The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Training Camp/Exhibition Season

HabsRuleForever

The top 5 players I'm personally looking forward to seeing in the pre-season (in no particular order):

1. Jarred Tinordi: he didn't impress me all that much last year, but the talk is that he's improved greatly and I want to see if that's the case.

2. Brendan Gallagher: can the little guy deliver against real opposition?

3. Alexei Emelin: is he the real deal? can this guy be a top 4 D man for this year or are there going to be growing pains? I'm interested to know what he can deliver at both ends of the ice.

4. Brock Trotter: JM says he's improved. Is there a legitimate possibility of him having an impact for our team this year or is he a spare part?

5. Jeff Woywitka: if he has a good camp, he can force the team's hand, especially if there aren't any additional forwards who step up and Weber is moved up front some of the time. He's got the pedigree but there's a reason he's been tossed from team to team. This may be his last chance to establish himself and I'm interested to know if he seizes it.

The top 5 players I'm personally looking forward to seeing in the pre-season (in no particular order):

1. Jarred Tinordi: he didn't impress me all that much last year, but the talk is that he's improved greatly and I want to see if that's the case.

3. Alexei Emelin: is he the real deal? can this guy be a top 4 D man for this year or are there going to be growing pains? I'm interested to know what he can deliver at both ends of the ice.

4. Brock Trotter: JM says he's improved. Is there a legitimate possibility of him having an impact for our team this year or is he a spare part?

5. Jeff Woywitka: if he has a good camp, he can force the team's hand, especially if there aren't any additional forwards who step up and Weber is moved up front some of the time. He's got the pedigree but there's a reason he's been tossed from team to team. This may be his last chance to establish himself and I'm interested to know if he seizes it.

Emelin's only adjustment is the size of the ice surface, other than that i believe he will be good to go

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the matter but after training camp do we have to select a specified number of players to form the playing squad for the upcoming season, and are you free to call up players from feeder teams as and when required ?

Answers yes and yes,some players the Habs have to pass through waivers which allows other teams a chance to take that player at half price.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the matter but after training camp do we have to select a specified number of players to form the playing squad for the upcoming season, and are you free to call up players from feeder teams as and when required ?

Answers yes and yes,some players the Habs have to pass through waivers which allows other teams a chance to take that player at half price.

Yep. After training camp the team has to be pared down to a 23-man roster. Players that are young enough to be playing junior hockey (20 and under) are normally returned to their junior teams when they don't make the cut. Once sent down they're generally stuck there for the rest of the year.

Older players that have contracts with the Canadiens are generally sent to our AHL affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs. They can then be called up throughout the year as injury replacements or what have you.

As S-bah said, however, sometimes it gets a little complicated. Once a player has reached a certain number of years/games in the league he becomes waiver elegible. That means that if he doesn't make the team and is sent down to Hamilton at the end of camp every other team in the league has a period of time in which they can claim that player from us at his current salary. That's why some of the older players have a bit of an advantage when it comes to making the team - the young guys can be moved back and forth freely without us having to worry about losing them.

Even if a player does pass through waivers and gets assigned to the AHL, in order to be called back up to Montreal he must then pass through re-entry waivers. This means that every other team has a period of time in which they can claim that player from us at half his current salary, with the Canadiens still resposible for paying the other half. Simply put, it's really risky to be moving non-rookie players up and down between the lower and higher leagues.

Just for the sake of completion, I should mention that injuries are an exception. If a player is recovering from a long-term injury they can play in the AHL for a while on a conditioning stint without having to worry about being lost to waivers on their way back up.

Four out of five of them tonight.

Correct, but not at halfprice.

Half-price is only when the player comes up on re-entry waivers. When we send players eligible for waivers down at the end of training camp, teams have the chance the pick them up, but also picking up the totality of their contract.

He was horrible in London last season I can tell you that. he didn't see any PK time minimal PP time and only about 12 min a game TOI in London. This was on a team that is re building.

Yep. After training camp the team has to be pared down to a 23-man roster. Players that are young enough to be playing junior hockey (20 and under) are normally returned to their junior teams when they don't make the cut. Once sent down they're generally stuck there for the rest of the year.

Older players that have contracts with the Canadiens are generally sent to our AHL affiliate, the Hamilton Bulldogs. They can then be called up throughout the year as injury replacements or what have you.

As S-bah said, however, sometimes it gets a little complicated. Once a player has reached a certain number of years/games in the league he becomes waiver elegible. That means that if he doesn't make the team and is sent down to Hamilton at the end of camp every other team in the league has a period of time in which they can claim that player from us at his current salary. That's why some of the older players have a bit of an advantage when it comes to making the team - the young guys can be moved back and forth freely without us having to worry about losing them.

Even if a player does pass through waivers and gets assigned to the AHL, in order to be called back up to Montreal he must then pass through re-entry waivers. This means that every other team has a period of time in which they can claim that player from us at half his current salary, with the Canadiens still resposible for paying the other half. Simply put, it's really risky to be moving non-rookie players up and down between the lower and higher leagues.

Just for the sake of completion, I should mention that injuries are an exception. If a player is recovering from a long-term injury they can play in the AHL for a while on a conditioning stint without having to worry about being lost to waivers on their way back up.

Thanks for the answers to my question, it's very much appreciated. So am I correct to say that if you put a player who is waiver eligible to the AHL and you then recall him, there are two windows during which you may lose him, and if you're not careful you can end up paying for a player to play at another team until that players contract expires? That's pretty scary!!!

Postgame video following Canadiens' 6-3 loss to Dallas in both teams' exhibition season opener.

Videos: Habs' Cammalleri, Diaz.

Thanks for the answers to my question, it's very much appreciated. So am I correct to say that if you put a player who is waiver eligible to the AHL and you then recall him, there are two windows during which you may lose him, and if you're not careful you can end up paying for a player to play at another team until that players contract expires? That's pretty scary!!!

That pretty well sums it up. The kick in the pants is that not only do you pay half the guys salary on re-entry,,,,it counts against your cap. It's a way of dumping an albatross contract but it will still partially haunt you for awhile.

It's nice to see most of our vets looking alright and some of our junior players turning in big games, but the crux of training camp is figuring out which bubble players are going to make this team. I'm going to conclude that based on what we've seen so far, Yemelin and Weber will make the team out of camp, giving us 7 D men. I'm also going to assume that despite Ryan White's injury, he'll be here as well and that we'll be going in with our top 12 forwards set. Our goalies are also set, which leaves us with 2 roster spots to fill (and possibly 1-2 more depending on whether Eller and Markov recover on time). Even if they are a couple of games late though, I think we'll still see the Habs retain just one more forward and one additional guy who could be a forward or D man. So how are the candidates doing:

On D

- Diaz looked decent in his first game. He is much more solid on his skates than I thought he would be and he clearly has some offensive skill. The problem is that he looked a lot like Weber and I'm not sure there's room or need for another small, right-handed, offensive D man.

- Woywitka had an up-and-down game, giving us a nice goal and some moments where he was solid on the puck. But he also had a few break-downs. He has the NHL experience though and better size than Diaz. I think at present he's a better fit for our team.

- Henry was the guy who impressed me the most of the reserve D men. He was solid at the back end and didn't make many, if any, big mistakes. I like his size and aggression, but I don't think the Habs have much intent of keeping him here.

- Nash and Mitera are outsiders right now but may still have a small chance at making the team. Everyone else at this point is likely headed back down by the end of the weekend.

Odds of making the team: Woywitka 30%, Diaz 15%, Henry 2%, Mitera 1%, Nash 1%

Up front

- Trotter showed some speed, but again the knocks on him will be a lack of size and a lack of defensive maturity.

- Palushaj has not impressed in his first two starts. Not close to what he did in camp last year, with no consistent generation of offence and a lack of creativity with the puck.

- Engqvist was even more disappointing than Palushaj. He was slow and he looked gassed. Either he's out of shape or he's not as NHL-ready as we had hoped, neither of which is good.

- Brian Willsie has some NHL experience but he didn't bring anything in his first game and he'll have to stand out more to make the squad.

- Blunden used his size a little in the first game. Not sure we'll see too much more from him skill-wise though. I'm pretty sure that what you see is what you get.

- Dumont actually looked decent to me last night. Got to the net a few times and skated well. He's still young and small, which will hurt him though.

- Gallagher looked pretty good last night too. Buzzed with the puck. But he's even younger and smaller than Dumont and is likely headed back to junior.

The other guys like Schultz, Conboy, Avstin, and Berger are likely not going to get any consideration to stay to start the year. Leblanc, coming off injury, will have to work his way up to the bigs during the season but is probably better off spending a year in Hamilton.

Odds: Trotter 25%, Engqvist 20%, Palushaj 20%, Blunden 15%, Dumont 10%, Willsie 8%, Gallagher 2%

So far, no one up front has staked a claim to that spot. We'll have to see how camp unfolds and I suspect each of these guys is going to get at least another game or two to show something.

It's nice to see most of our vets looking alright and some of our junior players turning in big games, but the crux of training camp is figuring out which bubble players are going to make this team. I'm going to conclude that based on what we've seen so far, Yemelin and Weber will make the team out of camp, giving us 7 D men. I'm also going to assume that despite Ryan White's injury, he'll be here as well and that we'll be going in with our top 12 forwards set. Our goalies are also set, which leaves us with 2 roster spots to fill (and possibly 1-2 more depending on whether Eller and Markov recover on time). Even if they are a couple of games late though, I think we'll still see the Habs retain just one more forward and one additional guy who could be a forward or D man. So how are the candidates doing:

On D

- Diaz looked decent in his first game. He is much more solid on his skates than I thought he would be and he clearly has some offensive skill. The problem is that he looked a lot like Weber and I'm not sure there's room or need for another small, right-handed, offensive D man.

- Woywitka had an up-and-down game, giving us a nice goal and some moments where he was solid on the puck. But he also had a few break-downs. He has the NHL experience though and better size than Diaz. I think at present he's a better fit for our team.

- Henry was the guy who impressed me the most of the reserve D men. He was solid at the back end and didn't make many, if any, big mistakes. I like his size and aggression, but I don't think the Habs have much intent of keeping him here.

- Nash and Mitera are outsiders right now but may still have a small chance at making the team. Everyone else at this point is likely headed back down by the end of the weekend.

Odds of making the team: Woywitka 30%, Diaz 15%, Henry 2%, Mitera 1%, Nash 1%

Up front

- Trotter showed some speed, but again the knocks on him will be a lack of size and a lack of defensive maturity.

- Palushaj has not impressed in his first two starts. Not close to what he did in camp last year, with no consistent generation of offence and a lack of creativity with the puck.

- Engqvist was even more disappointing than Palushaj. He was slow and he looked gassed. Either he's out of shape or he's not as NHL-ready as we had hoped, neither of which is good.

- Brian Willsie has some NHL experience but he didn't bring anything in his first game and he'll have to stand out more to make the squad.

- Blunden used his size a little in the first game. Not sure we'll see too much more from him skill-wise though. I'm pretty sure that what you see is what you get.

- Dumont actually looked decent to me last night. Got to the net a few times and skated well. He's still young and small, which will hurt him though.

- Gallagher looked pretty good last night too. Buzzed with the puck. But he's even younger and smaller than Dumont and is likely headed back to junior.

The other guys like Schultz, Conboy, Avstin, and Berger are likely not going to get any consideration to stay to start the year. Leblanc, coming off injury, will have to work his way up to the bigs during the season but is probably better off spending a year in Hamilton.

Odds: Trotter 25%, Engqvist 20%, Palushaj 20%, Blunden 15%, Dumont 10%, Willsie 8%, Gallagher 2%

So far, no one up front has staked a claim to that spot. We'll have to see how camp unfolds and I suspect each of these guys is going to get at least another game or two to show something.

Surprised you didn't mention Beaulieu at all... ?

I know he is just 18, but IMO he looked better than any of the other defensive prospects overall.

Surprised you didn't mention Beaulieu at all... ?

I know he is just 18, but IMO he looked better than any of the other defensive prospects overall.

I didn't mention him on purpose. I don't think he has any chance of sticking here this year. It would be a mistake to think that a good albeit not great game in the pre-season means he's ready for the NHL. He's still under-sized and we frankly have enough left-handed D men that we don't need to rush him to the NHL. He may as well suit up for a team where he's going to get ice time and arrive in the NHL when he's a little more mature.

Game preview: Canadiens-Senators

canadiens.com

Canadiens @ Senators (Preseason game #3)

Habs lineup

31 PRICE, Carey G

35 LAWSON, Nathan G

11 GOMEZ, Scott C

24 HENRY, Alex D

36 AVTSIN, Alexander RW

37 DUMONT, Gabriel C

42 TINORDI, Jarred D

45 BLUNDEN, Michael RW

46 KOSTITSYN, Andrei RW

48 DESIMONE, Philip C

52 DARCHE, Mathieu LW

59 TROTTER, Brock C

61 DIAZ, Raphael D

63 ENGQVIST, Andreas C

67 PACIORETTY, Max LW

68 WEBER, Yannick D

72 COLE, Erik RW

73 GALLAGHER, Brendan RW

74 YEMELIN, Alexei D

75 GILL, Hal D

76 SUBBAN, P.K. D

7 D men, 12 forwards

9 NHLers including Price

I didn't mention him on purpose. I don't think he has any chance of sticking here this year. It would be a mistake to think that a good albeit not great game in the pre-season means he's ready for the NHL. He's still under-sized and we frankly have enough left-handed D men that we don't need to rush him to the NHL. He may as well suit up for a team where he's going to get ice time and arrive in the NHL when he's a little more mature.

Wouldn't he be eligible to play up to nine games before being sent back to junior... why the heck did JM play him as much as he did (27+ minutes apparently) and not give another player who has a chance to stick that ice-time?

I don't think he has any chance of sticking here this year.

Same here....1-2 yrs away IMO.

Updated odds of making the team:

D

Woywitka 35%

Diaz 15%

Mitera 1%

After tonight I think any chance Henry had is gone and Nash is on the shelf so he's out of the equation too.

Up front

Engqvist 35%

Palushaj 25%

Trotter 13%

Willsie 10%

Blunden 10%

Dumont 4%

Gallagher 3%

Despite the fact Engqvist was not good tonight, it's clear the coach is giving him every chance to succeed. Palushaj also gains some ground on Trotter, who slips down after a bad outing. Dumont has done nothing to move up the list and is in danger of falling off, while Gallagher hangs around as a long shot. I still expect both to be cut, however. Willsie will likely get the next chance to make a move up the depth chart.

Game thread isn't up yet, but the lines for tonight will be:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta

Palushaj-Dumont-Trotter

Schultz-Massé-Lefebvre

DeSimone-Archambault-Moen

Beaulieu-Gorges

Specek-Woywitka

Mitera-St-Denis

The 2nd line could be Hamilton's 1st line at the end of training camp.Other than Archambault& Moen the other lines would be their 3rd&4th substituting Engqvist& Avtsin.The Habs sure have quality depth in their system,that has to be a relief for PG and JM knowing if there are injuries.They have players that can step right in without any problems as they are playing the same system in Hamilton.This all bodes great for the Habs present and future,the fans can start gearing up for another Stanley Cup its so close I can taste it.

Thanks for posting the lines :)

Not much to check player-wise tonight, unfortunately :mellow: Except Beaulieu..

Excitement-wise, maybe not. But there are still a few bubble players like Palushaj, Trotter, and Woywitka playing. So far, no one has staked a claim to that last forward spot and Weber may be losing his stake on a D spot, so there is still a lot at play. I'm also curious to see how Gio does with Cammy and Pleks. If that line does well, maybe thought is given to keeping Pacman with Gomez and Cole.

Archived