The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

World Cup Rugby

maddienmike

The World Cup for Rugby starts soon,I don't know if anyone is interested,but in the UK and across a lot of the world it's very big.It is of course where American football comes from and CFL also Australian rules football.it's an old game and has been played for many many years,A version of the game was first played in the 1750's.

My brother played rugby for over 30 years,and I have a grand daughter and a grandson who play rugby.

My brother used to train the Bristol Ladies team in the UK,back in the 70's and 80's,a ladies team from McGill came to play against them,and he was offered a job training them, so he came to Canada and trained the ladies team at McGill for a year in the late 80's.

It's another game that the Japanese like,and they usually go to the world cup, but it's biggest in the UK,all four countries are usually there,it's big in France and several other European countries very big in Australia and NZ,the NZ All Blacks are always one of the teams to beat,and it's also very big on a lot of Pacific islands like Tonga, Samoa ,Fiji and several others.

The Canadian team has just got a new home in BC,where they can train all year round,so I think rugby will get bigger here with some backing,I know there are quite a few teams around the country.But of course like football it cannot be played in the winter here,whereas it's a winter sport in most other countries.

Interesting to see if anyone on here follows it.

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

being in oz i can only hope NZ choke as they have done in every world cup since 1987. every time the tournament rolls around they are clear favourites(except 2003, when england was) but they always trip up and i love it, because most new zealander's live in australia(i exaggerate a bit) and always complain about australia and tell us how nz is sooooo much better('why the hell don't you go back there' i often think). plus their team is very arrogant.

honestly would be happy to see anyone bar them it, but i don't really like ireland or south africa.

hoping for france, england, argentina, wales, tonga to do well, oh yeah and canada ;)

I played the game at school and have attended internationals at Murrayfield on numerous occaisions so I am quite interested in how it all goes, although I doubt I will watch that many matches. With the law changes over recent years the game bores me now with the amount of reset scrums, and breaks in play. Give me a rugby league game any day!!!! I do think the cup will stay in the Southern hemisphere with both NZ and Australia gearing up nicely for the tournament, and SA always dangerous!!! France and England are the only Northern teams IMO who could spring what would be a massive "surprise".

being in oz i can only hope NZ choke as they have done in every world cup since 1987. every time the tournament rolls around they are clear favourites(except 2003, when england was) but they always trip up and i love it, because most new zealander's live in australia(i exaggerate a bit) and always complain about australia and tell us how nz is sooooo much better('why the hell don't you go back there' i often think). plus their team is very arrogant.

honestly would be happy to see anyone bar them it, but i don't really like ireland or south africa.

hoping for france, england, argentina, wales, tonga to do well, oh yeah and canada ;)

:lol: Kid, interesting comments, I won't get into the Australian - NZ thing with you as this really isn't the place, but as we're on a thread about Rugby Union i will say that NZ are usually clear favourites every WC as they are consistently the best team in the world. Goodness knows why they have only won the one WC. But for a nation with less than 5 million people I don't think they do too badly. With regards to your comment about them being arrogant, I live in NZ, and I do not see this arrogance. You may be confusing their arrogance for a self assured confidence. Over recent years NZ have consistently beaten all the rugby playing nations, including, if i'm correct, beating Australia nine out of the last ten games between the two countries. I think they're entitled to be confident. Looking forward to hearing what sort of hockey coverage you get on the other side of the ditch. :D

I like this Oz NZ thing,it's always been the same in the UK with Wales or France,now that I live in Canada I need to find out more about the team here,will look it up in the next few days,I don't even know if Canada will be at the world cup,I have been so far away from it for the past ten years,need to get some info.

I like this Oz NZ thing,it's always been the same in the UK with Wales or France,now that I live in Canada I need to find out more about the team here,will look it up in the next few days,I don't even know if Canada will be at the world cup,I have been so far away from it for the past ten years,need to get some info.

Hi Maddie, Canada will have a team at the WC. They're in the same pool as NZ, France, Tonga and Japan.Will you get any TV coverage over there?

I played the game at school and have attended internationals at Murrayfield on numerous occaisions so I am quite interested in how it all goes, although I doubt I will watch that many matches. With the law changes over recent years the game bores me now with the amount of reset scrums, and breaks in play. Give me a rugby league game any day!!!! I do think the cup will stay in the Southern hemisphere with both NZ and Australia gearing up nicely for the tournament, and SA always dangerous!!! France and England are the only Northern teams IMO who could spring what would be a massive "surprise".

:lol: Kid, interesting comments, I won't get into the Australian - NZ thing with you as this really isn't the place, but as we're on a thread about Rugby Union i will say that NZ are usually clear favourites every WC as they are consistently the best team in the world. Goodness knows why they have only won the one WC. But for a nation with less than 5 million people I don't think they do too badly. With regards to your comment about them being arrogant, I live in NZ, and I do not see this arrogance. You may be confusing their arrogance for a self assured confidence. Over recent years NZ have consistently beaten all the rugby playing nations, including, if i'm correct, beating Australia nine out of the last ten games between the two countries. I think they're entitled to be confident. Looking forward to hearing what sort of hockey coverage you get on the other side of the ditch. :D

i know NZ are an awesome team and have been for a long time but that sort of makes me hate them even more(like my hatred towards manchester united or the ny yankees) i can't deny that they're good but it doesn't mean i have to like them. i just find it funny how every time the world cup comes around they think its their god given right to win it and a team like france come along who are less talented but play with all there heart and bungle them out.(see 1999, 2007). anyway i don't really hate new zealander's, just their sports team, the oz-nz rivalry is quite a friendly one but i still get annoyed at all the nz expats here telling me how crap australia is compared to nz(even though scenery on the south island is amazing).

where abouts in nz are you?

what's the NHL coverage like over there?

we usually get 4-5 live games week on pay tv here.

i know NZ are an awesome team and have been for a long time but that sort of makes me hate them even more(like my hatred towards manchester united or the ny yankees) i can't deny that they're good but it doesn't mean i have to like them. i just find it funny how every time the world cup comes around they think its their god given right to win it and a team like france come along who are less talented but play with all there heart and bungle them out.(see 1999, 2007). anyway i don't really hate new zealander's, just their sports team, the oz-nz rivalry is quite a friendly one but i still get annoyed at all the nz expats here telling me how crap australia is compared to nz(even though scenery on the south island is amazing).

where abouts in nz are you?

what's the NHL coverage like over there?

we usually get 4-5 live games week on pay tv here.

I can see where you're coming from wanting them to slip up, for me as a neutral they're the best side to watch, although the current Aussie team has some flair players, the next test match between the teams will be very interesting. I watched both WC games v France, and France when they get going are a fantastic team, in both games they were expected to lose so they just went for it, NZ on the other hand had all the pressure on them and couldn't handle it. Will be really interesting to see how they cope on their own turf!!! For the record I know quite a few Kiwis in Australia and the majority love the place although they are still very proud of their homeland.

I live up in the North Island, approx 1hr or so from Auckland, prefer to watch the Warriors myself, and I take my girls to watch the netball, went to the recent match in Auckland between the two countries, my daughter supports the Diamonds!!!! I only started watching the NHL during the playoffs so I'm not sure what sort of coverage we'll get during regular season, I was thinking it might be similar to over your way. The playoff coverage i saw was on ESPN. Came on this here to get a bit more knowledge of the game and the Habs, although I'm probably asking some pretty daft questions haha!!!!You know any other hockey fans where you are (where in Aus do you come from)?

Hi Maddie, Canada will have a team at the WC. They're in the same pool as NZ, France, Tonga and Japan.Will you get any TV coverage over there?

Hi it's nice to talk to you ,I looked it up and your right we do have a team but a very young one,we will get some coverage here but mostly about 4 in the morning,so I don't think I will see much.

Talking about ice hockey did you know,the Aussie's have the second oldest cup in ice hockey,I can't remember the name of it so there must be a league,and the year before last a NZ kid was said to be ranked 16th in the world,for a sixteen year old but i haven't heard of him since,he is playing somewhere in NA and should be eligible for the draft next year,I keep looking out to see if there is anything about him.So there must be some players down there,of course it's not the NHL,but it's interesting,I had never watched hockey until I moved to Canada nearly ten years ago,now it is the thing I love the most,but in other sports I like to keep up with home country.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi it's nice to talk to you ,I looked it up and your right we do have a team but a very young one,we will get some coverage here but mostly about 4 in the morning,so I don't think I will see much.

Talking about ice hockey did you know,the Aussie's have the second oldest cup in ice hockey,I can't remember the name of it so there must be a league,and the year before last a NZ kid was said to be ranked 16th in the world,for a sixteen year old but i haven't heard of him since,he is playing somewhere in NA and should be eligible for the draft next year,I keep looking out to see if there is anything about him.So there must be some players down there,of course it's not the NHL,but it's interesting,I had never watched hockey until I moved to Canada nearly ten years ago,now it is the thing I love the most,but in other sports I like to keep up with home country.

All kicks off in earnest here tomorrow night, the whole country is in the party mood!!!!!

All kicks off in earnest here tomorrow night, the whole country is in the party mood!!!!!

Yes I bet it is,I will keep up with it here though I don't know how many games I will get to see,depends on how Canada are doing,I hope they do well,it would be good for the sport here,but Hockey is here soon then I will be happy.

Yes I bet it is,I will keep up with it here though I don't know how many games I will get to see,depends on how Canada are doing,I hope they do well,it would be good for the sport here,but Hockey is here soon then I will be happy.

maddie did you get to see the opening ceremony? If yes what did you think? We had a great day, everyone was dressed in their national colours, at work, schools, daycares etc....the country is ALIVE.....Scotland play tomorrow, as do England!!!!!

maddie did you get to see the opening ceremony? If yes what did you think? We had a great day, everyone was dressed in their national colours, at work, schools, daycares etc....the country is ALIVE.....Scotland play tomorrow, as do England!!!!!

We didn't not have any coverage of the opening ceremony as far as I could find out,I will have to go online to find out more about it,although there is coverage on TSN not much,going to check on line in a minute to see whats happening,but you guys will be able to keep me more up to date

Jenzed nice win over Tonga,I thought they might have been a bit better,NZ looks like they are out to win.

Some good performances today by the less established rugby playing nations.......Scotland could easily have lost today against Romania, and Japan just ran France pretty close until the last 10 minutes!!!! :D

Japan is really quite good,they were in the last world cup,England had their work cut out for them,by the looks of things,Wales should do OK, so should Ireland,but all these eastern European countries,I didn't realise they played Rugby,so it's quite interesting,I think Canada will have to really go some to qualify in their group has to be the hardest.

Japan is really quite good,they were in the last world cup,England had their work cut out for them,by the looks of things,Wales should do OK, so should Ireland,but all these eastern European countries,I didn't realise they played Rugby,so it's quite interesting,I think Canada will have to really go some to qualify in their group has to be the hardest.

The IRB has invested a lot of money into developing the games in these countries and it looks as if it's starting to pay dividends. The games so far have been a lot closer. You're right about Canada having their work cut out, no easy games for them, however if the weather is the way it is today it will be a great leveller!!!! Just to let you know there are black flags everywhere, people have them from their cars, at their homes, and their businesses, their really is a feel good factor about the place just now....I'm not sure if Canada was like that when they had the Olympics Ice Hockey!!!

The IRB has invested a lot of money into developing the games in these countries and it looks as if it's starting to pay dividends. The games so far have been a lot closer. You're right about Canada having their work cut out, no easy games for them, however if the weather is the way it is today it will be a great leveller!!!! Just to let you know there are black flags everywhere, people have them from their cars, at their homes, and their businesses, their really is a feel good factor about the place just now....I'm not sure if Canada was like that when they had the Olympics Ice Hockey!!!

I live near Vancouver and yes it was magic,it was an amazing sight to see,there is nothing like a national home team winning.England had to play hard to beat Argentina yesterday,didn't look that great.The IRB's investment certainly looks to be paying dividends,it is suprising when you look at the countries taking part.

When you said about black flags,my first reaction was it was for the Russian hockey team,but of course black is NZ.s color( stupid of me).

Well we can soon talk about hockey can't wait.

I live near Vancouver and yes it was magic,it was an amazing sight to see,there is nothing like a national home team winning.England had to play hard to beat Argentina yesterday,didn't look that great.The IRB's investment certainly looks to be paying dividends,it is suprising when you look at the countries taking part.

When you said about black flags,my first reaction was it was for the Russian hockey team,but of course black is NZ.s color( stupid of me).

Well we can soon talk about hockey can't wait.

well done Canada, 25-20 win over Tonga........a tough team to beat!!! :)

well done Canada, 25-20 win over Tonga........a tough team to beat!!! :)

Yes didn't we do well,at least it won't be a white wash this time,I didn't get to see all the game Mike doesn't like rugby,I just wandered if Paris played will have to check it out,if he did that makes him the youngest player ever in the world cup.

I felt sorry for Japan,it's one thing to get beaten by the All Black but by a margin of 50 something points,that's terrible,Japan were really bad I have seen them play better,Just hope the same thing doesn't happen to us when we play France.

GO CANADA GO :lol: :lol:

I felt sorry for Japan,it's one thing to get beaten by the All Black but by a margin of 50 something points,that's terrible,Japan were really bad I have seen them play better,Just hope the same thing doesn't happen to us when we play France.

Hi maddie, yeah Japan were steamrolled just a bit, AB's didn't give them a sniff, although the Japan try got the biggest cheer of the evening which was nice. All the games so far have been well attended and most locals are picking one team or the other and wearing the colours, it's great. Tonight France play Canada in Napier and I believe that one half of the CBD is decked out in Canada's colours, the other in French colours. I'm about to kick back just now and watch the game, hope it's a good one. :)

I watched the replay,Canada played really well it was more bad luck than judgement,had a visitor so couldn't watch the second half properly,I can see them beating Japan.

I think you're right, Canada look to be stronger than the Japanese, should be a good game though. As a sidenote Japan are coached by a Kiwi, John Kirwan, who won the WC in 1987 with the AB's. He suffered from severe depression during those years despite being a very successful sportsman, and he now does a great amount of work raising awareness of the illness in a society where to many admitting to being depressed amounted to a sign of weakness. He's also written a book about his struggles which is a good read.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we got steam rolled by the ABlacks,but I think we played hard,we just didn't look as physically strong as the AB's,it was hard to watch us losing by the amount we did,but we have every reason to be proud of how we conducted ourselves,we will be so much better if Paris turns out like they say he will,maybe next time we will gt a better look in.