The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Back In The Day

kinot-1

Ya know,,,there are (I hope) many of us members who are older. I am 65 going on 50 :lol: . Most of our younger members have an idea of what it was like ,,back in the day. They have heard of bread at .15 cents a loaf, or cars at $2500, or TVs that you had to actually get up and change the channels, party lines, unlocked doors,and Halloween.

What I am proposing is a thread that tells our younger members our personal experiences. By that I mean, how it was in schools, vacations, family, games, first dates, first cars, and so on.

Here's my example.

When I was around 14-15, in the winter, after shovelling my parents driveway, I would take the shovel and go up one street and down another, knocking on doors to ask if they wanted their snow shovelled. Sometimes yes,and sometimes no, but there was one place that I shovelled and they would always give me a .50 cent piece,,,everytime.

I remember going out on Halloween, one year,,,and seeing/hearing kids running from this one house screaming. My brother and I decided to check it out. Ring the bell,,,"come in" (insert ghostly voice) said someone :blink: ,,,,of course we went in. Down a narrow hallway to the kitchen (not the brightest thing we did :blink: ), all I remember is high-tailing it out of there. :unsure:

Anyone else, got a few memories of their youth?

Ya know,,,there are (I hope) many of us members who are older. I am 65 going on 50 :lol: . Most of our younger members have an idea of what it was like ,,back in the day. They have heard of bread at .15 cents a loaf, or cars at $2500, or TVs that you had to actually get up and change the channels, party lines, unlocked doors,and Halloween.

What I am proposing is a thread that tells our younger members our personal experiences. By that I mean, how it was in schools, vacations, family, games, first dates, first cars, and so on.

Here's my example.

When I was around 14-15, in the winter, after shovelling my parents driveway, I would take the shovel and go up one street and down another, knocking on doors to ask if they wanted their snow shovelled. Sometimes yes,and sometimes no, but there was one place that I shovelled and they would always give me a .50 cent piece,,,everytime.

I remember going out on Halloween, one year,,,and seeing/hearing kids running from this one house screaming. My brother and I decided to check it out. Ring the bell,,,"come in" (insert ghostly voice) said someone :blink: ,,,,of course we went in. Down a narrow hallway to the kitchen (not the brightest thing we did :blink: ), all I remember is high-tailing it out of there. :unsure:

What was there that made you run?

A big difference I find was when I was at school if you were bad you would get the belt. The belt was a thick peice of leather approx 3 cm thick, 6 cm wide. On the whole it kept us kids under control.......unbelievable now that they did away with it. If I was bad at home I'd expect to get a deserved wallop. These kind of things did me no harm, and helped teach me right from wrong, how to respect people, and I think helped make me th eperson I am today. These days, there seems to be a lack of discipline and society is paying the price. A step backwards in this respect, would be no bad thing!!!!

A bus ride in the city cost 15 cents.

Guest habs1952

What was there that made you run?

A big difference I find was when I was at school if you were bad you would get the belt. The belt was a thick peice of leather approx 3 cm thick, 6 cm wide. On the whole it kept us kids under control.......unbelievable now that they did away with it. If I was bad at home I'd expect to get a deserved wallop. These kind of things did me no harm, and helped teach me right from wrong, how to respect people, and I think helped make me th eperson I am today. These days, there seems to be a lack of discipline and society is paying the price. A step backwards in this respect, would be no bad thing!!!!

I remember getting the belt once in school. Can't recall what I did to deserve it but I do remember the principal of the school who administered punishment was so old I actually laughed when he applied the belt to my hands. This is the same guy who would serenade the school with bird calls during weekly auditorium.

I remember getting the belt once in school.

Yea...same here,grade 1 :huh:...a stick.....and it was a nun.:angry:

Yea...same here,grade 1 :huh:...a stick.....and it was a nun.:angry:

In public school (grades 1-8) we got the belt,,,,in high-school, we got what we called the "board of education".

In public school, if you were caught chewing gum,,,you had to stick it on your nose and stand in the corner at the front of the class. :lol:

In public school, if you were caught chewing gum,,,you had to stick it on your nose and stand in the corner at the front of the class. :lol:

well I guess she missed that memo <_<

back in the day we would take out our telescope. i saw saturn once, but the key to this whole thing is that you could actually see the stars at night. not anymore. the population of my city was 12,000. its now closer to 40,000. you knew all the owners of all the stores in town. you went out the back door. people loaned their comic books. there was a 150 ft. beach which is now 10 ft. there were empty lots. there was wildlife around. you wanted to go to canada you went.

back in the day ...you wanted to go to Canada you went.

come on over.B)

Because I come from a large family of 8 kids (stretched over 19 years) we didn't have vacations. When I was in grade 5 or 6, in Sept. when we went back to school, we were asked to write an essay about where we went on our vacation. The only thing I could think of, was a family day trip to the beach, which was all of 25 miles away.

Until the essays were read out loud in class, I thought that was normal. It was a real eye-opener when I heard that other kids went camping, to a cottage, or on real trips.

Maybe that's why I love to go to new places now.

Back in the day, we had to shovel the whole boarded rink before the game (youth minor hockey) could start, in Montreal. Lifting snow with a shovel over 4 foot boards at age 10-11 is no piece of cake. Not exactly the ideal warm-up before the game. Feet would freeze too, sitting on the bench between shifts.

Thing is, I'd never, ever miss. I just loved playing.

In public school (grades 1-8) we got the belt,,,,in high-school, we got what we called the "board of education".

I remember in grade 5, a classmate ("DM") getting the strap from the Principal. It must have been pretty serious, as the Principal organized to play it live over the intercom system to all the classes in the school; some 300 students and staff. We could hear him yelping and all.

I wonder if that's still OK today?

Guest habs1952

Heheheheheh....In grade three, if you were chewing gum or misbehaved, the minute you put your head down the teacher would whip her chalk at you.

Guest habs1952

Heheheheheh....In grade three, if you were chewing gum or misbehaved, the minute you put your head down the teacher would whip her chalk at you.

Guest habs1952

Back in the day...the milkman would deliver milk during the week and on Saturdays the housewives would put money, to pay for the weeks milk, in an empty milk bottle and place it outside for the milkman to pick up. I know because I used to go and steal the money. :ph34r:

Back in the day...the milkman would deliver milk during the week and on Saturdays the housewives would put money, to pay for the weeks milk, in an empty milk bottle and place it outside for the milkman to pick up. I know because I used to go and steal the money. :ph34r:

< waves finger at 52>

I was a kid. It was my allowance. :rolleyes:

Speaking of allowances,,,,I got .25 cents a week. For that my older (by 2 years) brother and I had to dry dishes, cut the grass (or shovel the snow), wash the car, and any other sundry things our dad wanted us to do.

BTW, one Christmas, my brother and I got a used bicycle to share. <_<

:lol: *dead*

thumbs_014.jpg

You use the pen to rewind the tape!

Archived