The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012 World Junior Hockey Championship.

2012 World Junior Hockey Championship.

can_70726.jpg

PLAYERS SET TO ARRIVE FOR WJHC DEVELOPMENT CAMP...The Journey Begins

After two years of heartbreak, Canada's top WJHC prospects gather in Edmonton looking for redemption.

Forty-seven of the country's top young players arrive in Edmonton on Tuesday for the start of development camp in preparation for the 2012 World Junior Hockey Championship.

The camp officially begins on Wednesday and Edmonton and Fort McMurray, AB and runs through Sunday. You can catch full coverage all week long on SportsCentre, That's Hockey and on TSN.ca.

The Summer Development Camp is the first step in identifying players for Canada's National Junior Team for the 2012 IIHF World Junior Championship, which begins on Boxing Day in Calgary and Edmonton.

While there are no cuts to be made at this camp as there will be four months from now, Hockey Canada's brass - led by head scout Kevin Prendergast - will monitor the players and other potential candidates before inviting a group of players to the final selection camp in December.

From that selection camp, 22 players will be named to the final roster just prior to the tournament.

The development camp roster consists of four goaltenders, 17 defencemen and 26 forwards. Twenty of the players - including Edmonton Oilers prospect Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, were taken in the NHL Entry Draft in June. Twenty-three players were 2010 draft picks, with Everett Silvertips blueliner Ryan Murray as the lone player eligible for next year's draft.

There are also seven returning players from last year's silver medal-winning squad - goaltender Mark Visentin, defenceman Erik Gudbranson and forwards Brett Connolly, Sean Couturier, Quinton Howden, Ryan Johansen and Jaden Schwartz.

The players, born in 1992 or 1993, were selected by Prendergast, in consultation with Hockey Canada's vice-president of hockey operations and national teams, Brad Pascall, Hockey Canada's senior director of hockey operations and national teams, Scott Salmond, head coach Don Hay and assistant coaches George Burnett and Ryan Huska.

gocanada-banner-1a.jpg

I heard on the local TV that Nathan Beaulieu was invited. (From Strathroy :) )

yeppers

WJHC DEVELOPMENT CAMP ROSTER

I think we might see Gallagher play,Hays is his coach and they are fielding a smaller faster team this year,which the Russians did last year,and the Russians have very few returning players,17 of last years squad are no longer elegible.

3 of Swedens top players who could play,are now going to be in the NHL and are not going to their camp.

Haven't heard much about any of the others yet,I just love the world juniors,apart from my HABS it is the best thing in hockey.

GO KIDS GO :lol: :lol:

Just seen the list for the red and white teams for the camp,all the future HABS will be on red team,which is cool,they will most likely meet each other for the first time,I think they are from 3 different leagues,so I am quite looking forward to all the news from camp,hope they have a good time and get to play well together,I think it would be great if all 3 made it to the team.

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

What about Bournival? Gallagher, Bournival and Beaulieu all could potentialy make the roster for team Canada.

Such good things being said about our prospects,some of the other players saying Beaulieu was the best player on the ice in the last scrimmage,I just think it would be beyond wonderful if all our guys get picked.

Such good things being said about our prospects,some of the other players saying Beaulieu was the best player on the ice in the last scrimmage,I just think it would be beyond wonderful if all our guys get picked.

So nice to see you take a keen interest in this thread maddie....keeping us informed with the up-to-date news here.....till the big day rolls around (December 26, 2011, to January 5, 2012,)...keep'er coming.

I of course will continue to check in here time to time ;)....LETS GO CANADA!

It's quite hard to find the news,but last night the whites beat the reds 5-4,RN Hop scored to win it,10,000 people there on a hot August day that's about all I can find, not a lot of news,I tried to watch the game on my puter but it wouldn't let me.One day i will be able to afford a new one,this one is 10 yrs old nearly and doesn't do much else but let me on here so that's the only important thing.

GO KIDS GO :lol: :lol:

There is a whole page about Gallagher on NHL.com. I know CRB posted something in the Gallagher thread which pretty much says the same thing but it's cool that NHL.com has a whole post on the blog about it.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=167&navid=mod-rr-headlines

Can you see it DD and Gallagher chasing around with the puck,ducking and weaving beneath the arms and shoulders of the big guys two little guys like that with so much heart,you are going to see some good hockey,should be fun.I have always called DD our little giant now we will have 2 of them

• 3 months later...

CANADA'S ALTERNATE JERSEY AT WORLD JUNIOR'S HONOUR PAST TEAMS

WALKER JOINS CANADA'S WJHC COACHING STAFF

Country music star Paul Brandt performs the anthem for the World Jr. Championship, ''I Was There''.

http://www.tsn.ca/wo...tory/?id=380632

OMG.....IT SUCKS :angry:.....IMO.

No doubt about it I can't wait to watch the WJHC's after Christmas this is the best gift for a hockey nut like myself.Go Canada Go!

I hear ya....my favorite tournament for sure....never miss it.

gocanada-banner-1a.jpg

THREE RETURNEES HIGHLIGHT CANADA'S WJHC SELECTION ROSTER

visentinbig_70880.jpg

There will be plenty of spots up for grabs on Canada's national junior team next month as Hockey Canada announced its selection camp roster on Monday for the 2012 World Junior Hockey Championship.

Only three players from last year's silver medal-winning team - Jaden Schwartz, Quinton Howden and Mark Visentin - are on the list, as Erik Gudbranson, Brett Connolly, Ryan Johansen and Sean Couturier are committed to playing with their NHL teams.

Forwards Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Devante Smith-Pelly, who have full-time spots in Edmonton and Anaheim, were also left off.

Other players who were at summer evaluation camp but are not on the selection camp roster include defencemen Martin Lefebvre, Matthew Petgrave, Duncan Siemens, Dillon Simpson and Stuart Percy along with forwards Patrick Holland, Greg McKegg, Lucas Lessio, Matt Puempel, Brett Ritchie and Michael Sgarbossa.

There will also be four undrafted players at next month's camp in Calgary. Defencemen Cody Ceci of the Ottawa 67s, Everett blueliner Ryan Murray and Mathew Dumba of the Red Deer Rebels are eligible next June, while Barrie Colts forward Tanner Pearson will also get a chance to make the team.

"You look at this roster and there's a lot of depth," said Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson. "You talk to (head scout) Kevin Prendergast and he thinks we're as deep as we've ever been. We think it's going to be a very competitive camp here."

Players drafted by Canadian NHL teams include Mark Scheifele of the Winnipeg Jets, Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Brad Ross, Edmonton's Tyler Bunz, Mark Stone of the Ottawa Senators, Michael Ferland and Max Reinhart of the Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens prospects Nathan Beaulieu, Michael Bournival and Brendan Gallagher.

"Many of these players have already received the experience necessary to deal with high-paced international competition such as the World Juniors," said Prendergast. "The quality and skill of the 41 players invited to camp next week is a testament to the hard work, commitment and development of all those involved in the Canadian minor hockey and junior hockey systems."

The World Junior Hockey Championship begins on Boxing Day in Calgary and Edmonton.

team_canada.jpg

Team Canada

Beaulieu, Gallagher and Bournival to attend Canada's junior evaluation camp.......GOOD LUCK BOYS. B)

There are no guarantees by any means, but a little NHL assistance is not out of the question for Canada's national junior team this year.

That isn't to suggest the Edmonton Oilers will release Ryan Nugent-Hopkins or the Philadelphia Flyers will part with Sean Couturier, because they won't.

And Ryan Johansen of the Columbus Blue Jackets would be in the same category.

Boston's Tyler Seguin and Carolina's Jeff Skinner are, technically, still eligible for the tournament - but don't even go there.

But there is most certainly a chance that the Anaheim Ducks could loan winger Devante Smith-Pelly in time for the final evaluation camp that opens Dec. 10. He's probably the best bet. And Smith-Pelly was a force at the summer evaluation camp.

The Tampa Bay Lightning will at least consider the situation involving winger Brett Connolly, but at this time, he's playing well and they have no one to replace him if they did decide to loan him out. So they'll wait to see where they're at in 10 days.

The Florida Panther haven't ruled out defenceman Erik Gudbranson - at least not yet. So that's another call to be made closer to the beginning of camp.

In the meantime, Team Canada will be mostly hoping some key players return fully to good health.

Winger Jonathan Huberdeau of the Saint John Sea Dogs is a lock to be on the team, but the fractured bone in his foot is still probably another two weeks away from being fully healed, which would make him touch and go for the start of the final camp.

But the key date for Huberdeau is that he's ready to play in the pre-tournament games the week before Christmas.

Defenceman Ryan Murray of the Everett Silvertips is another anticipated lock for Team Canada, but hasn't played for weeks because of the dreaded high ankle sprain. Murray has, however, been skating for the past 10 days. He's not likely to play any games between now and the Dec. 10th opening of Team Canada's camp,

But as long as there are no setbacks, he's expected to be ready to go for that and, again, Team Canada just wants to make sure he's 100 per cent by the week before Christmas.

Archived