The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2012 NHL Entry Draft

MkGee

it may be early but i wanna know about the prospects, i went and looked around on google for mock drafts and one has us finishing 25th overall(not a far stretch) and at that position they have us drafting nick ebert a really good d from the spitfires with excellent offensive ability, his idol is scott stevens(good news) and he compares himself to jack johnson says he may even be a little bit better!! what do you guys think of the prospect pool at this point better then last years? any superstars gonna come out of it?

My top ten Yakupov,Girgenson,Murray,Forsberg,Grigorenko,Ebert,Dumba,Ceci,Trouba and Reilly.There are another ten that could be in the top ten by seasons end or fighting for those positions.Schmaltz,Pouliot,Galchenyuk,Marcantuoni,Gaunce,Frk,Maata,Bussieres,Koekkoek and Athanasiou.Samuelsson, Maidens,Michaelson and Curcuruto are another four that could jump up by mid season.Its going to be a really deep draft year.

My top ten Yakupov,Girgenson,Murray,Forsberg,Grigorenko,Ebert,Dumba,Ceci,Trouba and Reilly.There are another ten that could be in the top ten by seasons end or fighting for those positions.Schmaltz,Pouliot,Galchenyuk,Marcantuoni,Gaunce,Frk,Maata,Bussieres,Koekkoek and Athanasiou.Samuelsson, Maidens,Michaelson and Curcuruto are another four that could jump up by mid season.Its going to be a really deep draft year.

Is pouliot related to Benoit?

I hope not! At this point the top 5 players of 2012 isn't certain but Nail is clearly the best player available currently.

1. Nail Yakupov

2. Ryan Murray

3. Mikhail Grigorenko

4. Filip Forsberg

5. Morgan Rielly

6. Alex Galchenyuk

Any of these six could be the best of the draft and there are others Girgenson is being touted as #2 overall behind Yakupov by Hockey Prospects.com.If Montreal gets a lottery pick there will be a star player for them to pick from,Forsberg is excellent also,the draft is the deepest I've ever witnessed in since its inception in 1963 I believe or IMO.

I hope not! At this point the top 5 players of 2012 isn't certain but Nail is clearly the best player available currently.

1. Nail Yakupov

2. Ryan Murray

3. Mikhail Grigorenko

4. Filip Forsberg

5. Morgan Rielly

6. Alex Galchenyuk

I wouldn't necessarily say that. He is an amazing player, but the others you listed are also great players. He might be #1 right now on many lists, but he's not running away with the #1 like some have in the past. It'll be fun to see if any of those guys really step up their game and how the rest of their seasons unfold.

If we get a lottery pick, I think we'll all be happy with any of those players. They all have different playstyles!

1. Nail Yakupov

2. Ryan Murray

3. Mikhail Grigorenko

4. Filip Forsberg

5. Morgan Rielly

6. Alex Galchenyuk

I'd take Dumba before Rielly tbh. Trouba is pretty solid too, the draft is going to have a lot of quality defencemen going early in the first round. Only a month in and I'm already looking forward to the draft lol.

The Habs are still in need of big centers that can win faceoffs and score.Picking offence this year and finding that needle in the haystack will never be easier than in the 2012 Entry Draft.Centers Russian;Grigorenko,Girgensons and Galchenyuk.Centers Canadian;Cristobal Nieves(French 6'3),Matia Marcantuoni,Brendon Gaunce,A.J. Michaelson,Matt Campagna,Scott Laughton,Jarrod Maidens,Lukas Sutter,Kristoff Kontos,Robbie Baillargeon,Zane Jones.A few and lots more forwards to choose from as well as great Defencemen.

I really like Raphael Bussieres from Baie Comeau of the Q. He's a 6'1" 195 lbs left winger that has 8 goals, 12 assists for 20 points in 13 games. The three guys on NHL.com didn't even rank this kid, but Craig Button has him ranked 14th. I really like this kid's game.

Andres Athanasiou looks like a pretty good prospect that would fall late, as well as Phillip Di Giuseppe of the University of Michigan. From what I hear, Giuseppe is a heck of a leader, and the Michigan ties don't hurt

• 4 weeks later...

Is Malcolm Subban draft eligable this year?

Posted 4 months ago on TSN.com...

"With a solid season in Belleville next season Malcolm could potentially one-up his big brother by being taken in the first round of the 2012 NHL Draft. P.K. was selected in the second round (43rd overall) in 2007".

MALCOLM SUBBAN HOPES TO FOLLOW BROTHER P.K. TO THE NHL

Posted 4 months ago on TSN.com...

"With a solid season in Belleville next season Malcolm could potentially one-up his big brother by being taken in the first round of the 2012 NHL Draft. P.K. was selected in the second round (43rd overall) in 2007".

MALCOLM SUBBAN HOPES TO FOLLOW BROTHER P.K. TO THE NHL

Well, he's 12-3-0 with a .943 SV% and a 1.78 GAA this season with 2 SO. Looks like he could definitely go in the first round then. Id love to see us get him, but I wouldn't want us to pick him in the first round. We have weeknesses that need to be addressed first.

Well, he's 12-3-0 with a .943 SV% and a 1.78 GAA this season with 2 SO. Looks like he could definitely go in the first round then. Id love to see us get him, but I wouldn't want us to pick him in the first round. We have weeknesses that need to be addressed first.

if for whatever reason he slips to 2nd or 3rd, get him. If not, we do have issues to adress namely scoring forwards.

The thing with goalies that I've noticed at least is that fewer and fewer are going in the first round these days. It's been a bit of a crapshoot too picking "which" goalie will actually go first. He'd have to have a very dominant season to be considered for the first round, especially with a decent batch of forwards in this year's draft.

The thing with goalies that I've noticed at least is that fewer and fewer are going in the first round these days. It's been a bit of a crapshoot too picking "which" goalie will actually go first. He'd have to have a very dominant season to be considered for the first round, especially with a decent batch of forwards in this year's draft.

College goalies have been making their case for being the next breeding ground for goalies,Tim Thomas and Ryan Miller being two that have garnered the Vezina Trophies.

what about dryden :lol:

Now there we're talking Hall of Fame,Vezina goalies which the others aren't at least not yet.Emil Sylevegard is a Center that has caught my eye that will be drafted in the 2012 draft.Hopefully by the Habs he plays for the Voltigeurs and pretty well at that.

Assuming we draft in the place we are now were looking at a late-middle pick. As in 16 or 17. So id like to see us take

Slater Koekkoek-Sound defensive defenseman and awesome name

Pontus Aberg-Not high on him as he is inconsistent and bad defensively but if hes BPA go for it

Sebastian Collberg-Speedy guy

Then theres obviously guys like forsberg and Subban whod be good. Subban not so much as hes a goalie but it never hurts to have depth and if he develops well we can always trade him for a good return.

Assuming the Habs don't trade for a lottery pick or end the season in a lottery spot then their choice really gets left in other teams whims.If Grigs,Girgensons are gone,depending on the BPA(Best Player Available)maybe Dmen Cody Ceci RD or Griffin Rinehart LD would have to be taken ahead of Martin Frk or Andreas Athanasiou all four very great picks.Any other year each could be #1 overall,whatever happens and I hope the Habs have at least two picks in the first and second rounds or a lottery pick,my choice would be the lottery pick and Grigorenko.Throw in all the rest of the draft picks for the right to choose Grigorenko you can't lose.

Archived