The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Should the use of visors be decided solely by the players themselves?

Should Visor Use Be Decided Only By The Players?

It's a debate in hockey that's older than head shots and no-touch icing.

The issue is the use of visors - and it came up again after Monday's game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and Philadelphia Flyers.

In the first period, Flyers defenceman Chris Pronger and Toronto's Mikhail Grabovski sprinted for a loose puck. Grabovski slapped at the puck and his stick connected with Pronger's stick and the blade went straight up into Pronger's face.

Screaming in pain, Pronger quickly clutched his face and went straight to the dressing room. The Flyers hope their captain - who complained of blurred vision after the incident - will get back in two to three weeks depending on how the injury heals and said that he will need to wear a visor to be cleared to play.

"I think he was very scared and rightly so," GM Paul Holmgren told the Associated Press. "When something like that happens to your eye, you're worried about what's going on."

Which begs the age-old question - should Pronger (like any of his fellow NHLers who still skate on the ice with just a helmet) have worn a visor in the first place?

A lot of players feel the use of visors restrict their vision on the ice and affect their play. The league and players' association have done their best to educate them on health and equipment-related decisions, but wearing a visor is still a choice that a player makes on his own.

Is it time to take that stance a step or two further?

From TSN's Dave Hodge....

Personally,I just want to see where you all stand on this issue.....I kinda still feel that it should be up to the players....they should be able to use their own common sense <_< & use their own judgement/discretion

Visors mandatory, so many goddamn unnecessary injuries, that would be like driving a race car with out a seat belt, or something along those lines. You are expected to compete and if you are injured do to something you fail to do, thats not fair to the owners, the other players, the coach, or the GM.

Actually,68-70 percent of the players do wear it.......just heard this number during this discussion on PRIME TIME SPORTS.

Actually,68-70 percent of the players do wear it.......just heard this number during this discussion on PRIME TIME SPORTS.

I'm pretty sure that the number is higher than that. You would be hard-pressed to find 2-3 guys on every team that don't wear visors. I feel that, given the small number of non-visors, this debate is more about principle than practicality. I say leave it up to the players-they know the risks.

And I don't think there are THAT many injuries. Besides Pronger, what injuries have resulted because of no visor in 2020-2011 or 2011-2012? I may be wrong, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I'm pretty sure that the number is higher than that. You would be hard-pressed to find 2-3 guys on every team that don't wear visors. I feel that, given the small number of non-visors, this debate is more about principle than practicality. I say leave it up to the players-they know the risks.

And I don't think there are THAT many injuries. Besides Pronger, what injuries have resulted because of no visor in 2020-2011 or 2011-2012? I may be wrong, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Ryan Getzlaf, Puck to the forehead. out for a month.

I'm pretty sure that the number is higher than that.

I have heard that number from to different hockey news sources....just reporting it.;)

The NHLPA has strongly encouraged all players to wear a visor, union spokesman Jonathan Weatherdon said. He said the use of visors in the NHL is at an all-time high of about 68 per cent (though rosters change on a regular basis) this season. The NHLPA has been proactive in educating players that wearing a visor decreases the risk of suffering an eye injury.

http://www.therecord.../article/615348

"it affects my play" is bogus. If Sidney Crosby can be the best player in the world wearing one, and Stamkos can score 50 goals wearing one, Chris Pronger can wear one to be a goon. That being said, I guess I still think it's up to the players. You'd think the teams would start calling for it though, imagie Gomez takes a stick to the eye and collects a paycheque for two months for an easily preventable injury.

I think at some point people will look back and think it's absolutely stupid there was a time when visors weren't worn universally. Every player comes up through the ranks having to wear a shield so just grandfather it in like they did with helmets. Any player coming into the league from here on must wear a visor.

I think at some point people will look back and think it's absolutely stupid there was a time when visors weren't worn universally. Every player comes up through the ranks having to wear a shield so just grandfather it in like they did with helmets. Any player coming into the league from here on must wear a visor.

I agree, the 1st generations of visors were hard to play with. They would fog up and the bright lights would cause a glare.

I've never played with a visor myself, so I can't really judge if it's a hindrance or not. Moen only wore his for a few games after his close call. he almost lost an eye, a few centimetres either way and his playing career was over. Yet, he took it off way before he was healed.

I definitely think they should be mandatory. Like has been already mentioned, the players already use them exclusively coming up through the junior ranks. No reason to stop there.

Here are a couple new examples of visors saving a player's eye, and in one example perhaps his life.

Nov 5, 2011 - Drew Doughty takes a deflected puck in the visor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Let-8217-s-all-be-thankful-Drew-Doughty-?urn=nhl-wp16780

Nov 7, 2011 - Daniel Paille slapshot to the face. Scary, scary stuff.

Archived