The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Jersey Sponsorships

kinot-1

It's only a matter of time and I hope I am not around to see it.

What I am talking about here, is putting advertising on hockey jerseys.

I picked this up from todays Toronto Star.

"The Toronto Maple Leafs have taken a first small step over the economic edge and begun making their way down the slippery slope toward European-style shirt sponsorship.

This morning, the Leafs will debut a credit-card sized patch on the chest of the team’s practice jersey advertising the Purolator brand. It’s one element of a larger sponsorship deal that has the Canadian shipping giant paying the club an amount in the low seven figures, according to MLSE sources.

The Leafs become the sixth NHL franchise to take advantage of the league’s new (and in certain U.S. markets, desperate) search for additional revenue streams.

At this point, it’s an experiment contained to morning skates and the off-season.

But this is where it starts - on a practice jersey even the die-hards don’t give a damn about. This road leads, of course, to the sacramental cloth the players wear on game days.

Shirt sponsorship in the modern, splashed-in-big-letters-across-the-front sense started in Germany’s Bundesliga in the early 70s. It was deeply unpopular. Within a decade, everyone was doing it.

For the biggest soccer clubs in Europe, it is a colossal source of revenue. Manchester City recently signed a 10-year, $625 million sponsorship deal with Etihad Airways, the major component of which is their shirt-front billboard.

Nearly every sports league in the world has sold off its uniforms. Except here.

This is the dangerous ground the NHL must now contemplate crossing while balancing several clubs in dangerous financial decline in one hand, and tradition in the other.

History has generally shown that, in that fight, money wins."

• 2 weeks later...

I hope this doesn't happen. It would just be ugly in my opinion. The practice jerseys, whatever. But I wonder if the NHL will regulate (forbid) major advertising on jerseys. I doubt it. IMO it's just a matter of time before it's like soccer. I can't see it becoming like European hockey with advertisements everywhere, but a company name on the front of the jersey is believable, and likely. I'd imagine we would be among the last teams in the league to do it (if at all), because the Canadiens already make piles of money and the storied franchise stuff the organization likes to advertise with.

I hope this doesn't happen. It would just be ugly in my opinion. The practice jerseys, whatever. But I wonder if the NHL will regulate (forbid) major advertising on jerseys. I doubt it. IMO it's just a matter of time before it's like soccer. I can't see it becoming like European hockey with advertisements everywhere, but a company name on the front of the jersey is believable, and likely. I'd imagine we would be among the last teams in the league to do it (if at all), because the Canadiens already make piles of money and the storied franchise stuff the organization likes to advertise with.

I doubt the league in general would bother, to be honest.

The professional sports leagues in North America (okay, hockey and football) are VERY profitable already and would not go for putting advertisements all over their jerseys. Especially the main jerseys as these are considered by many to be hallowed objects that should not be tampered with or sullied with cheap advertisements.

With revenue sharing in the league pretty much every team is able to get by, not to mention all the advertising done during games through the dasher boards, game screens, booths in hallways, tickets, etc.

I doubt the league in general would bother, to be honest.

The professional sports leagues in North America (okay, hockey and football) are VERY profitable already and would not go for putting advertisements all over their jerseys. Especially the main jerseys as these are considered by many to be hallowed objects that should not be tampered with or sullied with cheap advertisements.

With revenue sharing in the league pretty much every team is able to get by, not to mention all the advertising done during games through the dasher boards, game screens, booths in hallways, tickets, etc.

+1

and cool new avatar :D

Archived