The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

NHL Trade Deadline

NHL Trade Deadline

TRADECENTRE:Rumours From Around The League

With the NHL Trade Deadline only weeks away, teams are making decisions on whether to buy or sell and deciding which players can make the biggest difference or hold the greatest value.

Check out today's trade rumours from around the NHL beat. And follow TSN.ca each day until Deadline Day for all the updates:( I will try to keep a daily update here B) )

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk never expected his team to be so good so quickly. He went on record on Monday saying that in the right circumstances, his club will look to improve at or before the NHL trade deadline.

"If we continue on our road and we're healthy, we'll certainly look at doing something prior to the trade deadline and, at the very least, we'll be looking at doing something.

"But a lot also has to do with not screwing around with a good thing," Melnyk said.

Read the story in the Ottawa Citizen.

---

The Toronto Maple Leafs had their annual mid-season pro scouting meetings this week. The Leafs are currently one-point out of the playoffs and are reportedly looking for some size up front.

General Manager Brian Burke has a track record to doing deals prior to the deadline, meaning if the Leafs were to make a move it would likely be sooner rather than later.

Read the story in the Toronto Sun.

---

With the Jets in contention for a playoff spot, some of the focus has fallen on Nik Antropov, who only has five goals and 20 points this season, despite making over $4 million a year.

Is his contract a moveable one if the Jets are interested?

Read the story in the Winnipeg Sun.

---

The Chicago Blackhawks have been using Marcus Kruger as a second-line centre, and according to reports general manager Stan Bowman is looking for an upgrade there as well as on the blueline.

Read the story in the Chicago Sun Times.

----------

Over in New York, the Rangers have struggled to score goals and according to Newsday, general manager Glen Sather may start feeling the pressure to add some more offensive punch to the lineup.

Read the story in Newsday.

----------

The Pittsburgh Penguins, who have been hit hard by the injury bug, are clinging to the eighth spot in the East.

Because his team has rarely been healthy this season, general manager Ray Shero is unsure how active he'll be at the deadline.

He did go on record and say that the team's top four prospects, defencmen Joe Morrow, Simon Despres and Scott Harrington, as well as forward Beau Bennett are not on the market.

Read the story in the Tribune Review.

Will PG be active?......sellers?

Will PG be active?......sellers?

who do we sell?

Weber, Campoli, Kaberle, Gill, AK, DD, Gomez, Moen, Darche are the only ones i can see us trying to move.

We can't get rid of all the defense, and getting rid of AK and DD unless for a real good return is a backwards step imo.

The Detroit Red Wings, who currently sit in first place in the Western Conference, are reportedly looking to fill some holes before the NHL Trade Deadline.

According to reports, the club is looking for a top six and/or a bottom six forward. Because they are over $5.5 million under the salary cap, they could theoretically add a big ticket player for the stretch drive.

Read more at Michigan Live

---

Despite losing defenceman Mike Green for the next four to six weeks following sports hernia surgury, general manager George McPhee doesn't appear to be in a hurry to make a trade.

"I don't know how this will affect anything six weeks from now," McPhee said. "We'll just have to see."

Read more at CSN Washington

---

The Columbus Dispatch speculates as to what the Blue Jackets may do with veteran netminder Curtis Sanford who is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

Sanford was brought to Columbus to add depth in goal, but has arguably been the best netminder for the Blue Jackets this season.

While Sanford's stats haven't been outstanding (8-10-3, 2.54 GAA, .912 save percentage), the Blue Jackets may decide to get what they can for the 32-year-old before he reaches free agency.

Read more at Columbus Dispatch

and getting rid of AK

Nashville?

Bobby's World

As one of the hottest names on the trade market, Anaheim Ducks star Bobby Ryan has responded to the rumours by catching fire on the ice with seven goals and four assists in his last 12 games.

"I'm well aware," Ryan said of the rumors. "It's frustrating because I think my play over the past 10 games has been good enough to where they should cease a little bit and there should be some protection there."

Read more at Orange County Register

---

Sizing It Up

The Toronto Maple Leafs have lost three straight and are 4-5-1 in their last ten games, dropping them into ninth in the Eastern Conference.

Steve Buffery of the Toronto Sun speculates on what the Leafs should do if they are planning to make a return to the post-season this year. First and foremost they need to add size up front, something Brian Burke is trying to do.

Read more at Toronto Sun

---

The Hard Sell

While the Winnipeg Jets are on the outside looking in at a playoff position, Gary Lawless of the Winnipeg Free Press suggests that Jets should become sellers at the trade deadline.

Being the best of the non-playoff teams is not the blueprint towards an eventual Stanley Cup run, so perhaps the Jets need to step back before they can take a big step forward.

Read more at Winnipeg Free Press

---

Offence on the Mind

Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray said his club is in buying mode, looking to add an offensive player that can help keep the Sens in a playoff spot.

Murray's last trade, acquiring Kyle Turris, has paid off with the young forward posting 11 points in 15 games since joining the club.

Read more at Ottawa Sun

---

Running Wild

With a slew of injuries hitting their roster, Minnesota Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is under pressure to make a move to keep his team in the playoff race.

The Wild are missing injured Mikko Koivu, Guillaume Latendresse and Pierre-Marc Bouchard and current sit in ninth in the Western Conference. Several teams are in the hunt for top-six forwards, making Fletcher's task even more difficult.

Read more at Star Tribune

---

Considering Drew?

The Edmonton Journal offers Buffalo Sabres forward Drew Stafford as an option for the Oilers. The 26-year-old Stafford is in his prime and has ties to the Edmonton area.

Stafford could be one of several Sabres on the block, including Derek Roy and Brad Boyes.

Read more at Edmonton Journal

The two best power forwards that have become available this season both play for the Habs,Nice great work it must drive other GM's crazy like Burkey in Toronto missing the boat on those guys.(Cole and Bourque)nobody can say Gauthier doesn't do his job,the team is getting to resemble a pro NHL team finally.Go Pierre Go!

With multiple teams in the hunt for a top-six forward, TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun runs down the list of names that may be available on in a piece on ESPN.com.

The list includes Derek Roy, Brad Boyes and Drew Stafford in Buffalo; Vaclav Prospal, Antoine Vermette and Kristian Huselius in Columbus; Ales Hemsky in Edmonton; Tuomo Ruutu in Carolina; and Jason Blake in Anaheim.

Read more at ESPN

---

Stay or Leave?

Nashville Predators defenceman Ryan Suter continues to be one of the hotter names in the rumour mill, but there are no guarantees that he's leaving the Music City.

"If you're asking what I'm going to do, my gut is that we're going to be trying to add to our team and if we're adding to our team, we certainly don't want to be taking away from it by making a deal like that," Predators GM David Poile said of trading Suter.

Read more at ESPN

---

Star-Crossed

While it remains to be seen whether the Dallas Stars will be buyers or sellers at the trade deadline, Mike Heika, the Stars beat writer for the Dallas Morning News believes the club won't look to make a trade to fill in for injured forwards Mike Ribeiro and Jamie Benn.

Read more at Dallas Morning News

Heika also suggests that if the Stars don't agree on a contract extension with Nicklas Grossman, that they would be best served by trading the soon-to-be UFA.

Read more at Dallas Morning News

---

Feeling Minnesota

Minnesota Wild goaltender Josh Harding is well aware that his name is being mentioned in a variety of trade rumours, according to Michael Russo of the Star Tribune. Minnesota is in the market for a top-six forward and moving Harding, who is an unrestricted free agent at year's end, could help them acquire one.

---

Change of Scenery?

Marc Antoine Godin of La Presse ponders the future of Montreal Canadiens defencemen Hall Gill and whether the veteran defender will be in Montreal much longer.

With Gill set to become an unrestricted free agent and the Canadiens struggling, Gill could be a prime candidate to be moved to a team in search of defensive help.

Read more at La Presse

---

Honest Approach

The Chicago Blackhawks are in the market for a veteran centre and a quality defencemen before the tradeline arrives on February 27.

According to the Chicago Sun Times, the Blackhawks have made their intentions known around the league as they look to imrpove their club for a playoff run.

Read more at Chicago Sun Times

---

Show and Tell

The San Jose Sharks have sent Antero Nittymaki down to their AHL affiliate Worcester for a second dconditioning assignment.

David Pollack of the Mercury News suggests this may be an opportunity to showcase Nittymaki for potential trade partners.

Read more at Mercury News

Replacements?

With the likely season-ending injury to Chris Pronger, the Buffalo News looks at who the Flyers could be targeting to replace the big defenceman, along with other trade rumours around the NHL.

Read more at Buffalo News

---

Potential Moves

The Columbus Blue Jackets will likely make some moves at the trade deadline. The Columbus Post Dispatch looks at what those moves could be, including trading Jeff Carter or a goalie.

Read more at Columbus Post Dispatch

---

What's In Store

The Minnesota Wild started the season strong before hitting some struggles. The Star Tribune takes a look at what that could mean for the team at the trade deadline.

---

Standing Pat

As always, there will be plenty of deals made leading up to the trade deadline, but the Denver Post suggests it would be in the best interests of the Colorado Avalanche to refrain from making any moves this year.

Read more at Denver Post

With the All-Star Game this weekend in Ottawa, the Globe and Mail says there are five players to watch as trade talks heat up in the Nation's Capital. Included are Anaheim's Bobby Ryan, Edmonton's Ales Hemsky, the Blue Jackets' Vaclav Prospal, Carolina's Tuomo Ruutu, and Buffalo's Drew Stafford.

Read more in the Globe and Mail.

---

Time to Sell?

With the Buffalo Sabres back home and reeling after an 0-5 road trip, rumours are circulating that the team may be sellers at the Feb. 27 Trade Deadline. While sitting 14th in the Eastern Conference, The Buffalo News suggests that a Sabres sell-off of some players seems inevitable.

Read more in The Buffalo News.

---

The Need for "D"

The Chicago Blackhawks are said to be looking to enhance their blueline. The team has allowed 138 goals in 49 games. The top pairing of Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook has been solid of late, but the team is looking for more depth to back them up.

Read more in the Chicago Sun-Times.

---

Wild Rumour?

The Minneapolis Star Tribune says that defenceman Marek Zidlicky, who was a healthy scratch on Saturday for the first time this season, could be used as trade bait by the Minnesota Wild. The 35-year-old has a modified no-trade clause, and will earn $4 million next season.

Read more in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

At the top of the list was Columbus Blue Jackets centre Jeff Carter. There were two Canadian-based players on the list: Toronto Maple Leaf Mikhail Grabovski and Edmonton Oiler Ales Hemsky. Derek Roy of the Sabres, James van Riemsdyk of the Flyers and Coyotes veteran Ray Whitney rounded out the list.

Watch TSN Insider Trading here.

Capital Deals?

The Ottawa Sun says that with their recent success, the Senators might become buyers at the deadline instead of sellers. But team owner Eugene Melnyk suggested that despite the acquisition of Kyle Turris, fans shouldn't expect a flurry of activity. "(Dealing) would come with one caveat. Let's not lose focus of what our job is: That's to rebuild," Melnyk told the newspaper.

Read more in the Ottawa Sun.

Brand New Jackets?

ESPN.com listed five Columbus Blue Jackets who could be used in trades should Columbus decide to enter the market. They include Jeff Carter, Vaclav Prospal, Antoine Vermette, Samuel Pahlsson and Derick Brassard. With just 13 wins in 48 games, the Jackets are dead last overall in the league standings.

Read more on ESPN.com.

Feeling Ducky

Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray told the L.A. Times that he will not be moving Teemu Selanne prior to the deadline. Selanne and Saku Koivu both have no-trade clauses, in any case. But is there anyone else he might move? "The guys are going to show me who wants to stay here and who doesn't," said Murray. "I'll keep watching. There's no time frame on anything. It's a long time between now and the deadline. We'll see where this goes."

Read more in the L.A. Times.

Interesting to see Grabovski's name floating around, I was under the impression he was a pretty important piece in Toronto. He's on pace for nearly identical numbers this year (around 30g/30a), which seems like solid production. I don't know if he plays all of his time with Kessel and Lupul, or if he's playing more on the second line, but Kessel and Lupul have been one of the more consistently dangerous combinations in the NHL, so I'd be surprised to see Burkie tinker with anything that might affect that.

Interesting to see Grabovski's name floating around, I was under the impression he was a pretty important piece in Toronto. He's on pace for nearly identical numbers this year (around 30g/30a), which seems like solid production. I don't know if he plays all of his time with Kessel and Lupul, or if he's playing more on the second line, but Kessel and Lupul have been one of the more consistently dangerous combinations in the NHL, so I'd be surprised to see Burkie tinker with anything that might affect that.

I believe Grabs has been spending more time on the 2nd and 3rd lines this year and that Bozak has been the guy playing between Kessel and Lupul. With Connolly in the mix too, I guess Grabs has become expendable. Not interested in him being back in Mtl though...

I believe Grabs has been spending more time on the 2nd and 3rd lines this year and that Bozak has been the guy playing between Kessel and Lupul. With Connolly in the mix too, I guess Grabs has become expendable. Not interested in him being back in Mtl though...

It was only a matter of time with Burke's love of the truculent North American players.

I suppose with Connolly he becomes somewhat expendable, but if Grabs is not on the first line then if I were Burke I might be even less inclined to move him given his production rate. It's tough to get that level of consistent production from second or third line guys on some teams.

While the market appears to be calm right now as selling teams wait to see if the prices go up for players, Dreger discusses what the Leafs might have to give up as they try to land a difference maker.

"If Burke is going to make an impactful deal, then he's going to have to give away potential, and that's Nazem Kadri, Luke Schenn, players like that," Dreger said. "Otherwise, you're tinkering."

Listen to the complete segment here.

The First Step?

According to Boston.com (The Boston Globe), the decision by Tim Thomas to not join his teammates at the White House on Monday may be the first step towards the Stanley Cup champions and their Conn Smythe Trophy winner eventually parting ways.

An article on the website notes that both GM Peter Chiarelli and Cam Neely were disappointed in Thomas' decision to decline the invitation in Washington. The 37-year-old's no-movement clause expires at the end of the season, and with the emergence of back-up Tuukka Rask, Thomas could bring a strong return on the trade market.

Read more at Boston.com.

Contract Players

Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford told the Charlotte Observer that Joni Pitkanen's injury status (concussion, injured reserve) would not necessarily inhibit any potential trades involving the defenceman.

And by trading away potential unrestricted free agent Alexei Ponikarovsky to the Devils, there is speculation that the club's other potential UFA's - Tim Gleason, Bryan Allen and Jaroslav Spacek - could be moved as well.

"If we were to trade a UFA for a veteran player, we would want control of him next year or the next few years," explained Rutherford. "Usually, we have looked to bring in younger players, but a hockey deal where a veteran player is under contract also is a possibility."

Read more in the Charlotte Observer.

Sick Bay in San Jose

CSNBayArea.com says that the knee injury this week to defenceman Brent Burns, in addition to current injuries to Martin Havlat and Ryane Clowe, means Sharks GM Doug Wilson may have to go shopping before the Feb. 27 trade deadline.

The potential recovery time of the trio will go a long way to determining San Jose's next move.

Read more on CSNBayArea.com.

Music City to Broadway?

The New York Times suggests that the Rangers' woeful power play could be vastly improved if GM Glen Sather went after one of the Nashville duo of Ryan Suter (UFA after season) or Shea Weber (restricted free agent).

The newspaper says that the Blueshirts would have to give up a roster player, high draft pick, or prospect to make it happen.

Read more in the New York Times.

Hey Habs fans, huge Oilers fan here. There have been rumors on the Oilers message board about a trade between the EDM and MTL. Personally i don't know what to think about both these proposed trades and that is why I am posting here. Please let me know what you guys think of these trades.

1.) EDM first round pick (very likely to be a lottery pick) for PK Subban and a second round pick

2.) Sam Gagner for PK Subban

Gagne is only 22 and has lots of potential. He should be a 60-70pt guy in his prime and personally i would love to keep him in EDM, but our blue line is brutal so we could use any help we could get in that department.

Hey Habs fans, huge Oilers fan here. There have been rumors on the Oilers message board about a trade between the EDM and MTL. Personally i don't know what to think about both these proposed trades and that is why I am posting here. Please let me know what you guys think of these trades.

1.) EDM first round pick (very likely to be a lottery pick) for PK Subban and a second round pick

2.) Sam Gagner for PK Subban

Gagne is only 22 and has lots of potential. He should be a 60-70pt guy in his prime and personally i would love to keep him in EDM, but our blue line is brutal so we could use any help we could get in that department.

Option #1 is interesting, but I doubt it would happen. We here have discussed the potentiality of trading P.K. Subban, but most of the "rumours" out of Montreal have been media driven with no real substance that we, as fans, can tell.

Option #2 would not interest the Canadiens. We feel strongly that Subban has much more value to this team as a 22 year old defenceman than Sam Gagner could bring to us now or in the future.

From TSN....

While Francois Gagnon wrote in La Presse on Tuesday that P.K. Subban could be a good trade component to bring in that elite centre that the Montreal Canadiens need, there doesn't seem to be any indication that the young blueliner is being shopped.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun tweeted on Wednesday that none of the GMs he spoke to had heard Subban's name as being available.

TSN Scout Craig Button also found the speculation tough to believe, saying 29 other teams would be on the phone if he was being shopped.

From TSN....

While Francois Gagnon wrote in La Presse on Tuesday that P.K. Subban could be a good trade component to bring in that elite centre that the Montreal Canadiens need, there doesn't seem to be any indication that the young blueliner is being shopped.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun tweeted on Wednesday that none of the GMs he spoke to had heard Subban's name as being available.

TSN Scout Craig Button also found the speculation tough to believe, saying 29 other teams would be on the phone if he was being shopped.

You mean all of those teams that booed him and the players that had said scurrilous comments about him? :rolleyes::P

Raymond's Days Numbered?

With Mason Raymond struggling this season, Jason Botchford writes in the National Post that he may have the upside and room for improvement that could make him a trade commoditity as the deadline draws closer.

Read it here.

All About P.K.

Watch Button's analysis here.

Oil Change for Gagner?

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger said on the NHL on TSN on Wednesday night that while the Edmonton Oilers are not shopping Sam Gagner, there's a chance that the team will move him before the trade deadline.

According to Dreger, every time Steve Tambellini calls about a defenceman, Gagner's name is thrown out there.

Watch Darren's Insider segment here.

Carter a Scare?

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger says that the Blue Jackets would like to deal Jeff Carter at the trade deadline, but the 10 years left on his contract at $5.27 million a season will be a hinderance to any team interested.

Watch Darren's Insider segment here.

Thomas Talk

While Wednesday's Boston Globe story on Tim Thomas' future with the Bruins was speculative in nature, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger did mention on TSN Radio 1050 on Thursday that Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli spoke to him last year about Tuukka Rask being the goaltender who will be a big part of their future.

While that may or may not lead to much speculation on Thomas's status with the Bruins leading into the trade deadline, it is something to think about after the White House incident on Monday.

Listen to Darren's discussion on this on TSN Radio 1050's podcast.

Blue Line Squeeze

Lance Hornby of The Toronto Sun writes that Leafs GM Brian Burke's trade focus will be more about 'Decoration not detonation' and suggests that defenceman Luke Schenn can be a prime trade candidate after the team signed John-Michael Liles to a four-year, $15 million US contract extension.

Read it in the Toronto Star here.

Buying Futures

According to Ed Tait of The Winnipeg Free Press, Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff is looking to be a buyer before Feb. 27, but not in the conventional short-term sense.

"We've been very open and candid about our situation: We're always going to be buyers for things that are going to help us in the future," Cheveldayoff told the paper. "That's the approach we've taken and that's the approach we're going to continue to take.

"But that's an astute way to look at it: when you move an asset you are essentially a buyer and a seller. Everything comes at a cost and that's where you have to determine if you want to pay the cost and if the price is reasonable."

Read it here in The Winnipeg Sun.

Looking to get Bigger

Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun takes a look at a number of rumours and reports from around the league. Among those included are Brian Burke and the Maple Leafs trying to get bigger and possibly targeting the Sharks' Ryan Clowe, the Hurricanes current high asking price for their defencemen, and whether or not Ryan Miller could be moved.

Read it in the Ottawa Sun here.

Adding Depth

The Boston Bruins could be active at the trade deadline, and while they'd fall under the category of buyers, it will likely be for roster depth. Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe takes a look at GM Peter Chiarelli's deadline moves from last year and suggests a number of players the team could be targeting this time around.

Read it in the Boston Globe here.

In the Race?

On Blue Breakfast on TSN Radio 1050 Darren Dreger said he expects trade talk to start slow while teams figure out if they will be buyers or sellers heading up to the trade deadline. One name Dreger said that could be moved as early as next week is Carolina Hurricanes' forward Tuomo Ruutu.

Steve Simmons noted the Leafs' number of defencemen as an asset and speculated they could move one of them for help up front.

Listen to Darren and Steve's discussion on this on TSN Radio 1050's podcast.

Finding a Campbell Replacement

With Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa being teamed with former Blackhawk Brian Campbell for the All-Star Game, Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times points out how the team misses the puck-moving defenceman. Jahns assesses the Campbell trade and notes GM Stan Bowman is looking for a d-man for the stretch run.

Read it in the Chicago Sun-Times here.

Archived