of hockey that he can't sustain.

The other option is that he just can't keep himself healthy for 82 games but I don't believe that.

If you believe that then it brings other questions, why is he getting hurt right around the same time of the season every year, like clock work? It can't just be a coincidence, it could be because he's playing more than he should be (he plays normal 1st line center minutes, nothing insane, same amount as Gio) or he plays a style of hockey that he can't sustain.

The other option is that he just can't keep himself healthy for 82 games but I don't believe that.

Was it a tweaked hip last season and then a groin this season? Is it because teams target him more, knowing that Gomez isn't producing so they know that hitting Pleks harder will wear him down and hamper our chances of scoring?

To expand, it's not even just Plekanec's second half offensive dip that concerns me, I mean I find his offensive game clearly begins to slow into February - March but I do notice him playing with less energy. He's a smart player so he can still be useful but the slow is noticeable IMO.

Just a quick look up of his last 3 post all star/Olympic break performances shows a pretty wide gap.

Pre break PPG: .77

Post break PPG: .56

That doesn't include his playoff numbers (16 points in 29 games, .55 PPG).

There's a larger first half sample and a lot of the issues have really been the last 2 years, he was basically equally awful in the 1st and 2nd half of 08-09.

Was it a tweaked hip last season and then a groin this season? Is it because teams target him more, knowing that Gomez isn't producing so they know that hitting Pleks harder will wear him down and hamper our chances of scoring?

I doubt that to be honest, Gomez only really only wasn't producing this past year, it happened in 09-10 when Gomez had 58 points and Pleks 70 and that was likely Plekanec's most extreme split season.

To expand, it's not even just Plekanec's second half offensive dip that concerns me, I mean I find his offensive game clearly begins to slow into February - March but I do notice him playing with less energy. He's a smart player so he can still be useful but the slow is noticeable IMO.

Just a quick look up of his last 3 post all star/Olympic break performances shows a pretty wide gap.

There's a larger first half sample and a lot of the issues have really been the last 2 years, he was basically equally awful in the 1st and 2nd half of 08-09.

I doubt that to be honest, Gomez only really only wasn't producing this past year, it happened in 09-10 when Gomez had 58 points and Pleks 70 and that was likely Plekanec's most extreme split season.

In 09-10 were we not missing like Gomez Cammi and Gio for points of the season? and I think all 3 at once at one point? It would make sense for him to get hit more often as he was essentially the last top 6 we had at that point besides Pouliot/AK/whoever else was in our top 6 that year

In 09-10 were we not missing like Gomez Cammi and Gio for points of the season? and I think all 3 at once at one point? It would make sense for him to get hit more often as he was essentially the last top 6 we had at that point besides Pouliot/AK/whoever else was in our top 6 that year

Gomez missed 4 games all season and yes both Gionta and Cammalleri missed some time (at different times I believe) but no, I don't think it really makes a lot of sense that it would be a difference maker. Any time a player who is a physical player has a clean chance to hit a top end player like Plekanec, Gionta, Cammalleri or whoever, they will. I don't buy that during the regular season there's some kind of significant emphasis on taking out Plekanec.

It maybe that them all missing some time caused him to get too much ice time, but he actually played more this past season.

I have no idea what the stats are for how many hits a player gets but I am pretty sure Pleks took more hits this past season,as you might have guessed Pleks is my favorite,and I love to watch him on the break away,but he didn't get any where near the chances to break this year because he was being hit,he was being marked so much more than the previous 2 years.But when you get an all rounder like Pleks is,who plays in every situation,it is bound to wear on you,how much time was he on the ice for the penalty kill this past season,in one period of one game we had 13 minutes of penalties,is it harder to play Pk I would think so,it's not just the amount of time on the ice,it's what you are doing when you are out there,it has to be a lot easier to pass round the puck on the PP.I agree Pleks does seem to slow down in the second half,but it is because he has to do too much.His playoff stats mean nothing,because he spends his time marking players,he was asked in an interview after last seasons playoffs,if he minded that he had to mark instead of playing O, he said what ever it takes for the team to win,that says it all for me,he sacrifices himself too much in the first half of the season,perhaps he should be a little more selfish,so maybe he is not efficient and your right.

GO PLEKS GO :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In addition to fatigue, a factor is also the games getting tighter and more physical as the year goes on and the veteran referees "tucking" away their whistles more frequently as the season progresses leaving less open ice for a mobile shifty player like Plekanec. Also, the after the whistle abuse he takes nightly gets revved up down the stretch as well.

Guest habs1952

The Scott Gomez syndrome? When you play with a linemate(s) who are struggling to score or are well below your talent level so you start to think "why should I work so hard when there are no positive results?"

Tomas is consistently useful however, even when he isn't producing. He slowed down last season but after 22 minutes per game in all situations, playing with as much energy as he does, you are bound to run out of steam eventually. Not to mention his minor injury he suffered in the spring set him back a bit.

At the end of the day, he is still the very best player on our roster along with Price and a healthy Markov. His importance to the team can't be overstated. Plekanec is an incredible hockey player.

Tomas is consistently useful however, even when he isn't producing. He slowed down last season but after 22 minutes per game in all situations, playing with as much energy as he does, you are bound to run out of steam eventually. Not to mention his minor injury he suffered in the spring set him back a bit.

At the end of the day, he is still the very best player on our roster along with Price and a healthy Markov. His importance to the team can't be overstated. Plekanec is an incredible hockey player.

Thank you

If Tomas wears down in the second half of the season, it's because he's been the only guy consistently scoring and there hasn't been a legitimate second scoring line to take the heat off him. This coming season, we need more consistency in our top six, consistency that will allow Tomas to stay fresher down the stretch.

it's because he's been the only guy consistently scoring and there hasn't been a legitimate second scoring line to take the heat off him.

how sick is that.:angry:

Archived