The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs claim Blair Betts

roy_133

Strong on the PK, above 50% in the circle so that helps. Apparently he was starting to break down last year so let's hope he's healthy. The cap hit is too cheap to not see what he's got.

If he is as good as advertised, I hope this isn't another Halpern/Dominic Moore situation,,,,where we keep him for a year and then let him walk.

From CBS Sports.com

During the 2010-11 season Betts spent over 34 percent of his total ice-time playing in situations with his team was down a man. To put that in perspective, if you were to look at the top-25 forwards that averaged the most shorthanded ice-time per game last season, the next closest forward was Anaheim's Todd Marchant at just over 27 percent. Betts' teammate, Darroll Powe, Edmonton's Colin Fraser and Pittsburgh's Craig Adams all came in at just over 25 percent.

Since becoming a regular NHL player with the Flames during the 2003-04 season, he's consistently been one of the top penalty killing options on every team he's played on, with those units typically finishing near the top-10 in the league (the average finish of the team's he's played on in penalty killing percentage has been 9th).

It can be an extremely valuable, but thankless, role that doesn't bring much attention, and few players do it as often -- or as well -- as Betts.

I feel like it will be one of those Dominic Moore, Glen Metropolit, Jeff Halpern situations, but I'm fine with that. Blair Betts' addition won't make or break this club. Hopefully he contributes while he's here, but I wouldn't expect it to be for longer than a year.

Sounds good to me! :D

It would be one hell of a line.

Really surprised for 2 reasons: # 1- PG ACTUALLY did something we ALL wanted and #2- Why would Philly let him walk in the first place?

5 odd million to Bryzgalov 3odd million to Jagr...They didn't have the cap space...With Betts off the books they have 65,000 in cap space left.

It would be one hell of a line.

5 odd million to Bryzgalov 3odd million to Jagr...They didn't have the cap space...With Betts off the books they have 65,000 in cap space left.

Gotcha, They also don't have enough money for Brayden Schenn it looks like. Philly actually has a plethora of forwards and virtually no cap space. They seem like a good target for another roster move.

Gotcha, They also don't have enough money for Brayden Schenn it looks like. Philly actually has a plethora of forwards and virtually no cap space. They seem like a good target for another roster move.

Apparently PHI is sending Brayden to the AHL jusy for 1 game because he has a bonus in his contract if he plays 25 mins in all 82!

Are the Flyers ever going to win a faceoff???? They lost their second, third, and fourth line centers in the off season and gained Maxim Talbot and two rookies in return. For that matter, are they ever goin to kill a penalty? They lost Betts, Richards, and Powe and gained no PK forwards in return. This should be a fun year to bash those experts who LOOOOOOOOOOOVE the Flyers.

Their loss, our gain, I love Betts and I think he's exactly the depth forward we needed. Good job PG!

Guest Regis2

Sounds like a good pick up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blair_Betts

He was one of the Rangers most consistent faceoff men with 52.3 percent of faceoffs won. He was first on the team with 1186 faceoffs taken. He was also sixth on the team, first among forwards, with 98 blocked shots and led the team with 276 minutes and 42 seconds of short handed time on the ice. In the 2008-09 NHL season, Betts played as one of the Rangers' alternate captains while Scott Gomez was injured.

Recently, TSN hockey analyst Pierre McGuire declared Betts "the most underrated player in the league". Praise continued for Betts on January 24, 2009 when Larry Brooks, columnist for The New York Post, wrote that Betts and teammate Fredrik Sjöström could be the best penalty kill tandem in Rangers history. As of then, the penalty kill was a franchise high of 87.6 percent.[1]

I'm not very happy we didnt try to sign Drury or Bolland.

I'd stay clear of injury prone Drury.<_<

Sounds like a good pick up

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Blair_Betts

He was one of the Rangers most consistent faceoff men with 52.3 percent of faceoffs won. He was first on the team with 1186 faceoffs taken. He was also sixth on the team, first among forwards, with 98 blocked shots and led the team with 276 minutes and 42 seconds of short handed time on the ice. In the 2008-09 NHL season, Betts played as one of the Rangers' alternate captains while Scott Gomez was injured.

Recently, TSN hockey analyst Pierre McGuire declared Betts "the most underrated player in the league". Praise continued for Betts on January 24, 2009 when Larry Brooks, columnist for The New York Post, wrote that Betts and teammate Fredrik Sjöström could be the best penalty kill tandem in Rangers history. As of then, the penalty kill was a franchise high of 87.6 percent.[1]

Don't know a lot about him to be honest....but many here seem pleased...so good.

A line like:

Moen - Betts - White

That might become a very good 4th line that in some games will get 3rd line minutes. Tough players who can play defence. Not sure they have much offense skill but that is not their role. Their role is to crash and hit the other team. Maybe throw a few punches. And at least two of these players are very good on the PK which should help Pleks and Gomez from spending too much time on the PK which in some games makes them too tired to push the offense.

A lot of people think that the Bruins did so well because they had a solid line of grinders that worn out the other team D in the playoffs. It is not a bad idea to copy the success.

I'm not very happy we didnt try to sign Drury or Bolland. This finally gives us a good physical shutdown line with Moen White/Darche and Betts!

I'd stay clear of injury prone Drury.<_<

Drury retired.

As for the deal, I am happy & I think it addresses exactly what this team needed, but once again it goes back to what a number of us were saying: guys like this, while important pieces of the puzzle, will be available later on in the year. In a nutshell, the differences between Gauthier & Gainey's plans are evident when looking at this waiver signing vs. Gainey signing moen to decent money, early on in the UFA race.

Good job Pierre. You made the moves you needed early in the summer (Cole) and then you waited for things to even out & were patient enough to find (at least on paper) a perfect fit.

I've been ranting about how we should get Betts in the If I Were GM thread and am thrilled that we got him. I'm not very happy we didnt try to sign Drury or Bolland. This finally gives us a good physical shutdown line with Moen White/Darche and Betts!

For the record, this was supposed to say I'm NOW very happy we didnt try to sign Drury...(not NOT very happy)

I am indeed very happy with the signing and think he is better that any 4th liner we could have gotten through free agency.

My bad :lol:

Looking at his stats... it's quite hard to see what kind of role he had; limited ice-time, low points, below-average +/-, disciplined (low PIM). He's not a bully that's for sure.

I wonder if he's going to turn out to be some sort of Darche? A 4th liner who isn't there just for hitting and fighting.

Obviously a great move to fill the the 4th line. I'm assuming Eller and Desharnais will play on the same line then :P

Archived