The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Buy or Sell?

BigTed3

We all know players' values go up and down from season to season and game to game. What I want to know is which players you would buy (i.e. you think their value is going up in the near future) and which you would sell (i.e. you believe their value is going down). Feel free to post your thoughts about who you think is likely to start the year above or below expectations now, and as the season goes along, you can offer your opinions on who is about to go on a hot or cold streak by buying or selling on a given player at any time. Let the Montreal Canadiens stock market begin... here are a few guys I'm buying and selling on:

1. Brian Gionta: BUY. His numbers didn't look bad but he had an inconsistent year and he missed a ton of chances. Common sense says he spends most of the year with better linemates and gets back to converting a higher percentage of chances.

2. Erik Cole: SELL. There's a lot of hype surrounding this guy coming in here and many believe he'll be the power forward we've been missing for years. But he's got to develop some chemistry somewhere first and there's still the cloud hanging over him that he can't produce without Eric Staal. The Habs don't have a center anywhere close to Staal. I don't think he'll do badly, but I don't think he's the savior people think he is.

3. Scott Gomez: BUY. Is there any way to sell on this guy right now. His stock is so low that it'd be hard. Expectations are reasonably low and I think he blows those out of the water. My guess is that he hits 60 points.

4. David Desharnais: BUY. My pick to be the break-out player this year. He's got to get that chance first, so we may not see much right at the start of the year but once he gets his shot with two decent wingers, I think we'll see him score points at a regular pace.

5. Carey Price: SELL. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll have a pretty good year, but it'll be had for him to match what he did last year. For one, his back-up is going to get more playing time this year and that may play a bit on the rhythm he's able to get himself into. Second, his D has undergone an overhaul and most of the guys are likely to get new partners and/or be playing on the wrong side of the ice. With the new faces, there may just be some communication issues to work out in the defensive zone and Carey already had a fair number of mix-ups with his D last year. Up front, the Habs forward corps is also geared a little more towards offence this year and losing Halpern will hurt the PK and the ability to win draws. All of this translates into more scoring chances for the opposition and while it doesn't mean the wins won't be there, it does lead me to believe there will be more shots and goals for both the Habs and their opposition.

Markov: Buy. His stock is at an all time low with the past couple years of injuries. Looking for a decent year.

Eller: Buy. Showed signs of breaking out last year.

Gomez: Buy. For all the reasons BigTed mentioned and more. Would be close to impossible to be worse.

PK: Buy. I think we saw the tip of the iceberg last year. Look to see more of it this year.

Moen: Sell. His last year with us most likely. Sell while we can.

Jaro: Sell. But will anybody buy???

Cammy:Buy. He will be better this year. I'm counting on it.

We all know players' values go up and down from season to season and game to game. What I want to know is which players you would buy (i.e. you think their value is going up in the near future) and which you would sell (i.e. you believe their value is going down). Feel free to post your thoughts about who you think is likely to start the year above or below expectations now, and as the season goes along, you can offer your opinions on who is about to go on a hot or cold streak by buying or selling on a given player at any time. Let the Montreal Canadiens stock market begin... here are a few guys I'm buying and selling on:

1. Brian Gionta: BUY. His numbers didn't look bad but he had an inconsistent year and he missed a ton of chances. Common sense says he spends most of the year with better linemates and gets back to converting a higher percentage of chances.

2. Erik Cole: SELL. There's a lot of hype surrounding this guy coming in here and many believe he'll be the power forward we've been missing for years. But he's got to develop some chemistry somewhere first and there's still the cloud hanging over him that he can't produce without Eric Staal. The Habs don't have a center anywhere close to Staal. I don't think he'll do badly, but I don't think he's the savior people think he is.

3. Scott Gomez: BUY. Is there any way to sell on this guy right now. His stock is so low that it'd be hard. Expectations are reasonably low and I think he blows those out of the water. My guess is that he hits 60 points.

4. David Desharnais: BUY. My pick to be the break-out player this year. He's got to get that chance first, so we may not see much right at the start of the year but once he gets his shot with two decent wingers, I think we'll see him score points at a regular pace.

5. Carey Price: SELL. Don't get me wrong, I think he'll have a pretty good year, but it'll be had for him to match what he did last year. For one, his back-up is going to get more playing time this year and that may play a bit on the rhythm he's able to get himself into. Second, his D has undergone an overhaul and most of the guys are likely to get new partners and/or be playing on the wrong side of the ice. With the new faces, there may just be some communication issues to work out in the defensive zone and Carey already had a fair number of mix-ups with his D last year. Up front, the Habs forward corps is also geared a little more towards offence this year and losing Halpern will hurt the PK and the ability to win draws. All of this translates into more scoring chances for the opposition and while it doesn't mean the wins won't be there, it does lead me to believe there will be more shots and goals for both the Habs and their opposition.

we dont have a center close to Staal.. lol ya thats a huuge understatement

Fun idea, Ted!

Brian Gionta: SELL

Don't get me wrong: I love our captain and I don't doubt that he'll continue to play his heart out, but he's exceeded expectations (or at least my expectations) stats-wise since he got here and I just don't know if he'll be able to keep it up to the same level yet another year without wearing down. We started to see it with Koivu in the few years before he left and Brian's getting to about the same age: a little guy can only play such a hard-nosed game for so long before injury and fatigue start to catch up to him. I don't think it'll be a dramatic drop-off, and a rejuvenated Gomez might help to stay the erosion a little bit, but I don't see him doing quite as well as in his first two years over the whole season. Which brings me to my next player...

Scott Gomez: BUY

I know, I know, talk is cheap. But Scott's public mea culpa came just after the playoffs ended last season and he seemed to genuinely feel that he'd let his teammates down. That can't feel good, and by all appearances he's put in the work in the off-season to make sure that a repeat does not happen again. If he can keep that guilt-fueled fire inside long enough to get a good start to the season it might just be enough to push him on to bigger and better things. In any case he's not getting any worse than last year, so selling him now seemed out of the question.

Mathieu Darche: SELL

Here's another guy I like a whole lot, but I don't see him having a repeat of last season. He's become a sort of dark horse goal-scorer in his time on the top lines over the last few years, but with the addition of Patches and Cole I just don't see him getting the same opportunity again. I certainly don't see him getting much in the way of powerplay time. Keep him on the team (I'm sure he'll do fine on the lower lines) but for the sake of the Habs stock market he's a sure sell in my books.

Jaro Spacek: BUY

I don't see myself getting a lot of agreement on this one, but that's almost the reason I'm buying: Spacek's value has fallen so much in these parts over the past few years that I think the "Legend of Jaro the Terrible" is starting to overshadow his actual play. He's had some rough patches, but overall he hasn't been THAT bad. Granted he hasn't been that good, either, but I think he'll maintain a pretty steady presence on the second pairing this year. (If Markov goes down and we ask him to do more than that, though, we could have a problem). Based on low expectations alone, this guy is a buy.

Lars Eller: BUY

I think that Eller will have a bit of a breakout this year. Whether or not he qualifies as a buy I guess depends on what your expections are, but I feel that he'll make a pretty significant leap from last year's numbers.

Max Pacioretti: SELL

It pains me to say this, but I think that Max may be overvalued a bit right now, even notwithstanding the injury. He was excellent when he came up last year, but it wouldn't be the first time a rookie broke into the league on fire and then cooled as time went on. I think he'll be good enough to stay on the team, and possibly the second line, but I think that those looking for him to maintain last season's pace over the full year are going to be a little disappointed. Prove me wrong, Max!

• 2 weeks later...

1. Brendan Gallagher: SELL. Every year, there are guys to get excited about in camp. Gallagher's done well and I love his drive to the net in particular. But now he's going to start facing tougher coverage and he's going to be getting fewer minutes and certainly not very much if any PP time. So it'll be much harder for him to show he still belongs. Maybe he gets a handful of games in the bigs until the injured forwards return, but the odds say he ends up back in junior sooner rather than later.

2. PK Subban: BUY. So I'm not 100% sure how nagging this back injury is going to be to him, but he looked pretty good in his one exhibition game and he's back at practice now. With Markov unavailable to start the year, PK is going to be the guy who gets the majority of the PP time and late-game minutes. The kid thrives under pressure. You do the math.

3. Yannick Weber: SELL. His stock is dropping fast and you might think it would be a good time to buy. But with the addition of Campoli and the Habs faith in Diaz (he was on the PP at practice and he's paired with Spacek), it doesn't look like the Habs are interested in creating room for him at the back end and it doesn't look like he's very high on the depth chart up front either. Basically he's in no-man's land.

4. Josh Gorges: BUY. There are a lot of question marks about Habs coming back from long-term injuries, but Josh has looked like our best D man in the pre-season and he'll be counted on to be a general on the back end come the start of the season. He looks fresh and he looks ready and I think he'll have a good start to the year.

Archived