The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#15 Petteri Nokelainen 2011-2012

AK-1

This deal is to fix the Blair Betts situation that didn't pan out. Someone to play 4th line centre and win FO's. Engqvist can be sent down now and it's one issue that can be scratched form the list, granted , not the most major one but still.

Welcome to madness Petteri :)

58% on faceoffs so far this year.

Well he's only taken 31 faceoffs, in his last full season (09-10) he was at 45%. He may be better than that, but it's not as though he's a faceoff wizard. Plekanec and Gomez have been strong this year in the circle, Desharnais is really killing us.

Well he's only taken 31 faceoffs, in his last full season (09-10) he was at 45%. He may be better than that, but it's not as though he's a faceoff wizard. Plekanec and Gomez have been strong this year in the circle, Desharnais is really killing us.

Engqvist was all also struggling in the circle, so hopefully this an upgrade on that at least.

Yikes! 45% on face-offs is not what I expected. :( Unless his small sample size this season is a true indicator this statistic worries me deeply. It seems that we often times get owned in the circle when we come up against a top-notch face-off man. It'd be nice to acquire someone who can compete in those situations. Hopefully Nokelainen surprises!

Last year in Finland he had 116 penalty minutes in 42 games...hmmm

Hopefully some of those are fighting majors, otherwise... That's a lot of minor penalties to take.

7:09 of ice time. No shots on goal. No penalty killing time. I don't remember him taking many face-offs either... :unsure: Are we expecting that his role will be beefed up given some time or is this all we can expect out of him? 'Cause Enqvist was providing the same thing if I remember correctly.

I noticed Nokelainen alot more than I ever saw Engqvist. He threw some good hits up ice and had a 100% faceoff percentage with four of them.

Thought it was a solid first game for him.

I noticed Nokelainen alot more than I ever saw Engqvist. He threw some good hits up ice and had a 100% faceoff percentage with four of them.

Yep, I thought he played well considering the circumstances. From what I read, he was aboard planes all night (including going back to Phoenix to pickup his passport) to get here in time for the morning skate.

Agreed. He isnt any sort of saviour, but he looked fine out there & definitely was involved more than engqvist. I think he's a decent short-term solution.

Well, welcome to the fold. Not the greatest of situations to get dropped in to.

Nokelainen will take a huge burden from the shoulders of JM in the next three games,retaining puck possession against the Flyers and Bruins is key to our defence.Having a player that can win faceoffs in the defensive zone is imperative,center was always one of the Habs greatest strengths in the past.When the team regains that strength the Stanley Cup will follow.Go Habs Go!

Nokelainen will take a huge burden from the shoulders of JM in the next three games,retaining puck possession against the Flyers and Bruins is key to our defence.Having a player that can win faceoffs in the defensive zone is imperative,center was always one of the Habs greatest strengths in the past.When the team regains that strength the Stanley Cup will follow.Go Habs Go!

Why do we think this guy is good on face-offs? :unsure: His sample size this season is too small to determine anything from, and someone was mentioning he's had previous seasons with a face-off winning average of 45%... That doesn't sound like someone who is going to help us a lot in our defensive zone.

Why do we think this guy is good on face-offs? :unsure: His sample size this season is too small to determine anything from, and someone was mentioning he's had previous seasons with a face-off winning average of 45%... That doesn't sound like someone who is going to help us a lot in our defensive zone.

well, he took 4 last game and won them all. the guy has to start somewhere ;)

Archived