The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Hockey Markets, and the players that won't play in them.

habs_93

This is something that's really on my nerves.

Players in the NBA, NFL, and MLB don't expect to cash their pay checks while they mail in their performances, confident they won't get called out by a media which gives them fifth string coverage at best, or the fans, if any exist. This league routinely has teams which play in front of nearly empty arenas, and a class of players has gotten spoiled because of it. It's ridiculous, and it's harmful to hockey.

Players in the NBA, NFL, and MLB don't expect to cash their pay checks while they mail in their performances, confident they won't get called out by a media which gives them fifth string coverage at best, or the fans, if any exist. This league routinely has teams which play in front of nearly empty arenas, and a class of players has gotten spoiled because of it. It's ridiculous, and it's harmful to hockey.

when I read the title, I thought you were talking about Edmonton and Calgary

but I don't understand the OP in regards to the title

Really?

I'm of the opinion that MLB and NBA would be the worst offenders in terms of being ridiculously overpaid in comparison to performances.

There are plenty of MLB and NBA cities that get less-than-ideal attendance too.

In the NFL, it's completely different because in many cases, the sheer level of talent (and the very short length of careers) dictates how replaceable players are.

Really?

I'm of the opinion that MLB and NBA would be the worst offenders in terms of being ridiculously overpaid in comparison to performances.

I think I really misworded this.

I'm not arguing that other sports leagues have players who play better for the money. I'm arguing that other leagues don't have classes of players who refuse to play in cities which have intense media scrutiny, because all the cities have intense media scrutiny. You don't hear about basketball players who wouldn't want to sign in L.A. because of the supposed "pressure" of it, something you do hear often about hockey players, due in no small part to there being upwards of a dozen teams which are almost anonymous in their communities.

I'm not arguing that other sports leagues have players who play better for the money. I'm arguing that other leagues don't have classes of players who refuse to play in cities which have intense media scrutiny, because all the cities have intense media scrutiny. You don't hear about basketball players who wouldn't want to sign in L.A. because of the supposed "pressure" of it, something you do hear often about hockey players, due in no small part to there being upwards of a dozen teams which are almost anonymous in their communities.

Really it hurts the players. Paul Kariya probably would have been way popular in bigger markets, he just liked smaller ones. Danny Briere is a joke, saying hes anonymous in Philly as opposed to Montreal like the flyers fans arent hockey nuts

Really?

There are plenty of MLB and NBA cities that get less-than-ideal attendance too.

In the NFL, it's completely different because in many cases, the sheer level of talent (and the very short length of careers) dictates how replaceable players are.

The NHL is just as bad relative to league revenue. The cap floor has caused more bad contracts and has basically eliminated the "2nd contract", players go from their ELC to big money. Baseball has better spending control on younger players.

Also attendance is one thing, MLB and NBA have much more money coming in through their TV deals (and definitely MLB in terms of gate money too, actually).

The NBA and MLB don't have a hard cap like the NHL, so the bigger markets can not only pay more, but tend to have a better chance of winning year to year. Look at Detroit, it's a pretty big market but everyone seems to want to go there because they win.

Also, the bigger markets in those sports are really, legitimately big cities, it's not the same fishbowl as it is to play in Edmonton or Calgary or Winnipeg. It's a different ball game in New York or LA.

Archived