The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Martin Fired

roy_133

As Hab's head coach JM went 96 wins - 75 losses - 25 OT losses (so 96 - 100) thats not that great.

As head coach of a loaded Sens team he got nowhere near a cup.

As GM of Florida nothing happened & they blew chunks (funny how a few after he leaves Florida is now doing MUCH better)

JM had Cole stapled to the bench because he didn't score on the PP (for the canes LOL) we are seening how smart that was now that Cole has been unleashed.

Shoot out after shoot out DD is our #1 shooter ? (really?) AK , Patches , Plecks , Cole , Cammy on the bench because they are cold? (ever hear of pratice makes perfect).. oh wait I forgot about the story i read about JM having a soft spot for DD .... LOL

A coach does NOT motivate the star players by benching them & using players that will never be in the same league skill wise.

This move is 100% fine by me... I see the story on the main site now showing Randy "involved" with a ref :D , perhaps he will motivate the players by actually looking as if he "cares"....

( what we didn't see was JM (poker faced) & writing in his note book ... "fired , seek new job, location not important , job title not important ,salary not important , getting hired not important)

.. still I hope he manages to do ok where ever he goes... just NOT here.

Are you serious with that Florida comment? The reason he didn't do well in Florida is because Florida was garbage and didn't open up their wallet until this past off season. They're also getting great play from guys who were rejects from other teams. It's like JM came to Montreal in 2009-2010 and Florida turned it around. That's an absolute joke of you're to trying to imply that. In his career as a coach, dating back to 1986 he's missed the playoffs 4 times. We went from 88 points in 2009-2010 to 96 points last season. People need to stop crapping all over JM, the reason we suck is because your favorite current players are not performing.

Thing is, you can tell when a team has quit on a coach. The team hadn't quit on Martin, unless you count rallying three times from one-goal deficits against the Flyers to be quitting on a coach. They execute his system well, the talent is just lacking outside of a few key pieces like Price, Plekanec, Markov (obvs when healthy), and Subban.

Like I said, I wasn't saying it was the case in Montreal. Nevertheless, motivation is not all or nothing. Just because a team hasn't "quit" on their coach doesn't rule out a lack of motivation or commitment. I trust PG knows much more of the dressing room situation than we do.

I just heard the news and I'm actually pretty floored. I haven't been his biggest fan at times, but since their abysmal start the Habs actually have a pretty decent record and I think he's done pretty well considering the injuries. I never thought his job was 100% safe, but the timing seems really weird to me, especially with no real replacements available right now.

I knew his days were numbered when he got the kiss of death vote of confidence ten days ago. I just didn't expect it this early untie year, especially after the trade and recent uptick in results. I mean he's 3-1-3 in his last 7, with a combination of Ahl and AARP defense corps and mike lip balm cammamlleri floating out there. This wasn't justified.

Wow not sure whether I'm happy about this move or not. I don't think firing Martin will change anything to be honest. I'm not a Martin fan by any means in fact I hated his "system" but he was an experienced coach.

This team is built on a shaky foundation of over priced free agents and I think a major shake up is needed in terms of player movement not just a coaching change.

Jacques was fired

Oh really :rolleyes:

Lol....just getting home from work...just heard of this few hrs ago.......does Gomez go with him?<_<

Anyways....never a great time to see anyone fired from their job......too bad Jacques.....hope you have better success down the road & bounce back.

i just hope that they hire the best coach out there...

GHC is available ;)

I hope Jacques finds success in his future endeavors.

this

lol.........yea Randy Cunneywroth is goign to lead the Habs to the promised land

Hmmmmmm, can he speak French :lol:

:lol: :lol: ..........................................................................................................ok.

Are you serious with that Florida comment? The reason he didn't do well in Florida is because Florida was garbage and didn't open up their wallet until this past off season. They're also getting great play from guys who were rejects from other teams. It's like JM came to Montreal in 2009-2010 and Florida turned it around. That's an absolute joke of you're to trying to imply that. In his career as a coach, dating back to 1986 he's missed the playoffs 4 times. We went from 88 points in 2009-2010 to 96 points last season. People need to stop crapping all over JM, the reason we suck is because your favorite current players are not performing.

Agreed the players are to blame for this lousy season it's not all Martin's fault

The times, they are a changin'.

For us.....couldn't be soon enough

TSN. "A team release has indicated that Larry Carriere will become an assistant coach." Who?

Doesn't he work down at the car wash? :blink:

Assistant GM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....that guy.:rolleyes:

Who actually fired him? ;)

:ph34r:

The first real coach we have had in a long time. A coach WITH experience. Not some young hot head with 0 experience

A coach with experience yes. And a good coach if you're watching hockey to see coaching. Not me. I watch hockey to see my team win every night they play. I know it's not realistic but I want to see everyone play hard every night and the players that are not working hard should remain on the bench. Martin played his veterans whether they performed or not.

Imagine your boss telling you "Here's 4m a year for the next 4-5 years. Go out and work hard everyday."

Well some people will but I'm sure others will take the odd day off. That's when a good coach steps in and plays the guys that are performing now and sit the ones who are dragging their feet. Some players need to be motivated once in awhile, and I don't think Martin did a good job doing this.

Martin coached to get a win here and there. Hence his record after 17 years in the league: 1294g - 613w.

How are we going to trade Gomez who has a limited NTC, I highly doubt we can find more than 3 teams to take on his salary,

Just be happy to find just one .......gotta be another sucker out there.....Sather found us.<_<

A coach with experience yes. And a good coach if you're watching hockey to see coaching. Not me. I watch hockey to see my team win every night they play. I know it's not realistic but I want to see everyone play hard every night and the players that are not working hard should remain on the bench. Martin played his veterans whether they performed or not.

If you know you're not being realistic, why do you expect the impossible? No one plays hard every night. And I've got news for you: Martin isn't the only coach in the NHL who plays his veterans. Moreover, players like Subban, Pacioretty, Cole, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Emelin, and Eller have all done well under Martin. If you're going to blame him when we fail, you also need to give him credit for when players succeed.

If you know you're not being realistic, why do you expect the impossible? No one plays hard every night. And I've got news for you: Martin isn't the only coach in the NHL who plays his veterans. Moreover, players like Subban, Pacioretty, Cole, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Emelin, and Eller have all done well under Martin. If you're going to blame him when we fail, you also need to give him credit for when players succeed.

They can't do it, because they need to believe he was all bad all the time. We got to the Conference finals and it was all the players, not one bit of it had to do with the coaching. I love being a Habs fan and I enjoy conversing with Habs fans, but sometimes they live up to the stuck up/arrogant/know it all stereotype that's been given to them. They can't admit things. Yes, JM was not the best coach in the league. He made crazy decisions, justified in a crazy way, but he was the best coach this team had seen since the early 90s. Just because he didn't fly off the handle, people turned against him. Ridiculous. When we get a coach who does, you will all flip your switches and want one that keeps his damn mouth shut.

I'm happy. I agree it's not all his fault but his player management has been quite suspect, overplaying some and underplaying others, while being unable to make convincing in-game adjustments. As an example, I have to feel there is a better option than giving Mathieu Darche 16 minutes a night game in game out. I hope we find out what it is.

I think that Martin failed to adapt to the team he was given this year. Obviously MTL's defense was weaker this year so there should have been more emphasis on trying to keep the puck in the offensive zone and cycling the puck. If you play a trap system you are relying on your defense to be positioned properly and make the right play at the right time. Most teams get around the trap by playing a dump and chase meaning it's not fool proof unless you have a talented group of defensive players like Boston (hate to say it) who can retrieve the puck first and make the right pass out of the zone.

If you watched the New York Islanders game recently, MTL had the lead and lost it by playing the trap. As soon as MTL luckily regained the lead instead of playing the trap they went on the attack. NYI didn't get much of an opportunity after that while MTL had a few great scoring chances. If you keep the puck down in the offensive zone and continue to cycle the puck you control the play and kill time on the clock. Not only that you have a chance to possibly add to your lead. MTL might not have size but they are quick and you can play a cycle game based on quickness.

A little OT though

agreed...just was replying back to your post.......End of discussion.;)

First order of business,,,can he wake up Cammy???

hummmmmmmmm

As an example, I have to feel there is a better option than giving Mathieu Darche 16 minutes a night game in game out. I hope we find out what it is.

Nonsense. Darche has not played 16 minutes 'game in and game out'. He played 16 minutes last game and the only reason you've even mentioning it is because Marinaro brought it up post-game. What Marinaro didn't mention was that every other top-six forward we have logged around Darche's ice time or greater. Guys like Cammalleri and Plekanec were at 20+ minutes because they were logging a lot of time on the PP and on the PK. Martin was missing an entire line in Gomez, Gionta, and Moen. You can only play a player so much before he wears down.

Nonsense. Darche has not played 16 minutes 'game in and game out'. He played 16 minutes last game and the only reason you've even mentioning it is because Marinaro brought it up post-game. What Marinaro didn't mention was that every other top-six forward we have logged around Darche's ice time or greater. Guys like Cammalleri and Plekanec were at 20+ minutes because they were logging a lot of time on the PP and on the PK. Martin was missing an entire line in Gomez, Gionta, and Moen. You can only play a player so much before he wears down.

I may be wrong about the ice time - I read it somewhere and I don't even know who Tony Marinaro is. If he got less than all the "Other" top 6 forwards, it's because in no way shape or form, on no team even Columbus, does he qualify as a top 6 forward. There is certainly depleted person power, but I'm willing to bet quite a few guys got less time than him by a long shot. And he has had virtually 0 positive impact this year. How about giving someone...anyone ...a better chance. Didn't Nokaleinen (sp) get the winning goal the night before? How much ice time did he get?

Leblanc got less than 5 mins last night...

The kid is coming off a shoulder surgery and played 14 games before being called up. Why throw him into the fire and have him play 15-18 minutes a game? He doesn't need to be that guy, he's still learning. We complain about Leblanc not being given enough ice time, yet complain that Subban is playing too much. These guys don't need to be anywhere near the top of the team in ice time. 5 minutes is fine. If he scores a goal in 5 minutes of playing then good for us. It's not that serious, people are making it sound like JM was pulling a Melrose and only playing Stamkos 8 minutes a game.

LOL we must the team with the highest number of ex coaches currently coaching another NHL team...and now we are without one ourselves. ahh...re-hire Carbo? :P

Put it this way...Plekanec has been here 8 years...This will be his 5th coach.

I'm happy. I agree it's not all his fault but his player management has been quite suspect, overplaying some and underplaying others, while being unable to make convincing in-game adjustments. As an example, I have to feel there is a better option than giving Mathieu Darche 16 minutes a night game in game out. I hope we find out what it is.

lol. Darche has averaged 10:27 of ice time per game this year. The only players averaging less ice time are:

-Nokelainen

-Blunden

-Palushaj

-Engqvist

-Leblanc

Looks like 4th liners and a kid who has played 3 games in the NHL coming off shoulder surgery. Half those names don't belong in the NHL.

lol. Darche has averaged 10:27 of ice time per game this year. The only players averaging less ice time are:

-Nokelainen

-Blunden

-Palushaj

-Engqvist

-Leblanc

Looks like 4th liners and a kid who has played 3 games in the NHL coming off shoulder surgery. Half those names don't belong in the NHL.

i'm sure someone will find a way to blame the shoulder surgery on Martin too ;)

Archived