The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NCAAvs CHL

MkGee

What league do you think puts out the higher quality of players out of the two? In my opinion its the CHL but i was humbled when i realized how many great guys came out of the NCAA. So im curious to know what your thoughts are on this subject, it was a poll question but i guess the internet had other ideas hahah

If you're asking which league has a higher quality of competition in my mind it's a slam dunk that it's division 1 of the NCAA. The on ice quality of the players is higher and it's quite simply because of the age difference. NCAA doesn't house 15-16-17 year old kids and it doesn't stop at age 20, there's much older and more physically developed players. So if you look at it in that vacuum the NCAA is better.

If you're asking what league puts more high quality players into the NHL, it's the CHL. It's not only the more conventional way to go, but it grabs kids earlier. You don't have to wait until graduating high school to go play CHL hockey. You can't switch from the CHL to the NCAA so that's not an option (although it would be beneficial).

Now the most complicated question is, what is the best route? I'll say for higher end kids (potential 1st or 2nd rounders) the best option is the CHL. First of all, you get to play high quality hockey younger, rather than waiting until you've graduated high school and spending the mean time in inferior leagues, like the USHL for example. That's the big factor. A more pro like schedule is another big factor.

NCAA is more skilled but the CHL develops youngster better.

I've often wondered if it develops younger players better, or more talented youngsters just choose that route more often. I mean, it's definitely the quickest route to the NHL because of how long you have to wait to play in the NCAA, relatively speaking.

IMO the NCAA is a better route unless you're a legitimate 1st or 2nd round prospect. Players like Hall, Seguin, Nugent-Hopkins, Hamilton, etc etc, the CHL is arguably a better choice, because you'll already be in the NHL by the time you're old enough for the NCAA. Granted, Toews and Kessel both came out of the NCAA, and they're damn good players too.

If you're asking which league has a higher quality of competition in my mind it's a slam dunk that it's division 1 of the NCAA. The on ice quality of the players is higher and it's quite simply because of the age difference. NCAA doesn't house 15-16-17 year old kids and it doesn't stop at age 20, there's much older and more physically developed players. So if you look at it in that vacuum the NCAA is better.

If you're asking what league puts more high quality players into the NHL, it's the CHL. It's not only the more conventional way to go, but it grabs kids earlier. You don't have to wait until graduating high school to go play CHL hockey. You can't switch from the CHL to the NCAA so that's not an option (although it would be beneficial).

Now the most complicated question is, what is the best route? I'll say for higher end kids (potential 1st or 2nd rounders) the best option is the CHL. First of all, you get to play high quality hockey younger, rather than waiting until you've graduated high school and spending the mean time in inferior leagues, like the USHL for example. That's the big factor. A more pro like schedule is another big factor.

Agreed IMO the NCAA is by far the best route for athletes to hone their skills while educating themselves,therein lies the major decision for young adults and their parents.The CHL is the quick route and players that want to continue their education really have their hands full.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived