The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#30 Peter Budaj 2011-2012

ColRouleBleu

#30 Peter Budaj

8469514.jpg

QUOTE LIBRARY

"I will always have a special connection to Colorado, but this is an excellent opportunity and good challenge for me. In Montreal, hockey is always No. 1. There is no other city that gets more fired up about hockey than Montreal." - Peter Budaj - canadiens.com July 1st 2011

good pickup. he went long stretches being the avs number 1. his numbers are much better when his load is reduced so hes obviously not really number 1 material but the experience is a good thing. i think he was a pretty good choice for a backup

Though I still do not see the huge deal here,other than Auld mostly likely was unhappy with limited playing time...I will now welcome Peter to the team,as others say,he must already have come to terms knowing & willing to play in a limited back up role.....but then again I ask myself,will Carey play the same amount of games again as last season?

Good luck next season Budaj.

Though I still do not see the huge deal here,other than Auld mostly likely was unhappy with limited playing time...I will now welcome Peter to the team,as others say,he must already have come to terms knowing & willing to play in a limited back up role.....but then again I ask myself,will Carey play the same amount of games again as last season?

Good luck next season Budaj.

Let us hope my friend that Carey's load is lessened with the foresight of a long playoff run,one in which our backup may be able to win a game or two while resting Mr.Price.The knowledge of having Peter in place to relieve Carey in case of flu or those types of illness,should alleviate the stress on the team over a long season.

Budgie we don't now how often you will play

But you will be learning more day by day

Playing backup to a star like Price

May not always be very nice

But you will an opportunity get

To play for the HABS in the net

You know what pressure this has to be

Can you handle it we'll wait and see

GO BUDGIE GO :D :D

He's a winner , lets give him that. Even during a losing season and bad year statistically Peter collected 15 wins with the Avalanche. This could be a very hot goaltending duo, one of the best in the league now that Carey has had the experience of being a full time full scheduled number 1 goalie and Peter no longer has to hold the weight of a number 1 starting job. Whenever Carey is looking fatigued at the end of a hopefully positive run, this guy can come in and compete just as well.

He's a winner , lets give him that. Even during a losing season and bad year statistically Peter collected 15 wins with the Avalanche. This could be a very hot goaltending duo, one of the best in the league now that Carey has had the experience of being a full time full scheduled number 1 goalie and Peter no longer has to hold the weight of a number 1 starting job. Whenever Carey is looking fatigued at the end of a hopefully positive run, this guy can come in and compete just as well.

Even Budaj admitted to posting some of his worst numbers last season. He is what he is, a backup. I didn't like the signing when I first heard about it. Nothing against Budaj, it was the fact that we were paying more than we payed Auld, who all things considered, did an excellent job last season (only lost 2 games).

If we're actually going to use him, I have no objections. But paying a player over 1 mil/season, to ride the pine and only play approximately 10 games, that I have an issue.

But I feel Jm played carey so much last season to build up his confidence. So if Budaj plays a good amount of games, then it should be money well spent.

Even Budaj admitted to posting some of his worst numbers last season. He is what he is, a backup. I didn't like the signing when I first heard about it. Nothing against Budaj, it was the fact that we were paying more than we payed Auld, who all things considered, did an excellent job last season (only lost 2 games).

To be fair though, Budaj only gets minimally more than we gave Auld(even more minimal when you factor inflation with the cap going up) and Auld and Budaj were/are actually coming off very similar seasons. The year before we signed Auld he played 24 games and had an .895 SV%, which is what Budaj had last season.

Colorado has been awful defensively for a while so his SV% is on the low side of what you can expect in Montreal (provided he plays enough of a sample to make it worthwhile).

I feel the same way about this signing as I did about the Auld signing, meh. I know people liked Auld and to an extent I did too, good guy but I could care less about his stats in his 12 starts against cherry picked opponents. Every time I watched him I was thoroughly unimpressed. His rebound control and position were sub par and over the long run it's hard to hide from those kinds of things (hence his career). As for Budaj, I just don't really know a ton about his game. He's not overly good, that's for sure but they may see something projectable about his game.

If we're actually going to use him, I have no objections. But paying a player over 1 mil/season, to ride the pine and only play approximately 10 games, that I have an issue.

I agree to an extent, FS. The one thing Id add is that we probably shouldnt expect Carey to play 71 games a year. He will most likely have an injury or 2 every now and again and from an insurance standpoint I guess its debatable as to which of those guys (Budaj or Auld) could handle 20 or 30 games if necessary.

Imho this would be one of the hardest positions to sign for our GM because you need a guy who is ok with playing only a handful of games if Carey is good to go - but one who could also step in and play strong if Carey is hurt or slumping. That would be very difficult to sell to a goalie imho. Hopefully they made the right choice.

As for Budaj, I just don't really know a ton about his game. He's not overly good, that's for sure but they may see something projectable about his game.

This is the real question for me too. Its odd to me that we signed him so early into free agency. I am guessing that Pierre Groulx had something to say about Budaj and asked Gauthier to sign him. It will be very interesting to see if they can build him into a better goalie than he has been so far in his NHL career, or if they simply signed him for more of the same.

I agree to an extent, FS. The one thing Id add is that we probably shouldnt expect Carey to play 71 games a year. He will most likely have an injury or 2 every now and again and from an insurance standpoint I guess its debatable as to which of those guys (Budaj or Auld) could handle 20 or 30 games if necessary.

Imho this would be one of the hardest positions to sign for our GM because you need a guy who is ok with playing only a handful of games if Carey is good to go - but one who could also step in and play strong if Carey is hurt or slumping. That would be very difficult to sell to a goalie imho. Hopefully they made the right choice.

the goalie choices this year were very slim, in fact the only guy left is turco if im not mistaken ( i was just on habsinsideout...)

budaj didnt need to be told hes not going to play a whole lot, obviously carey is our guy, so im guessing the logic is that budaj can handle a bigger load than auld and as has been mentioned be a better insurance policy against injury or slump. i think it was a very good signing, especially if the market was very slim

This is the real question for me too. Its odd to me that we signed him so early into free agency. I am guessing that Pierre Groulx had something to say about Budaj and asked Gauthier to sign him. It will be very interesting to see if they can build him into a better goalie than he has been so far in his NHL career, or if they simply signed him for more of the same.

That's the crap-shoot with backups. You have those like Kevin Weekes and Sanford (think that's his name-the goalie we had playing in Hamilton), who do well playing the odd game, but in case of an injury where they're expected to play a lil more regularly, they struggle.

I think that may the case with Budaj, hopefully Price stays healthy. Halak was the opposite... When playing the odd game he looked shaky, but give him several games in a row and his confidence grew.

He's a good goalie.

Let's face it, Colorado has had some defense problems the last few years, maybe Erik Johnson will help them a-bit in that area, but he was not there the majority of the time Peter started.

My opinion of Budaj goes way beyond last season... Colorado brought in Anderson 2 seasons ago cos of Budaj's struggles. When Colorado first acquired Budaj, they were hoping they had finally found their #1. They have struggled to find a #1 since the retirement of Roy.

I don't really follow the Avs, not like the habs. But I do like to read the sports section with my morning coffee. One thing that I did pick up on throughout the years, is that Budaj hasn't lived up to expectations in Colorado, not as a starter. As a backup, my feeling is he's no better or worse than all the other 29 backups. Typical backup, can give you the odd strong game and surprise win.

Let's face it, if a backup (real backup, not a rookie gathering experience) wins on a regular basis, then he becomes a number 1 on his present team or catches the eye of a GM looking for a solid starter. Kinda like what happened with Anderson, he had a few good seasons in Florida, so Avs GM signed him when he hit free agency. Usually if a tender has been in the league approximately 5+ seasons and is playing a backup role, he is just that, a backup.

Toskala looked like a solid backup in SJ, leafs took a chance on him and look how that turned out for them. :lol:

Gawd I miss those days.

We also know from all the flyers goalie experiments, that taking a career backup and putting him into a starters role, hardly ever works out. Unless it's a case of like what happened in Minnesota with Backstrom and Roloson or Montreal last season. Where they had 2 starters sharing duties.

That's the crap-shoot with backups. You have those like Kevin Weekes and Sanford (think that's his name-the goalie we had playing in Hamilton), who do well playing the odd game, but in case of an injury where they're expected to play a lil more regularly, they struggle.

I think that may the case with Budaj, hopefully Price stays healthy. Halak was the opposite... When playing the odd game he looked shaky, but give him several games in a row and his confidence grew.

My opinion of Budaj goes way beyond last season... Colorado brought in Anderson 2 seasons ago cos of Budaj's struggles. When Colorado first acquired Budaj, they were hoping they had finally found their #1. They have struggled to find a #1 since the retirement of Roy.

I don't really follow the Avs, not like the habs. But I do like to read the sports section with my morning coffee. One thing that I did pick up on throughout the years, is that Budaj hasn't lived up to expectations in Colorado, not as a starter. As a backup, my feeling is he's no better or worse than all the other 29 backups. Typical backup, can give you the odd strong game and surprise win.

Let's face it, if a backup (real backup, not a rookie gathering experience) wins on a regular basis, then he becomes a number 1 on his present team or catches the eye of a GM looking for a solid starter. Kinda like what happened with Anderson, he had a few good seasons in Florida, so Avs GM signed him when he hit free agency. Usually if a tender has been in the league approximately 5+ seasons and is playing a backup role, he is just that, a backup.

Toskala looked like a solid backup in SJ, leafs took a chance on him and look how that turned out for them. :lol:

Gawd I miss those days.

We also know from all the flyers goalie experiments, that taking a career backup and putting him into a starters role, hardly ever works out. Unless it's a case of like what happened in Minnesota with Backstrom and Roloson or Montreal last season. Where they had 2 starters sharing duties.

I think your right. Anderson is a good goalie, but I think he needs a fairly limited work load. But like how others said Colorado has no full time goalie coach. So maybe with Groulx, Budaj will become more consistent in his role, and fix some of his mistakes. As could Anderson but thats OT.

Welcome to the team #30.

Going to assume you read this somewhere so i'll trust you HRF and add it to the opening post.

If your wrong,,,,,,to the alley you go. :P

Welcome to the team #30.

Good number choice imo.

Peter Budaj will wear the sainted jersey number immortalized by Chris Nilan … not to mention Mathieu Garon and, uh-oh, David Aebischer.

But two great Canadiens goaltenders, Gump Worsley and Rogie Vachon, wore number 30.

Peter Budaj will wear the sainted jersey number immortalized by Chris Nilan … not to mention Mathieu Garon and, uh-oh, David Aebischer.

But two great Canadiens goaltenders, Gump Worsley and Rogie Vachon, wore number 30.

Did you come up with that all by yourself ;)

Archived