The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Canadiens Acquire Nokelainen and Stafford from Phoenix

hatethosebruins

We get a faceoff man and another defender for Hamilton, likely because of Stejskal

True, although not sure of his numbers for faceoff. Is he better than Plekanec?

Checking his numbers for 2009-2010, in 67 games he had a 45.0 faceoff %. That's pretty bad for a faceoff guy. This year he's at 58.1% but in only 5 games.

His notes also says : Lacks game-to-game consistency.

Isn't he a center? Why did we send down Palushaj instead of Enqvist then?

They both got sent down

"Nokelainen will join the Canadiens in Montreal, while Stafford will report to the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs. Forward Michael Blunden has been recalled from the Bulldogs, while forwards Andreas Engqvist and Aaron Palushaj have been assigned to Hamilton."

True, although not sure of his numbers for faceoff. Is he better than Plekanec?

Checking his numbers for 2009-2010, in 67 games he had a 45.0 faceoff %. That's pretty bad for a faceoff guy. This year he's at 58.1% but in only 5 games.

His notes also says : Lacks game-to-game consistency.

They both got sent down

"Nokelainen will join the Canadiens in Montreal, while Stafford will report to the AHL Hamilton Bulldogs. Forward Michael Blunden has been recalled from the Bulldogs, while forwards Andreas Engqvist and Aaron Palushaj have been assigned to Hamilton."

Oh. So Blunden and Nokelainen will be on our 4th line. Is he physical?

PG picked Blair Betts off waivers to address the need we had for a 4th line centre who can win FOs and most people agreed with it. I didn't work out so that 'file' was still open. Why is it then that I read so many complaints (on twitter and other tribunes) about today's move that is basically one to close that specific file?

Of course the Habs have other issues that need to be addressed but it doesn't mean that this one had disappeared and because it was easier and not earth shattering that it should not have been done.

I'm sure if this deal had been done during camp, there would be much more enthusiasm about it. What kills it is that it happens in the midst of a "LETS FIRE MARTIN !!!#!@#%!@%#!@%# TRADE THEM ALL NO HEART PUNKS!!!11!!!" weekend

I don't support that, but I will if we don't get better soon.

I'm sure if this deal had been done during camp, there would be much more enthusiasm about it. What kills it is that it happens in the midst of a "LETS FIRE MARTIN !!!#!@#%!@%#!@%# TRADE THEM ALL NO HEART PUNKS!!!11!!!" weekend

Exactly, PG and JM obviously tried to tough it out and hope our younger centres will adapt to winning face-offs and playing strong defense on 5-on-5 and the PK. Eller and DD are getting there, but theres no use keeping Engqvist down to 4 mins a game when he could be getting 20 in hamilton. He addressed one of our several needs with this trade, and added some defense to Hamilton who is down another man with an injury. We only lost a 7th rounder and a prospect who had upside but was never likely to make it here. Good deal IMO

+1, not very different from the Betts move at all which we all loved. This is minor move yes, but it's a positive and necessary one.

Well, yes, it is hard to compete with poster suggestions the likes of "Sedin twins for Kostytsin and a 4th rounder". :rolleyes:

Archived