The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Re-build or not to re-build

endo519

Re-build or not  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this team to finally start a proper rebuild?

• Yes, Re-build
    • No, stay the course
    • Not sure to early to tell

I personally wanted this team to rebuild the right way before Gainey spent over 100 million in one day. Even if this team somehow does squeak into the playoffs, are you not tired of being a bubble team year after year? Being too small? Having no prolific goal scorer since when, Lefleur? Look at Chicago, Tampa, Anaheim, Carolina, and Pittsburgh. In the new NHL you need to have some bad years to re-stock the cupboard with some elite talent.

We will never win a cup going this direction and can’t understand why so many fans are so blind or can’t swallow their pride and don’t want what’s best for the team in the near future. I understand no guarantee to win a cup with high draft picks *cough* Florida, Islanders but I rather take my chances as this new NHL it seems that you have to draft high at least a couple of times to possibly win a cup.

Even if we made the playoffs this year by some miracle do you really think we can compete? Yes sure this team maybe surprise you with an upset here or there, but that’s sports that happens. Fact is this team will never win a cup without a rebuild. It will be the same old story until price; Subban etc. end up being too old themselves and will have to start the cycle all over again. Gets tiring.

How would rebuilding with Subban, Price, Pac's, Eller, Tinordi, Beaulieu, white, Gallager, and let’s just throw out Yakopov or a high end prospect from this year. Plus all of the picks or young talent we could get for Gionta, Pleks, Cammileri, kostitsyn, Markov (if ever healthy) at trade deadline. I think now would be a perfect time to start the rebuild. We can keep Gomez to stick within the cap minimum till his contract runs out. I myself think we would have an excellent core to rebuild with and would be a great team for years to come with the young players we have and the young players we would aquire through draft/ trades.

I would also love to see Larry Robinson as coach and Patrick Roy as assistant or vice versa during the rebuild and moving forward so that team can grow togther as a team

No. No need to, we just rebuilt a few years ago and not all our prospects are ready for the NHL. Neither is Lars or DD completely ready for top 6 roles night in and night out. They do look good, but need a bit more time. Im fine with teh core we have in place, if it means being in the bottom for a few years, so be it as long as we draft smart and retain the picks. As for JM, ask me in a few weeks...im too undecided on him.

as long as we draft smart

Do you believe we been doing this for yrs now?

Whether I want them to or not is irrelevant as next year they HAVE to rebuild the D because the only player currently under contract is Markov

The others are either RFA's or UFA's

And I don't belive there are any D men currently in the system ready to assume top 6 responsibility

Then in 2 YRS they will have to rebuild the forwards 'cause the smurfs ( # 13, 21 and 11 ) all become UFA's at the same time and like the D men I dont' belive there are any pospects in the system capable of playing in one of the top 3 to 6 positions.

Plus all of the picks or young talent we could get for Gionta, Pleks, Cammileri, kostitsyn, Markov (if ever healthy) at trade deadline.

I have no idea what we wget for thos guys at the deadline but even then draft picks are no guarantee's

I'm not even sure why this is a question, honestly. It's 8 games into a season. We're missing our #1 defenceman, our second line center, and now our best player in the first part of the year. Our PP and PK have struggled. We've taken 3 too-many-men penalties already. There are correctable reasons as to why we've fared badly thus far.

If you look at our roster, we have a top 5 goalie in the league. We have one of the best D prospects in the league. We have 3 lines of forwards capable of scoring. Do we have a legit superstar? No. But neither do 2/3 of the teams in the league. Pittsburgh is doing just fine without their top 2 guys, so which teams are really playing with elite first lines right now? Washington, Vancouver, Tampa, Chicago, Anaheim... and while there are other teams with better top-end forwards than ours, I think a lot of these teams lack the scoring depth we have. And most don't have a goalie that stacks up to ours. Yes, we have holes on D. Yes, we are missing a right-handed center. But every team has missing parts. The parity in the league is as high as it has ever been and we cannot expect to have a team that will dominate the regular season and run the gamut in the playoffs right to the Cup the way we did 40-50 years ago. This is in theory (if you get Markov back) a better roster (with Pacman back, Cole added on, etc.) than the one that came one goal short of knocking out the Stanley Cup champs last year. It's got a lot of the same key players that went to the ECF two years ago. And this is a team that has outshot and outplayed its opponents in 3-4 of the games it lost.

Would I like to see better finish around the net? Yes. Would I like to see guys avoid stupid penalties or play smarter D in their own zone? Yes. But this team is really not that far from being an top 10 team in the league again and I don't think it makes any sense to blow it up at this point. Would I trade Gionta or Gomez or Spacek o some other guys if a fruitful deal came around? In a second. But I wouldn't do it with the goal of rebuilding, I would do it with the goal of improving our line-up. And while I wouldn't mind getting some younger guys in, I'd want those guys to be NHL-ready. I still believe this team is not done for this year and I still believe this team can challenge for a Cup within the next 2-3 years if the tweaking is done properly and we get a bit more luck with the injuries we've faced of late. So no, I do not feel the need to start from scratch. If we happen to do so badly that we are out by the trade deadline and we can move assets to make us better next year and free up cap space, I'd go for it, but again, not with the intent of becoming the Sens or Oilers. With free agency (see Buffalo or the Panthers, for example), teams can add 2-3 key players and turn a playoff team into a Cup contender or lottery team into a playoff team. I won't turn down a top 5 draft pick, but that's not the goal of the season at this point.

Would I like to see better finish around the net? Yes. Would I like to see guys avoid stupid penalties or play smarter D in their own zone? Yes.

Amen to this.

I'm not even sure why this is a question, honestly.

Panic.gif????????

I'm not even sure why this is a question, honestly. It's 8 games into a season. We're missing our #1 defenceman, our second line center, and now our best player in the first part of the year. Our PP and PK have struggled. We've taken 3 too-many-men penalties already. There are correctable reasons as to why we've fared badly thus far.

If you look at our roster, we have a top 5 goalie in the league. We have one of the best D prospects in the league. We have 3 lines of forwards capable of scoring. Do we have a legit superstar? No. But neither do 2/3 of the teams in the league. Pittsburgh is doing just fine without their top 2 guys, so which teams are really playing with elite first lines right now? Washington, Vancouver, Tampa, Chicago, Anaheim... and while there are other teams with better top-end forwards than ours, I think a lot of these teams lack the scoring depth we have. And most don't have a goalie that stacks up to ours. Yes, we have holes on D. Yes, we are missing a right-handed center. But every team has missing parts. The parity in the league is as high as it has ever been and we cannot expect to have a team that will dominate the regular season and run the gamut in the playoffs right to the Cup the way we did 40-50 years ago. This is in theory (if you get Markov back) a better roster (with Pacman back, Cole added on, etc.) than the one that came one goal short of knocking out the Stanley Cup champs last year. It's got a lot of the same key players that went to the ECF two years ago. And this is a team that has outshot and outplayed its opponents in 3-4 of the games it lost.

Would I like to see better finish around the net? Yes. Would I like to see guys avoid stupid penalties or play smarter D in their own zone? Yes. But this team is really not that far from being an top 10 team in the league again and I don't think it makes any sense to blow it up at this point. Would I trade Gionta or Gomez or Spacek o some other guys if a fruitful deal came around? In a second. But I wouldn't do it with the goal of rebuilding, I would do it with the goal of improving our line-up. And while I wouldn't mind getting some younger guys in, I'd want those guys to be NHL-ready. I still believe this team is not done for this year and I still believe this team can challenge for a Cup within the next 2-3 years if the tweaking is done properly and we get a bit more luck with the injuries we've faced of late. So no, I do not feel the need to start from scratch. If we happen to do so badly that we are out by the trade deadline and we can move assets to make us better next year and free up cap space, I'd go for it, but again, not with the intent of becoming the Sens or Oilers. With free agency (see Buffalo or the Panthers, for example), teams can add 2-3 key players and turn a playoff team into a Cup contender or lottery team into a playoff team. I won't turn down a top 5 draft pick, but that's not the goal of the season at this point.

This.

Well said.

I needed that. Thanks, BigTed.

If wer're talking about a classic blow up the team rebuild, Step 1 would probably be trading Carey which I'm not overly inclined to want to do.

No not A Full out complete get rid of everyone rebuild. Keep all the good young players and trade what you can get come deadline for some good young players or some draft picks. Plus in a few year of finishing bottom 5, we would have an amazing core moving forward.

I'm not even sure why this is a question, honestly. It's 8 games into a season. We're missing our #1 defenceman (who may not even be a number 1 D once we he returns if he ever returns. We dont know the severity of his injury and how that will impact his play), our second line center (this is a joke right? you are tlaking about ghost Gomez right?), and now our best player in the first part of the year. Our PP and PK have struggled. We've taken 3 too-many-men penalties already. There are correctable reasons as to why we've fared badly thus far.

If you look at our roster, we have a top 5 goalie in the league. We have one of the best D prospects in the league ( I really dont think this is the case at all. We have Tinordi who is nothing to brag home about, belive me as I am from London and see the guy play all the time. Yes we have Subban, but he is high risk player. That leaves bealieu, Diaz is ok, Webber is ok. I would say we are very weak in D prospects compared to most teams in the league). We have 3 lines of forwards capable of scoring (really now do we? I am yet to see it, how has our 5 on 5 been by the way the last 3 years?). Do we have a legit superstar? No. But neither do 2/3 of the teams in the league. Pittsburgh is doing just fine without their top 2 guys (Exactly why our team had no hope. Pittsburgh is winning and they are missing 2 top players in the world from thier team. What does that say about our team who is missing just markov? gomes hoeslty does he even count and he has only missed 2 games.) so which teams are really playing with elite first lines right now? Washington, Vancouver, Tampa, Chicago, Anaheim... and while there are other teams with better top-end forwards than ours, I think a lot of these teams lack the scoring depth we have. And most don't have a goalie that stacks up to ours. Yes, we have holes on D. Yes, we are missing a right-handed center. But every team has missing parts. The parity in the league is as high as it has ever been and we cannot expect to have a team that will dominate the regular season and run the gamut in the playoffs right to the Cup the way we did 40-50 years ago. This is in theory (if you get Markov back) a better roster (with Pacman back, Cole added on, etc.) than the one that came one goal short of knocking out the Stanley Cup champs last year. It's got a lot of the same key players that went to the ECF two years ago. And this is a team that has outshot and outplayed its opponents in 3-4 of the games it lost.

Endo, to reply to your comments...

- Yes, I believe Gomez can help our team. Yes, he is still our number 2 center. The issue most fans have with Gomez is that the expectations are extremely high on account of the contract he has. We've seen that without him in the line-up, however, that we have more difficulty moving the puck out of our own zone and more trouble establishing the zone. There's no question Gomez has struggled from the blue line in, but he's the best on the team at getting us to that point and he is still a useful member to this team. Like most, I would move him if any kind of a decent deal came up, but that's mostly to free up the cap space to spend elsewhere, not because I think he is completely washed up. Gomez is not going to put up 80-90 points, but he's also not likely to have another 38 point year. Last year, he struggled, but he also spent a large number of games with useless wingers like Moen, Pyatt, and Lapierre and there were countless times that he set guys like Gionta and AK46 up and they missed open nets. When he got to play with a power forward with some finish around the net, we saw much better results. I don't believe Gomez is a number one center and he's not going to carry the team, but he's still the number two guy here over the entire season.

- With respect to Markov, no we have no idea what he'll be like when he returns. But the upside with Markov is that his game is not based around strength or speed. He's a smart player with great vision of the ice and outstanding passing skills. He can make a PP go single-handedly. And those skills are unlikely to diminish even being off for so long. He may need some time to get his timing back, but it'll come eventually. The only concern is whether he still has the instinct to go into the tough spaces without doubting his knee. Like Gorges said, it's normal to feel scared the knee is going to give out until you actually take that first hit and it stands up.

- As for the D, I didn't say we had a great D prospect pool, only that we have one of the best D prospects... Subban. He's still raw, but he's ahead of any D man prospect I've seen in this organization at his stage of development. He has a rare combination of great skating, powerful shot, physicality, and the attitude of a star. He's got a lot to learn still, but there isn't a team out there who wouldn't trade for this guy and if he were a UFA at the end of this year, he'd get 5M on the open market easily. He'll be a number one guy here for years and the only problem is that he's being asked not only to be a number one before he's ready right now, but also to be a number one guy on a team where the other 5 guys are 3rd-pairing D men. If and when Markov and Campoli get back in there, that problem will be rectified.

- I don't believe this team is perfect but I certainly don't think it's any worse than the teams we had over the past two years and I think a lot of people have jumped ship after 10% of the season. Maybe we don't make the playoffs this year, but that doesn't mean we're that far behind the teams finishing 3rd or 4th in the conference. The parity is that close in the league right now and I don't think our early woes are a reason to make radical changes.

I personally wanted this team to rebuild the right way before Gainey spent over 100 million in one day. Even if this team somehow does squeak into the playoffs, are you not tired of being a bubble team year after year? Being too small? Having no prolific goal scorer since when, Lefleur? Look at Chicago, Tampa, Anaheim, Carolina, and Pittsburgh. In the new NHL you need to have some bad years to re-stock the cupboard with some elite talent.

We will never win a cup going this direction and can’t understand why so many fans are so blind or can’t swallow their pride and don’t want what’s best for the team in the near future. I understand no guarantee to win a cup with high draft picks *cough* Florida, Islanders but I rather take my chances as this new NHL it seems that you have to draft high at least a couple of times to possibly win a cup.

Even if we made the playoffs this year by some miracle do you really think we can compete? Yes sure this team maybe surprise you with an upset here or there, but that’s sports that happens. Fact is this team will never win a cup without a rebuild. It will be the same old story until price; Subban etc. end up being too old themselves and will have to start the cycle all over again. Gets tiring.

How would rebuilding with Subban, Price, Pac's, Eller, Tinordi, Beaulieu, white, Gallager, and let’s just throw out Yakopov or a high end prospect from this year. Plus all of the picks or young talent we could get for Gionta, Pleks, Cammileri, kostitsyn, Markov (if ever healthy) at trade deadline. I think now would be a perfect time to start the rebuild. We can keep Gomez to stick within the cap minimum till his contract runs out. I myself think we would have an excellent core to rebuild with and would be a great team for years to come with the young players we have and the young players we would aquire through draft/ trades.

I would also love to see Larry Robinson as coach and Patrick Roy as assistant or vice versa during the rebuild and moving forward so that team can grow togther as a team

I agree with almost everything including hiring Larry Robinson as defensive coach,I don't know about Patrick Roy he's pretty volatile for a Habs coach but he's coaching my favorite player for this years draft Grigorenko.Go Habs Go!Grigorenko would be following in the footprints of Beliveau and Lafleur if he becomes a Hab,all three were top centers playing in Quebec City if he does.

Habs suck might as well and learn how to build a franschise from Pitsburg or Chicago.

Ugh, Pitt gets really overrated in terms of any skill at building a franchise IMO. They had a #1 or #2 overall pick 4 years in a row. If that wasn't enough, one of those first overall picks was total luck of the draw (lockout year) and just happened to be a generational talent who is the best player in the world. They basically stumbled into the core of their team, it was literally not possible to avoid an elite franchise in those draft positions.

Breakdown:

2003 = M.A. Fleury at 1st overall A goalie first overall, good job. Who needs a bum like Eric Staal anyway? You can also tack on the dozens of names we lament we drafted after AK that are current stars in the league.

2004 = Malkin at 2nd overall He and Ovi were the obvious #1 and #2, no brain-er.

2005 = Crosby 1st overall You win a league wide lottery and your prize is the best player in the world.

2006 = Jordan Staal 2nd overal Staal's a great player, amazing rookie season, looks to be a solid #2 center. 2nd overall ahead of Toews and Backstrom though?

In 2007 they had to actually draft in the mid-to-late first round like the rest of us mortals. They selected Angelo Esposito who will probably never have an NHL career, 2 spots before we took Patches.

If we start rebuilding now after letting go of all the young talent we let go for nothing in the past few seasons...we will officially outdo the leafs as the Clowns of NHL.Starting with Ribeiro, ending with Sergei Kostitsyn...we have been a franchise that fails to get the best out of young players...and then ends up trading them for nothing just to see them go elsewhere and put up more points than our overpaid overrated Superstars. yes, we have 3 lines with similar scoring capabilities...similar in the sense that none of them are any better than third liners on any contender's roster. (end of venting session) :P

Hopefully the Habs (Read Carey Price, he's the only one capable) put me in a happier mood by this time tomorrow...but I'm bracing myself for humiliation the next three games. We are in no shape to take on teams like Philly and Boston.

Ugh, Pitt gets really overrated in terms of any skill at building a franchise IMO. They had a #1 or #2 overall pick 4 years in a row. If that wasn't enough, one of those first overall picks was total luck of the draw (lockout year) and just happened to be a generational talent who is the best player in the world. They basically stumbled into the core of their team, it was literally not possible to avoid an elite franchise in those draft positions.

Breakdown:

2003 = M.A. Fleury at 1st overall A goalie first overall, good job. Who needs a bum like Eric Staal anyway? You can also tack on the dozens of names we lament we drafted after AK that are current stars in the league.

2004 = Malkin at 2nd overall He and Ovi were the obvious #1 and #2, no brain-er.

2005 = Crosby 1st overall You win a league wide lottery and your prize is the best player in the world.

2006 = Jordan Staal 2nd overal Staal's a great player, amazing rookie season, looks to be a solid #2 center. 2nd overall ahead of Toews and Backstrom though?

In 2007 they had to actually draft in the mid-to-late first round like the rest of us mortals. They selected Angelo Esposito who will probably never have an NHL career, 2 spots before we took Patches.

I would be Happy to have 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd picks in the next 4 years along with all of our young guns. We would Have an amazing chance to finally win a cup. I just don't see us winning one the path we are headed. We have become a team destined for mediocrity . I am starting to believe some people on here may be comfortable with that. Or they just can't bare seeing their beloved habs miss the playoffs. Thing about a team like Pitts now is they are set for at least a decade to be a good team and have been good for what 3-4 years already and counting, won a cup and have real good chance to win more in the future. All because they got high draft picks and signed them. We need to get some exceptional talent and sign them long term. yes I understand Crosby is rare and world class but 1st and 2nd each year can net you a very good prospects including one this year in Yapokov.

I believe with the current roster only thing we can do is keep repeating the same mistakes year after year. Covering up huge wounds with bandages, giving up second round picks what seem like year after year just to cover up holes and only to lose the players. I understand losing UFA's is part of the game but I want us to keep all picks and acquire more by trading away our veterans. My philosophy if I was GM would be stock pile as much picks as I can. Keep all the teams picks. Trade away the vetrans, which would leave the team being pretty bad for 3-4 years. Around the 5th year this team would be SCAREY GOOD and set for a long time.

If we start rebuilding now after letting go of all the young talent we let go for nothing in the past few seasons...we will officially outdo the leafs as the Clowns of NHL.Starting with Ribeiro, ending with Sergei Kostitsyn...we have been a franchise that fails to get the best out of young players...and then ends up trading them for nothing just to see them go elsewhere and put up more points than our overpaid overrated Superstars. yes, we have 3 lines with similar scoring capabilities...similar in the sense that none of them are any better than third liners on any contender's roster. (end of venting session) :P

Hopefully the Habs (Read Carey Price, he's the only one capable) put me in a happier mood by this time tomorrow...but I'm bracing myself for humiliation the next three games. We are in no shape to take on teams like Philly and Boston.

Leafs are clowns in sense they would always trade away all of thier picks and young players for vetrans. At least Burke is starting to stock up a little bit now and team is already improving. I agree with us trading away young players and getting nothing for them but who's fault is that? the player himself? the GM? scouts for picking them to begin with?

I can only hope and pray we lose the remainder of the season. This coming from a true habs fan who know's where to find light to get out of this darkness. High picks high picks! just the thought of that prospect would be to exciting!

Habs suck might as well and learn how to build a franschise from Pitsburg or Chicago.

Well Pittsburgh and Chicago weren't really trying to tank post lockout, Pittsburgh got lucky in the draft lottery the year before but both organizations gave up a handful of high priced contracts to try and compete in the short term, it just blew up. That's the kicker, it's pretty hard to OUTRIGHT tank with a cap floor. We can probably guarantee ourselves a top 5-9 pick, but top 3 is generally anyone's guess. People who wish for this route don't really know what it entails. We'd almost have to knowingly give out BAD contracts to hit the cap floor, hope the players fail and hope we manage to pick in the top 2-3 and win the lottery. Not to mention the first order of business would be to unload Carey, since he'd likely pull us up in the standings beyond where we need to pick. Then, finally, we have to hope the player we DO get in the year or 2 we're in the lottery is as great as we need. I'd like a top pick too, but it's awfully hard to plan to get one.

It's probably just not a good idea. It's almost a good way to torpedo an organization and get STUCK in a cycle that's nearly impossible to break. The only honest solution is to retool our scouting system. It's done good, we hit on a lot of good NHLers, but you don't need to be a lottery team to take high risk/high ceiling players. Philly has had 1 lottery pick that I can remember and have drafted a handful of stars in the meantime.

The same core was a good team last year, sustainably good. Out shot/out chanced teams, strong 5 on 5 system, good special teams. Yes, we lack the high end forward that takes us from pretty good to very good/contender but it has a lot to do with the failure of Gainey to land that guy and compounding it by giving his money to Gomez. We have to spend our good young roster players in a big package (Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Eller) or hit on a draft pick.

As for rebuilding? No. I don't think there's any sense in a rebuild these days. I do think in a couple years we will need a retool and with our expiring contracts it will be possible. Hopefully the GM doesn't try and do it ALL in 1 summer, come hell or high water.

Either way, coming off a strong season there's a lot of things I think you try before gassing it. Trying to fix the D is step one. If we struggle this year all year, we can slowly start the process of trying to clear guys out, but it would probably have to go well into next year and next summer given the term on some of these contracts. Gainey kind of forced us into this core, and the moderate success should probably lead to trying to supplement it without bringing in guys extended beyond the Gio, Gomer, Cammy group.

Like you said, Roy, it's really about tweaking this line-up more than an actual re-build. We have some core players who we can build around already and there is absolutely no way of planning to get a top 3 pick four years in a row with both a cap floor and a draft lottery. We might have a start to a year like this, where we have some bad luck, some injuries, and a handful of players not playing well, but it won't last an entire season, much less four.

I think most of us here agree, whether we're for a complete re-build or against it, that we need to free up some of the cap space devoted to the smaller veteran forwards. I absolutely would not mind trading a Gomez or a Gionta, but I wouldn't be starting a fire sale where we unload all of those guys and only get draft picks in return who are several years away from hitting the NHL. Of players like Gomez, Gio, Cammy, Spacek, Moen, Darche, Gill, Gorges, AK46, etc... there isn't one who another team would give up a top 3 pick for and by the time we figure out who the lottery teams are for this season, those teams are unlikely to want to give up their first round picks, especially for aging vets. Even if you trade all those guys away, you still have Pleks, Pacman, Price, Eller, DD, Subban, etc. left who might win you some games, and you have to fill out the roster (and get to the cap floor), so you can't just stick a dozen rookies in the line-up. I'm not willing to watch four years of Palushaj and Blunden on the first line just so we can get what, a 30% chance of grabbing some top picks that may or may not pan out... and even if they do, there is absolutely no guarantee we would be set up for a Cup run anyways. Washington has Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, and Green and they've flopped in the playoffs. San Jose has had a powerhouse team in the regular season most years and hasn't done squat come May. Even Vancouver with their 2nd and 3rd overall Sedin brothers fell short of a Cup last year, which was also the first time that group even made the finals. Maybe we increase our odds of winning a Cup somewhat, but we're decreasing our odds for years to get there, so it doesn't end up being as rosy as it may seem.

I truly believe that in today's NHL, any team that makes the playoffs has a chance at winning the Cup. We didn't have an overly strong year two years ago and we made the ECF as an 8 seed, only to lose to the 7 seed... I'm not saying we have as good a roster as the Caps or Pens, but we can beat either of those teams in a 7 game series - we already have proof of that. With a great goalie like Carey, it's possible. Yes I think we can still improve the roster. Yes, we need to make a serious move for a top 2 D man if Markov isn't back, and maybe even if he is. But we are really only 2-3 players away from being legitimate contenders, and that can be fixed in 1-2 years, not 5-6. With Carey entering his prime years, the time to build your roster is now, not to waste his talent playing behind Henry and Callahan and St-Denis in your top 4.

Archived