The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

IIAF World Chanpionship

maddienmike

This was always my sport before I fell in love with hockey,I was never built for playing or participating in sport,I was a pretty good gymnast and I think I would have been a good swimmer,but I didn't learn to swim until I was 37,now if you told me to swim 5 miles no problem.

The thing about athletics or field events was it was always one person against the rest,so if you won you were the best.I used to know all the athletes from all the countries and all the youngsters coming up,but the coverage here is not so good although it is improving.

This year is the pre Olympic year,so it is much more interesting to a lot of people,we have several chances for a gold,but not a lot,I know very little about the program here but it's not good,I know that the weather has a lot to do with that but it could be a lot better.We have about 25 in our team which isn't a lot and we don't have any high jumpers which is not good Canada always used to have good jumpers,I have no idea if we will get any coverage here,I will have to look it up.

The games start on 19th August in Daegu Korea,they don't have all the pomp or ceremony of the Olympics but some people think they are better for pure sports,they happen every 2 years and are only about 30 years old, can't remember when they first started.

So folks anybody interested let me know and I will find out more.

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

Well it looks like no one is interested,it starts today will get to see a little bit on CBC.

:) maddie, I saw a little of the marathon on tv yesterday, and will keep an eye on any kiwis competing, but probably won't watch too much........although needless to say there are some awesome and very dedicated athletes on show!!!! And no doubt we'll all hear how Mr Bolt goes!!! :D

:) maddie, I saw a little of the marathon on tv yesterday, and will keep an eye on any kiwis competing, but probably won't watch too much........although needless to say there are some awesome and very dedicated athletes on show!!!! And no doubt we'll all hear how Mr Bolt goes!!! :D

Bolt just jogged to the finish in 100mtrs heat,30 mtrs in front of any body else of course,the best British female sprinter ever was disqualified for a false start,it's hard here to get any news of athletics they are not interested only winter sports,although we do have a few good athletes.The best NZ was Johnnie Walker I watched him race for years against Seb Coe and that gang ,really liked him(there's my age showing),but wonder of wonders it's on again today,so I will get to catch up,glad there is some one else to talk to about this,no one here knows the first thing about T&F although Mike is getting to know more now.

Bolt just jogged to the finish in 100mtrs heat,30 mtrs in front of any body else of course,the best British female sprinter ever was disqualified for a false start,it's hard here to get any news of athletics they are not interested only winter sports,although we do have a few good athletes.The best NZ was Johnnie Walker I watched him race for years against Seb Coe and that gang ,really liked him(there's my age showing),but wonder of wonders it's on again today,so I will get to catch up,glad there is some one else to talk to about this,no one here knows the first thing about T&F although Mike is getting to know more now.

We certainly got to hear about Bolt didn't we, but not in the way we expected. I'm sure he could have given the rest a 5m start and still won, he'll learn from the experience. I remeber watching John Walker when I was young, he was a great runner. I was fortunate enough to meet him a couple of years ago at a conference, a total gentleman. Did you know he now suffers from Parkinsons? The Coe, Ovett, Cram era was a great time for UK t&f but doubt we'll ever see it again, certainly not in middle distance. haven't been able to see any more apart from the 1st day, and what's on the news. I'll maybe get to see more at the weekend!!!! Shame you don't get to see more, I think there's full day coverage here on Sky TV, we're spoilt a bit, a sports mad nation!!!:)

Where are you Jenzed,for some reason I thought you might be living in Aussie,are you still in NZ.We get a lot of sports here too but it's hockey which I don't mind at at all,baseball where the only good thing is some of the great catches,basket ball which is not very exciting,American and Canadian football,which have different rules,and although we live in BC still follow the Allouettes,because Mike is from Montreal motor racing is mainly Nascar and Indie,when I prefer formula one grand prix's,they call football soccer here but to me it's still football which I was never mad about,,never hear about cricket don't know who's having an upsurge any more,or rugby,quite a lot of swimming and diving which I like and next to nothing on T&F which I love.

We are getting about 45 minutes of coverage on the world championships which is an improvement we get nothing on the common wealth games even though Canada takes part in that,

Suprising about Bolt not like him,one of the Uk runners was disqualified in the semi's for the same reason he was the best chance for them,but most of it is heats now for a couple of days,had quite good coverage of the Decathlon USA won that and in the 5,000 meters a UK runner was pipped at the post,hopefully we get some more news today.

You were lucky to meet Walker he always seemed like a gentle man to me,he always had that rep when he was running,sad that he is suffering,after taking such good care of himself all those years, talk to you later.

Not a lot happened yesterday mostly it was heats,our heptathalon is doing quite well but it is her first big meet back after giving birth,so we can't expect too much,but apart from that not a lot happened.

We have 30 minutes coverage at 11.30 at night saw it last night,the Uk got the silver in the heptathalon but the Canadian woman did not do as well as expected,a 18 year old won the men's 400,that is very young to be running in the world championship,what i have seen of it has been quite good but I do miss the BBC coverage of these things,they just aren't interested here.

Missed it last night I fell asleep on the settee need to look up the results.

Ok maddie, just watched kiwi boy finish 11th at javelin and Lee McConnell anchor the UK's womens 4x400m to 4th place....just waiting on bolt in the 200m. hope he doesn't jump the gun!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

do you get disquaulified after just one false start now? :angry:

Yes this has been the rule for a couple of years,I personally do not like it,but before there would be so many false starts they had to do something.I haven't got to watch it for a few days,but I know the Canadian shot putter got silver,he was the best in the world all year but only got silver

We have quite a bit of coverage today,so I am going to be stuck to the TV,although the sun is shinning and I should really get out.Hope Bolt doesn't do the same in the 200 it would be a real pity.I will be watching for NZ taking part along with the Uk and Canada,talk about it later.

Maddie, the athletics are on channel 4, coverage is terrible, the BBC only do Athletics correctly...

I think the BBC lost the athletics years ago (don't know about Olympics)not long before I left,so I didn't see much channel 4,but even that has to be better coverage than we get here for athletics.We had a good few hours yesterday which was the best we have had,the only problem is we just get the finals, none of the heats,unless Canadians are in it,and not all of the finals.You do not get to see the rest of the world contestants and if you follow the sport,you want to see who is good in what.

So far Canada has 2 medals,but we never see the medal tables,so i have no idea how any one else is doing.Now I am going to watch the last bit of the games which is on in a minute,so I will be back later.