The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Martin Fired

roy_133

The only reason why we believe Darche gets a lot of ice time is because he makes himself visible on every shift. He works really hard on/off the ice thus leading us to have a perception he's playing more than a player like gomez.

Shoot out after shoot out DD is our #1 shooter ? (really?) AK , Patches , Plecks , Cole , Cammy on the bench because they are cold? (ever hear of pratice makes perfect).. oh wait I forgot about the story i read about JM having a soft spot for DD .... LOL

Montreal went 6 times in shootout this season, DD was used 3 times (and scored once). Let's not exaggerate shall we.

It's Gauthier who really needs to go, the Habs drafting record in the last several years has been atrocious.

There's a difference between getting a top 10 pick and getting the kind of picks we have. Instead of tanking a few seasons like the pens/chicago/edmonton/etc. we are riding the ok-mediocre line so we keep getting middle-of-first-round choices.

When we had a top pick (5 overall), we got Price. So that tells you.

We actually have a pretty decent drafting record. (we also would have a good defenseman.. problem is we traded him to NY Rangers in the Gomez trade, guess who won that one?)

Sportsnet is reporting that releasing JM may have come from high upbove....( J.Molson)....if so...if true....sends a strong message to a Mr.PG

When we had a top pick (5 overall), we got Price. So that tells you.

That was a lottery pick

(we also would have a good defenseman.. problem is we traded him to NY Rangers in the Gomez trade, guess who won that one?)

We neeed to make the trade

Without Gomez , Gionta and Cammilieri wouldn't have signed here , so some say .

Sportsnet is reporting that releasing JM may have come from high upbove....( J.Molson)....if so...if true....sends a strong message to a Mr.PG

Knowing Sportsnet, that's probably 95% speculation, exactly the kind of innuendo that sports journalists can float without being accountable. Not picking on you, FH. I just hate these kinds of non-stories based on rumor and anonymous sources. Journalism at its lowest.

Just my opinion, but I still believe that we would have gotten Gionta and Cammalleri without Gomez. We put the best offers on the table for the latter two players, and that's why they signed here. Cammalleri even admitted as much -- Toronto was one of the bidders, but we made a better offer.

Knowing Sportsnet, that's probably 95% speculation, exactly the kind of innuendo that sports journalists can float without being accountable. Not picking on you, FH. I just hate these kinds of non-stories based on rumor and anonymous sources. Journalism at its lowest.

It was actually reported from Montreal...the reporter at the bell center.....was just aired on sportsnet...the panel just discussed it,that's all.

We didn't need to make that trade. They would surely have come anyway. Even if we had to make that trade, they should have never let that guy go. We knew he was gonna be good.

Not picking on you, FH. I just hate these kinds of non-stories based on rumor and anonymous sources. Journalism at its lowest.

No problem weep.:P

Just my opinion, but I still believe that we would have gotten Gionta and Cammalleri without Gomez. We put the best offers on the table for the latter two players, and that's why they signed here. Cammalleri even admitted as much -- Toronto was one of the bidders, but we made a better offer.

I know you hate Marinaro but he reported earlier in the season that the highest offer Cammalleri received(besides the Habs) was from Ottawa and it was something like $4.5M with less term.

Guest habs1952

If I'm not mistaken Brian Burke was in Europe the day Cammalleri talked to the Leafs possibly indicating to Cammy the Leafs weren't that interested in him. I also heard Cammy didn't want to play in his home town and who could blame him with the poor team at the time and the attention he would get.

I know you hate Marinaro but he reported earlier in the season that the highest offer Cammalleri received(besides the Habs) was from Ottawa and it was something like $4.5M with less term.

Oh, was it Ottawa? I have tried hard to find the link with Cammalleri but have been unsuccessful. But yes, that doesn't surprise me. Cammalleri was coming off a subpar season in Calgary and there were questions about his compete level and his ability to be consistent. So we overpaid on term, and on salary. That's why we got him.

It was actually reported from Montreal...the reporter at the bell center.....was just aired on sportsnet...the panel just discussed it,that's all.

All just non-stories. Any time a shakeup is made, somebody floats the rumor that ownership is displeased. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. But IMO we have no way of knowing one way or another. The Molsons certainly aren't going to admit to it, nor would Gauthier. Considering that Martin wasn't Gauthier's man, the probability is that Gauthier made this move, just like he canned Pearn.

We didn't need to make that trade. They would surely have come anyway. Even if we had to make that trade, they should have never let that guy go. We knew he was gonna be good.

I was being sarcastic when I wrote " we needed to make the trade " , 'cause I keep reading here how some feel the Habs would never have got Gionta AND Cammilieri without Gomez ,

Yes they would have come here .

When you offer someone $5 million for 4 or 5 yrs , they will come :P

IMO , BG put together a small , medicore team and it hasn't gotten any better

The goaltending of Halak AND Price makes this team look better than they really are

Any time a shakeup is made, somebody floats the rumor that ownership is displeased. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not.

agree

Are you serious with that Florida comment? The reason he didn't do well in Florida is because Florida was garbage and didn't open up their wallet until this past off season. They're also getting great play from guys who were rejects from other teams. It's like JM came to Montreal in 2009-2010 and Florida turned it around. That's an absolute joke of you're to trying to imply that. In his career as a coach, dating back to 1986 he's missed the playoffs 4 times. We went from 88 points in 2009-2010 to 96 points last season. People need to stop crapping all over JM, the reason we suck is because your favorite current players are not performing.

I think the "main" point I was trying to make was a bit missed . (maybe it didn't type as well as I wanted it to come across).

Will mention the Florida part 1st tho... No JM was NOT the main reason they didn't do well (just like here now) .. but.. he was in charge of the "wallet" there in Florida , so if they didn't do well because the money wasn't spent on getting players, then its "mostly" the GM's fault is it not? ( I guess he was in a bit of a lifeless rut there too)

As you said .. the money was spent lately (by their present GM) & lo & behold , doing much better.

I agree JM is NOT a bad coach , its just a matter of not seeming to be involved/motivated (has gotten complacent).

There is no replacement that will have more experience than JM has ... But... out of all the seasons he has been around (all of them) there is no cup & 2 losses in the conference finals .. almost ALL other years was a 1st round exit. JM is basically "just" doing enough to maintain a 50/50 record (or slightly better) & thats NOT going to cut it if the Hab's want a cup. ( & no , I highly doubt we will see one any time soon with a "new" coach either)

Its just kind of getting old & I am sure the Hab's brass see it that way too...(I mean come on .. really as good as DD is , should he be lead shooter in a shoot out? ... JM said Cole didn't score in PP for the Canes , so he won't here either & Darche does a better job screening than Cole on the PP ?

Experienced only goes so far & JM is stuck in his ways (ways which usually only work out well 50% of the time), Its like a goalie . After the shooters in the league see a goalie enough they have a book on him & know where to score.. JM's tricks are in a book & for the most part there are no new tricks being added to keep things fresh . He has roughly 1200 games under his belt & has won "slightly" over 50% of them ... that's not bringing a cup to Montreal .

Perhaps a new bag of tricks (coach) may.

I know one thing , the players should be picking it WAY UP too , they are putting on the CANADIANS jersey ! ...so you MUST win ! there is no other option , they are not playing for the rest of the teams in the league so they can coast here & there , they are playing for THE MONTREAL CANADIANS !

Lafleur & the Rocket (to name a few ;) are not impressed with the season (so far :) ...

Oh, was it Ottawa? I have tried hard to find the link with Cammalleri but have been unsuccessful. But yes, that doesn't surprise me. Cammalleri was coming off a subpar season in Calgary and there were questions about his compete level and his ability to be consistent. So we overpaid on term, and on salary. That's why we got him.

All just non-stories. Any time a shakeup is made, somebody floats the rumor that ownership is displeased. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. But IMO we have no way of knowing one way or another. The Molsons certainly aren't going to admit to it, nor would Gauthier. Considering that Martin wasn't Gauthier's man, the probability is that Gauthier made this move, just like he canned Pearn.

Not to go off topic, but Cammy was actually coming off a career year when we signed him. I thought it was a great deal at the time.

Hey all, settle me a bet. Someone on the Caps boards things it is a RULE that a Montreal coach must speak French.... I said, no, the only requirement is winning...

Vrais? ou False?

PS: Good luck getting out of your funk!

hmm, I dont think there is a set in stone rule but it is expected the coach can speak french. Which is kind of funny when you think about it. Teams like Dallas and LA dont have to have a coach that is fluent in spanish even though there is a large population that speak the language.

We can blame part of this on the French Media. They are the ones usually stirring the pot and making a mountain out of a mole hill. You just have to look back over the years when Saku Koivu was captain and see what I mean.

If Scotty Bowman, the greatest hockey coach of all time, came out of retirement and offered to coach the habs for free and brought Steve Yzerman as an assistant coach; the french media would moan that they are not French speaking *note* I am positive Scotty can speak it but my point is we could have the greatest player, coach, goalie, etc etc and if they didnt speak French the media would cry about it.

Also the habs had a non french speaking coach once, actually won a cup too :)

Archived