The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Martin Fired

roy_133

Carlyle, the guy who just got fired because he couldn't motivate an Anaheim team that was pretty talented on paper. Sound familiar?

I like Carlyle, FWIW. But it's a joke how everyone pins the blame on coaches when things go wrong. Coaches coach systems and manage the game. Core motivation has to come from the players themselves. This is pro hockey, not peewee, nor is it a set-play sport like football where one coach's specific schemes and formations can transform a team. In the end, hockey is hockey, and the team that wins is the one that drafts and builds well, doesn't make panic moves under fan / media pressure, and has the good fortune to be free of major injuries.

Carlyle, the guy who just got fired because he couldn't motivate an Anaheim team that was pretty talented on paper. Sound familiar?

I like Carlyle, FWIW. But it's a joke how everyone pins the blame on coaches when things go wrong. Coaches coach systems and manage the game. Core motivation has to come from the players themselves. This is pro hockey, not peewee, nor is it a set-play sport like football where one coach's specific schemes and formations can transform a team. In the end, hockey is hockey, and the team that wins is the one that drafts and builds well, doesn't make panic moves under fan / media pressure, and has the good fortune to be free of major injuries.

No no, it's the job of the coach to get grown men motivated. The 4 million plus dollars they are getting paid per year clearly isn't enough.

I just heard the news and I'm actually pretty floored. I haven't been his biggest fan at times, but since their abysmal start the Habs actually have a pretty decent record and I think he's done pretty well considering the injuries. I never thought his job was 100% safe, but the timing seems really weird to me, especially with no real replacements available right now.

Right now, we are spending $24 million against the cap on four players, three of whom are injured (Gionta, Gomez, Markov) and one of whom is simply dogging it this season (Cammalleri). I ask you: is this Jacques's fault? What are you supposed to do when nearly half the team's payroll is tied up in unproductive assets?

Right now, we are spending $24 million against the cap on four players, three of whom are injured (Gionta, Gomez, Markov) and one of whom is simply dogging it this season (Cammalleri). I ask you: is this Jacques's fault? What are you supposed to do when nearly half the team's payroll is tied up in unproductive assets?

Use the next best player in even strength situations in Darche instead of allowing your best goal scorers do their thing.

About time.

Next up, Gauthier.

I really have no problem with Gauthier, he goes out and adresses our needs.

Bob Gaineys plan: Take a team that is inconsistent with small perimeter players and questionable defense. Replace it with small perimeter players on long term overpaid contracts who are inconsistent, and an even more questionable defense.

Gauthier: Go out find veteran rental players for playoff push (Moore, Mara, Sopel) move players who don't like it here (Lappiere SK). Move 2nd round bust for goaltender to help Farm team (maxwell for Dawes+Mac) and he goes out and signs a big fast winger in Eric Cole, finds backups who play well behind Carey, and got us a very good big centre in Eller for Halak who has struggled in St louis.

Really, Gauthier has done a pretty decent job here, he may have given away a few too many draft picks but thats to make the playoffs which if we didnt the fans would have called for his head. Hes made some risks that didn't work out, but he isn't perfect.

trade/ waive them

It's kind of funny, for the amount we ragged on Martin and his system over the years, no one here really seems to want him gone now that he is. I understand the sentiment, as much as we're screwing up now, for some reason it doesn't seem like the right move to have gone with at this moment. The fault can be placed just as much on underachieving players not playing like they should as a coaching problem, and this just seems like another easy pawn to flip like dropping Pearn.

Either way, good luck to Martin in the future, and same to Cunneyworth! You're in the pressure-cooker now, man.

ahhh yes, one more step closer to that top 5 draft pick.

oh wait, i'm sorry i mean

WOOO YES!!! FIRST PLACE HERE WE COME :rolleyes:

Getting rid of Martin will solve everything!

- Markov's knee will magically heal to 100%

- Scot Gomez will remember how to play hockey and put up 70 points in the remainder of the season

- Hal Gill will no longer move at the speed of a mountain, he will move at the speed of light

- Cammi will be interested again

- Emelin will become fluent in English and recite Shakespere

- Weber will become a top 2 defenceman, never to turn over the puck again

- Moen will heal and become a 50 goal scorer

- PK Subban will become the next Doug Harvey and win the Norris.

- Carey Price will set a record for most shutouts in a season and the playoffs!

- Josh Georges will log 28 mins a game and score 40 points because he's Josh Georges, he has tiger blood in him and the heart of a lion.

- DD will finally get his last growth spurt and be over 6'1 and will crush anyone in his path

- Everything that is lacking in our team will be changed because it was Martin all along that held us back.

You know what is really sad? I can see at least 3 of those points being hailed as the truth and that is just sad.

Martin took a bunch of lemons (and believe me we have some lemons on this team) and made lemonade each season. What else were we expecting with what we had? Feed all the hungry too? :rolleyes:

How are we going to trade Gomez who has a limited NTC, I highly doubt we can find more than 3 teams to take on his salary, Gionta who is injured, and Cammalleri who is having a terrible season. We'd get lower than their value and complain once they pick it up somewhere else.

Like i said...trade/ waive them...you waive Scott Gomez

Going ahead I really don't know who I want to coach this team. I definitely don't want Muller, at least not at this point in his hockey career. I'm not really crazy about hearing Patrick Roy's name thrown around... loved him as a player but he rubs me the wrong way as a person. I also don't see him being the best fit for some reason. Carlyle did worse than Martin in Anaheim with much more talent, and if player motivation is part of the problem I don't think Carlyle is the answer. If Boucher did become available I wouldn't be heartbroken to see him given a try, though I'd prefer Martin. A different team might mean a different system for Boucher, and I'm not interested in seeing the Habs play a 1-3-1. I don't know much about Marc Crawford's coaching style, but as a TSN analyst he doesn't seem very bright.

Out of everybody right now I think it's best the team simply waits. Maybe Cunneyworth will turn out to be pretty decent.

Archived