The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal signs Chris Campoli to a 1 year deal.

jedimaas

With Andrei Markov's status to start the season up in the air, the Montreal Canadiens added some blue line depth on Monday by signing Chris Campoli to a one-year, $1.75 million contract.

Campoli, who played with the Ottawa Senators and Chicago Blackhawks last season, was a restricted free agent scheduled for an arbitration hearing on August 3.

But the Blackhawks were not prepared to pay the arbitration award. As a result, the hearing was moved up and the two sides agreed to a $2.5 million settlement. The Blackhawks walked away from the decision, making Campoli an unrestricted free agent.

Campoli scored one goal and six assists in 19 games with the Blackhawks last season. The Blackhawks acquired him from the Ottawa Senators at the trade deadline for forward Ryan Potulny and a conditional second-round draft pick.

Between the Senators and Blackhawks last season, Campoli potted four goals and 17 assists in 77 games. He has scored 33 goals and 102 assists in 397 career games with the Senators, Blackhawks and Islanders.

More details to follow.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376815

Interesting move...

Yeah, I dont think many would suggest that Campoli would in any way be a substitute for markov...aside from maybe those employed by the Toronto Sports Network. lol.

That said, i think he has the potential to be a top 4 (well, a #4 to be exact). Would have liked to have seen us sign a true #3 but he definitely ranks higher up the charts for me than a lot of our other dmen. I dont mind the signing, I just am unsure what we're going to do with the glut of 3rd pairing guys we have.

Wait, wait wait! I have a plan. Hopefully PG is thinking the same thing. We use him until Markov is back. Then when Markov is back and our young D develop, trade him for whatever we could get, a 3rd a 4th or something like that. We get higher in the draft and we get an insurance policy until Markov is back!

Really, another 3rd pairing defenceman?

What's this say about Markov?

I was thinking the same thing. Another bottom-pairing D-man... :( What's the point really? Is he going to play the powerplay, or something. Don't we already use Yannick Weber in that sort of limited capacity?

Looks like they don't have much faith in Yemelin, weber or any other young D...unless Markov will be out longer than expected.

Either way, it's kind of disconcerting. Markov could be gone longer than expected, or the team has little faith in Yemelin, Weber, Spacek, etc. Ugh, I'm not sure how I feel about this signing.

Yeah, I dont think many would suggest that Campoli would in any way be a substitute for markov...aside from maybe those employed by the Toronto Sports Network. lol.

That said, i think he has the potential to be a top 4 (well, a #4 to be exact). Would have liked to have seen us sign a true #3 but he definitely ranks higher up the charts for me than a lot of our other dmen. I dont mind the signing, I just am unsure what we're going to do with the glut of 3rd pairing guys we have.

I agree with you Jed, don't think this was about finding a replacement for Markov, but does give us an experienced Dman in Marky's absence. Although, makes me wonder if Markov is in worse shape than we thought.

Not sure this reflects on Weber and/or Yemelin's play over the past week. It does make me question Markov's health though. Hope this doesn't mean Markov's return is father than previously expected.

Imo, it's a depth move. Let's face it, apart from Gorges most of our vets are in their twilight years. Campoli gives us experience without all the mileage. A few of our young dmen stuck out for me, but are still a few years away from making the team. I feel Yemelin should make the team this season, but won't be playing a prominent role on our blueline.

This move does clog up our lower pairings and I really wonder who our top pairing dmen will be (PK and Gorges-?).

I was thinking the same thing. Another bottom-pairing D-man... :( What's the point really? Is he going to play the powerplay, or something. Don't we already use Yannick Weber in that sort of limited capacity?

Either way, it's kind of disconcerting. Markov could be gone longer than expected, or the team has little faith in Yemelin, Weber, Spacek, etc. Ugh, I'm not sure how I feel about this signing.

Well from what I've seen, and people have stated Weber has been pretty underwhelming so it could have a lot to do with that.

As for him being another bottom pairing DMan, it's true, he is but to be completely fair he's a different kind then what we have right now in that he's more of a puck mover and we definitely needed that after Markov and Subban. The hope was that Weber could do it but the organization may not feel that he can.

This may not bode well for where Markov is, but it's tough to acquire useful DMen in season, last year Campoli went for a 2nd at the deadline. This could just be a case of, with the way last year went, it doesn't hurt to have depth that only costs us cap space (which we have plenty of).

With Andrei Markov's status to start the season up in the air, the Montreal Canadiens added some blue line depth on Monday by signing Chris Campoli to a one-year, $1.75 million contract.

Campoli,

With Markov's uncertainly,guess its a good move....trying to cover all bases here I guess.

unless Markov will be out longer than expected.

I am nervous about this....though strangely not surprised.

Sorry Markie.<_<

Imo, it's a depth move.

Good

Interesting signing as it could mean-

A- Markov's knee not healing as well as expected

B- Emelin, Diaz and Weber not impressing the staff much

or

C- All of the above.

Either way, I think this shows PG's not ready to go back the same path as last year, where he had to dish out several picks in trades for depth defensemen due to injuries suffered by our own defensive corpse. I don't see how I could criticize this move. We had cap space, and picked up an asset for nothing but money and who could eventually turn into a possible asset down the line.

Im not against this signing, surprising but good news imo to have more depth that isnt 35+

I think that was one of the motives behind the signing. Habs blueline is either vets 35 years and up or under the age of 25 (with the exception of Gorges who's coming back from season ending injury). Campoli gives us one more dman between the ages of 25-33 with NHL experience.

We do have Woywitka who's between 25-33, but in actuality he's spent most of his career in the American league. He lacks the NHL experience of Gorges and Campoli.

The loss of Wiz and the health concerns surrounding Gorges and Marky leaves us with a blueline that is either past their prime-a year or so away from retirement- or young dmen with less than a few years at the NHL level.

I think all of us agree that this arouses suspicions of what state Markov's knee is in. As it stands right now, I don't know that Campoli is much of a step up over Spacek or Yemelin, and as was pointed out, his being a lefty means it would just force yet another player over to the wrong side of the ice if the plan is to use him in place of Weber. I don't even know if Campoli is that much better than Woywitka. So as a short term move, it doesn't make much sense. The only way this deal makes any kind of sense is if the Habs see a longer-term (meaning at least 10 games) hole on the left side of their D for an offensive defenceman and to me that suggests they are concerned about Markov. The other question is whether PK Subban is in fact dealing with a more serious injury than we think. If the Habs expected both Subban and Makov to miss even a handful of games, then they may have wanted another vet to thow onto the PP.

All in all, I think this signing feels a lot like when the Habs reached out to take MAB a couple of years ago, after Markov went down. He was by no means as complete a player as Makov, but he filled that one niche on the PP and perhaps that is what the Habs are doing with Campoli. I honestly don't know what to make of this signing yet because although I think he may be slightly more useful than Spacek, Woywitka, or Weber, I'm not sure he's the type of player we needed.

I think all of us agree that this arouses suspicions of what state Markov's knee is in. As it stands right now, I don't know that Campoli is much of a step up over Spacek or Yemelin, and as was pointed out, his being a lefty means it would just force yet another player over to the wrong side of the ice if the plan is to use him in place of Weber. I don't even know if Campoli is that much better than Woywitka. So as a short term move, it doesn't make much sense. The only way this deal makes any kind of sense is if the Habs see a longer-term (meaning at least 10 games) hole on the left side of their D for an offensive defenceman and to me that suggests they are concerned about Markov. The other question is whether PK Subban is in fact dealing with a more serious injury than we think. If the Habs expected both Subban and Makov to miss even a handful of games, then they may have wanted another vet to thow onto the PP.

All in all, I think this signing feels a lot like when the Habs reached out to take MAB a couple of years ago, after Markov went down. He was by no means as complete a player as Makov, but he filled that one niche on the PP and perhaps that is what the Habs are doing with Campoli. I honestly don't know what to make of this signing yet because although I think he may be slightly more useful than Spacek, Woywitka, or Weber, I'm not sure he's the type of player we needed.

I don't think so either. I think it was more along the lines of, he was available and for the right price. As aforementioned, he's not a wet behind the ears rookie or an over the hill vet.

The left handed shot does force one of our dman to play on the opposite wing. An area that experienced forwards will likely exploit.

Does anyone else smell that there's a trade in the lurks. I'm thinking maybe Weber has not done enough to impress and along with another forward we'd get something else...maybe a true top 4 D-man

I may have been inclined to agree with you before we acquired campoli. Weber really isn't going to get us much in return. To get a true top 4, we'd have to give up weber and someone who's in our top 6 or very promising dman like Tinordi, Yemelin or Beaulieu.

It's always a possibility, but don't see it happening.

Campoli is our top 4 dman.

I see this as a real panic move. We took a real gamble on Markov and i am not sure why!

We have one top 4 deeman and he is only 22.

We have a log jam of number 5, 6 and 7th deeman costing the team over 12 million in cap space.

Wiz, Hammer would of at least given us 3 guys who could play top 4 minutes going into the regualr season then you would mind seeing a signing like this....but geez we have nothing on dee nothing....and all because we focused on markov when we should of moved forward from that ..

I may have been inclined to agree with you before we acquired campoli. Weber really isn't going to get us much in return. To get a true top 4, we'd have to give up weber and someone who's in our top 6 or very promising dman like Tinordi, Yemelin or Beaulieu.

It's always a possibility, but don't see it happening.

Campoli is our top 4 dman.

:blink:

1.75M sure doesn't get you what it use too.

IMO, this move is questionable but understandable. IT definitely speaks poorly about ALL of our young borderline defenceman : Yemelin, Weber, Diaz, Woywitka, St-Denis etc... It also is concerning because he is yet another underwhelming Left handed d-man.

As stated several times as a PP point-man I have no issues, my question is what do you do with everybody? I like everyone else am going to assume this move means no Markov until at least Halloween, maybe US Thanksgiving. Even if that's the case, how are you lining everybody up? Spacek, Weber, Yemelin?

Tell me if you've read this scouting report in Montreal before:

Chris Campoli

Strengths

Great in the offensive zone, very good at sneaking in the back door

Good skater.

Good shot

Weaknesses

Undersized.

Struggles against big physical forwards.

Below average in the defensive zone.

General Comments: A very good offensive defenseman, smart breakout passes, and knows when to pinch in the offensive zone. However, due to his size will struggle in the defensive zone, especially against big physical forwards.

Is this what they'll do to start?

Cammy - Pleks - Cole

Pacs - Gomez - Gionta

Darche - Desharnais - Kostitsyn

Moen - White - Weber

Gill - Subban

Campoli - Gorges

Yemelin - Spacek

That's assuming the 3 fwds that are banged up all make it back in time. Eller won't start the season. I don't see Palushaj or Enqvist making the team. I'd rather Weber play 4th line RW than Palushaj so that he can slide back to the 2nd wave point. The idea would be to have Campoli feeding Subban for one-timers on the first wave I suppose, with Weber and Spacek on the second.

Archived