The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Your Earliest Hockey Memories

jenzed

Following on from a fantastic blog by GreekHockeyCoach in "Habs Fans Blog Of The Week" (if you heven't read it, make a point of doing so) I was wondering what everyone's earliest hockey memories were. Some of you will have been brought up with the game, some like me may have got into it in later life, some of you may have played, some will be supporters!!! wouild be great to hear your experiences, and a chance for us to reminisce. :D

For me I remember watching TV in the UK in the late 70's early 80's watching the Murrayfield Racers, Fife Flyers and Dundee Rockets compete for the British title. A friend of mine later introduced me to the Fife Flyers experience, a great evening out, no perspex surround there just the old original nets (although I believe that is about to change as they've been accepted into the British Super League). A stalwart of that team was a man by the name of Mark Morrison who has just been appointed coach at the Winnipeg Jets feeder team (i'm not sure of their name!!!

My earliest hockey memories were shortly after getting our very first TV ( yes it was black and white with a whole 3 channels and rabbit ears). Had some great sibling battles over what station to put on Saturday nights. Did some mean negotiating weekly to see a live game. Some weeks it was the only 3 hours of TV i got to see.

In late 1991 I was four years old, and I watched my first hockey game. I don't remember who was playing, but I do remember that not long after I was trying to play like the guys on TV with a broom, much to my mom's amusement. :lol: My extended family is split about 50/50 between the US and Canada in Ohio, Michigan, Ontario, and Quebec, so my mom had some exposure to hockey. For Christmas that year she got me a stick, net, and a few street hockey pucks and balls. There wasn't much ice where I lived at the time. I was already on roller skates, and within a year I was reasonably stable (:P) on inlines. I turned a few of my friends into hockey fans and we played silly street games.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest habs1952

Getting up at 6 am to play on outdoor tennis courts the city turned into ice rinks. Oh yeah.....minus 30F without the wind. Not to mention frozen skates after the mile and a half walk to get there or putting skates on outside because the hot house wasn't open that early. I AM CANADIAN!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Getting up at 6 am to play on outdoor tennis courts the city turned into ice rinks. Oh yeah.....minus 30F without the wind. Not to mention frozen skates after the mile and a half walk to get there or putting skates on outside because the hot house wasn't open that early. I AM CANADIAN!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You damn well better be to do all that. :lol:

Some good stuff here. Who amongst actually played the game as kids?

I'm still a kid (16 year old), and i've played since I was 4. I was a forward until I started playing goalie when I was 6 years old, and I've been a goalie ever since. I played forward in 4-on-4 this year, and that was a lot of fun. I found out I have good vision and good hands for passing, but my shot isn't so good.

TOUGH AS MATE.......man that sounds cold, I admire your dedication. ;)

I'm still a kid (16 year old), and i've played since I was 4. I was a forward until I started playing goalie when I was 6 years old, and I've been a goalie ever since. I played forward in 4-on-4 this year, and that was a lot of fun. I found out I have good vision and good hands for passing, but my shot isn't so good.

Good on you Noob!!! 10 years a goalie, you must enjoy playing there, you must need good reflexes and hand eye coordination? Who do you play for?

• 2 weeks later...

My earliest memories are learning to skate when my parents were teaching me how to walk I have been on skates since the age of 1. I even still have my very first ever pair of skates a pair of Bauer little beavers they had to have them custom made as they weren't making skates that small back then. I also have some fond memories of hanging out with the old London Knights like Ramage and Sittler and Bunny Laraque. I even have my pic with many of those guys individually and posing with the team for team photos. Ahh the good old days lol.

My oldest recollections are of the Habs winning the Stanley Cup in 1964-65 my families return from France.Always a Habs family since the 50's when living in Longueil,apparently the Habs Stanley Cup 1956-57 color picture fully autographed,when my dad took us to see a Habs practice.In 64-65 Beliveau my favorite Hab All-Time was Captain and Conn Smythe Trophy winner, the first time recipient of the Award.Most befitting Jean Beliveau,who was always at his best during the playoffs.

Archived