The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Training Camp/Exhibition Season

HabsRuleForever

As it stands right now, the remaining players in camp are filling in as follows for missing starters:

- Engqvist for Eller

- Blunden for Moen

- Palushaj for White

- Weber as the 13th forward

The question is what happens to that 13th spot once everyone is back. Does Weber keep it or does Palushaj stay? Or Engqvist? Or do we carry 14 forwards?

As it stands right now, the remaining players in camp are filling in as follows for missing starters:

- Engqvist for Eller

- Blunden for Moen

- Palushaj for White

- Weber as the 13th forward

The question is what happens to that 13th spot once everyone is back. Does Weber keep it or does Palushaj stay? Or Engqvist? Or do we carry 14 forwards?

Weber will be here regardless on a new 2 year one way deal... unless Pierre trades him or somthing

Weber will be here regardless on a new 2 year one way deal... unless Pierre trades him or somthing

Weber gives the Habs a player that can fill-in two spots on the roster for the price of one (I think he stays barring a trade). With Markov, Moen, Eller and White healthy, there is a spot for one more roster player(per current roster according to Capgeek.com)... likely a bottom six forward IMO. I prefer Blunden (given the chance) in that role, but a center like Engqvist/Dumont may be more useful perhaps (though they would probably benefit from more time in the AHL).

Weber gives the Habs a player that can fill-in two spots on the roster for the price of one (I think he stays barring a trade). With Markov, Moen, Eller and White healthy, there is a spot for one more roster player(per current roster according to Capgeek.com)... likely a bottom six forward IMO. I prefer Blunden (given the chance) in that role, but a center like Engqvist/Dumont may be more useful perhaps (though they would probably benefit from more time in the AHL).

That's a good point. His versatility will likely be his ticket to a roster spot outside of the starting line-up.

Engqvist has been terrible the entire camp, doesnt deserve to be here or hasnt shown he can get anything done at this level

While the GDT is still not up, here are the lines we should see tonight from this morning's practice:

Forwards:

Cammalleri -Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Darche-Desharnais-Cole

Palushaj-Engqvist-Weber

Defense (obviously one of those pairs will not play, I'd bet 74-8):

Gill-Subban

Yemelin-Woywitka

Campoli-Gorges

Diaz-Spacek

While the GDT is still not up, here are the lines we should see tonight from this morning's practice:

Forwards:

Cammalleri -Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Darche-Desharnais-Cole

Palushaj-Engqvist-Weber

Defense (obviously one of those pairs will not play, I'd bet 74-8):

Gill-Subban

Yemelin-Woywitka

Campoli-Gorges

Diaz-Spacek

Spacek will go obviously because he didnt play on Thursday..most likely paired with Yemelin, Diaz and Woywitka take a seat its time for those guys to go to Hamilton now or at least one of them

Spacek will go obviously because he didnt play on Thursday..most likely paired with Yemelin, Diaz and Woywitka take a seat its time for those guys to go to Hamilton now or at least one of them

The pairings for tonight are as I have posted them above. And it's confirmed now that Yemelin and Woywitka are not playing.

MAGodin Marc Antoine Godin

Yemelin and Woywitka scratched for last pre-season game. Yannick Weber will play at forward.

The pairings for tonight are as I have posted them above. And it's confirmed now that Yemelin and Woywitka are not playing.

Personally, I think it is a mistake to play Diaz over Yemelin, especially against the Leafs. I'm assuming that the D corps we go with tonight will be the one that gets the green light for TO.

So after tonight, I think it's clear Blunden and Woywitka are done. Engqvist has been terrible and missed his assignment on the goal Lecavalier scored. Personally, I think he should be demoted too. My guess is that Palushaj and Diaz are going to make the team and I'm not sure what will happen with Weber and Yemelin. It sounds like Moen and possibly Eller will be back for the opener, so that will limit the spots for the other guys.

Almost ready to shut down this thread and move on to the real season! Very happy to see the Habs acquire Betts today and send Engqvist down. He hasn't shown he's ready for the show yet. And so after an entire camp and 8 exhibition games, the Habs didn't opt to take a single player from the AHL onto their roster this year. We've added a few players like Cole, Budaj, Yemelin, Diaz, and Betts, but as it turns out, there really wasn't a job to be had amongst all the players trying out.

Almost ready to shut down this thread and move on to the real season! Very happy to see the Habs acquire Betts today and send Engqvist down. He hasn't shown he's ready for the show yet. And so after an entire camp and 8 exhibition games, the Habs didn't opt to take a single player from the AHL onto their roster this year. We've added a few players like Cole, Budaj, Yemelin, Diaz, and Betts, but as it turns out, there really wasn't a job to be had amongst all the players trying out.

Shut er down BigTed, shut er down! :)

Archived