The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #36 | Montreal Vs Winnipeg | 22 December 2011 8:30 pm EST

beaubie

1zyuqo.png

Frustration is growing for interim coach Randy Cunneyworth and the Montreal Canadiens.

The Winnipeg Jets would like to keep Montreal frustrated for at least one more game.

Cunneyworth gets a fourth chance at his first win when the Canadiens visit the Jets on Thursday night.

Montreal has dropped four in a row, with three of those defeats coming since Cunneyworth replaced the fired Jacques Martin behind the bench.

While the slide is still two shy of the Canadiens' season-high six-game skid Oct. 13-24, criticism of Cunneyworth is going beyond on-ice performance.

A 5-1 loss at Chicago on Wednesday certainly didn't help his cause, as Montreal surrendered five unanswered goals. Some of the Canadiens let their emotions show in the dressing room after the defeat.

"We have some angry guys in there. Some frustrated guys, because we want better results," Cunneyworth said. "We'll see if we can kind of turn it in our direction and use that frustration to our advantage (in Winnipeg), but obviously we have to get our heads into it for a complete game"

Montreal certainly played a complete game in its last visit to Winnipeg on Oct. 9, winning 5-1 to spoil the Jets' return to the NHL.

Tomas Plekanec had one goal and two assists in that meeting, and leads the Canadiens with 27 points despite ranking last with a minus-8. The center was a minus-three while assisting on Montreal's lone goal - a power-play tally by Andrei Kostitsyn - on Wednesday.

Eric Cole was kept off the score sheet by the Blackhawks, but still has five goals and two assists in his last seven games and leads the Canadiens with 13 goals on the season.

He had a five-game goal-scoring streak against the Winnipeg/Atlanta franchise halted in October.

Carey Price figures to be back in net for Montreal after being rested Wednesday, as backup Peter Budaj made 23 saves but fell to 1-4-0.

Price has a 4.08 goals-against average during a personal three-game slide, but he stopped 30 shots at Winnipeg two months ago.

The Jets are 11-5-1 at the loud MTS Centre, but fell to 2-1-1 on their current six-game homestand after losing 3-2 in a shootout to the New York Islanders on Tuesday.

"Right now, when I look at our team play, we don't have the chemistry that we had before," coach Claude Noel said. "It doesn't seem to be the cohesiveness that we're looking for that we had before."

Evander Kane leads the Jets with 15 goals and 25 points, but he has just one assist in his last four games. He failed to score against the Islanders despite putting six shots on net.

Ondrej Pavelec made 31 saves Tuesday for Winnipeg as his second consecutive quality effort went for naught. He's allowed three goals on 61 shots over his last two starts, but has lost both.

"It's my job to make some saves," Pavelec said. "It was frustration to see our guys in their zone just throwing the pucks away. We didn't (get) traffic in front."

Pavelec made only 17 saves in the October meeting with the Canadiens.

It's the last game before the holidays so hopefully we can all be left with a nice surprise.

Thanks hrf.

This seems like a pretty even matchup when you look at the numbers. Save for a few differences. I'm not sure what to expect actually.

I think I've gotten to the point where I actually don't care if they win a game. That's sad, really, and I never thought that I would feel that way. I'm really meh right now with the team. Obviously, I'd be happy if they won but I think I've kinda hoped on the tank wagon :melow:

Michael Cammalleri - Coach talk a distraction to team? Type of coach Cunneyworth is? Asked about first goal scored in MTS Centre. Keys to tonight. Importance of first goal. What is wrong with the Habs?

P.K.Subban - Trying to do too much. Accountability. Making mistakes. Mood in the room. Coach have authority? Sticking to game plan. Pressure on team. Playing in front of the MTS Centre crowd.

Travis Moen - Keys to beating the Jets. Team frustration. Importance of win. Impact of loss to Hawks. Team leaders stepping up. Accountability. Team focus. System changes.

Coach Cunneyworth - Welcome to Winnipeg. Importance of tonight's game. Touches on loss to Hawks. Taking anything from the Home Opener? Close to having everyone on board? Players being accountable. Asked about coaching controversy. Who he leans on. Fun of being a head coach.

For those wanting to hear the Winnipeg side;

Scrums with Ondrej Pavelc, Chris Mason (talking his new pads), Nik Antropov, Andrew Ladd and Alexander Burmistrov.

Thanks for the GDT beaubie, we're pinning our hopes on your GDT to give us a W. for Christmas, otherwise we'll have 4 days to look at that lump of coal that is the Habs.

That lump of Cole is about the only good thing in my stocking so far this year. :)

I'm not sure what to expect actually.

:lol: yes we do.

Awesome GDT.

agreed

wow i see not very many peeps come on here like pre,years must be the twitter thing, going to be a tough game tonight for the #HABS after playing in old town chicogo,and with the jets waiting advantage for the jets this is what a don,t like with the teams in the east going all the way out to peg even harder on a back to back nights ,good luck

unless i have my geography totally screwed up we are moving into farm county up there in winnipeg. i like the atmoshpere for RC's first win. tune in.

(this has been a non-politcal announcement with nothing intended other than having to avoid making anyone a hot chocolate for christmas perhaps.)

:lol::lol:

Was not on here last night....noticed that the mods had their work cut out for them,when I read posts from the GDT after the game...............SMARTEN UP PEOPLE :rolleyes:

oh yea....good luck habs.<_<

Well it would appear we will no longer have problems beating the bottom teams because we are on the bottom looking up ourselves. Let's see if we can get anything going soon but personally I think this is as 'good' as it gets. Might get some spark back if any of the IR returns but by then it will may be too late for a reversal.

Sorry for not feeling very pumped up at the moment.....but never less.....ALMOST GAME TIME......ARE YOU READY? <_<

Sorry for not feeling very pumped up at the moment.....but never less.....ALMOST GAME TIME......ARE YOU READY? <_<

I'm way more than ready, kubby. I'm dying for the moment our players smile, Carey gets rewarded for being our only consistent player. A win. A spike in confidence. A comeback.

Where's that Christmas spirit people??? Were winning this one cause the mods are getting sick of deleting posts. It's our promised Christmas present. The boy's will deliver. :P

I can actually almost see that.

Randy Cunneyworth: Alright, boys. You have to win this one. I'm serious. You have to.

Erik Cole: Not that I don't agree, but why this one in particular?

RC: You know the lady with the camera? Comes to all the games?

EC: Yeah?

RC: She's tired of deleting bad posts. If you don't win, well... it's not good for any of you.

The room goes silent.

I wouldn't mind a win tonight, either. ;)

Were winning this one cause the mods are getting sick of deleting posts.

:lol: :lol:

sorry.

Gonna be a long night.

Snore.jpg

Archived