The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Racisim? Detroit Playing Philly @ London, Ont.

kinot-1

Thurs. night was a grim day in hockey. Here in London, the Flyers were playing Detroit. Wayne Simmonds (who is black), was in the shootout, after a tie game. As he picked up the puck and went in on the goalie, a banana was thrown into his path as he went in on the goalie.

This is NOT acceptable. I feel ashamed that in this day and age, racisim is still with us, and most of all, it happened here, where I live. :angry: According to the newspaper, a lot of the fans were disgusted as well.

LONDON, Ont. - Philadelphia Flyers winger Wayne Simmonds says he has experienced racism throughout his life and hopes what happened during a shootout loss against the Detroit Red Wings Thursday night wasn't another example of it.

The rangy forward, who scored in the last minute of regulation play to send the exhibition game into overtime and ultimately a shootout, took the first shot of the tie-breaker and admitted a bit of shock when a banana came flying into his path as he zeroed in on Detroit netminder Jordan Pearce.

"I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact I'm black," the Toronto native said. "I certainly hope not. When you're black, you kind of expect (racist) things. You learn to deal with it."

Kevin Weekes, a former NHL goaltender and current CBC colour commentator who is black, expressed his disgust over the incident on his Twitter account.

"For those that asked: I'm extremely disappointed with what happened to Wayne Simmonds tonight in London Ont," he posted. "We've taken HUGE steps to grow the game of hockey,as I speak Willie O'Ree and I are in D.C attending the Black Congressional Caucus on behalf of the NHL & ironically this takes place."

San Jose Sharks forward Logan Couture, who grew up near London, posted: "Wayne Simmonds is a good friend of mine. To hear what happened tonight to him in my hometown is awful. No need for this in sports, or life."

The Red Wings showed considerably more cohesiveness than the Flyers, who were playing their third game in three nights and go again against the Wings in Detroit Friday night. Some of that could be attributed to the massive house-cleaning the Flyers did in the off-season.

Simmonds is among seven newcomers, brought in to replace a total of nine players who have departed through trades or free agency. He brings a toughness and durability after playing in 89 straight games for the Los Angeles Kings, where he was third in penalty minutes.

As for his scoring in this one, he'll take them however they come. His shot from the corner went in off Pearce.

"I just fired it hoping a teammate could deflect it; it went in off the goalie's inside pad. But I'll take it. As they say, it's not how, it's how many."

The banana rattled him, he said, and his only thought was to get off a shot.

"It shocked me and knew I had to keep going and get a shot off. It was certainly unusual."

The Red Wings emerged 4-3 winners after dominating play for most of three periods. Darren Helm caught the Flyers flat-footed while killing off a penalty when he stripped Graydon Coburn of the puck at centre ice and zipped in to roof the puck over Mike Leighton's shoulder mid-way through the first period.

Valtteri Filppula gave the Wings a two-goal spread in the second until James van Reinsdyk snapped a rebound past Detroit starter Ty Conklin. Ian White pumped in a power-play screened shot early in the third period and the Wings appeared to be on their way.

But their defensive zone control they exhibited until then seemed to evaporate in the late going and Matt Carle on a screened power play shot, then Simmonds' score, extended the game.

The regular pre-season "home" game the Flyers have played at the 9,090 capacity John Labatt Centre since it was built in 2002 became Detroit's "home" game for this one. The arena is operated by Global Spectrum, a subsidiary of Flyers' parent company Comcast-Spectacor.

A crowd of 7,427 fans loudly backed Detroit and were invited on the arena public address system to consider various ticket packages to Wings' games.

This is NOT acceptable. I feel ashamed that in this day and age, racisim is still with us, and most of all, it happened here, where I live. :angry: According to the newspaper, a lot of the fans were disgusted as well.

+1

It is indeed a very sad display. Having said that - there is a lot of hatred in the world whether it be classified as racism or just some sort of opposition to cultural diversity.

Some in the fanbase of the Montreal Canadiens and media are not exempt. Some present Habs and former Habs have been treated pretty shabbily and I speculate the reason is that those players come from different backgrounds other than North American. I don't mean to point fingers at Montreal but it is a fanbase and organization rich with history and I think sometimes the fanbase and media are not as quick to welcome "intruders" who are perceived to be very different than the culture that surrounds the organization.

Thurs. night was a grim day in hockey. Here in London, the Flyers were playing Detroit. Wayne Simmonds (who is black), was in the shootout, after a tie game. As he picked up the puck and went in on the goalie, a banana was thrown into his path as he went in on the goalie.

Born and raised and still living in London this doesn't surprise me one iota honestly. My oldest daughter is in highschool and it happes at her school day in and day out same with the public schools you can't tell me these kids don't learn this crap from their parents.

People are overeacting my god its just a banana, that hit by forward Jody Shelley should be on the headlines not a banana.

Throwing a banana at a black player infers that said player is a monkey, it is a racist antic. I'm not about to sit here and type out the history behind it all, but I suggest you educate yourself a little on the subject before you sit there and say that people are over reacting to the incident. It is absolutely disgusting that in 2011 this kind of act would even happen. It's a blemish on the NHL and fans of hockey. It shows that people who like hockey haven't evolved enough to understand that this kind of this should NEVER happen. I'm actually a little shocked at your comment.

i just started a book about the civil war where a soldier from michigan while on horse is ordered/told by a black soldier that only an ambulance, courrier, or so can go down this particular road and the michigan soldier pulls out his saber and kills him on the spot.

to say that racism isn't THE major problem in the united states at least is just plain wrong, at least to my mind.

Agreed RSD, is there any news on if this person has been caught or will we ever know.

The person, probably just one idiot or a group of friends, will mostly likely never be caught. This is the most unfortunate part about it all. I hope they are caught though, because they need to realize what they did was/is not a joke and isn't being treated as one.

The person, probably just one idiot or a group of friends, will mostly likely never be caught. This is the most unfortunate part about it all. I hope they are caught though, because they need to realize what they did was/is not a joke and isn't being treated as one.

Maybe, just maybe, since this is the digital age somebody caught it on a phone or something but I doubt it. I don't think bananas are part of the arena's menu so it is obviously premeditated which makes this so much more awful (although alcohol may have played a small part).

Disgusting act. I was surprised to hear that it happened in Ontario, that kind of racism is rare in Canada...or so I thought. My opinion of Ontario goes down yet another notch.

I assure you that it is not only Ontario, but Canada as a whole and it is not as rare as you think.

i find people are too quick to play the race card.

It did happen during the shootout, so just possibly, could it be a loyal detroit fan who just wanted to distract the shooter(regardless of the colour of his skin) and had nothing to do with race?

I know this thing happens all the time in the minors (blacks being singled out-bottles and cans thrown at them as they get off the ice), but just cos something happens to a black player, we can't automatically assume it's a racial thing. Maybe the person just doesn't like the visiting team and it has nothing to do with race, more the colour of the jersey.

I've said this before on these boards, but being an English speaking person in Quebec, there are many times I could use the language card. Like the kid at the gas station was rude to me cos I spoke to him in English... Maybe the kid is just a brat and rude to everyone.

Not everything is about race, language or sexual orientation. Some people are just rude, arrogant and/or an *****.

There's no way of knowing if the banana would've been thrown had it not been Simmonds shot. Like I said before, maybe the person who threw the banana was more concerned with the colour of the jersey and the colour of Simmonds skin was irrelevant.

This said, if it was a racial attack, it has no place in professional sports. it's time that hockey fans join the 21st century.

There's a French journalist in Quebec who said openly several times that French players are being singled out.

Has it come to the point where you can't body check or cut a player from a national team cos he's black or french cos someone somewhere will scream racism?

Racism is a huge issue, but let's make sure it's actually racism we're dealing with before we call it racism.

I'm a typical fan and I'd like to think that most fans share my view. I don't care if our hockey players are black, Czech, Russian, French or english as long as they can contribute to the team. The only thing that matters to me is the logo on their chests, not their skin tone or their nationality.

I think we have to keep things in perspective here. Yes, the incident was disgusting and low and shouldn't have happened. However it was, I believe, the act of one individual. An idiot with little or no respect for others or themselves. We should not look upon the NHL or Ontario in a different light because of this one incident. It is not a problem specific to the NHL, Ontario or even Canada, it happens all over the world. Sadly, there are and always will be people who will always find a reason to target people, be it race, skin colour or religion. I have seen several incidents in Europe where individuals have been targeted on a sports field because of the colour of their skin, and on a far larger scale than what happened in London. A lot of work has gone on to make people more aware of the problem, and I do believe that over the years things have improved, but to cut it out completely I think will be impossible. There will always be some idiot, or idiots, who will be trying to impress their mates, or just have that pure hatred within them. I do hope they can identify the individual involved in this incident, and take any appropriate action. I'm unsure of Canadian law, so am unsure of what actions can be taken, if any!!!! And as Firstar says, it may not even have been a racist act!!!!

It did happen during the shootout, so just possibly, could it be a loyal detroit fan who just wanted to distract the shooter(regardless of the colour of his skin) and had nothing to do with race?

I know this thing happens all the time in the minors (blacks being singled out-bottles and cans thrown at them as they get off the ice), but just cos something happens to a black player, we can't automatically assume it's a racial thing. Maybe the person just doesn't like the visiting team and it has nothing to do with race, more the colour of the jersey.

I've said this before on these boards, but being an English speaking person in Quebec, there are many times I could use the language card. Like the kid at the gas station was rude to me cos I spoke to him in English... Maybe the kid is just a brat and rude to everyone.

Not everything is about race, language or sexual orientation. Some people are just rude, arrogant and/or an *****.

There's no way of knowing if the banana would've been thrown had it not been Simmonds shot. Like I said before, maybe the person who threw the banana was more concerned with the colour of the jersey and the colour of Simmonds skin was irrelevant.

This said, if it was a racial attack, it has no place in professional sports. it's time that hockey fans join the 21st century.

There's a French journalist in Quebec who said openly several times that French players are being singled out.

Has it come to the point where you can't body check or cut a player from a national team cos he's black or french cos someone somewhere will scream racism?

Racism is a huge issue, but let's make sure it's actually racism we're dealing with before we call it racism.

I'm a typical fan and I'd like to think that most fans share my view. I don't care if our hockey players are black, Czech, Russian, French or english as long as they can contribute to the team. The only thing that matters to me is the logo on their chests, not their skin tone or their nationality.

I agree. I hate when people play the race card for no reason, just because they can't get their way or something like this happens. Though if this was racism, it is disguting and doesn't belong in hockey.

What are the odds? How many time do we see somebody throwing something on the ice during a shootout? That's pretty rare to start with. So what are the chances that a guy bring an object with a racist meaning (sorry I don't know how to say it correctly in english) and throw it at the exact moment that the only black guy playing this game(I couldn't find if he was the only one but I guess he was) was alone at the center of the rink? Honestly.

I don't know if the person who did that really hate peoples of other races or if he's just too dumb to realize the consequences of his gesture. But telling that the race of the player might not be in concern is refusing seeing the truth.

If it was a glass of beer or anything else OK, but it was a banana. Who the hell goes to a hockey game with a banana?

I don't see what the location of the incident (Ontario) has to do with the act itself. Unfortunately a few idiots live in our Province too. They dont need to pass an I.Q.test to live here.

see? it doesn't matter if it was racism or not by the perpetuating disturbances on the ice because we know that it will be afforded a certain review- or look at it this way- when i signed the card converting to the bahai religion i knew what i was doing. what matters is is that's its racism once it happens, in other words, by virtue of the fact that it can be avoided easily- and if the perpetrator took the same amount of time to think about what it might mean as what he might do well then nobody would think anything.

I don't see what the location of the incident (Ontario) has to do with the act itself. Unfortunately a few idiots live in our Province too. They dont need to pass an I.Q.test to live here.

I think it gives the city and to a lesser extent the province a black eye. It's just very sad that these acts of prejudice take place in this day and age.

see? it doesn't matter if it was racism or not by the perpetuating disturbances on the ice because we know that it will be afforded a certain review- or look at it this way- when i signed the card converting to the bahai religion i knew what i was doing. what matters is is that's its racism once it happens, in other words, by virtue of the fact that it can be avoided easily- and if the perpetrator took the same amount of time to think about what it might mean as what he might do well then nobody would think anything.

I think that this is the most important part about it all. It's racism once it happens. This person picked his/her time to throw the banana. Simmonds didn't just materialize out of thin air. They knew what connotation their action would take, if they want to claim different that's just trying to get out of the situation.

Also, Simmonds didn't play the race card at all here. He didn't skate off the ice, he finished his play. It doesn't matter where you are in this world, throwing a banana at a black person is going to have the same reaction, as it should. It was probably some stupid punk kid who thought it would be funny. The point being the person who did this was conscious to the fact that throwing a banana at said player would have this reaction. We're not living in 1965 where these kinds of actions can be explained by ignorance and even then that was an ignorant excuse. Simmonds didn't pull the race card here, he didn't say "oh I couldn't take my shot because a banana was thrown on the ice at me". The idiot who threw the banana at the black player is the one who dropped the race card in this situation.

Throwing a banana at a black player infers that said player is a monkey, it is a racist antic. I'm not about to sit here and type out the history behind it all, but I suggest you educate yourself a little on the subject before you sit there and say that people are over reacting to the incident. It is absolutely disgusting that in 2011 this kind of act would even happen. It's a blemish on the NHL and fans of hockey. It shows that people who like hockey haven't evolved enough to understand that this kind of this should NEVER happen. I'm actually a little shocked at your comment.

Im well aware of what they meant by it. If the fan threw the banana at a white hockey player nobody would care.

Im well aware of what they meant by it. If the fan threw the banana at a white hockey player nobody would care.

I know you know what it means :) however I don't get your arguement.

The fact this "person" threw it specifically at Simmonds means he/she had every intention of being racist & this is unacceptable. I don't think this person would bring a banana to the game to throw it at a white hocley player.

I'm wondering if Simmonds doesn't play the shoot-out that this even happens. Yet the thought would still be there even if the opportunity wasn't.

I think Simmons reaction is the right one,the banana didn't physically hurt anyone,so it is best to just ignore it,this guy or whoever is proberbly loving the fact that he caused all this uproar,he is beneath contempt AND NOT WORTH THE EFFORT,

GO HABS GO :angry: :angry:

Archived