The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Blair Betts

That didn't take very long! Nice to see it here. I don't recall ever being this happy about a waiver wire pickup, either this summer has been too long, my preseason obsession is unhealthy or this really is that good of a move.

I choose to accept option 3 :)

That didn't take very long! Nice to see it here. I don't recall ever being this happy about a waiver wire pickup, either this summer has been too long, my preseason obsession is unhealthy or this really is that good of a move.

I choose to accept option 3 :)

I agree. And I think a certain Glen Metropolit showed us how valuable a waiver wire pickup can be when it fits a team need. B)

Welcome Blair....to our habs.

big guy

The bigger...the better.;)

Real good pick up by Gauts.

• big mother (Betts, not his mother; I don't know how big she is)
  • very good at face-offs
  • excellent PK man (2nd lowest GAA for PK'ers last season, with those voer 500 minutes TOI) ... I read in an article today.

When it is PK time, either:

• send out Betts first (lighten this PK load of Plek's, which I've never been all that keen on); or
  • send Betts out 2nd after Pleks ... nice one-two

Plays into Martin's strategies: (keys are goaltending and special teams).

Just really like this pick-up.

Pretty happy about this signing! I don't know Betts real well but I seem to remember that he hits a lot and he is pretty big for a hab. He must hit clean too because his penalty minutes are very low. I'll be curious to see how his penalty minutes look after a year of playing with the habs in comparison with his yearly average.

So does this mean that either Desharnais or Eller (when he returns) will be pushed to the wing?

It seems likely that they'd play together in some capacity with either Kostitsyn or Cole on line 3.

Pretty happy about this signing! I don't know Betts real well but I seem to remember that he hits a lot and he is pretty big for a hab. He must hit clean too because his penalty minutes are very low. I'll be curious to see how his penalty minutes look after a year of playing with the habs in comparison with his yearly average.

He actually doesn't hit that much, he's a big body but in my viewings of him he's more of a smart, positional type forward than a big, bang and crash type. That actually fits perfectly with the Martin way of thinking.

It seems likely that they'd play together in some capacity with either Kostitsyn or Cole on line 3.

I really hope we don't relegate Cole to the 3rd line. AK has had every opportunity to prove himself on the first line, and I personally think he's much better when his level of opponent is a little lower and he's not subjected to the pressure of top line duties. I find Eller much stronger as a center than as a wing. Not sure about Desharnais.

I really hope we don't relegate Cole to the 3rd line. AK has had every opportunity to prove himself on the first line, and I personally think he's much better when his level of opponent is a little lower and he's not subjected to the pressure of top line duties. I find Eller much stronger as a center than as a wing. Not sure about Desharnais.

Those are fair points. Betts is clearly going to be a center IMO so I'd guess 1 of Desharnais or Eller plays the wing on the 3rd line (with the other centering it). You're right, Eller does look better down the middle and the only thing that stopped me from outright saying Eller will/should play center is Desharnais is significantly better in the faceoff circle.

He actually doesn't hit that much, he's a big body but in my viewings of him he's more of a smart, positional type forward than a big, bang and crash type. That actually fits perfectly with the Martin way of thinking.

Ya maybe what I remember is him hitting montreal players a lot lol. At first I thought I remembered that he could score goals too but again that was just against the habs. :P

Archived