The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Gorges signs 6-year extension

roy_133

I wouldn't mind if subban got like a 4million a year for 5 years or something like that as well.

I think PG Sees Gorges as a top 4 then. And is hopefully going to resign Emelin

Markov Emelin

Subban Gorges

Isn't a bad top four?

However another though even during this season; Gorges has faith in this team I think. Or he knows this is the most money and term he could have gotten anywhere.

:P

that's what I'm worried about

So under Contract now we have

Josh Gorges 6 Years 3.9 Million

Andrei Markov 2 Years 5. something million

Tomas Kaberle 2 years 4.2 Million

what do you think diaz, emelin, and subban will draw. Ugh. Emelin is good though. <3

Thoughts on Kaberle, I think he actually is tradeable now, he's putting up points.

I'll preface this by saying he's been better than I expected he could be this year.

Now, the dollar figure is fair. No issue at all. 6 years? It's not back breaking because he's 27 but it's always a bit of a risk and it's only a risk I personally would take on core guys. I get the logic, you get a legitimate top 4 guy signed through his prime years for under 4 million by giving up the term and if you look at the RFA/UFA comps, it's not insane. It's just a little ballsy.

Interesting to see Gauthier still being given complete power to negotiate a 6 year deal. Wasn't sure if he still had it.

Not thrilled, not upset.

I'll preface this by saying he's been better than I expected he could be this year.

Now, the dollar figure is fair. No issue at all. 6 years? It's not back breaking because he's 27 but it's always a bit of a risk and it's only a risk I personally would take on core guys. I get the logic, you get a legitimate top 4 guy signed through his prime years for under 4 million by giving up the term and if you look at the RFA/UFA comps, it's not insane. It's just a little ballsy.

Interesting to see Gauthier still being given complete power to negotiate a 6 year deal. Wasn't sure if he still had it.

Not thrilled, not upset.

This, Said it much better than myself :lol:

Not thrilled, not upset.

+1

And on a related note, I'm just glad to see one of our players signed before the end of the season. That policy Gainey had of not negotiating with potential FAs until season's end was idiotic.

Yes, I wanted the Gorges situation taken care of before the trade deadline, and as Weep said, I'm happy PG was pro-active with this move. It makes sense for us to keep him given the lack of consistent D men on our team. As with the Markov contract, I'm not thrilled with the term we gave up; in my opinion, Gorges is worth 3.9M on a shorter-term deal or he's worth less in exchange for the security of a long-term deal. But I do understand as well that given the landscape of the free agent market right now, someone would have easily given Gorges this contract (or more) if we had not. So in a way, we didn't overpay, but we did paint ourselves into this corner by not offering him a 3- or 4-year deal this past off-season. It was in essence another no-win decision for PG though: if he had given Josh the longer deal last summer and Gorges has the same issues as Markov, Gauthier takes flack for that too. At the very least, we now know Josh's knee is holding up and PG paid more to have that information.

As for Gorges the player, he definitely fills a need on this team. He is, as I said, one of the few consistent D men we've had here in the past 5 years. He doesn't have the offensive skill, but he can log big minutes without putting us at risk and he does an outstanding job on the PK. One other thing that's crucial about what he gives us is that he can play both sides of the ice well, something not too many of our guys have been able to do. This added flexibility is important given how many injuries we've had and how many young players we're working in and out of the line-up. The signing also means that it is a virtual certainty that Gill, Campoli, and Weber are done here. With Markov, Kaberle, and now Gorges locked in and Subban, Diaz, and Emelin having earned spots here, we really don't have a need for any of the others. It'll be interesting now to see if PG, knowing he has Josh locked up, feels more comfortable shipping off some of the excess baggage now.

Yes, I wanted the Gorges situation taken care of before the trade deadline, and as Weep said, I'm happy PG was pro-active with this move. It makes sense for us to keep him given the lack of consistent D men on our team. As with the Markov contract, I'm not thrilled with the term we gave up; in my opinion, Gorges is worth 3.9M on a shorter-term deal or he's worth less in exchange for the security of a long-term deal. But I do understand as well that given the landscape of the free agent market right now, someone would have easily given Gorges this contract (or more) if we had not. So in a way, we didn't overpay, but we did paint ourselves into this corner by not offering him a 3- or 4-year deal this past off-season. It was in essence another no-win decision for PG though: if he had given Josh the longer deal last summer and Gorges has the same issues as Markov, Gauthier takes flack for that too. At the very least, we now know Josh's knee is holding up and PG paid more to have that information.

As for Gorges the player, he definitely fills a need on this team. He is, as I said, one of the few consistent D men we've had here in the past 5 years. He doesn't have the offensive skill, but he can log big minutes without putting us at risk and he does an outstanding job on the PK. One other thing that's crucial about what he gives us is that he can play both sides of the ice well, something not too many of our guys have been able to do. This added flexibility is important given how many injuries we've had and how many young players we're working in and out of the line-up. The signing also means that it is a virtual certainty that Gill, Campoli, and Weber are done here. With Markov, Kaberle, and now Gorges locked in and Subban, Diaz, and Emelin having earned spots here, we really don't have a need for any of the others. It'll be interesting now to see if PG, knowing he has Josh locked up, feels more comfortable shipping off some of the excess baggage now.

I think Gill will be kept around, let's face it, his play isn't going to drop off noticeably, you know what you are going to get from him. He can't get any slower.

I see Markov, Diaz, Emelin, Gorges, Subban, Kaberle and Gill as our seven D going forward.

Campoli and Weber should be shipped ASAP and hopefully they will get us something decent in return. Campoli should have some value, he is a solid player and Weber is still very young.

Don't love the term, although it could work in our favor, in general I just don't like deals with that length because you have no idea how things will look in a few years. My other concern is we don't know what the CBA will look like: it's entirely possible the NHL gets a lower cap (by forcing the players to take a smaller percent of revenue) while not succeeding in a cut to existing contracts, which could turn this contract into 5 million a year deal by today's standards.

On the other hand, Gorges has been relatively healthy, consistent, and I don't think he's the type of player who will stop playing hard once he gets his big deal, so it is relatively low-risk for a six-year deal.

Guest Regis2

Campoli and Weber should be shipped ASAP and hopefully they will get us something decent in return. Campoli should have some value, he is a solid player and Weber is still very young.

I don't see us getting much for either two of those guys

Campoli was an UFA this yr and no team wanted him and Weber, as you say is still young , then we should keep him .

We don't know what's goign on with AM

Gorges , as Roy_133 said " Not thrilled, not upset. "

It is what it is . The team needed to stabilize the D . And one part of it is signed

Time to find a way to move the guy wearing # 11

I think Gill will be kept around, let's face it, his play isn't going to drop off noticeably, you know what you are going to get from him. He can't get any slower.

I see Markov, Diaz, Emelin, Gorges, Subban, Kaberle and Gill as our seven D going forward.

I agree that we know what we're getting with Gill and that he's less likely than a Spacek/Hamrlik to see his game have a sudden drop-off since his game is not dependent on speed or shot strength. However, now that Josh is locked up, I see us as having 6 D men capable of playing in the NHL already. By next year, our younger guys will have more experience and I think it will be easier to fit in a guy like St-Denis, who could be quite capable defensively and will be cheaper than Gill to put into the 7th D man role. I'd also like to leave open the possibility of going after another top 4 D man (best case scenario would be Suter, but there are other options available too). If PG can clear some of Gomez/Gio/Cammy, it allows us to go after a big shutdown guy and upgrade over Gill with those savings.

However, now that Josh is locked up, I see us as having 6 D men capable of playing in the NHL already. By next year, our younger guys will have more experience and I think it will be easier to fit in a guy like St-Denis, who could be quite capable defensively and will be cheaper than Gill to put into the 7th D man role. I'd also like to leave open the possibility of going after another top 4 D man (best case scenario would be Suter, but there are other options available too). If PG can clear some of Gomez/Gio/Cammy, it allows us to go after a big shutdown guy and upgrade over Gill with those savings.

Yes, I like this logic.

If there wasn't already a heap of long term and overpaid contracts plaguing the roster this signing would be a-lot easier to digest. As you have said it would be nice to somehow get one of or multiple contracts off this team like Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, and when and if that happens, have more dollars to add another piece to this defense whilst saying goodbye to Gill.

Im not the biggest 'fan' of Josh but if Markov ever comes back healthy and potent the defense is in better shape. Its then just a matter of PG hopefully dislodging some pricey pieces at the mantle of the offensive core (Gio, Gom, Cam) and adding that Suter style top four Dman.

Was pretty easy for his agent to say he would have signed for less at the same term last summer. His client was coming off major knee surgery as i recall.

Glad to have Josh signed long term. Money is about right but would have preferred about 4 years.

Archived