The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#72 Erik Cole 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

#72 Erik Cole

8467396.jpg

QUOTE LIBRARY

“I don’t think it’s any secret that in the last couple of years Montreal has had a bit of a smaller average height than lot of teams in the league. While I’m not the biggest body on the ice, I play a hard-nosed game. I try to use my skating to help me be effective along the walls and I’m not scared to take the puck to the net and opening up ice for other guys. Any role I’m asked to play, I’m going to play it as hard as I can. Right now, I couldn’t be any happier or prouder or more thankful. I’m going to do everything I can to play as hard as I can and be as good a Montreal Canadien as I can be to make the organization and the fans proud to have me here.” - Erik Cole - canadiens.com July 1st 2011

I look forward to see what he can do, hopefully he will find success here unlike in Edmonton.

I know hes a "hab killer" but did he ever injure any of them long term? I can't for the life of me remember

Hab Killer in terms of he always scores against us...He has a knack for putting the puck in against us...

If Erik can have a good, solid, healthy season I think it'll bode extremely well for us. He's a great, big game player. He thrives in that kind of situation. A tenacious team player with defensive responsibility and superb puck protection. I really can't wait to see what he does here once he settles in and starts meshing with his teammates. Given that he played on the US national team with Gio and Gomez, I think that'll take less time than it might've otherwise. Such a fast skater. He could fit in very well with Plekky and Cammalleri, or work with Gio and Gomez for chemistry if the situation dictated. He's fearless going to the net, and that could work out really well with feeds from P.K. Obviously we'll have to wait and see what happens (can it be October yet? Please?), but for the moment I'm overjoyed to have him wear the CH.

I know he played 82 games last season, but does anyone know here if there are any problems lingering with the broken neck he suffered a few years ago?

If there are he hasn't shown it...He's had other injury issues though. Hopefully, he sticks to the same regiment that he had last off season because that seemed to have paid off.

If there are he hasn't shown it...He's had other injury issues though. Hopefully, he sticks to the same regiment that he had last off season because that seemed to have paid off.

He has a long list of injuries, as you say, doesn't seem like he's shown any signs of lingering affect. Which is kinda nice to hear, knowing Patches is coming back from a similar injury.

From all acounts, the Cole injury was worse than the Patches one. Yet, he was back after a few months. I doubt he would've come back that soon had it been the reg season. He really wanted that ring!

It should be a seamless start for Erik having played with Brian Gionta and Scott Gomez for Team USA in Turin Italy in the 2006 Olympics.Much nicer knowing that the team has passionate players of their ilk.

One time 5 years ago doesn't necessarily mean it will be seamless. We don't even know if he will be playing with Gomez and Gionta for sure.

It should be a seamless start for Erik having played with Brian Gionta and Scott Gomez for Team USA in Turin Italy in the 2006 Olympics.Much nicer knowing that the team has passionate players of their ilk.

One time 5 years ago doesn't necessarily mean it will be seamless. We don't even know if he will be playing with Gomez and Gionta for sure.

I thought he was signed to complete the first line with Plekanec and Cammalleri... but who knows what JM will decide. I like the fact that the Habs did acquire a player I believe will make the team better. The cost is a little higher than I would have liked, but that is the market according to some. It definitely can't hurt to have a player with what he has to offer. Hopefully he fits in with Jm's system and strategy.

Good Luck and welcome Mr. Cole :)

true story, the day before july 1st i was looking through the player list and i said to myself in a perfect world we pick up cole, but hes going to resign for sure, and even if not when do we ever get our man

the next day i log onto habsinsideout and just had a mini party. my girlfriend over here (im in korea teaching english) is from south africa so when she came over to me to see why im going nuts she didnt quite get it (to put it mildly...looking at me like im bonkers might be more accurate). erik cole and the montreal canadiens arent exactly household names in africa

anyway the price tag was high but what can you do. he is exactly what the doctor ordered

They played on the same team for the USA,players that are chosen for their passion and skills.By seamless I mean being accepted by the players on our team as a player that gives his all for the team and teammates.

Cole your enthusiasm to be here is plain

We hope you are going to be the main

Man to turn to when we need a goal

You should by now used to that role

We really hope things turn out right

We hope you never have to fight

Just take care when we play the bears

If you hurt them no one cares

Nice it will be to see you score

It the thing we need more and more

GO COLE GO :lol: :lol:

Overpriced, overaged, waste of Money.

Over the last 4 season if he even played all his games his prohected average was 22 goals a season as a player in his prime....Now that he is on the downside of his carreer we pay him almost 5 million a year ??? And this is all from a player who averaged over 2.42 minutes per game on the power play and more the 2 and half minutes of total icetime per game than the player below...And don't get to over joyed by his defensive game becuase its relly not much better than again the guy below.

We have a player who is just as solid, who when hits hits like a truck, has averaged better goals per game 23 over the last four season, has not even reached his prime years yet and the team would not lock him up for 4 years AK><....its no wonder this team is going backwards. We are becoming like the leafs of the nineties, forgetting our youth and buying up the old with overpriced contracts.

What will we do next season when AK out scores Cole by at least ten goals and we cannot afford to sign him because our money was spent on Cole...Gauthier has just set the tier for 20 gola scorers for the habs....4.5 million per year if you can score between 20 and 25 goals...

This is a joke......

Over the last 4 season if he even played all his games his prohected average was 22 goals a season as a player in his prime....Now that he is on the downside of his carreer we pay him almost 5 million a year ??? And this is all from a player who averaged over 2.42 minutes per game on the power play and more the 2 and half minutes of total icetime per game than the player below...And don't get to over joyed by his defensive game becuase its relly not much better than again the guy below.

We have a player who is just as solid, who when hits hits like a truck, has averaged better goals per game 23 over the last four season, has not even reached his prime years yet and the team would not lock him up for 4 years AK><....its no wonder this team is going backwards. We are becoming like the leafs of the nineties, forgetting our youth and buying up the old with overpriced contracts.

What will we do next season when AK out scores Cole by at least ten goals and we cannot afford to sign him because our money was spent on Cole...Gauthier has just set the tier for 20 gola scorers for the habs....4.5 million per year if you can score between 20 and 25 goals...

This is a joke......

If AK pots 30, for the first time in his career, playing on the third line and Cole pots 22 while playing on the first/second line then good. If Cole can do that while Gionta pots another 25 then that's even better. Gauthier hasn't set any bar or standard as you say. Cammalleri is making 6M a year for his 26 and 19 goals respectively, while Gionta is making 5M for his 28 and 29 goals. Andrei is making 3.25 for his 20 goals last, 15 the year before that and 23 in 08/09. If Cole goes out and gives us 20-30 goals this season, while opening things up for Cammalleri/Plekanec then he will be worth that 4.5 that he is making. Just because he's turning 33 doesn't mean there's going to be a big drop off in skill/production. I get that you don't like the signing but to assume that Kostitsyn is a bonafide 30 goal scorer when he hasn't hit the 30 goal plateau once is a bit much. You haven't seen Cole play for the Canadiens yet, don't be quick to judge. He played well last season, it's going to be interesting to see what he can do with a Plekanec and Cammalleri on his line. People are always quick to jump, last season it was Gauthier paying too much to Price. Well, that 2.5 Price got last season ended up being a steal.

Age is a concern, price is fair. In fact I'm not even sure how people say he's overpaid really, especially with the cap going up. He's on the "downside" of his career because of his age, last year he was as effective as he's ever been. As for his PP time, he's not good on the PP, flat out. He's a 5 on 5 producer, which is exactly what we needed anyway.

He averaged more ice time than Kostitsyn because he's a better all around player really. He played incredibly tough minutes if you look at his quality of opponent based stats. No one is over joyed about his defensive game, he's better than Kostitsyn. Either way though, Kostitsyn is a good player. They're different. Cole is a better forechecker, has a more consistent impact on games and Kostitsyn has a higher ceiling and more raw skills. As of right now we have both, 1 will play with Eller. I fail to see the big deal. Cole's 5 on 5 scoring is a big, big asset. Kostitsyn can play over him on the PP and play with Lars logging minutes against other team's lower lines which is a better fit for him. His consistency issues are less of a concern on a lower line.

Kostitsyn signed his contract after a similar season, in a smaller cap and as an RFA. His contract was probably closer to 4 with inflation and no one really was too concerned. This is a fine signing.

This is a joke......

He's a player who's different and you're just making blanket statements. Either way you seem to acknowledge the difference isn't great between the 2 players.

We have cap space next summer. I'm not sure why you assume AK will outscore a healthy Cole by 10 goals, pretty ballsy assumption. Either way, we paid Cole for his past season so if he outscores that by 10 goals then yes, he's a 35 goal guy and it will be tough to lock him up.

By the way, Gauthier didn't set that tier, it's the market, especially in a 64 million dollar cap. It's like some people don't really get how much the cap has gone up and they treat 4.5 today like 4.5 4 years ago. Kostitsyn got 3.25 as an RFA in a smaller cap. If he had a good year the bar would probably be in the 4's anyway as a UFA.

If AK pots 30, for the first time in his career, playing on the third line and Cole pots 22 while playing on the first/second line then good. If Cole can do that while Gionta pots another 25 then that's even better. Gauthier hasn't set any bar or standard as you say. Cammalleri is making 6M a year for his 26 and 19 goals respectively, while Gionta is making 5M for his 28 and 29 goals. Andrei is making 3.25 for his 20 goals last, 15 the year before that and 23 in 08/09. If Cole goes out and gives us 20-30 goals this season, while opening things up for Cammalleri/Plekanec then he will be worth that 4.5 that he is making. Just because he's turning 33 doesn't mean there's going to be a big drop off in skill/production. I get that you don't like the signing but to assume that Kostitsyn is a bonafide 30 goal scorer when he hasn't hit the 30 goal plateau once is a bit much. You haven't seen Cole play for the Canadiens yet, don't be quick to judge. He played well last season, it's going to be interesting to see what he can do with a Plekanec and Cammalleri on his line. People are always quick to jump, last season it was Gauthier paying too much to Price. Well, that 2.5 Price got last season ended up being a steal.

Some people just like to complain. If the organization didn't sign anyone people would be complaining the same way.

Erik Cole

8467396.jpg

Any role I'm asked to play, I'm going to play it as hard as I can. Right now, I couldn't be any happier or prouder or more thankful. I'm going to do everything I can to play as hard as I can and be as good a Montreal Canadien as I can be to make the organization and the fans proud to have me here." - Erik Cole - canadiens.com July 1st 2011

Gotta lov his attitude.;)

Age is a concern, price is fair. In fact I'm not even sure how people say he's overpaid really, especially with the cap going up. He's on the "downside" of his career because of his age, last year he was as effective as he's ever been. As for his PP time, he's not good on the PP, flat out. He's a 5 on 5 producer, which is exactly what we needed anyway.

5 on 5 producer eh... hmmmmmm... over the last 4 seasons he has averaged 1 goal per season more than AK at 5 on 5. Add to the fact AK was only 22.23.24.25 and Cole was 28.29.30.31....If this is an upgrade i fail to see it..

He averaged more ice time than Kostitsyn because he's a better all around player really.

Nah, don't buy that at all. he played more minutes Carolina because There best players played center, Stall and Skinner, name one winger on Carolina who plays the wing that is better than AK ( because that is who we are talking about)...If you swap Cole and Ak, AK gets those minutes in Carolina

He played incredibly tough minutes if you look at his quality of opponent based stats. No one is over joyed about his defensive game, he's better than Kostitsyn. How is is he better than Kostitsyn, A veteran player should be more sound defensively and I seen great strides in Ak game this past season....

Either way though, Kostitsyn is a good player. They're different. Cole is a better forechecker, has a more consistent impact on games and Kostitsyn has a higher ceiling and more raw skills. As of right now we have both, 1 will play with Eller. I fail to see the big deal. Cole's 5 on 5 scoring is a big, big asset. 5 on 5 producer eh... hmmmmmm... over the last 4 seasons he has averaged 1 goal per season more than AK at 5 on 5. Add to the fact AK was only 22.23.24.25 and Cole was 28.29.30.31....If this is an upgrade i fail to see it..[/

Kostitsyn can play over him on the PP and play with Lars logging minutes against other team's lower lines which is a better fit for him. His consistency issues are less of a concern on a lower line.

Kostitsyn signed his contract after a similar season, in a smaller cap and as an RFA. His contract was probably closer to 4 with inflation and no one really was too concerned. This is a fine signing.

He's a player who's different and you're just making blanket statements. Either way you seem to acknowledge the difference isn't great between the 2 players.

We have cap space next summer. {this is just crazy, we also have price and Subban next season price will be looking at 6 million if he has a similiar season to this, and if Subban grows as much as he did this past season he will likley be coming in at the same based on what they just paid for Cole } I'm not sure why you assume AK will outscore a healthy Cole by 10 goals, pretty ballsy assumption. Either way, we paid Cole for his past season so if he outscores that by 10 goals then yes, he's a 35 goal guy and it will be tough to lock him up. { Exactly, he will be hard to lock up evan now he is at the level of cole add to the fact he has not even played in his prime years yet they could of locked him up now for 3.75 to 4 for 4 years, instead they will lose a 27 year old scoring 30 goals, while were stuck with a 33 year old scoring 20 goals, then when we drain our young talent over the next 3 or four years because we have overpaid for veterans players passing there prime....we can lament how short sighted most people are about this signing.}

By the way, Gauthier didn't set that tier, it's the market, especially in a 64 million dollar cap. It's like some people don't really get how much the cap has gone up and they treat 4.5 today like 4.5 4 years ago. Kostitsyn got 3.25 as an RFA in a smaller cap. If he had a good year the bar would probably be in the 4's anyway as a UFA.

He got 3.25 because Gauthier will leave him walk next season and it was just a backup plan if he could not sign anyone else, AK will be gone next season and we will have erik cole, yippie.

Some people just like to complain. If the organization didn't sign anyone people would be complaining the same way.

{I am not sure what you are insuating here, just because its a different oppinion than yours truly doesn't make it wrong}

This is a joke......

Um, we're paying Gio 1/2 a mil more to score a few more goals a season. This is free agency, you're going to over-pay, had we not given him that type of money another team would have (or close to it). Remember, hockey players don't have any tax exemptions here in Quebec. Which is why we have to offer a lil more than most clubs.

Dallas I believe, has the same issue as Quebec when it comes to taxes. Could be why Ryder got so much to sign there.

Just look at the situation, Cammy scored 19 goals last season and made 5 mil, next season it jumps up to 6 mil/season and the following years up to 7 mil. So if Cole can net us between 20-30 goals a season for 4.5 mil, then I'll be happy. I'm not even going to bring up Gomez.

The price is fair considering what we're paying our other top line players. My concern is his health and the length of the contract. He plays a very physical game and most players who play that style, tend to retire early(or slow down significantly in their mid 30's). Sopel is at the end of his career, yet he's only 34, while Lindstrom at 40/41 is still going strong.

Concerning AK, although I was really happy with him rounding out his game, his #'s have been going down since his (so called) break out season(07-08?). I was happy we resigned him, but I've made peace with the fact that he'll never be the offensive threat I thought he could be.

Cole is much more dangerous on the ice and the rest of league knows it. Just having him on a line with Pleks and Cammy could open up a lot of ice for Cammy, much more than AK did. So if cole only scores 22 goals and Cammy's goals rise significantly (30+), then it's money well spent imo.

When you look at some of the signings since July 1st, I'd much rather have Cole than some of the other players who were signed... Specially Ryder.

I even considered Cole a few years back when Edmonton picked him up.

I can't believe some people are complaining about this. Even if he only plays 60 games for us, you can pretty much count on him netting 20 goals. Rather have Cole at 4.5 than Kovy at 10 mil. The Kovy signing killed NJ for years to come, they couldn't even ice a full roster last season until players got injured and salaries were taken off the books. And seriously, what did he do last season?

Apart from a few concerns(which I have with every player), I'm good with the signing.

Gotta lov his attitude.;)

Don't know if that's his true attitude or not. Anyone going to the same team will say statements regarding their new team...

Especially here where if he said ANYTHING off he'd be eaten alive.... I'll leave the attitude check until game 10.

Thats great we get one season with both of them. If the tables were turned and Cole was here for one year and AK was here for 4 I would be happy, but in a cap world you want to protect your younger players who at 7 years younger are already as good......

Price was was 22 not 32, 2.5 million 4.5 million, hardly a valid argument... when it means your going to lose a 27 year old for 1 million less than a 33 year old with basically the same game...I don't know where the steal is.

What will be interesting to see is if Cole starts on Gomez' line or Pleks' line.

I am almost not wanting to see Gomez traded this year (if that is indeed a plan) just to see how he might rebound with a guy like Cole or Patches on his wing all year.

One has to believe that if Gomez, who is albeit, 3 inches shorter than cole, but only about 5-10lbs lighter - will get ANY motivation to return to the fireball hockey he played with Jersey his first 6 years in the league. I've got to think that with Cole on one side and Gionta on the other flying around with reckless abandon at least something will rub off on gomez...no? :)

This is a joke......

Caperns, you and I have had some good debates over the years and I value your opinion but dont agree with any of this post, which is what is so great about having a message board where we can share our opinions.

That said, a few points: I dont think that many would argue he wasnt overpaid. However, as we have seen over and over again on July 1, if you want a player you probably are going to have to pay beyond actual 'worth' to get him. Cole probably should have gotten a 2 or 3 year contract in the range of $3.5 - 4m. And frankly, if there werent other teams after him, he might have settled for that. However, Gauthier knew that there was virtually no one available who could fit the bill like cole, and as such, he threw out a contract offer that would be difficult to refuse and/or match. It was a calculated move. Did we end up overpaying by a few million over the balance of the contract? Absolutely. Are we going to regret year 4? maybe, tough to say. But Erik Cole, if he pans out, makes this team WAY better - especially with the bonus of Patches coming back AND allowing Eller (providing he's centering the 3rd line) the opportunity at a great young winger in AK.

Your points about Cole are valid & certainly your numbers are fact - not up for debate - however, its always tough to know how a player will do on another team. Montreal presents a lower top end talent at centre (Staal) but a more balanced top 6 and as such, we could very well see Cole have one of his best seasons ever with checking responsibility from the other team spread around.

Time will tell if this deal is good, bad or ugly, but for now we'll have to agree to disagree. I think the move was a very strong one by Pierre. He saw our need & wasnt afraid to take a risk on it, overpaying to ensure we got our man. This was not a blind "glen-sather-ish" throw money at a high profile plaer, this was a calculated risk to make our team better & I think it has/will.

I am still concerned about defense & am happy to hear that Gauthier is still planning on getting stronger at that position.

Archived