The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Assistant Coaching Staff 2011-2012

BigTed3

Assistant Coaching Staff

Pierre%20Groulx.jpg

Pierre Groulx, the Canadiens' goaltending coach, is entering his third season with the team. He has previously worked as a goaltending and video coach in Florida with head coach Jacques Martin and as a video coach in Ottawa.

cunneyworth_ladouceur.jpg

Randy Cunneyworth was named an assistant coach with the Canadiens on July 22nd, 2011. In his first season as head coach with the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs in 2010-11, Randy Cunneyworthled the Bulldogs to the North Division championship with a 44-27-2-7 record for 97 points. Furthermore, the Bulldogs reached the Western Conference Finals where they were defeated in seven games (3-4) by the Houston Aeros.

Before joining the Bulldogs, Cunneyworth was an assistant coach with the National Hockey League’s Atlanta Thrashers for two seasons (2008-09 and 2009-10). He previously spent nine seasons with the American Hockey League’s Rochester Americans, including seven seasons as head coach from 2000 to 2008. During his tenure with the Americans, he led his team to three 40-plus win seasons, two 100-point seasons and six playoff berths. He left Rochester as the longest serving coach in franchise history and ranks second on the club’s all-time wins list.

During the 2004-2005 season, Cunneyworth led the Americans to a 51-19-4-6 record (112 points), en route to the Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy as the league’s top team in the regular season standings. That season, Cunneyworth would earn the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Trophy as the AHL’s Coach of the Year. He also reached the AHL’s Calder Cup Finals with Rochester as a player/assistant coach in 1999-2000, earning the Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award that same season (sportsmanship, determination and dedication to hockey).

Randy Ladouceur was also promoted to the role of assistant coach with the Canadiens on July 22nd, 2011. He is returning to the NHL, where he served for ten seasons as an assistant coach between 1996 and 2008.

Ladouceur began his coaching career as an assistant with the Hartford Whalers in 1996-97. The franchise then moved to Carolina, where he served for seven seasons as an assistant coach with the Hurricanes (1997 to 2004). Following a full season as head coach of the Oshawa Generals of the Ontario Hockey League in 2005-06, he joined the Toronto Maple Leafs coaching staff as an assistant for two seasons (2006-07 and 2007-08). Before joining the Bulldogs, he was assistant coach with the OHL’s Niagara IceDogs (2009-10).

Wouldn't be objected to have Cunneyworth.

I also wouldn't object to an old player coming in. Anyone, Brisebois, Lemieux, Carbonneau

Yes even Carbonneau I would welcome.

If it's not someone from Hamilton, I wouldn't be surprised to see JM go after a guy he's known from either Ottawa or Florida. Peter DeBoer is another name that's been floating around.

The 2 people Id like to see considered would be:

Guy Carbonneau: He obviously wasn't ready to be a head coach, but he does have experience as one. Would be good to counter JM's lack of emotion, knows what it takes to be a leader, winner, and playoff competitor in Montreal. Has Stanley Cup winning experience, good 2 way player, speaks French & English, and can deal with the Montreal media.

Patrick Roy: Dark horse candidate, stanley cup experience, knows what it takes to win in Montreal. Speaks French and English, can deal with pressure. He has coaching experience, and has expressed interest in coaching at NHL level. Has great focus and desire on winning.

With that said, I have a feeling that it will likely be Cunneyworth or someone outside the organization, but then with the void in Hamilton I would consider Carbonneau or Roy.

Cunneyworth-285x280.jpg

Welcome to the big league boys.

Always nice for the prospects when the farm team coaches move up to the big show.

this

Does Randy show alot of emotion?

and why do you ask???

ooooooooooooooo-1.jpg

:lol:

Does Randy show alot of emotion?

Depends on what you call a lot. The TSN article shows him having it out with a Ref.I've seen him get a little animated behind the Dog's bench, but never overboard ( the few times i've been to a game). It's not usually the assistants job to interact with the Refs though.

Ladouceur said in a phone conversation from his cottage near Brockville that he would be working with the defence - including extra tutoring before and after practice - and that will be a key area with newcomers Alexei Yemelin and Raphael Diaz joining youngsters Weber and P.K. Subban. The Canadiens haven't had an assistant coach who played defence in the NHL since Rick Green was let go after the 2005-06 season. Ladouceur played 931 NHL games over 14 seasons and has been an NHL assistant coach for 10 seasons.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Habs+sign+Gorges+coaches/5148305/story.html#ixzz1SwkAiO8I

I'm happy that Ladouceur is an ex-defenseman.

Ladouceur said in a phone conversation from his cottage near Brockville that he would be working with the defence - including extra tutoring before and after practice - and that will be a key area with newcomers Alexei Yemelin and Raphael Diaz joining youngsters Weber and P.K. Subban. The Canadiens haven't had an assistant coach who played defence in the NHL since Rick Green was let go after the 2005-06 season. Ladouceur played 931 NHL games over 14 seasons and has been an NHL assistant coach for 10 seasons.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Habs+sign+Gorges+coaches/5148305/story.html#ixzz1SwkAiO8I

I'm happy that Ladouceur is an ex-defenseman.

Me too, I look forward to seeing how he helps Yemelin, Diaz, Weber and Subban in their developmen

Guest archey

i have great hopes here up to and including that it'll be a lot more dare i say fun? for everyone including the coach on a week by week basis.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If JM doesn't run the power plays the randys better explain that 8% to all of us.

Am I the only that sees these obvious units?

Pp1:

Cole - plekanec - kostitsyn

Diaz - Weber

Pp2:

Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta

Subban - Emelin

Get Plekanec off the freaking point!!! This is my first warning to the Randys. The next post will be an all out assault.

Archived