The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Training Camp/Exhibition Season

HabsRuleForever

D

Woywitka 10%

Diaz 10%

With the addition of Campoli, the odds of either guy making it go way down. Interesting to note the Habs have kept St-Denis around too, although I think this is more for experience.

Up front

Palushaj 70%

Dumont 45%

Engqvist 45%

Gallagher 20%

Blunden 15%

Willsie 5%

Trotter is demoted and officially off the list. Willsie has slid way down with some very ordinary performances and Blunden is not far behind but is being saved by his size. He's basically Moen V.2 and he seems to be having trouble staying on his feet. Palushaj's odds go up with Trotter gone. Dumont has also impressed and his odds go up too. I think he's in a dead heat with Engqvist for the last center spot while Eller and White are out.

Dumont is assigned to Hamilton, Willsie was placed on waivers with a few others (to be assigned to Hamilton too I guess). That leaves Palushaj, Engvist, Gallagher and Blunden at forward. I think St-Denis has been sent down too (not sure).

Interesting to note that the third line at practice today featured not Palushaj but Brendan Gallagher with DD and AK46. Palushaj lined up with Eller and Darche but was spelled by Yannick Weber occasionally. White and Moen remain out and Engqvist and Blunden skated on a 5th line with Bournival. Nevertheless, this bodes well for Gallagher and it looks like he may get first crack at stealing that third line spot in the game tomorrow (I don't see why he'd be practicing there if the plan wasn't to start him there tomorrow night).

On D, Alex Henry has been placed on waivers today. I imagine he and St-Denis will be heading to Bulldogs camp shortly. Diaz was the featured D man on the 2nd PP unit in practice today and he once again practiced with Spacek on the third pairing. This seems to indicate he is not only winning the battle with Woywitka for the 7th D spot (with Markov out), but that he may actually crack the starting line-up ahead of Yemelin too. I would still be surprised if Yemelin doesn't make the squad, given his right to walk if he doesn't. But once Markov is back, it appears the Habs may be looking at carrying 8 D men. Updated odds...

On D

Yemelin 90%

Diaz 85%

Woywitka 5%

Up front

Palushaj 70%

Gallagher 60%

Weber 40%

Engqvist 25%

Blunden 5%

JM said that "Gallagher will play tomorrow night and saturday night's games against Tampa, but to say ne belongs in the NHL right now is premature"

From TSN's John Lu's twitter

Thank the Lord JM doesn't rush players

Willsie, St Denis & Lawson have been send down

I liked what I saw from St Denis, much of an improvement over last year, could be a project.

It's testament to the depth the Habs have this season and the determination of the coaching personnel to the proper handling of prospects in the system,that players need to be outstanding to break the lineup.Gallagher is young and a great prospect but the Habs have a lineup that is amongst the elite teams in the league.Barring a player of Seguin or Hall's type of talent few will break the lineup straight out of junior ranks.

The Canadiens roster is inching down toward what we will see – via the miracle of television – on opening night at the ACC. Gabriel Dumont was a late cut on Monday and will join the Hamilton Bulldogs at their practice in Brossard.

Interesting to note that the third line at practice today featured not Palushaj but Brendan Gallagher with DD and AK46. Palushaj lined up with Eller and Darche but was spelled by Yannick Weber occasionally. White and Moen remain out and Engqvist and Blunden skated on a 5th line with Bournival. Nevertheless, this bodes well for Gallagher and it looks like he may get first crack at stealing that third line spot in the game tomorrow (I don't see why he'd be practicing there if the plan wasn't to start him there tomorrow night).

On D, Alex Henry has been placed on waivers today. I imagine he and St-Denis will be heading to Bulldogs camp shortly. Diaz was the featured D man on the 2nd PP unit in practice today and he once again practiced with Spacek on the third pairing. This seems to indicate he is not only winning the battle with Woywitka for the 7th D spot (with Markov out), but that he may actually crack the starting line-up ahead of Yemelin too. I would still be surprised if Yemelin doesn't make the squad, given his right to walk if he doesn't. But once Markov is back, it appears the Habs may be looking at carrying 8 D men. Updated odds...

On D

Yemelin 90%

Diaz 85%

Woywitka 5%

Up front

Palushaj 70%

Gallagher 60%

Weber 40%

Engqvist 25%

Blunden 5%

On D, you should add Weber.

On D, you should add Weber.

I listed him with the forward group because that seems to be where they're using him right now. Where he ends up is anyone's question, but the fact that he's even in this debate shows he's in danger of losing a spot he was virtually guaranteed if he had played average/decent hockey.

I listed him with the forward group because that seems to be where they're using him right now. Where he ends up is anyone's question, but the fact that he's even in this debate shows he's in danger of losing a spot he was virtually guaranteed if he had played average/decent hockey.

ok

Lines at practice today (according to rds):

Cole-Plekanec-Cammalleri

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gallagher

Kostitsyn-Desharnais-Gionta

Bournival-Engqvist-Blunden

Gorges-Campoli

Yemelin-Subban

Gill-Diaz

Some interesting changes, with Gio and Gallagher switching spots and Gill and Yemelin swapping. It'll be interesting to see how Yemelin and Subban do together.

And some notable players not looking like they're going to be suiting up tonight... Weber, Palushaj, Spacek, Darche, Woywitka. Spacek and Darche are safe and I think Woywitka's chances are slim-to-none, but I wonder what this says about where Weber and Palushaj stand.

Eller, Markov, Moen, and White still out due to injury.

Lines at practice today (according to rds):

Cole-Plekanec-Cammalleri

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gallagher

Kostitsyn-Desharnais-Gionta

Bournival-Engqvist-Blunden

Gorges-Campoli

Yemelin-Subban

Gill-Diaz

Some interesting changes, with Gio and Gallagher switching spots and Gill and Yemelin swapping. It'll be interesting to see how Yemelin and Subban do together.

And some notable players not looking like they're going to be suiting up tonight... Weber, Palushaj, Spacek, Darche, Woywitka. Spacek and Darche are safe and I think Woywitka's chances are slim-to-none, but I wonder what this says about where Weber and Palushaj stand.

Eller, Markov, Moen, and White still out due to injury.

Hard to say re: Palushaj and Weber. It's not necessarily bad, at least not for both. Take Palushaj for example: it could mean they've decided he will at minimum start the year as the 13th forward or on the 4th line and they want some additional opportunity to evaluate the other three. (Who I highly doubt will all be with the big club to start the year).

Hard to say re: Palushaj and Weber. It's not necessarily bad, at least not for both. Take Palushaj for example: it could mean they've decided he will at minimum start the year as the 13th forward or on the 4th line and they want some additional opportunity to evaluate the other three. (Who I highly doubt will all be with the big club to start the year).

I'm reasonably certain Bournival won't be here and almost as certain Blunden won't be either. It sounds like Moen will hopefully be ready for opening day and that Eller won't be far behind. So we're really only down White up front. What that means is that we may keep 3 of the bubble players for opening night but that after that, it'll be 2 at most out of Gallagher, Weber, Palushaj, Blunden, and Engqvist. But if the Habs know already that those 2 will be Weber and Palushaj, why bother playing the guys like Bournival and Blunden and Engqvist at all? Why not give the game time to guys who you're actually going to need come the start of the regular season? Because of that, I'm not convinced Palushaj and Weber have jobs locked up yet (and Weber was back on the blue line today at practice). My best guess is that 2 of Blunden, Engqvist, and Bournival will be cut after tonight and that one will get a chance to upseat Palushaj or Weber in the final exhibition game (and I'm leaning to that being Engqvist).

The pre-season has been a farce with 6 games in 7 nights. Putting out 7 or 8 NHL players out of 20 players. Basically a joke unless you are paying regular season ticket prices for exhibition hockey.

My thoughts with the above said. I thought that Tinordi and Beaulieu were good. I will not be shocked if one or both of these 1st round draft picks are playing D in Montreal sooner then expected.

I think that Diaz has been very steady. Not sure his contract status especially regarding waivers. However I would not mind Diaz as a 6th or 7th D in Montreal.

I have been far less impressed with Yemelin. Hopefully tonight with 15+ NHL players facing the TBL that his game will match his professional experience in the KHL. Based on what I understand from his time in the KHL we should have solid top 4 D in Yemelin. Just not convinced at this minute.

I was very disappointed that Markov is still injuried. I don't understand if things are just healing really slowly or if our team made a huge mistake by re-signing Markov. If Markov does not recover and play like a top 2 D then our GM made a huge mistake. Worthy of getting fired kind of mistake. I really hope to see Markov return to Montreal as a top 2 D making our team much better.

It appears that Gorges is fully healthy after his surgery. The GM can fix his mistake in re-signing Gorges to one year this summer by adding a long term extension to Gorges contract in the next few weeks.

I think that Gallagher will get a 5 to 9 game stint in Montreal. So long as Gallagher is paired the DD or Gomez good things are possible for Gallagher and our team. Putting Gallagher on the 4th line would be waste of his skills.

Can this team especially considering the style of the coach have three offensive lines? Based on lines today it appears that our coach is going to have three offensive lines. I like the idea but I am not 100% positive we have enough skill for 9 offensive players. But then again maybe with the size of the forwards and lack of defensive players like Halpern maybe the best decision is to go with 3 offensive lines. I thought that Cammi, AK46, Max Pac, and Cole have played well in the pre-season. Hopefully DD/Eller, Gomez, and Pleks can provide the passing and two way play so the wingers can score.

Is there any good source of information regarding the injuries to White, Markov, Moen, and Eller?

Are most of these injuries the type that will be ready for the 1st game?

The pre-season has been a farce with 6 games in 7 nights. Putting out 7 or 8 NHL players out of 20 players. Basically a joke unless you are paying regular season ticket prices for exhibition hockey.

My thoughts with the above said. I thought that Tinordi and Beaulieu were good. I will not be shocked if one or both of these 1st round draft picks are playing D in Montreal sooner then expected.

I think that Diaz has been very steady. Not sure his contract status especially regarding waivers. However I would not mind Diaz as a 6th or 7th D in Montreal.

I have been far less impressed with Yemelin. Hopefully tonight with 15+ NHL players facing the TBL that his game will match his professional experience in the KHL. Based on what I understand from his time in the KHL we should have solid top 4 D in Yemelin. Just not convinced at this minute.

I was very disappointed that Markov is still injuried. I don't understand if things are just healing really slowly or if our team made a huge mistake by re-signing Markov. If Markov does not recover and play like a top 2 D then our GM made a huge mistake. Worthy of getting fired kind of mistake. I really hope to see Markov return to Montreal as a top 2 D making our team much better.

It appears that Gorges is fully healthy after his surgery. The GM can fix his mistake in re-signing Gorges to one year this summer by adding a long term extension to Gorges contract in the next few weeks.

I think that Gallagher will get a 5 to 9 game stint in Montreal. So long as Gallagher is paired the DD or Gomez good things are possible for Gallagher and our team. Putting Gallagher on the 4th line would be waste of his skills.

Can this team especially considering the style of the coach have three offensive lines? Based on lines today it appears that our coach is going to have three offensive lines. I like the idea but I am not 100% positive we have enough skill for 9 offensive players. But then again maybe with the size of the forwards and lack of defensive players like Halpern maybe the best decision is to go with 3 offensive lines. I thought that Cammi, AK46, Max Pac, and Cole have played well in the pre-season. Hopefully DD/Eller, Gomez, and Pleks can provide the passing and two way play so the wingers can score.

Is there any good source of information regarding the injuries to White, Markov, Moen, and Eller?

Are most of these injuries the type that will be ready for the 1st game?

I said it before, but our biggest loss in the off-season was Jeff Halpern. Yes, Hamrlik's loss will be felt, but that's mainly because Markov is not back yet. Overall, I think a healthy Markov and Gorges stack up well against Hamrlik and Wisniewski. But we never got around to replacing Halpern in terms of a face-off guy nor a right-handed centerman nor a second PK center behind Plekanec. If anyone thinks Engqvist is ready, training camp has shown us he's not and may never be, unless he steps up his skating.

With respect to injuries, White is not expected to be re-evaluated to start skating until next week and is definitely going to miss the opener and maybe more games with his groin injury. Markov is still rehabbing, with no timetable for a definite return (although apparently, he will not miss more than a "handful" of games). Eller is back at practice and should receive clearance to play tomorrow. The chances of his playing the opener in Toronto are pretty good. Moen has a lower body injury, possibly after being hit by a Space shot. There hasn't been much of an update on him either.

I'm reasonably certain Bournival won't be here and almost as certain Blunden won't be either. It sounds like Moen will hopefully be ready for opening day and that Eller won't be far behind. So we're really only down White up front. What that means is that we may keep 3 of the bubble players for opening night but that after that, it'll be 2 at most out of Gallagher, Weber, Palushaj, Blunden, and Engqvist. But if the Habs know already that those 2 will be Weber and Palushaj, why bother playing the guys like Bournival and Blunden and Engqvist at all? Why not give the game time to guys who you're actually going to need come the start of the regular season? Because of that, I'm not convinced Palushaj and Weber have jobs locked up yet (and Weber was back on the blue line today at practice). My best guess is that 2 of Blunden, Engqvist, and Bournival will be cut after tonight and that one will get a chance to upseat Palushaj or Weber in the final exhibition game (and I'm leaning to that being Engqvist).

Engqvist seems the logical player to fill the center position,Blunden sure has been a pleasant surprise and would be a great extra forward to carry.Unless Gallagher actually takes the spot he's a long term player for sure.

I tend to agree.

Ok, here's my take on lastnight's game. For me this was the first time I got to see the new kids actually playing. My thoughts:

1. Gallagher - this kid is a real treat to watch. Apart from one give-away, he can really play! I would say that he's got more skill than Ellar (who we actually traded for). I am not of the camp that says we need to take it slow with these kids and their development. I say if they can play, then let them play.

2. Yemelin is pretty good. I think with a few more games he will really start to be a difference maker on D.

3. Diaz is like a breath of fresh air for our aging, slow defense. I would not mind it one bit if he played as a top 4.

4. Campoli was looking pretty steady out there. He had good movement. I think he was a good acquisition.

5. DD has great energy and drive. But I keep asking myself "Can this kid be successful against bigger guys?". I guess time will tell.

6. Cole seems to be playing as well as I knew he would, which is great.

7. Bournival and Blunden were almost invisible.

8. Gill - someone please remind me why we re-signed this guy. I noticed that whenever he and PK are on the ice, it seems that PK never uses Gill as a player to pass the puck to (if he was forced back), and instead tries to deke through the entire team and end up losing the puck. To me, if there's a player on the ice that can't recieve a pass, he should no longer be playing for this team! He always manages to take his compulsory hooking/grabbing/tripping call - for a big guy, I don't think I ever seen him take a roughing call. Please can he just retire and leave a spot on the team for someone who can actually contribute to the team's success, and save us the agony!

I said it before, but our biggest loss in the off-season was Jeff Halpern. Yes, Hamrlik's loss will be felt, but that's mainly because Markov is not back yet. Overall, I think a healthy Markov and Gorges stack up well against Hamrlik and Wisniewski. But we never got around to replacing Halpern in terms of a face-off guy nor a right-handed centerman nor a second PK center behind Plekanec. If anyone thinks Engqvist is ready, training camp has shown us he's not and may never be, unless he steps up his skating.

With respect to injuries, White is not expected to be re-evaluated to start skating until next week and is definitely going to miss the opener and maybe more games with his groin injury. Markov is still rehabbing, with no timetable for a definite return (although apparently, he will not miss more than a "handful" of games). Eller is back at practice and should receive clearance to play tomorrow. The chances of his playing the opener in Toronto are pretty good. Moen has a lower body injury, possibly after being hit by a Space shot. There hasn't been much of an update on him either.

I agree with you on Jeff Halpern and this seems to be overlooked. Closing out the 2009 - 2010 season the Habs brought in Moore to improve faceoff efficiency. He left and Halpern was signed. The faceoff win percentage last night was not good and with the big guns (Plek, Gomez) on the ice.

I honestly don't know what to make of the defense. Just too many unanswered questions but right now they scare me. Gill is atrocious - he was the last game of the season but he seems to get a pass. If Markov doesn't come back in short time Subban is going to have one heavy load to carry - defensively and mostly offensively. And he's the kinda guy who will try to do everything himself and dig the hole deeper.

I see nothing wrong with keeping Gallagher for a few games until some of our other bodies come back from injuries. If he does manaqge to do great in those games maybe he can steal a permanent spot but thats a big MAYBE.

I can't see Gallagher replacing anyone just yet but i do see them keeping him around for a couple games, just to get a taste of the good life. Give him something to work towards :)

Archived