The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Post Game Reaction

HabsRuleForever

Bang on. Inconsistency is the huge problem with the way the game is called in multiple facets of the rulebook.

What can we as fans do about this? I was thinking about the bruins and how their fans all unite and chant " Habs suck" throughout the game. I don't think the refs would raise an eye brow if we chanted refs suck. I think they're used to it. But what if the refs made a stupid call and the whole Bell center started laughing at the refs and just continued laughing at them every time they made a call. I have often found laughter to be a very powerful tool. Nobody likes to be laughed at. Peer pressure works. That's why kids were so much more on the ball back in the day, before schools embraced the bubble wrap generation.

Looks like even Kerry Fraser is on our side concerning the Blunden/Dubinsky/Callahan 5 on 3 disaster.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=379919

In case you don't have the patience to read the whole thing, he believes it should have come out 4 on 4, not 5 on 3.

Yes, exactly as I saw it (biased as I am) at the time:

• Blunden's hit was clean; dopey officials thought they had to call interference because he 'wasn't supposed to be on the ice' (6th man) :blink: ; uh, no, separate thing. That's like saying if Blunden had taken the puck and shot it into his own net before the whistle blew on "the too many men", that the goal would not count for the Rangers because Blunden "wasn't supposed to be on the ice". Some of these ref's really aren't too bright, and they all get excited in the moment for habs road games with rabid fans going wild. The FOUR refs/linesmen got together after the dust-up and discussed it and all agreed on the call(s) :unsure::blink::lol: : ; and
  • Ref's always call an instigator after a big dust-up like that. Someone started it all. It was Callahan, as Fraser correctly points out.

The major ref mess-up changed the game completely. 2 points in an inter-conference game, out the door to the opposition, courtesy of affected ref's.

As I said in another thread, the stats point to the NHL refs having a tough time being neutral for Habs road games, as the opposition teams and fans get up for the games more than any other visiting NHL team. For the third consecutive season the Habs are league worst in PP vs PK time on the road in the 30-team NHL. I dare anyone to find any team stat where a team, in the modern 30-team era, has been League best or worst three seasons is a row. There's outside bias affecting the outcome of an otherwise pretty competitive league. Straight-up odds (and I realize this can't be merely assessed 'straight-up'; Martin and the players have to be somewhat responsible, but still) are 1-in-27,000, for a three-peat to occassion. The Habs are well on their way.

The PK Subban penalty I have no problem with. 2 minutes for acting immature. If I was coaching, and had better options, I'd tell him to sit on the end of the bench the rest of the game, after sitting in the box.

Yes, exactly as I saw it (biased as I am) at the time:

• Blunden's hit was clean; dopey officials thought they had to call interference because he 'wasn't supposed to be on the ice' (6th man) :blink: ; uh, no, separate thing. That's like saying if Blunden had taken the puck and shot it into his own net before the whistle blew on "the too many men", that the goal would not count for the Rangers because Blunden "wasn't supposed to be on the ice". Some of these ref's really aren't too bright, adn they all get excited in the moment. The FOUR of them got together discussed it and all agreed on the call :unsure :blink::lol: : ; and
  • Ref's always call an instigator after a big dust-up like that. Someone started it all. It was Callahan, as Frasier correctly points out.

As I said in another thread, the stats point to the NHL refs having a tough time being neutral for Habs road games, as the opposition teams and fans get up for the games more than any other visiting NHL team. For the third consecutive season the Habs are league worst in PP vs PK time on the road in the 30-team NHL. I dare anyone to find any team stat where a team has been League best or worst three seasons is a row. Straight-up odds (and I realize this can't be merely assessed 'straight-up', but still) are 1-in-27,000, of a three-peat. The Habs are well on their way.

Actually I don't believe the goal would count because the play would be dead as soon as Blunden got possession (due to the delayed penalty against the Habs).

But your overall point stands and I agree with it. :P

Actually I don't believe the goal would count because the play would be dead as soon as Blunden got possession (due to the delayed penalty against the Habs).

But your overall point stands and I agree with it. :P

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the example :unsure: , but made the point the whistle wasn't blown yet. OK, so let's say the puck is shot by a Ranger and glances in off Blunden then, before the 'too many men' penalty is called. How's that? :lol: (Goal can't count according to Saturday's dopey ref's, because Blunden's not supposed to be there. :blink: )

I do realize ref's generally try and blow too many men right away before the evidence disappears, and maybe also to avoid situations like Blunden's hit. You let 7 opposition skate about, and someone on the other team will get hit by someone they are not expecting (but Fraser says that's still not interference in the book).

Ref's probably got raked over the coals by the NHL head of officiating; fat lot of good that does the Habs.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the example :unsure: , but made the point the whistle wasn't blown yet. OK, so let's say the puck is shot by a Ranger and glances in off Blunden then, before the 'too many men' penalty is called. How's that? :lol: (Goal can't count according to Saturday's dopey ref's, because Blunden's not supposed to be there. :blink: )

I do realize ref's generally try and blow too many men right away before the evidence disappears, and maybe also to avoid situations like Blunden's hit. You let 7 opposition skate about, and someone on the other team will get hit by someone they are not expecting (but Fraser says that's still not interference in the book).

Ref's probably got raked over the coals by the NHL head of officiating; fat lot of good that does the Habs.

Where's Beavis and Butthead when you need em? :lol:

The big problem in the NHL is that there is no accountability nor transparency when it comes to the front office and officiating. In the CFL, an official was fired for a key mistake that could have changed the outcome of the game (but didn't); in this case, the call by Peel and Morton (two of the worst refs in the game) may very well have changed the outcome of the game. Yet the players are not allowed to comment publicly, the refs are not allowed to speak to the media, and the NHL never takes any action against its officials, as far as we can tell. I think a lot of fans would feel less angry about the officiating if they knew that refs were being held accountable for their mistakes instead of being allowed to make up their own rules as they go without consequence. I would be much more supportive of the league's policies if they came out and said Peel and Morton were forced to meet with the head of officiating to review their actions and that they were fined or suspended a couple of games as a result. If the league then reviewed each ref and dismissed those who accumulated too many mistakes, there would at least be a sense of justice (and I'm not talking about mistakes whereby they miss a borderline call or blow the whistle too early, etc. but those whereby they clearly misinterpreted the rulebook or flagrantly showed bias).

VS. the Hurricanes... The Habs got the bounces (created alot themselves) and the Hurricanes didn't show up until the third period... and, even then, were not much of an opposition.

That said, the Habs did play a good team game overall.

VS. the Islanders...

Substitute Habs for Hurricanes and Isles for Habs... :(

VS. the Penguins... bad calls, one for and one against (Pacman's hit should have at least been a minor, OT goal should not have counted). That said, not a complete team effort from the top six (Cammy-Pleks-Gionta sucked) and the powerplay not producing made a difference.

I do think the Anaheim game was the WORST thing I've seen in a while from this team. Especially those three consecutive power plays that really showed just how bad they are. They have no clue what to do. All they did was take shots from the blue line. Incredible.

Don't hear this the wrong way, I've been a true Habs Fan for 44 years, but OMG this season is irritating and frustrating me! The continuous lack of hunger to win in the games, the awful and NEVER changing bad power play, (heck not even bad, but non-existent power play), the total lack of performance by the teams' top guns and the attitudes like they just don't care that they're not producing points at all, the dreadful "lets play like we're on a penalty kill in our own zone even though it's five on five hockey" (who's system is that?), MAN the list goes on and on....

Something has to change, or i'll have to buy a new TV after I smash mine with the remote!!!

I understand that injuries have again played a part in our seasons downfalls or short falls, but c'mon, that excuse is getting VERY tiring. We have incredible talent still on the ice, individual talent, all those guys COULD get the job done on any given night, but...The best way I can say it is, we have the right ingredients, but they ain't being mixed right!!! Is that a coaching problem? Player problem? Upper management? Who the heck needs to stir the bowl to get things going the way us Habs hopefuls have come to expect over the decades? Cause this my friends, isn't it...

Ok, thanks for letting me share my vented, high heated, two cents worth of frustration...carry on!

Tough lose in SJ

Yes it was a tough loss however it was better than a very ugly loss many fans were expecting.

True...better effort than the game before....QUACK

I really enjoyed that sharks game. Thanks to the refs not calling a penalty every 5 minutes, both teams were allowed to play and find their flow. It's safe to say that the less penalties called, the better it is for the Habs regardless if they're for or against. I thought Montreal was passing the puck as well as they are capable of passing and the game had a nice pace to it.

The other thing that made this game nice to watch were the Sharks commentators. I watch so many games on center ice and I have listened to so many U.S. commentators. These guys called the game as though they understood what was going on! And beyond that they also knew what the names of the Montreal players were. They wouldn't say Joe Thornton gets stripped of the puck by "the Montreal player". They would say Thornton got stripped of the puck by David Desharnais. They didn't say Marleau's shot was stopped by "the Montreal net minder". They said Marleau's shot was stopped by Price. For me this was totally unprecedented.

They also put the french feed from RDS on for about 5 minutes just for the sake of enjoying it. Then they border lined on catering to Habs fans as they went on about how great the Montreal franchise is and how no team has better fans than the Habs.

To call them the best hosts in the U.S. would be an understatement. I have never heard an American City broadcast that could compare! B)

I really enjoyed that sharks game. Thanks to the refs not calling a penalty every 5 minutes, both teams were allowed to play and find their flow. It's safe to say that the less penalties called, the better it is for the Habs regardless if they're for or against. I thought Montreal was passing the puck as well as they are capable of passing and the game had a nice pace to it.

The other thing that made this game nice to watch were the Sharks commentators. I watch so many games on center ice and I have listened to so many U.S. commentators. These guys called the game as though they understood what was going on! And beyond that they also knew what the names of the Montreal players were. They wouldn't say Joe Thornton gets stripped of the puck by "the Montreal player". They would say Thornton got stripped of the puck by David Desharnais. They didn't say Marleau's shot was stopped by "the Montreal net minder". They said Marleau's shot was stopped by Price. For me this was totally unprecedented.

They also put the french feed from RDS on for about 5 minutes just for the sake of enjoying it. Then they border lined on catering to Habs fans as they went on about how great the Montreal franchise is and how no team has better fans than the Habs.

To call them the best hosts in the U.S. would be an understatement. I have never heard an American City broadcast that could compare! B)

really, i watch mainly U.S feeds of games they know the players most of the time.

But yes was a great game wish we could have hung on.

really, i watch mainly U.S feeds of games they know the players most of the time.

But yes was a great game wish we could have hung on.

They may be getting better but ughh. I can tolerate the homer mentality but beyond my other complaint it also becomes obvious that during the time that Montreal controls the puck, (brief as it often is)the commentators are using that time to talk about a time that they went fishing with an old retired player from their team or something else like that. Then the other team gets the puck back and the commentator will stop in mid story and start calling the game again, until Montreal gets the puck and then they can finish telling their story.

Also there's the inferior camera work but I'm not even going to get into that.

Archived