The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Which Prospects Will Make The 2011-2012 Team?

AK-1

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Prospects Will Make The 2011-2012 Team?

• Aaron Palushaj
    • Alexander Avtsin
    • Alexei Yemelin
    • Andreas Engqvist
    • Brock Trotter
    • Louis Leblanc
    • Raphael Diaz

Question is simple, which prospects do you think will make the team, and will be on the 23 man roster when the season begins in Toronto? Players that were on the club for the final stretch of the season, such as Ryan White, Yannick Weber and David Desharnais, were not included in this poll.

Personally, considering Eller's injury and the fact that the Habs have not signed a Jeff Halpern replacement, leads me to believe that Engqvist could very well have a strong shot at making the team. From what I've heard, Engqvist was dominant defensively in the AHL.

Yemelin should also make the team, based on his natural abilities and on his contract.

1- Andreas Engvist

2- Alexei Yemelin

----

With Palushaj and Diaz being the 1st forward and defenseman called up respectively.

Question is simple, which prospects do you think will make the team, and will be on the 23 man roster when the season begins in Toronto? Players that were on the club for the final stretch of the season, such as Ryan White, Yannick Weber and David Desharnais, were not included in this poll.

Personally, considering Eller's injury and the fact that the Habs have not signed a Jeff Halpern replacement, leads me to believe that Engqvist could very well have a strong shot at making the team. From what I've heard, Engqvist was dominant defensively in the AHL.

Yemelin should also make the team, based on his natural abilities and on his contract.

1- Andreas Engvist

2- Alexei Yemelin

----

With Palushaj and Diaz being the 1st forward and defenseman called up respectively.

I agree with you here AK. But I believe this is the 2011-2012 season ;)

Is Trotter a center?

He is listed as a center, but I think he played left wing when he was with the Bulldogs. And IIRC, he was also left wing for Denver University.

However, in the KHL last year, I cannot say.

As it stands right now, I think Emelin is a virtual lock to make the team, if only because I believe this is a one-shot deal for him to stay in the Habs organization. If the Habs don't think he's ready, he'll go back to Russia and I don't see him taking a second chance with us. Enqvist has the best chances of the rest, for reasons already mentioned. He is the only center in Hamilton justifiably ready to make the jump to the NHL.

As for the others, it will mainly depend on what else PG does between now and the start of the season and how each performs at camp. With Eller out, there will be one spot for a 13th forward open and one for either another D man or a forward (depending on where Weber starts). I think Diaz has decent odds of cracking the roster right now, if only because PG and JM both seem quite high on him. I believe he'll play the role Alex Picard played last year. Palushaj and Trotter will have the inside edge on the battle for a potential last spot, but we could also see a surprise if the Habs decide to go with a bigger body like Blunden or Conboy, and Willsie will also get a look I'm sure. Leblanc is still recovering from injury and won't make a serious push for the roster this year anyways, so he could and should almost be removed from that list. I'd prefer to see him spend some time in Hamilton first.

As it stands right now, I think Emelin is a virtual lock to make the team, if only because I believe this is a one-shot deal for him to stay in the Habs organization. If the Habs don't think he's ready, he'll go back to Russia and I don't see him taking a second chance with us. Enqvist has the best chances of the rest, for reasons already mentioned. He is the only center in Hamilton justifiably ready to make the jump to the NHL.

As for the others, it will mainly depend on what else PG does between now and the start of the season and how each performs at camp. With Eller out, there will be one spot for a 13th forward open and one for either another D man or a forward (depending on where Weber starts). I think Diaz has decent odds of cracking the roster right now, if only because PG and JM both seem quite high on him. I believe he'll play the role Alex Picard played last year. Palushaj and Trotter will have the inside edge on the battle for a potential last spot, but we could also see a surprise if the Habs decide to go with a bigger body like Blunden or Conboy, and Willsie will also get a look I'm sure. Leblanc is still recovering from injury and won't make a serious push for the roster this year anyways, so he could and should almost be removed from that list. I'd prefer to see him spend some time in Hamilton first.

I have to agree with you on Leblanc. I'm worried he may get rushed into the NHL, I want to take our time developing him into the best player possible.

I think PG will sign another D or forward before training camp begins. Therefore I think that only Yemelin will make the team out of training camp. I think that there will be three or four good players in Hamilton ready to make the jump when someone gets injuried or traded.

I think PG will sign another D or forward before training camp begins. Therefore I think that only Yemelin will make the team out of training camp. I think that there will be three or four good players in Hamilton ready to make the jump when someone gets injuried or traded.

I think so too, but I'm not expecting any big names... Probably an experience grinder and/or shut down dman.

Like Ted mentioned, I think Leblanc could benefit from time in the AHL. I work down the street from the Verdun Auditorium, what I gathered from the one game I saw and from what one of our neighbors said (he saw pretty much every Jr's home game), Louis was good, very fun player to watch, but isn't yet ready for the big jump.

We all know what happened when the Habs rushed Gui into the NHL. Rushing young talent into the league only sends the message that the kid is ready. I know it's been a very long time since we've had a local kid "wow" the fans. But I don't believe Leblanc is there yet, once he starts having his growing pains (which is completely normal), the fans will start grumbling.

Learn from Price, Patches, Gui and Subban. Both Price and Gui were rushed and the fans were hard on them. Patches had a good pre-season, but was disappointing in the reg season. After spending some time in Hamilton, he looked like a completely different player his 2nd time around. Subban imo really benefited from his time in Hamilton. I remember Subban being pretty vocal about their decision to send him down, imo it only made him better and more determined to make it the next time around.

Let Leblanc do the same thing in Hamilton, if he plays like Patches and Subban did in their first AHL seasons. Even if Louis takes a lil longer, at least it'll happen in Hamilton, not in Montreal where the fans aren't as patient or forgiving. Because Louis is a local boy, the pressure on him to perform out of the gate, will be stronger than it was for Patches. If he's going to have growing pains, let him have it in Hamilton where he's just another player, not a local boy-Like he would be in Montreal.

Yemelin as it seems if he doesn't we'll never see him again. I'm hoping he makes it and plays well enough to stay.

With Eller's injury, either Engvist or Trotter will probably see time on the Habs.

Yemelin, IMO, is on the team. I don't think we went through the trouble of signing him to a one-year entry level contract and bringing him over to send him to Hamilton (AKA, back to Russia). Also, it seems like we need him. Who else is going to play D? :lol: As far as the possibility of Enqvist making the team, I will wait and see how Eller progresses from shoulder surgery before considering him a shoe-in to start the season with the Habs.

Yemelin, IMO, is on the team. I don't think we went through the trouble of signing him to a one-year entry level contract and bringing him over to send him to Hamilton (AKA, back to Russia). Also, it seems like we need him. Who else is going to play D? :lol: As far as the possibility of Enqvist making the team, I will wait and see how Eller progresses from shoulder surgery before considering him a shoe-in to start the season with the Habs.

Agreed, I believe Eller is now ahead of schedule and could be fully healed by the PReseason.

My mistake it might have been the season opener

However, Eller told Denmark's Sporten.dk on Monday that his recovery from surgery on his right shoulder is ahead of schedule, and that he hopes to be ready for the season opener Oct. 6 in Toronto (big tip of the hat to the blog Your Canadiens for finding the link).

from http://montreal.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110720/mtl_habshub_habit_110719/20110720/?hub=MontrealSports

My take on these:

Aaron Palushaj; will probably start in Hamilton and be called up upon injuries.

Alexander Avtsin; same. It was already a feat for him playing in the AHL at 19 years old last year. This year he will mature and we'll see what he's got. Not too sure how long we should keep him down there, it will depend on results and his progression I guess. Usually bigger forward start having an impact in the NHL near the 22-23 years old mark. He's still far from there but he might want to go back to Russia at some point if there are no openings.

Alexei Yemelin; definitely a starter this year. A full time defencemen in the KHL that plays on the national team can at least make the NHL as a 6th d-man IMO.

Andreas Engqvist; I hope he's going to make the team. He's got size, go around the net and is good defensively. If he's good on faceoff too we could have a very good asset for bottom 6.

Brock Trotter; Probably like Palushaj a good call up. The concern is always how many smallish players we can play at once. If there is an injury on the top 6 he will have a call.

Louis Leblanc; hm I'd prefer for him to stay in Hamilton a year maybe nearing the two years mark. We don't need to have another Latendresse that just fill a jersey cause he can speak French while he learns. I'd rather have him ready to fill in on the top 9 (preferably top 6) when we call him up.

Raphael Diaz; intriguing player. He's got better stats than Streit and is younger than when the latter came in America. Probably a good replacement during the year as well. The Carle trade opened him a spot up.

------------------

I'd also watch Conboy and Stejskal this year for call up. Conboy has had a decent progression stats wise. Could be a good addition on 4th line if the occasion arise. He also has a very interesting frame, he and Engqvist would make our 4th line look so much bigger. Palushaj and Trotter could help on the offensive lines but Conboy could help on the defensive one.

As for Stejskal, he just finished his NCAA cycle and seams to have adjust well to the AHL playoffs, at least on paper. Apparently he's a good size defensive defencemen with a good shot. He could get called up this year if only to have a 2-3 games preview for what is to come the year after for him (like Desharnais, White, Weber and Trotter in 09-10 or Engqvist and Carle in 10-11).

Maybe Nash will also have another shot.

My take on these:

Aaron Palushaj; will probably start in Hamilton and be called up upon injuries.

Alexander Avtsin; same. It was already a feat for him playing in the AHL at 19 years old last year. This year he will mature and we'll see what he's got. Not too sure how long we should keep him down there, it will depend on results and his progression I guess. Usually bigger forward start having an impact in the NHL near the 22-23 years old mark. He's still far from there but he might want to go back to Russia at some point if there are no openings.

Alexei Yemelin; definitely a starter this year. A full time defencemen in the KHL that plays on the national team can at least make the NHL as a 6th d-man IMO.

Andreas Engqvist; I hope he's going to make the team. He's got size, go around the net and is good defensively. If he's good on faceoff too we could have a very good asset for bottom 6.

Brock Trotter; Probably like Palushaj a good call up. The concern is always how many smallish players we can play at once. If there is an injury on the top 6 he will have a call.

Louis Leblanc; hm I'd prefer for him to stay in Hamilton a year maybe nearing the two years mark. We don't need to have another Latendresse that just fill a jersey cause he can speak French while he learns. I'd rather have him ready to fill in on the top 9 (preferably top 6) when we call him up.

Raphael Diaz; intriguing player. He's got better stats than Streit and is younger than when the latter came in America. Probably a good replacement during the year as well. The Carle trade opened him a spot up.

------------------

I'd also watch Conboy and Stejskal this year for call up. Conboy has had a decent progression stats wise. Could be a good addition on 4th line if the occasion arise. He also has a very interesting frame, he and Engqvist would make our 4th line look so much bigger. Palushaj and Trotter could help on the offensive lines but Conboy could help on the defensive one.

As for Stejskal, he just finished his NCAA cycle and seams to have adjust well to the AHL playoffs, at least on paper. Apparently he's a good size defensive defencemen with a good shot. He could get called up this year if only to have a 2-3 games preview for what is to come the year after for him (like Desharnais, White, Weber and Trotter in 09-10 or Engqvist and Carle in 10-11).

Maybe Nash will also have another shot.

Palushaj - should make it right away.

Trotter - who knows since we haven't seen him lately - I suspect since they brought him back he will see the NHL sooner rather than later.

Avtsin - is nowhere near ready - a healthy scratch in the AHL

Engqvist - should be in the NHL at some point, inconsistent but has the ability

Leblanc - please G-- don't do a Price or Latendresse on him - let him mature at least one season in the A

Yemelin - don't really know him but the game is more than just on ice - needs to adapt to N America - at least some time in Hamilton

Nash - probably promoted at some point

St Denis - also probably a good call up at some point

Diaz - got to see him first - probably same as Leblanc

Fortier - need to see how he recovers from injury, probably one more season in AHL but he might be one of our best prospects (barring Leblanc) at the moment.

Conboy - could be called up as a role player

Dumont - also shows some promise, again, maybe mid season.

White - probably in Montreal

Palushaj - should make it right away.

Trotter - who knows since we haven't seen him lately - I suspect since they brought him back he will see the NHL sooner rather than later.

Avtsin - is nowhere near ready - a healthy scratch in the AHL

Engqvist - should be in the NHL at some point, inconsistent but has the ability

Leblanc - please G-- don't do a Price or Latendresse on him - let him mature at least one season in the A

Yemelin - don't really know him but the game is more than just on ice - needs to adapt to N America - at least some time in Hamilton

Nash - probably promoted at some point

St Denis - also probably a good call up at some point

I agree with you.

Leblanc, I said the same thing in this thread or another thread. Being a local boy, the pressure on him to succeed out of the gate will be high. Let the kid mature in Hamilton, where he'll be just another player.

Yemelin imo if he doesn't start the season with the Habs, he'll be there when the season ends. We have Spacek who's getting old and has his share of injuries. Then we have 2 coming back from season ending injuries (Josh and Andrei), there will be ample opportunity for him to crack the lineup if it isn't out of the gate.

Apart from Yemelin, the one's who are NHL ready joined the Habs last season. WE may have a few pleasant surprises like DD, but see anyone who will be there on opening day.

Archived