Perry Pearn relieved of duties

uncivilengineer

Just announced.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=597611

Perry Pearn relieved of his duties

Wednesday, 26.10.2011 / 6:00 PM / News

Montreal Canadiens

PRESS RELEASE

MONTREAL (October 26, 2011) – Montreal Canadiens general manager, Pierre Gauthier, announced today that assistant coach Perry Pearn has been relieved of his duties.

“I want to thank Perry Pearn for his contribution to the Canadiens’ organization over the past three years. He remains a very knowledgeable coach with a strong work ethic and is a true professional. I offered Perry to remain with the organization in a different role,” said Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier.

Perry Pearn joined the Canadiens organization as an assistant coach on July 6, 2009. This was his third season with the club. A native of Stettler, Alberta, Pearn made his NHL debut as an assistant coach with the Winnipeg Jets in 1995-96.

So it begins.

kernel sanders gets fired but not the big cheese?

If more loses continue....won't end there.

what timing...on game day at that.<_<

Problems solved! :rolleyes:

Don't think so.

Something tells me if this ship doesn't right itself soon we can expect more of this in the near future...

Bingo.

that's why I put the eye roll ;)

oops...I missed that lol....gotcha. :D

Like the trade (which cost us very little and gained us another fourth liner) it is window dressing to make it look like something is being done.

Yup.

Look in the mirror PG and JM

Odd firing. If you're going to hold a coach accountable, why not the head coach? Not that I think Jacques should be canned -- far from it. He hasn't been given a good team to work with. The defense is just atrocious, in all phases, and the offense can't. finish. scoring. chances. to save. their. LIVES. Also, we have no net presence, no ability to score on rebounds.

Not much any coach can do with this miserable unit. But thank you, Bob Gainey, for saddling us with Gomez, Cammalleri, and Gionta for five years. And PG should be accountable as well, for not doing more to add real strength to the blueline, and for not burying Scott Gomez (1 assist, 0 goals, -1 rating in 6 GP) in the minors, where he belongs.

I don't get this firing! This should be something that is opening much more!

Gauthier and J. Martin needs to define which kind of team they want and build it! Look at what the Flyers did last summer, trading their 2 better players to reshape the team. Who in the world want a team where among the leaders you have Gionta and Gomez. How come nobody in this team management see that Gomez shot is probably the weakest in the league. Let alone the guy work ethic lately. Better manager take action when needed, like Holmgren is doing. Survivor live with what they have and fire assistant coach, ridiculous move to me! Mr Pearn has nothing to do with that poor team. Get rid of that Gomez for good and start bring guys to build around with winner attitude!

I'm curious to why Pearn got fired. Any ideas?

He handled the specialty teams, I think, which aren't very good.

But how can they be good when there is no quaterback for the PP .

and this team has been taking lazy , stupid penalties for yrs.......

i wonder if he wasn't relieved of his duties because both he and muller were more interested in getting players air time than in playing team hockey.

i think absolutely boucher deciding to leave left a hurt and absolutely BG had something to say about it because the management style hasn't changed that significantly since the kovy/carbs era which was pretty affectatious even then.

upshot: bg is just flat out lucky to have JM- which while not so much better for each individual player on the team it makes for a more effective audience with the masters of the teams fate which turns out not to be the fans or the media, but the owners.

in other words pearn was relieved of his duties to force the team to play for the molsons- who feel like they can best judge the effort so confused by the market forces.

just a thought.

Baffled? I'm not...

The Habs special teams were not working... Pearn was responsible for that and JM's right-hand man.

The message for JM: I'm helping you make a decision that you wouldn't, and be aware... you have only one hand left to play with (Ladoucer and Cunneyworth).

A typical, yet logical, move by Gauthier under the circumstances. Define an area that is broken and try to fix it, while serving notice that a new direction is needed.

But one has to believe there was some quiet pressure from above on PG in the same vein in which Martin has been notified.

Too many cooks and a new look that did not seem to have an impact (Ladoucer and Cunneyworth)... perhaps it was a contemplated transition in any case.

I think it was PG's way of making a move without making a big splash. It's an interesting strategy for sure. Given the slide to start the season, he was in a position (rightfully or wrongfully, I'm not commenting on that specifically) where he was essentially forced to make some sort of move.

Supporters of the move will probably view this as a 'warning shot' of sorts. PG sending a message to the staff and the team that he will make moves if need be.

Detractors or people who think it wasn't enough will criticize PG for being gun-shy. Does an assistant coach make a big enough difference? Perhaps there was something going on behind the scenes.

I've yet to decide how I feel either way. If nothing else, it helps 'shake things up', similar to pulling a goalie early in a game after only two goals. If it works, he looks like a genius. If it fails, well, they're right where they were before.

Archived